Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 91263 times)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #960 on: October 03, 2022, 01:52:25 PM »
Any pro tips for front crooks?

Been working them for a while, I can get into them, grind some but I can't get a lock like regs crooks. I've tried lots of foot placemtns, and angles, etc., etc., but can't find that sweet spot or "ah ha!" moment where it clicks.

I even tried this foot position...fucking dumb.

Sorry, berris video with kookston - just found this one, I think I might need to try that 'shift into the crook' and see how that goes...pluse I might not be leaning enough heelside.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #961 on: October 03, 2022, 01:56:16 PM »
I could use some tips on sw slappy front crook. I can fakie ollie into one, not a prob, grind and come off on a curb. But switch and I end up either bonking into sw fs nose OR basically end up in a sw front board.

disclosed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 186
« Reply #962 on: October 03, 2022, 02:05:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Classic shape wheels help so much with getting in...
[close]

yeah the more rounded the better to help you get up onto 2 wheels
tablets likely would be the worst possible shape for that

i only have OG Classics and Tablets. i have no issues doing 50's on those. and with rounder wheels i am more likely to overshoot the curb. but i feel like they're one of the reasons i stick on crooks so easily with that sharp edge..

boi-cuzudo

« Reply #963 on: October 03, 2022, 02:23:09 PM »
These are some next level s**t

I can't wait to pour my own concrete curbs! I need an S shaped concrete curb in my life!!!

Where I live is very difficult to skate curbs because the pavement ends a few centimeters before the curb starts (see picture below for reference).

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #964 on: October 03, 2022, 04:00:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i only have OG Classics and Tablets. i have no issues doing 50's on those. and with rounder wheels i am more likely to overshoot the curb. but i feel like they're one of the reasons i stick on crooks so easily with that sharp edge..
[close]

[close]

Tablets just don't roll up as easy, sure they get on, any wheel can get on, but I wouldn't pick them as a slappy specific wheel.

Radial slims and Bones V5 are my fav; just enough lip to get up and over and just the right amount of straight sidewall to keep you locked in.

144p

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1084
    • 35th Ave Skates avatar image
« Reply #965 on: October 03, 2022, 04:20:02 PM »
After years of running into stuff I can confidently say that wheel shape doesn’t affect my slapability as much as wheel size or looseness of trucks. Also the shape of the curb too but having ridden every shape of wheel under the sun I haven’t seen much difference. Currently on conical full 58’s and my monster truck slaps onto anything.
I like the lockability of the sharper edged wheels for certain tricks but in reality it doesn’t feel too different.

Weezil

• Rep: 32
« Reply #966 on: October 03, 2022, 08:03:11 PM »
yeah I've kinda waffled between conical fulls and classics for years depending on what I think looks cool when I set my board up. I dont think it has much of an affect on slappys for me personally. if anything cruiser wheels kinda fucked me up.

biggest factor for me for slappys is the truck size. I kinda max out at 149s with trucks period, I can kinda do 159s but anything over that just feels too big, dunno how the curb bois do it with those big trucks. felt more in control doing slappys and grinding stuff in general with 149s.

I got nothing for slappy fs crooks, I feel like I need more wax than a regular slappy crook for those and that kinda psychs me out of wanting to really do them. I like popping into those on ledges instead. I kinda figured them out watching clips of jerry do them.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #967 on: October 03, 2022, 11:17:33 PM »
yeah I've kinda waffled between conical fulls and classics for years depending on what I think looks cool when I set my board up. I dont think it has much of an affect on slappys for me personally. if anything cruiser wheels kinda fucked me up.

biggest factor for me for slappys is the truck size. I kinda max out at 149s with trucks period, I can kinda do 159s but anything over that just feels too big, dunno how the curb bois do it with those big trucks. felt more in control doing slappys and grinding stuff in general with 149s.

I got nothing for slappy fs crooks, I feel like I need more wax than a regular slappy crook for those and that kinda psychs me out of wanting to really do them. I like popping into those on ledges instead. I kinda figured them out watching clips of jerry do them.

Weird, I feel like I need less wax for fs crooks as otherwise I won‘t get up on the curb but slip into front nose. I feel crooks in general require less wax than 50/50s.

why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

disclosed

« Reply #968 on: October 04, 2022, 03:23:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Tablets just don't roll up as easy, sure they get on, any wheel can get on, but I wouldn't pick them as a slappy specific wheel.

Radial slims and Bones V5 are my fav; just enough lip to get up and over and just the right amount of straight sidewall to keep you locked in.

i'm contemplating between some classics or radial slims for next time. but radial slims are not allways the easiest to get.
i did just notice that the front toe side wheel is awfully rounded off on my tablets from all the slappys.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #969 on: October 04, 2022, 07:06:19 AM »
i feel like once you learn really fs slappy the rest of them should kinda start to make sense. for me its more so about holding a really long backwards grind thats scary. i never put the time into fs nosesldie, but been doing it now and its really fun. the main trick i do is put my heel way in the pocket and make my toes hang off the board. i do this for fs crook too

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #970 on: October 04, 2022, 08:16:11 AM »

Been working them for a while, I can get into them, grind some but I can't get a lock like regs crooks. I've tried lots of foot placemtns, and angles, etc., etc., but can't find that sweet spot or "ah ha!" moment where it clicks.

That is ugly as ass front crook.

My tip would be weight over heel (same as in the video above), but don’t have your toes hanging over. Usually the toe drag is too much and results in stopping really quickly - at least for me.approach the curb with a 45 degree angle. I feel, that having a rather wide stance help.
Try unweighting yourself as soon as front toe-side wheel hits the curb and immediately shift your weight onto your toes. Keep your head above your from knee.

GetItStraitRideKrooked

• Rep: 16
« Reply #971 on: October 04, 2022, 08:51:03 AM »

Sorry, berris video with kookston - just found this one, I think I might need to try that 'shift into the crook' and see how that goes...pluse I might not be leaning enough heelside.

I tried that same trick tip haha didn’t work for me either.
I don’t have slappy front crooks on lock or anything but what’s helped me is right when I’m coming up to the curb I lean on my front heel and as soon as I feel the wheel bonk I stand up on the toe.

I’ve found speed helps although it makes them a lot scarier. It’s really a confidence trick it seems. But don’t get me wrong, just a couple days ago had one of those roll over tumble backwards bails haha, still figuring these out

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #972 on: October 04, 2022, 09:20:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

i'm contemplating between some classics or radial slims for next time. but radial slims are not allways the easiest to get.
i did just notice that the front toe side wheel is awfully rounded off on my tablets from all the slappys.

congratulations, you've created Spitfire Lock-ins

streetmeat

• Rep: 169
« Reply #973 on: October 04, 2022, 10:32:03 AM »
new one on the big boy cledge

https://i.imgur.com/2bAE4f8.mp4
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 05:26:46 AM by streetmeat »

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #974 on: October 04, 2022, 06:52:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That’s rad as hell that your skating is making custom shaped wheels for you.

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
« Reply #975 on: October 04, 2022, 06:54:13 PM »
new one on the big boy cledge

Wow, that was so sick

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #976 on: October 05, 2022, 01:43:08 AM »

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #977 on: October 05, 2022, 03:26:07 AM »
yeah that front crook was not amazing cause that curb is so low and he only grinds for like 1 second he doesnt really stand right on top of it. he has the right idea though, the more speed you can have to bash into it and then you can use the truck to surf up onto it a lot more and pinch that opposite wheel. because its so low he hardly has to tip the wheels at all to get it over the edge. i like the idea of actually powersliding a tiny bit before you even go into the wall just to make sure you got lots of speed and you know you will have the momentum you need to get up the wall.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #978 on: October 05, 2022, 12:53:57 PM »
I could use some tips on sw slappy front crook. I can fakie ollie into one, not a prob, grind and come off on a curb. But switch and I end up either bonking into sw fs nose OR basically end up in a sw front board.

Not a dig. Assuming you have regs slappy front crooks? Just apply that to your sw game?

I'm torn tbh. 159s allow easier smiths, but like classics, and even worse when pair with classics, I'm slipping out much easier (note: on curbs with sidewalk); but they excel at doublesided curbs as they'll cover the whole top compared to 149s, so you can just sit nicely locked in.

149s just feel more secure (even dropping to 8.25" I sometimes feel more locked in, especially on crooks).

Regardless of truck, I try and ride the thinner wheels I can for more truck room.

Expand Quote

[close]

My tip would be weight over heel (same as in the video above), but don’t have your toes hanging over. Usually the toe drag is too much and results in stopping really quickly - at least for me.approach the curb with a 45 degree angle. I feel, that having a rather wide stance help.
Try unweighting yourself as soon as front toe-side wheel hits the curb and immediately shift your weight onto your toes. Keep your head above your from knee.

Weight over the heel (at first) helped a ton being able to glide into them, now they're just sliding out like a bad front nose/board.

Watched some Foy vids todays while it's an ollie into them, he leads the fs crook with his heel after he gets on..I think I'm angled too much like a nose grind (but still pinched) which is causing me to slide out...plus, again it's ollieing into it...but this sounds like what's happening: https://youtu.be/8AzkhjeYDfk?t=96

We'll see how it goes tonight.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 01:09:42 PM by Xen »

Boog

• Rep: 202
« Reply #979 on: October 05, 2022, 02:45:49 PM »
I learned fs slappy today. I feel like a real man now lol.

yghartsyrt

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 238
« Reply #980 on: October 05, 2022, 03:22:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Not a dig. Assuming you have regs slappy front crooks? Just apply that to your sw game?

Expand Quote

[close]

I'm torn tbh. 159s allow easier smiths, but like classics, and even worse when pair with classics, I'm slipping out much easier (note: on curbs with sidewalk); but they excel at doublesided curbs as they'll cover the whole top compared to 149s, so you can just sit nicely locked in.

149s just feel more secure (even dropping to 8.25" I sometimes feel more locked in, especially on crooks).

Regardless of truck, I try and ride the thinner wheels I can for more truck room.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Weight over the heel (at first) helped a ton being able to glide into them, now they're just sliding out like a bad front nose/board.

Watched some Foy vids todays while it's an ollie into them, he leads the fs crook with his heel after he gets on..I think I'm angled too much like a nose grind (but still pinched) which is causing me to slide out...plus, again it's ollieing into it...but this sounds like what's happening: https://youtu.be/8AzkhjeYDfk?t=96

We'll see how it goes tonight.

Yeah, you got to lean way much further towards the front as you might think at first

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #981 on: October 05, 2022, 05:52:15 PM »
i know this has been said earlier, but do tight trucks really help with slappy 50s?

i can slappy crooks no problem, but i can never get my back trucks onto a 50 for save my life
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 158
« Reply #982 on: October 05, 2022, 07:29:40 PM »
i know this has been said earlier, but do tight trucks really help with slappy 50s?

i can slappy crooks no problem, but i can never get my back trucks onto a 50 for save my life
No, tight trucks don’t help with anything avoid at any cost. Try to overshoot that 50-50, aim for Losi until you figure it out, keep your weight on front truck and your shoulders lined with curb.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #983 on: October 05, 2022, 08:46:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
No, tight trucks don’t help with anything avoid at any cost. Try to overshoot that 50-50, aim for Losi until you figure it out, keep your weight on front truck and your shoulders lined with curb.
Going to have to agree with this. Both the trucks and the advice given. You don’t need floppy but if you can’t carve with them it’ll be a hindrance.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
« Reply #984 on: October 05, 2022, 09:59:17 PM »
Thanks guys. Going to just keep trying.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #985 on: October 05, 2022, 10:54:34 PM »
It may help if you bend the knees slightly before hitting the curb and just straighten the leg on the way up the curb in a dynamic surfy movement. Sounds complicated but it seems obvious once you did it.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

streetmeat

• Rep: 169
« Reply #986 on: October 06, 2022, 04:24:36 AM »
feel like i finally graduated to the masterclass after figuring out i can fs slappy this completely vertical small metal curb at the skatepark yesterday. long since thought i could only get onto things with a sliiiiight bank to it. i did try to crook it and instantly ate shit tho 

disclosed

« Reply #987 on: October 06, 2022, 06:00:21 AM »
feel like i finally graduated to the masterclass after figuring out i can fs slappy this completely vertical small metal curb at the skatepark yesterday. long since thought i could only get onto things with a sliiiiight bank to it. i did try to crook it and instantly ate shit tho

i never had a problem with slappying the low ledge/mannypads at the skatepark. but it blows peoples minds when you do it sometimes wich is fun. but when i try a crook i just slip out in noseslide and eat shit all the time. except for one mannypad in one the the parks i frequent where i have no problem, and i still don't kow why that one works.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #988 on: October 06, 2022, 07:16:55 AM »
be careful on those slappy crooked grinds... seems like a really easy trick to roll your ankle on!! i overshot one and almost did !

yesterday i was doing em and honestly i feel like you dont need to overthink this one at all. you kinda just do it... its so weird how it works its just exactly how i envisioned it working. it almost feels like a nollie crook but both your feet are just on the screws at the beginning

Jory4

• Rep: 106
« Reply #989 on: October 06, 2022, 10:39:47 AM »

Here’s my tips FWIW…

Wax helps but too much wax means you slip out easy.

I don’t weight my heel at all,

Front foot is at 45 degrees maybe toes very slightly hanging off, back foot on the bolts or just behind.

Approach at a bit less than 45 degrees and carve in on your toes ever so slightly on final approach ( so you hit at about 45 )

Just before your wheels hit, (& this is the key bit!) push the board slightly in front of you and unweight the front foot so the front wheels are weightless as they actually hit the curb and can ride up.

Immediately weight the ball/ toes of your front foot and stand up on it but still pushing forward if that makes sense!

Hopefully you can see the above in this clip, I’ve kinda scrubbed back and forth to show what I’m describing,

https://i.imgur.com/Sc1wNLP.mp4
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 10:52:42 AM by Jory4 »