Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 85563 times)

mj23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #870 on: August 02, 2022, 11:46:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What clear/lacquer are you guys using for curbs. I have a raw curb at my house and I’ve decided to not paint and just use clear.
[close]

A mate got me onto this, works wonders
[close]

That looks good too, I’ve heard any brush on concrete Sealer will work really well. I just don’t have a garage and don’t want to deal with a can of sealer in my car trunk… the spray can enamel is easier for me (for now). If I eventually have a garage or workshop, I’ll try paint on sealers for sure.
not all brush-on sealer is created equal! i think i mentioned this earlier in the thread somewhere but i bought some low-luster stuff that didnt do shit. then i went out and grabbed "wet-look" sealer, which grinded like fuckin ICE after the first coat. so if you have a choice, get whatever seems the shiniest and thickest. "wet look" is great.

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #871 on: August 02, 2022, 05:30:12 PM »
Behr wet look sealer #985. I got a jug and have done 6 curbs so far and have enough leftover for about 35 more curbs.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 05:46:37 PM by FUBAR »

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 471
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #872 on: August 02, 2022, 07:47:08 PM »
Anyone prepped a pretty rough 'stony' curb?  There's one near the skate park that's perfect, but it's pretty gritty.  Was thinking that painting it might be the go, not sure though.

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #873 on: August 02, 2022, 08:01:54 PM »
I woke up Monday morning with a single goal in mind, slappy the park curb.

Coming from back alley curbs and park garages this thing was double in height. Fair to say I couldn’t even bonk from the side, gave up and found a nice slanted curb in a multi storey place a few streets on from the local

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #874 on: August 03, 2022, 05:39:17 PM »
feebles, to me at least, are so easy to hold and sit in forever.

Very true. Get a good double sided one and you can feeble forever or dip to smith and ride it out. Super fun.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #875 on: August 04, 2022, 07:33:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
What clear/lacquer are you guys using for curbs. I have a raw curb at my house and I’ve decided to not paint and just use clear.
[close]

[close]

That looks good too, I’ve heard any brush on concrete Sealer will work really well. I just don’t have a garage and don’t want to deal with a can of sealer in my car trunk… the spray can enamel is easier for me (for now). If I eventually have a garage or workshop, I’ll try paint on sealers for sure.
[close]
not all brush-on sealer is created equal! i think i mentioned this earlier in the thread somewhere but i bought some low-luster stuff that didnt do shit. then i went out and grabbed "wet-look" sealer, which grinded like fuckin ICE after the first coat. so if you have a choice, get whatever seems the shiniest and thickest. "wet look" is great.

yes always go HIGH GLOSS dont go FLAT / MATTE that shit is like chalkboard
ONTARIO CANADA

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #876 on: August 04, 2022, 10:42:28 AM »

ONTARIO CANADA

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #877 on: August 04, 2022, 12:49:43 PM »

I am jealous. That looks beautiful. I hope that is bust-free spot for lazy sundays. Bs slappy through the curve and shuv out, maybe? Seems pretty nice for that.
IG: @flowterspace

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #878 on: August 04, 2022, 04:18:27 PM »
actually sunday may be the only time you can't skate it cause its at a church. i showed up at 1pm last sunday though, and everyone was long gone for the day. also the pastor came up to me today and told me it was cool if we skate there, just "you are on your own if you get hurt". so everything is going right at this place  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/QxBo9-J1ajU
ONTARIO CANADA

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #879 on: August 04, 2022, 06:18:46 PM »
That ground looks pretty rough, or is it alright?

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #880 on: August 04, 2022, 06:52:43 PM »
Gonna go kill a pair of indys on a sharpass stone curb this weekend, come on daddy needs justification to buy AF1s
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #881 on: August 04, 2022, 07:05:49 PM »
Gonna go kill a pair of indys on a sharpass stone curb this weekend, come on daddy needs justification to buy AF1s
I like your thinking.
Before/After pics are required though.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #882 on: August 04, 2022, 10:37:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I am jealous. That looks beautiful. I hope that is bust-free spot for lazy sundays. Bs slappy through the curve and shuv out, maybe? Seems pretty nice for that.

Yeah so good with a slight corner as well, which would be fun!

Even better that they give you permission to skate there too.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #883 on: August 05, 2022, 10:03:00 AM »
Slappy on a beautiful red curb sure feels good, but how about slappy's on rugged shitty curbs you are not supposed to slappy/grind? Feels so good and magical to bulldoze through them!!!

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #884 on: August 05, 2022, 10:29:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Following a rub-bricking, I just the other day put two coats of Behr "Wet Look" sealant on a parking block up the street from my house. The concrete was super chunky, but after a good coating of wax and enough truck-aluminum deposits, it's grinding nicely. I'd say it's at least as good as spray lacquer, and I was able to apply it in full view of a police office who I presume would have paid more attention had he heard the rattling of a spray can.

Is this just a type of polyurethane? It sure looked and smelled exactly like a poly finish I've applied to wood a thousand times.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #885 on: August 05, 2022, 10:31:22 AM »
Slappy on a beautiful red curb sure feels good, but how about slappy's on rugged shitty curbs you are not supposed to slappy/grind? Feels so good and magical to bulldoze through them!!!

There's a stair at my local skatepark which has been used for slappys now for at least a decade. It's so insanely ground down, with huge chunks missing from it, and getting on there and just letting it rip is so much fun and sooooo satisfying.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1082
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #886 on: August 05, 2022, 10:58:28 AM »

Yeah definitely this. But I would argue what feels even better is when you're just skating down the street, not having a session, and you see a curb and you rip a nice slappy without knowing whether or not it will grind at all. That's my favorite.

I was in SF once and I saw one of the granite curbs and I just went for it frontside and got a nice long grind and just kept pushing on, barely slowed down. I felt like such a pro.

djoekr

• Rep: 290
« Reply #887 on: August 05, 2022, 12:48:02 PM »
All this crusty curb talk got me eager to do a front 50 on a dry curb. Felt so goddamn satisfying.

Also I once slapped my kingpin so hard on a kinda crusty curb that sparks started to fly around on some tail devil shit. Can't lie that that made me feel proud when my friends pointed it out.
Skateboarding is a joke
And if you think otherwise
you're fucked in the head

It's not that serious -
Go fast, catch a frontside
And remember why you love it

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 494
« Reply #888 on: August 05, 2022, 06:33:41 PM »

That thing looks fun. Half standard curb half tootsie roll. How’s the lock in on it?

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #889 on: August 05, 2022, 07:01:38 PM »

These are like a test on how good you are at slappys

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #890 on: August 06, 2022, 03:09:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I am always surprised when I smash into a unprepared curb and it starts to grind. Such a cool feeling.
IG: @flowterspace

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 231
« Reply #891 on: August 09, 2022, 11:26:15 AM »
Anyone here have luck with slappy front noseblunts? Been trying on a single sided curb (I know, double sided would be easier but I’m working with what I got). I got into a few where it’s like a max Palmer lock in kinda half way between a grind and a blunt

Goodcurbs

• Rep: -279
« Reply #892 on: August 09, 2022, 11:36:15 AM »
Anyone here have luck with slappy front noseblunts? Been trying on a single sided curb (I know, double sided would be easier but I’m working with what I got). I got into a few where it’s like a max Palmer lock in kinda half way between a grind and a blunt
Abe bethel has clips.  . Chris Roberts has the best arms to watch to learn the front crooks. He shovels is nose grinds well. But if it's a real front nose blunt slap than it's gotta front crook to get into it ya know. Once you're in that front crook... probably impossible on a 90 degree angle non double sided. Why don't more people early grab over curbs?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #893 on: August 09, 2022, 11:40:09 AM »
That ground looks pretty rough, or is it alright?

right beside the curb its fiarly shit. there are 3 patches where its good though so i just aim for those spots. i think i am going to put some driveway sealer stuff on it to see if it helps. i have another normal straight curb done there where the ground is perfect if i want to do tech tricks.

Expand Quote
[close]
That thing looks fun. Half standard curb half tootsie roll. How’s the lock in on it?

its ok, i was just skating 139s at lunch on it for the first time in awhile and i could hang on pretty good without overshooting it and letting my full weight sit on it without having to really pinch or anything. i would eventaully fall out though.

when i skate it with my normal 159 trucks i feel like you have to pinch it to really hang on otherwise you will overshoot. i found out if you cross lock the back truck normal but then the front truck onto the inner side of it, you can probably hang on forever. the curve definitnely adds a small challege though i
ONTARIO CANADA

Síota

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 759
« Reply #894 on: August 10, 2022, 06:14:42 AM »
I just got home from a holiday and the town council painted my favourite curb, like over my wax and all...will see tomorrow morning what it's like..

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #895 on: August 10, 2022, 06:38:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I am always surprised when I smash into a unprepared curb and it starts to grind. Such a cool feeling.

Yeah I seasoned a local curb with a fresh set of indys because it felt so good to grind unwaxed. 

cky enthusiast

« Reply #896 on: August 10, 2022, 08:28:23 AM »
Why don't more people early grab over curbs?

keep this type of thing up and i’m locking the thread

do not early grab ever

;)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2022, 08:38:06 AM by wane brady »

GetItStraitRideKrooked

• Rep: 15
« Reply #897 on: August 11, 2022, 09:58:16 PM »
Anyone got tips for slappy front crooks? I can get into them but I either stick, slip out, or just grind the smallest bit and come out to fakie.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #898 on: August 11, 2022, 10:27:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Last night I was trying to slappy front krook shuv out- I can slappy front nose shuv out occasionally, so it’ll happen eventually. Seems it’s all in the shoulders and less about the shuv
[close]

That's a sick one. slappy front krook is on my list but it scares me. gotta go slow and just work on the entry and lock in.
[close]

For what it’s worth, I would say try starting on a banked curb and do a little nose pivot to get into it. At first I was coming straight at the curb but eventually it gets easier to ride at it more parallel. I find that pinching my shoulder blades back really helps push it forward
[close]

Good tips. I can do slappy frontside noseslide so I just need to figure out getting my front truck up on there
[/quote
Expand Quote
Anyone got tips for slappy front crooks? I can get into them but I either stick, slip out, or just grind the smallest bit and come out to fakie.
[close]

What really helped Slappy front crooks for me is thinking about Jamie Foy of all people foot position when he sits on them. Front foot all the way on the nose with toes hanging over, and back foot by the back bolts and kinda on the toe. Roll up at an extreme angle to start, and when you hit the curb kind of straighten your front leg and extend it almost in front of you, keep shoulders parallel to the curb and you’ll get grinding. Also thinking about how I did normal Slappy crooks but with the pressure on the complete opposite sides of the board and it just kind of works. Still feels bad ass looking down and seeing my board in that position. I’m also working on shove out and hope to land one this next week if all goes according to plan.
[close]

Update: much easier for me switch, haven’t got a good one on film yet though…

https://youtube.com/shorts/4mUQ-MxHgLs?feature=share

These ones aren’t very good either lol

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #899 on: August 11, 2022, 11:20:51 PM »

No tipp as I got the same problem. The only way I get them to work is on parking blocks where I can just drop off at the end. Feels really satisfying tho. However, the only known lacquered parking block in my vicinity was removed (probably because I skated it too much) and now I‘ve got to learn them properly. I have no clue how to get out of them to regular but I also find getting out of bs crooks to regular incredibly difficult.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro