Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 85594 times)

ElonMuskaBeats (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2156
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #180 on: May 03, 2021, 04:27:21 PM »

Holler if you know me, SF!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

FatGuy92

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #181 on: May 03, 2021, 07:08:36 PM »
Who are your guys favorite curb skaters?

Some that come to my mind are Lucero, Tom Knox (Santa Cruz), Jason Adams, John Benton & Ace Pelka

100% on your list. Will also add Dane Brady and Ryan Townley.

Also, I finally got fs slappys on squared off curbs today. Took me forever to get the technique down. Hyped that now I don’t have to find slightly slanted red curbs anymore.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #182 on: May 03, 2021, 07:25:56 PM »

Holler if you know me, SF!
COVID curb in the wild. Rad.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #183 on: May 04, 2021, 02:35:53 PM »
So...
I was at the Rockridge skurbs this morning, and may I just take a moment to sing the praises of whoever the self designated curb keepers of that spot are, because I was able to surf a new (to me) break today, thanks to their tender loving care (and bondo, and wax.)
If I can suck up the wimp a little, I might try it to feeble one day.
Until then, I offer this meager BS slapper through the “steep” corner.
Many shaloms to y’all.
https://vimeo.com/545215853

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1019
« Reply #184 on: May 04, 2021, 03:12:59 PM »
Damn Lou out here taking all the slappys. That was sick man.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #185 on: May 04, 2021, 04:23:22 PM »
anyone got any el paso curbs?

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #186 on: May 04, 2021, 05:16:18 PM »
So...
I was at the Rockridge skurbs this morning, and may I just take a moment to sing the praises of whoever the self designated curb keepers of that spot are, because I was able to surf a new (to me) break today, thanks to their tender loving care (and bondo, and wax.)
Many shaloms to y’all.

That’s a tight angle. Rad!

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #187 on: May 04, 2021, 05:18:06 PM »
So...
Many shaloms to y’all.
Rad @Lou Strux.
I guess I’ll have to actually contribute as well.
Recently learned switch backside. Not impressive but I’m happy.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GWBrupCG3sE

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #188 on: May 04, 2021, 07:54:19 PM »
Expand Quote
So...
Many shaloms to y’all.
[close]
Rad @Lou Strux.
I guess I’ll have to actually contribute as well.
Recently learned switch backside. Not impressive but I’m happy.

Both so good!

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

ilovegay

• Rep: 9
« Reply #189 on: May 04, 2021, 08:51:16 PM »
I landed a couple sketchy front slappy backside flip outs mid curb today. A clean one is coming soon and I can’t wait. It will feel good to knock it off the bucket list.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #190 on: May 05, 2021, 06:03:57 AM »
Just came back to the east coast for the first time after a year in CA and god damn I forgot how disgusting most of our curbs are over here. Any trick learned/landed in SoCal is basically cheating. Land that shit on a completely porous slab of eastern concrete with snowplow chunks missing and pockmarks from rock salt— that’s much more impressive.

Yes I’m bitter that all the new tricks I learned on buttery red curbs are suddenly far more difficult.  ;)

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #191 on: May 05, 2021, 06:24:05 AM »
Just came back to the east coast for the first time after a year in CA and god damn I forgot how disgusting most of our curbs are over here. Any trick learned/landed in SoCal is basically cheating. Land that shit on a completely porous slab of eastern concrete with snowplow chunks missing and pockmarks from rock salt— that’s much more impressive.

Yes I’m bitter that all the new tricks I learned on buttery red curbs are suddenly far more difficult.  ;)

FWIW I can go from spot to spot, to nearly identical curbs, and lose tricks.

That being said, I am psyched because I think I got switch fs 5050 slappies next time I go out.

stupidfuckface

• Rep: 19
« Reply #192 on: May 05, 2021, 06:32:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

FWIW I can go from spot to spot, to nearly identical curbs, and lose tricks.

That being said, I am psyched because I think I got switch fs 5050 slappies next time I go out.

Switch fs are super fun, switch bs are terrifying...

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #193 on: May 05, 2021, 06:35:18 AM »

Yea in Texas most of them are rough here, been on the search for a nice red curb that isn't on a death trap of a road or a parking lot with 4 security guards
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

cky enthusiast

« Reply #194 on: May 05, 2021, 07:23:48 AM »
the curb version of the “california picnic table” so to speak

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #195 on: May 05, 2021, 07:35:26 AM »

Pacific Northwest checking in
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #196 on: May 05, 2021, 12:02:27 PM »
I live in France now and painted curbs are very very far few and between, but I did email the safety group at my job site and asked why they are not painted yellow/red considering 70% of the employees are foreign...fingers crossed..

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #197 on: May 05, 2021, 01:09:09 PM »
Been on the hunt for good double-sided curbs in Oklahoma City forever. They are hard to find!

Like most other things in skateboarding, most cities in California definitely have an abundance of amazing curbs almost everywhere you go. That along with the sidewalks and curb cuts make it such a great place for just going outside and skateboarding.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #198 on: May 05, 2021, 01:33:23 PM »
I've got plans to get a curb started tonight in a reasonably well-lit parking lot within skating distance from my house. I have my rub brick, lacquer, brush, and hi viz vest all ready to go.  Anyone bondo cracks in their slappy curbs?  I was thinking about picking up some of this just to get a nice, long, seamless section of curb going:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Bondo-Pro-Series-1-qt-High-Bond-Filler-and-Hardener-PN31845/303713126

Worth it or no? 

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #199 on: May 05, 2021, 01:37:25 PM »
I've got plans to get a curb started tonight in a reasonably well-lit parking lot within skating distance from my house. I have my rub brick, lacquer, brush, and hi viz vest all ready to go.  Anyone bondo cracks in their slappy curbs?  I was thinking about picking up some of this just to get a nice, long, seamless section of curb going:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Bondo-Pro-Series-1-qt-High-Bond-Filler-and-Hardener-PN31845/303713126

Worth it or no?

How bad are the cracks? Bondo is nice because it dries so quickly but you can use some actual concrete mix and it may last longer and adhere to the existing concrete better. Cement-All works pretty well (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rapid-Set-55-lb-Cement-All-Multi-Purpose-Construction-Material-02010055/202188447) or if you're at Lowe's they carry "Pro-Mix" by Sakrete.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #200 on: May 05, 2021, 01:44:24 PM »

Worth it or no?
Its not the most durable in the world, but it works pretty dang well until it fails. There after, just repatch as needed.
I'm a fan of smoothing out the cracks, if'n you're putting in the work already, don'tcha know?

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #201 on: May 05, 2021, 02:05:23 PM »
Expand Quote

Worth it or no?
[close]

How bad are the cracks? Bondo is nice because it dries so quickly but you can use some actual concrete mix and it may last longer and adhere to the existing concrete better. Cement-All works pretty well (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rapid-Set-55-lb-Cement-All-Multi-Purpose-Construction-Material-02010055/202188447) or if you're at Lowe's they carry "Pro-Mix" by Sakrete.

They're just normal expansion joints between 8-10 foot segments of curb.  Nothing you couldn't grind over, but it will slow you right down and feel like trash.  I'm not overly worried about how long it lasts, since I'm not 100 percent sure if I'll be left alone skating there, although I have high hopes.  But that rapid set patching mix doesn't seem to take too much longer to be able to work with and it would obviously last a better, so maybe it's worth the effort of doing two nights of prep.

Its not the most durable in the world, but it works pretty dang well until it fails. There after, just repatch as needed.
I'm a fan of smoothing out the cracks, if'n you're putting in the work already, don'tcha know?

Yeah, I want a curb where I can (hopefully) do my thing in peace in the evenings and just be able to have fun with it, so I would definitely prefer it to be as nice as can be.  This one's double sided, which is sick, but it's just got hard, rocky dirt on the other side from the pavement, and it doesn't seem fun to slam on that. Maybe it can be a test run, and hopefully I'll find my grail curb before too much longer.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #202 on: May 05, 2021, 02:40:06 PM »
In the recent Indy Trucks video on YouTube, the photographer guy who works for Independent recommends using concrete sealer instead of spray lacquer, which I am now psyched to try since, in many places, all of the sights and sounds associated with spray lacquer scream "CALL THE POLICE".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfW_Rve21Lc
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
« Reply #203 on: May 05, 2021, 03:06:54 PM »
In the recent Indy Trucks video on YouTube, the photographer guy who works for Independent recommends using concrete sealer instead of spray lacquer, which I am now psyched to try since, in many places, all of the sights and sounds associated with spray lacquer scream "CALL THE POLICE".

The mans name is rhino and he’s never shopping at Home Depot again.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
« Reply #204 on: May 05, 2021, 03:08:03 PM »

I saw this just last night and I agree it sounds pretty slick. If you’re going for the “I’m a maintenance guy and I belong here” look, using a bucket and brush definitely helps. I’m probably gonna try this stuff over the weekend, I have a curb in my sights... but the Loews near my house was out of rub bricks when I went last night >.<

With that said I’ll also note that if you’re in a reasonably secluded spot you can wrap the can up in a towel or something both to disguise the appearance and muffle the sound of a clacking can.

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #205 on: May 05, 2021, 03:12:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

The mans name is rhino and he’s never shopping at Home Depot again.

Spot fixing supplies purchased at Ace hardware confirmed.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 538
« Reply #206 on: May 05, 2021, 03:44:41 PM »
The fact that his board went over so many times and it didn't freak him out is amazing. I walked by there and was too chicken shit to look over the edge.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #207 on: May 08, 2021, 03:15:40 PM »
i just would like to say curb skating is actually high impact...
thougts?

lovermangenius

• Rep: 16
« Reply #208 on: May 08, 2021, 03:58:35 PM »
i just would like to say curb skating is actually high impact...
thougts?

I was in oakland for a few weeks earlier this year and skated rockridge almost every morning. I never dealt with any pain. Coming back to LA and trying to skate the higher curbs around me I started jamming my knees up pretty badly within a few sessions, way more than skating flat or little ledges. It might be a technique thing, but I can see how people would find it hard on their bodies.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 241
« Reply #209 on: May 08, 2021, 07:11:28 PM »
My hips hurt constantly and I think it’s just from slamming my board into curbs at high speeds so I would say yes.