Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 88655 times)

JANUS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #780 on: June 26, 2022, 05:53:15 AM »
I’ve never used brushing lacquer on a curb until now. Anybody know how long I should let it dry before it’s skateable?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #781 on: June 26, 2022, 10:08:42 AM »
I’ve never used brushing lacquer on a curb until now. Anybody know how long I should let it dry before it’s skateable?
A day or too before you wax it if youre shooting for longevity/want less maintenance but in a pinch you can hit it as soon as it seems dry

yes if you have the tight trucks you can go into the 2 wheel much easier. if they are too loose you will wheelbite before you get up there.

Yeah but a loose truck will rock up onto a curb easier, especially an angled one. I was on a sesh once a little stoned just watching everybody's front truck jolt up when their toeside wheel touched and front slappys just clicked for me

Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #782 on: June 27, 2022, 06:59:55 AM »
yeah i prefer the loose trucks too, it just feels like a more stylish and fun way to skate in general so i am sticking with it without going too crazy

cant believe this guy can slappy he must weigh over 300. no excuse.

so sick

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #783 on: June 27, 2022, 10:34:08 AM »
Thanks, Dwyck!
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #784 on: June 28, 2022, 04:59:25 AM »
yes if you have the tight trucks you can go into the 2 wheel much easier. if they are too loose you will wheelbite before you get up there. also hard wheels allows you do slide into it from the angle easier. i just lift the nose and tail in the pockets i dont really care if its not "proper" slappy either, its fun. instead of lifting the board up from the sides, you are lifting it from the front and back.

i never see this discussed. its the same reason why i think smaller/medium wheels work better. i used to ride 60mm on indy 215's one one setup and i couln't slappy with that setup at all (no probem on my other setup). the wheels would just hit the deck and stop climbing. and then when i switched them out to 52mm it was the easiest thing ever.

now i just ride the happy medium. 169,s with 54/55mm

djoekr

• Rep: 298
« Reply #785 on: June 28, 2022, 05:58:53 AM »
Yesterday I finally learned how to get into a slappy front feeble without doing a 50 first. I accidentally didn't turn my shoulders when I hit the curb and went into a perfect feeble position. I had to leave after a few tries as it was already really late, but just hitting the curb and not twisting my shoulders seemed to do the trick. Still have to land a proper one, but I seem to finally get the technique. Is this really all there is to slappy feebles or am I overlooking something?
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #786 on: June 28, 2022, 08:21:14 AM »
Expand Quote
yes if you have the tight trucks you can go into the 2 wheel much easier. if they are too loose you will wheelbite before you get up there. also hard wheels allows you do slide into it from the angle easier. i just lift the nose and tail in the pockets i dont really care if its not "proper" slappy either, its fun. instead of lifting the board up from the sides, you are lifting it from the front and back.
[close]

i never see this discussed. its the same reason why i think smaller/medium wheels work better. i used to ride 60mm on indy 215's one one setup and i couln't slappy with that setup at all (no probem on my other setup). the wheels would just hit the deck and stop climbing. and then when i switched them out to 52mm it was the easiest thing ever.

i mean, all this works and its all personal preference to some extent, but if you want to reduce the wheelbite and still rock jumbo wheels or super-loose trucks, you could just get some risers. i know not everyone likes risers, but i recently set up a board with some big fat 1/4" risers and pretty loose ace 55s, and it's pretty fun in a squirrely weird way. it definitely slappies just fine

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 236
« Reply #787 on: June 28, 2022, 10:53:05 AM »
Last night I was trying to slappy front krook shuv out- I can slappy front nose shuv out occasionally, so it’ll happen eventually. Seems it’s all in the shoulders and less about the shuv

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #788 on: June 28, 2022, 10:54:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
i mean, all this works and its all personal preference to some extent, but if you want to reduce the wheelbite and still rock jumbo wheels or super-loose trucks, you could just get some risers. i know not everyone likes risers, but i recently set up a board with some big fat 1/4" risers and pretty loose ace 55s, and it's pretty fun in a squirrely weird way. it definitely slappies just fine

i allways ride 1/4th risers. even when i had the 52mm wheels. i advocate for them too.
i specified the 215's cause wider hangers bite faster too.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1123
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #789 on: June 28, 2022, 11:08:17 AM »
Last night I was trying to slappy front krook shuv out- I can slappy front nose shuv out occasionally, so it’ll happen eventually. Seems it’s all in the shoulders and less about the shuv

That's a sick one. slappy front krook is on my list but it scares me. gotta go slow and just work on the entry and lock in.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #790 on: June 28, 2022, 11:50:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

That's a sick one. slappy front krook is on my list but it scares me. gotta go slow and just work on the entry and lock in.

For what it’s worth, I would say try starting on a banked curb and do a little nose pivot to get into it. At first I was coming straight at the curb but eventually it gets easier to ride at it more parallel. I find that pinching my shoulder blades back really helps push it forward

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #791 on: June 28, 2022, 02:09:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

For what it’s worth, I would say try starting on a banked curb and do a little nose pivot to get into it. At first I was coming straight at the curb but eventually it gets easier to ride at it more parallel. I find that pinching my shoulder blades back really helps push it forward

Good tips. I can do slappy frontside noseslide so I just need to figure out getting my front truck up on there

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 177
« Reply #792 on: July 02, 2022, 05:24:10 AM »
Working on my fs slappys. Nothing special but getting there
https://youtube.com/shorts/0Z-2k6lo-aY?feature=share

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #793 on: July 02, 2022, 09:20:14 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
A day or too before you wax it if youre shooting for longevity/want less maintenance but in a pinch you can hit it as soon as it seems dry

Expand Quote
yes if you have the tight trucks you can go into the 2 wheel much easier. if they are too loose you will wheelbite before you get up there.
[close]

Yeah but a loose truck will rock up onto a curb easier, especially an angled one. I was on a sesh once a little stoned just watching everybody's front truck jolt up when their toeside wheel touched and front slappys just clicked for me

damn. High risk high reward spot. So sick. Thanks for sharing!

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #794 on: July 02, 2022, 12:59:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Good tips. I can do slappy frontside noseslide so I just need to figure out getting my front truck up on there

What really helped Slappy front crooks for me is thinking about Jamie Foy of all people foot position when he sits on them. Front foot all the way on the nose with toes hanging over, and back foot by the back bolts and kinda on the toe. Roll up at an extreme angle to start, and when you hit the curb kind of straighten your front leg and extend it almost in front of you, keep shoulders parallel to the curb and you’ll get grinding. Also thinking about how I did normal Slappy crooks but with the pressure on the complete opposite sides of the board and it just kind of works. Still feels bad ass looking down and seeing my board in that position. I’m also working on shove out and hope to land one this next week if all goes according to plan.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 01:07:44 PM by Gab »

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #795 on: July 02, 2022, 01:09:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

What really helped Slappy front crooks for me is thinking about Jamie Foy of all people foot position when he sits on them. Front foot all the way on the nose with toes hanging over, and back foot by the back bolts and kinda on the toe. Roll up at an extreme angle to start, and when you hit the curb kind of straighten your front leg and extend it almost in front of you, keep shoulders parallel to the curb and you’ll get grinding. Also thinking about how I did normal Slappy crooks but with the pressure on the complete opposite sides of the board and it just kind of works. Still feels bad ass looking down and seeing my board in that position. I’m also working on shove out and hope to land one this next week if all goes according to plan.

That totally makes sense, I just need to work up the nerve to try them, and then figure out the easiest way to get out (probably going to fakie).

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #796 on: July 02, 2022, 01:28:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That totally makes sense, I just need to work up the nerve to try them, and then figure out the easiest way to get out (probably going to fakie).

Coming out is the hardest part. Still surfing the curb on the ride away, I got a better one but of course didn’t film it. I foresee that once I get shove out that will be easier than coming out regular or fakie haha

https://youtube.com/shorts/4mUQ-MxHgLs?feature=share

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #797 on: July 02, 2022, 02:00:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Coming out is the hardest part. Still surfing the curb on the ride away, I got a better one but of course didn’t film it. I foresee that once I get shove out that will be easier than coming out regular or fakie haha

https://youtube.com/shorts/4mUQ-MxHgLs?feature=share

Damn those look sick. I can’t wait to learn them

Hefe43

• Rep: 176
« Reply #798 on: July 02, 2022, 02:23:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Any tips for front 5050? I can’t get my back truck onto the curb. They always just go straight into a Willie grind
[close]

Biggest thing that helped frontside slappies click for me was putting my feet in the pockets instead of over the bolts. 

I think the wider stance helps you get more leverage and having your front foot in the pocket specifically seems to allow the board to suck up onto the curb easier.

Gross
Tyshawn seems like the kind of guy to hate everyone at least a little bit

This Thing Of Ours

Keep_on_Chooglin

• Rep: 28
« Reply #799 on: July 03, 2022, 10:55:13 PM »
The powerslide into fs tail slappy might be the dumbest best feeling trick around. I love them.

FUBAR

« Reply #800 on: July 04, 2022, 07:56:09 AM »
Working on my fs slappys. Nothing special but getting there
https://youtube.com/shorts/0Z-2k6lo-aY?feature=share
Looking good, and watching is helping me get ideas on how to do them too.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #801 on: July 04, 2022, 07:59:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Any tips for front 5050? I can’t get my back truck onto the curb. They always just go straight into a Willie grind
[close]

Biggest thing that helped frontside slappies click for me was putting my feet in the pockets instead of over the bolts. 

I think the wider stance helps you get more leverage and having your front foot in the pocket specifically seems to allow the board to suck up onto the curb easier.
[close]

Gross

lol who cares

you dont have to two wheel to fs slappy either you can just quickly make the carve its just a lot harder than bs

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #802 on: July 04, 2022, 08:24:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Gross

Thank you

Hashbrownthug4200

• Rep: 0
« Reply #803 on: July 04, 2022, 10:32:55 PM »
krook tail-grab shuv, so clean!!!!

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #804 on: July 05, 2022, 04:22:49 AM »
Got a couple good front 50s and trying to work on sliding blunts. The angled slappy curb definitely feels like cheating tho. Gonna try some on a real curb after work

https://youtube.com/shorts/Lqbb3MCYqx4?feature=share

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #805 on: July 05, 2022, 06:40:45 AM »
nice diy  8)

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
« Reply #806 on: July 05, 2022, 10:06:59 AM »
Got a couple good front 50s and trying to work on sliding blunts. The angled slappy curb definitely feels like cheating tho. Gonna try some on a real curb after work

Bus stop hippie jump was sick too - I like the massive “bus stop” sign on the bus stop - makes it look like a movie set

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #807 on: July 05, 2022, 10:43:26 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Bus stop hippie jump was sick too - I like the massive “bus stop” sign on the bus stop - makes it look like a movie set
Thanks! I was feelin that sign too lol. I was scoping the spot out to wallie the glass on the side but that shit would shatter

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #808 on: July 06, 2022, 07:12:59 AM »

used this SIKA Anchorfix 2part epoxy to fix up these CHUNKS and fill in these CRACKS to take these curbs to the NEXT LEVEL!!!

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #809 on: July 06, 2022, 08:08:33 AM »
I almost got BS slappy crooks down last night on my parking block before i ran out of light.  I don't know why I've been so sketched out by BS grinds, this shit's great.