Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 91241 times)

streetmeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 169
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #1020 on: October 28, 2022, 05:12:53 PM »

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #1021 on: October 28, 2022, 05:18:21 PM »

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 754
« Reply #1022 on: October 28, 2022, 05:52:02 PM »
new one

https://i.imgur.com/QaIvZ4e.mp4

Beautiful! 

I’ve done that one a couple times frontside by accident but they were not nearly as gracefully executed. 

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 542
« Reply #1023 on: October 28, 2022, 05:52:51 PM »
@rawbertson. feather them out a little bit, sauce and wax the raw spots and skate the hell out of it(also make sure you post it to IG so that psycho kook sees he didn’t phase you).
@streetmeat congrats on the nue juan.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 129
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 709
« Reply #1025 on: October 29, 2022, 12:20:23 AM »
When itlooks effortless you know it‘s very hard to accomplish. Beautiful!
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 237
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1026 on: October 29, 2022, 06:01:06 AM »
Anyone else fuck their knees up slappying? I recently started skating exclusively curbs due to a new local hot spot and didn't really jump or pop for a couple weeks.  My right knee started feeling sketchy and I have a hunch its because of me jamming myself into curbs non stop. Maybe I have horrible technique because isn't this usually for people who are too hurt to ollie? Been back skating ledges and things that need me to pop and my knee is already feeling better.
Yeah if I do a bunch of slappy crooks my front knee will get pretty sore. Not too surprising since you’re basically smashing your leg into a piece of concrete repeatedly

For me the “low impact” part is partially that simply skating smaller obstacles leaves me less room to fall down, not so much the knees thing.

Although I suppose my knees do get battered if I’m popping my board a lot.

So basically my knees are suffering no matter what

Anyway where is this hot new curb spot in austin?? I don’t live there anymore but I’m curious

stupidfuckface

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #1027 on: October 29, 2022, 07:40:31 AM »
Expand Quote
in sad news... a skater seeking revenge on me did this because i blocked him :

i will not seek revenge though. that wont bring the spot back. I will be the bigger man and fix it.
[close]

What the fuck? Blocked him on like social media? And they respond this way? That person is fucking psychotic.

This happens to my spot a few times a year, I had always been under the impression it was a hating ass neighbor. It’s hard to fathom a skater destroying a spot, but I’m sure crazier things happen.
The first few times, I used a curb repair concrete powder, this worked out pretty well (def make sure to sauce the shit out of the patches, and use concrete adhesive) after repeated attacks and patch jobs, I was left with two options, completely redo the curb from ground up, or just smooth the shit out of all the jagged corners and shit (used power tools, worked pretty good)..
All I can say is fuck anyone who takes a hammer to a good curb, and for everyone’s sake (myself included) I hope I never catch my hammer wielding perp red handed...

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
« Reply #1028 on: October 29, 2022, 06:18:55 PM »
new one

https://i.imgur.com/QaIvZ4e.mp4
Sick dude! Greenwood park?  I need to get down there and have at that curb.  All the clips I see out of there, that one and the curved one are always tucked away not getting any love, haha.

Get hungry on it!

streetmeat

« Reply #1029 on: October 30, 2022, 04:29:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Sick dude! Greenwood park?  I need to get down there and have at that curb.  All the clips I see out of there, that one and the curved one are always tucked away not getting any love, haha.

Yup, Greenwood. The curved one fucks me up lol but feebles on the curved one are so good.

swanronson

• Rep: -27
« Reply #1030 on: October 30, 2022, 06:41:02 PM »
That’s rad Streemeat!

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #1031 on: October 30, 2022, 06:54:47 PM »
Not sure if I mentioned this before but now that the weather is shit it’s not uncommon to hit a parking garage.  If you pull out a parking block, make sure you put it back.  Even if you get kicked out.  I just picked up a foot long piece of rebar, you can drop it in the hole and drag a curb around. 

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #1032 on: October 31, 2022, 11:00:09 AM »
Not sure if I mentioned this before but now that the weather is shit it’s not uncommon to hit a parking garage.  If you pull out a parking block, make sure you put it back.  Even if you get kicked out.  I just picked up a foot long piece of rebar, you can drop it in the hole and drag a curb around.
Don’t tell me what to do? Ha ha
Kids don’t give shit if spots for old heads get busted & you sure as hell can’t say anything. Stop trashing & writing graffiti everywhere fuckin’ kooks.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 693
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1033 on: November 02, 2022, 08:13:34 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
in sad news... a skater seeking revenge on me did this because i blocked him :

i will not seek revenge though. that wont bring the spot back. I will be the bigger man and fix it.
[close]

What the fuck? Blocked him on like social media? And they respond this way? That person is fucking psychotic.
[close]

This happens to my spot a few times a year, I had always been under the impression it was a hating ass neighbor. It’s hard to fathom a skater destroying a spot, but I’m sure crazier things happen.
The first few times, I used a curb repair concrete powder, this worked out pretty well (def make sure to sauce the shit out of the patches, and use concrete adhesive) after repeated attacks and patch jobs, I was left with two options, completely redo the curb from ground up, or just smooth the shit out of all the jagged corners and shit (used power tools, worked pretty good)..
All I can say is fuck anyone who takes a hammer to a good curb, and for everyone’s sake (myself included) I hope I never catch my hammer wielding perp red handed...

concrete repair powder eh... ok ill look for that thanks

any tips on 5-0 to switch crook? do you just turn your shoulders same idea as the noseslide to crook?

Candied cigarettes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
« Reply #1034 on: November 06, 2022, 04:22:48 PM »
Finally figured out sw front slappys today. Definitely didn’t intend to- started off as sw front nose slide, couldn’t really stay on top of it, then I tried to get my front truck up there for a sw front krook- those weren’t working but then I just straightened out my shoulders to try to scratch just a little bit and after a lot bit they felt less awkward. Stoked to try slappy sw front krooks (fakie?) next time

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1035 on: November 17, 2022, 10:31:38 AM »
what is the hardest non combo grind? balanced switch nosegrind? back noseblunt/ switch front blunt?
front crook both ways has to be up there too. back smith is hard but switch back smith must be really hard.

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 179
« Reply #1036 on: November 26, 2022, 05:59:05 AM »
Anyone have any tips for fs hurricanes?
Started messing around with them at the end of the sesh for a few minutes today. Got into a few but wouldn’t have the first clue of how to grind etc

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1162
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1037 on: November 26, 2022, 07:41:11 AM »
Got my first slappy front crooks last night. Took a long time just bashing em before I locked a couple in. Felt good

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #1038 on: November 26, 2022, 08:12:56 AM »
Started messing around with them at the end of the sesh for a few minutes today. Got into a few but wouldn’t have the first clue of how to grind etc

On a parking block I usually just flop onto the other side.  On a dug out sidewalk curb you go in on your back toe but when you get your truck on you push on your back heel and keep that contact point with your truck and the curb.  Turn out like a front board, because your truck is on and your pushing on that contact point it helps you pop out. 

If they are too hard just keep turning to a fakie 50-50….it’s a fun trick too. 

Orangepulp1000

• Rep: 179
« Reply #1039 on: November 26, 2022, 10:19:22 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

On a parking block I usually just flop onto the other side.  On a dug out sidewalk curb you go in on your back toe but when you get your truck on you push on your back heel and keep that contact point with your truck and the curb.  Turn out like a front board, because your truck is on and your pushing on that contact point it helps you pop out. 

If they are too hard just keep turning to a fakie 50-50….it’s a fun trick too.

Legend cheers will give that a go next time I’m there

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 207
« Reply #1040 on: November 27, 2022, 08:11:44 PM »
Thanks to whoever suggested leaning on your heel right before you hit the curb then switching to weighting your toes when you hit for getting into slappy fs crooks. I hadn’t had any luck with them until I remembered that today and it worked. Haven’t rolled away yet but it doesn’t seem too hard now.

Also I recently realized that front 50-50 slappies are so much easier when I go fast.

manysnakes

« Reply #1041 on: November 27, 2022, 08:33:48 PM »
Also I recently realized that front 50-50 slappies are so much easier when I go fast.

It’s the only way I know how to do them.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1042 on: November 27, 2022, 11:25:50 PM »
Thanks to whoever suggested leaning on your heel right before you hit the curb then switching to weighting your toes when you hit for getting into slappy fs crooks. I hadn’t had any luck with them until I remembered that today and it worked. Haven’t rolled away yet but it doesn’t seem too hard now.

Popping out is the hardest part for me. I lock in easily but unless there‘s a natural end to the curb where I can just fall off, I can only get out to fakie, and also this only very rarely. Who knows how to do it?
why come?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #1043 on: November 28, 2022, 07:27:17 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s the only way I know how to do them.

you dont have to go that fast but it is a lot easier in the beginning because you are afraid you arent going to get the wheels up. once you really master the motion of doing a fs poewrslide and getting the toeside wheels off the floor, it feels as comfortable as an ollie and you can get it without much speed. it is a lot easier for me to do this going straight on (but you lose a lot of your speed)

i am really happy with how mcuh i have progressed on these tricks in the past year and i have done some higher ledge slappys where i have to ride up slanted walls and it feels sick. i feel like its helped my wallride and transition game out a bit too.

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1044 on: November 28, 2022, 08:35:27 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Popping out is the hardest part for me. I lock in easily but unless there‘s a natural end to the curb where I can just fall off, I can only get out to fakie, and also this only very rarely. Who knows how to do it?

I just learned them as well and I can take them out to regular, but even I don't totally understand the mechanics of how I do it. I sort of shift the weight off my front foot to my back and once my back truck hits the ground it's sort of a pivot out to roll away. They aren't super pretty so far and I end up with a bit of a tic tac but I'm getting better at them. I'll try to post a clip at some point.

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1045 on: November 28, 2022, 10:38:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I just learned them as well and I can take them out to regular, but even I don't totally understand the mechanics of how I do it. I sort of shift the weight off my front foot to my back and once my back truck hits the ground it's sort of a pivot out to roll away. They aren't super pretty so far and I end up with a bit of a tic tac but I'm getting better at them. I'll try to post a clip at some point.

That would be nice!
why come?

BartHarleyJarvis

• SLAP Pal
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #1046 on: November 28, 2022, 12:01:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

That would be nice!

tried to slomo it a bit to show the dismount. Not super fluid yet but getting there. would like to take them to fakie at some point

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1047 on: November 28, 2022, 12:05:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

That would be nice!
[close]

tried to slomo it a bit to show the dismount. Not super fluid yet but getting there. would like to take them to fakie at some point

Thank you! Looks good enough in my book. I never saw a skate stopped curb!
why come?

doublesteveburger

« Reply #1048 on: November 28, 2022, 03:31:23 PM »
who’s got the switch slappy crook cheat code

streetmeat

« Reply #1049 on: November 28, 2022, 04:20:17 PM »
the front crook is the only slappy that eludes me now. its the only one where i cant get past ‘i really am about to just ride into this curb head on huh..’  ive played with it a couple times and i cant get out of my head. maybe id have better luck not trying it on a double sided curb first?