Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 85835 times)

Mule and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
  • What, me worry?
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #840 on: July 21, 2022, 08:42:02 PM »
Expand Quote
What clear/lacquer are you guys using for curbs. I have a raw curb at my house and I’ve decided to not paint and just use clear.
[close]

A mate got me onto this, works wonders

That looks good too, I’ve heard any brush on concrete Sealer will work really well. I just don’t have a garage and don’t want to deal with a can of sealer in my car trunk… the spray can enamel is easier for me (for now). If I eventually have a garage or workshop, I’ll try paint on sealers for sure.

rawbertson.

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 652
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #841 on: July 22, 2022, 07:55:39 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w73dENxudw

this is a great vid by Jef Hartsel on how to do fs slappy, I'n'I style
ONTARIO CANADA

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #842 on: July 22, 2022, 10:28:52 AM »
Expand Quote
I have finally found a slanted curb. It grinds really well and it's so easy to get into, but it absolutely destroys my trucks. The concrete is not that rough but it has a sharp edge that really digs into the hanger.

This weird groove in the middle was the result of about 20 grinds. I'm gonna bring a set of trucks that are almost done for and finish them off there in the hope that the grinds make the edge a bit more rounded.
[close]

I’m trying to grind my forged hollows into the axle so I can actually get a hole in my truck. It’s been taking a while and I’m
Starting to suspect it won’t happen because the material will just collapse

Yeah, the steel axle is much harder that the rest of the truck, even if it’s hollow, so in my experience usually you’ll get the structure collapsing before you are able to grind through the steel.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #843 on: July 22, 2022, 10:31:27 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_w73dENxudw

this is a great vid by Jef Hartsel on how to do fs slappy, I'n'I style

This is my favorite slappy video and I’ve said this here a dozen times but it was by watching this video that I finally locked in good frontside slappys.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2157
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #844 on: July 22, 2022, 10:51:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have finally found a slanted curb. It grinds really well and it's so easy to get into, but it absolutely destroys my trucks. The concrete is not that rough but it has a sharp edge that really digs into the hanger.

This weird groove in the middle was the result of about 20 grinds. I'm gonna bring a set of trucks that are almost done for and finish them off there in the hope that the grinds make the edge a bit more rounded.
[close]

I’m trying to grind my forged hollows into the axle so I can actually get a hole in my truck. It’s been taking a while and I’m
[close]

Yeah, the steel axle is much harder that the rest of the truck, even if it’s hollow, so in my experience usually you’ll get the structure collapsing before you are able to grind through the steel.
The other bonus from getting into the axle (beyond feeling like a fucking champ) is that the steel grinds like you’re on ice, by comparison. At least on curbs.
The molecularly denser material doesn’t deform as much under the rigorous forces, so to speak, involved in grinding concrete.
Not to mention, your whole kit is lighter now, as a result of there being less material on your hangers.
For me, trucks always feel best when they’re well into the axle and essentially, taking their last breath.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #845 on: July 22, 2022, 11:19:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
The other bonus from getting into the axle (beyond feeling like a fucking champ) is that the steel grinds like you’re on ice, by comparison. At least on curbs.
The molecularly denser material doesn’t deform as much under the rigorous forces, so to speak, involved in grinding concrete.
Not to mention, your whole kit is lighter now, as a result of there being less material on your hangers.
For me, trucks always feel best when they’re well into the axle and essentially, taking their last breath.

Yeah, mine are perfectly seasoned right now. Going to keep on 'em until something cracks, then I'm putting them up on a plaque in the living room like a trophy fish.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #846 on: July 22, 2022, 03:41:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Yeah, mine are perfectly seasoned right now. Going to keep on 'em until something cracks, then I'm putting them up on a plaque in the living room like a trophy fish.
I’m surprised no one has created relic’d trucks like they do for guitars.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #847 on: July 22, 2022, 03:45:53 PM »
Well, if Chico’s IG stories are to be taken as any indication, Indy’s fiddin’a drop a Stage IV copy somewhere in the fewture.
Do THAT count?

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #848 on: July 22, 2022, 04:18:37 PM »
Well, if Chico’s IG stories are to be taken as any indication, Indy’s fiddin’a drop a Stage IV copy somewhere in the fewture.
Do THAT count?
No we need ones with grooves already. But not like those weird gull wings in the 80s

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #849 on: July 22, 2022, 05:15:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Do THAT count?
[close]
No we need ones with grooves already. But not like those weird gull wings in the 80s
Ah, yes…
The “coping snatch.”

Keep_on_Chooglin

• Rep: 29
« Reply #850 on: July 22, 2022, 10:18:04 PM »
Finally put rails on my setup to see what all the fuss is about and hot damn do these things fly on the curbs (& everything). I likes.

streetmeat

• Rep: 172
« Reply #851 on: July 23, 2022, 05:43:47 AM »
new skate park in town has this perfect 14” high curb/ledge with just enough pitch to slap and learning slap feebles on it has been a fucking battle.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #852 on: July 23, 2022, 05:48:44 AM »
new skate park in town has this perfect 14” high curb/ledge with just enough pitch to slap and learning slap feebles on it has been a fucking battle.

It was all worth it for that pic alone. Glorious!
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

animalflesh

« Reply #853 on: July 23, 2022, 06:16:03 AM »

If you’re still having any issues just remember to put your weight on your back heel and lean back

streetmeat

« Reply #854 on: July 23, 2022, 06:23:30 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

If you’re still having any issues just remember to put your weight on your back heel and lean back

my issue is coming out of it. For my entire skating life i have suffered from wanting to hold grinds and slides for as long as possible (too long) and running out of momentum to get out of them smoothly lol. so i get locked in and i'm like 'HELL YEAH LETS FUCKIN GOOOO' then come to a dead stop and am like 'welp...'

animalflesh

« Reply #855 on: July 23, 2022, 06:37:24 AM »
Hahaha we have a supercurb and half the time I’m skating it I’m just coming to a stop trying to grind like 4 blocks

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #856 on: July 23, 2022, 07:52:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

my issue is coming out of it. For my entire skating life i have suffered from wanting to hold grinds and slides for as long as possible (too long) and running out of momentum to get out of them smoothly lol. so i get locked in and i'm like 'HELL YEAH LETS FUCKIN GOOOO' then come to a dead stop and am like 'welp...'

Ok this made me laugh really hard

disclosed

• Rep: 168
« Reply #857 on: July 23, 2022, 10:07:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

hahaha i have this problem with crooks.. i grind till i stop and am like fuck.. but i really cant get out of em quicker i need a moment to prepare.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #858 on: July 23, 2022, 10:18:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
hahaha i have this problem with crooks.. i grind till i stop and am like fuck.. but i really cant get out of em quicker i need a moment to prepare.
I too am super guilty of getting greedy with my grinds & slides, frequently milking them for all they’re worth, like a baby at a wet-nurse’s teat.
Alas, to no avail & I am left, like said baby, sitting in a shitty mess I just made.

Landmine

• Rep: 184
« Reply #859 on: July 23, 2022, 10:33:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]
I too am super guilty of getting greedy with my grinds & slides, frequently milking them for all they’re worth, like a baby at a wet-nurse’s teat.
Alas, to no avail & I am left, like said baby, sitting in a shitty mess I just made.

Poetry is language at its most distilled and most powerful

Frank and Fred

« Reply #860 on: July 23, 2022, 10:42:09 AM »
Love the photo @streetmeat

Feebles terrify me also. I like the heel weight/ lean back advice but I've slipped into board slide to arse crack obliteration too many times...

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #861 on: July 23, 2022, 12:41:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Do THAT count?
[close]
[close]
Lol yeah that’s one way to put it
Ah, yes…
The “coping snatch.”

animalflesh

« Reply #862 on: July 24, 2022, 07:23:10 AM »
Love the photo @streetmeat

Feebles terrify me also. I like the heel weight/ lean back advice but I've slipped into board slide to arse crack obliteration too many times...

The way I usually prevent that is by pointing my front hand directly over the curb in front of me

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #863 on: July 24, 2022, 08:04:05 AM »
Sacrifice the grind and just get the hell out….in…out….this isn’t a manual….

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 940
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #864 on: July 24, 2022, 11:07:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

Bluntslides are where I milk it, sometimes feebs...feels so good to just gooooooo.

streetmeat

« Reply #865 on: July 25, 2022, 02:01:56 PM »

on a feeble kick. mostly cause im trying to equally kill my back truck cause my front one is about to snap in half any minute

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #866 on: July 25, 2022, 02:33:26 PM »

on a feeble kick. mostly cause im trying to equally kill my back truck cause my front one is about to snap in half any minute

I'm just learning feebles, trying to figure out how to hold on to them. right now I lock into the grind and then pull out immediately.

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #867 on: July 25, 2022, 02:57:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm just learning feebles, trying to figure out how to hold on to them. right now I lock into the grind and then pull out immediately.

I can't seem to get the hang of slappy feebles. I can ollie in them just fine, but doing it while bashing your trucks doesn't seem to click. I got into one today by accident and have done this before, but everytime I go for one on purpose I end up doing an exaggerated cross-locked 50.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #868 on: July 25, 2022, 02:58:28 PM »

It is my sincere hope that this combo was as enjoyable for you to execute as it was for me to watch.
Props.

Also: where’d that 8 foot long parking block come from?
You make?

streetmeat

« Reply #869 on: July 25, 2022, 03:25:00 PM »
feebles, to me at least, are so easy to hold and sit in forever.

also, the curb is at the local skatepark. feels like cheating sometimes cause its so perfect