Author Topic: slappy/curb discussion thread  (Read 88619 times)

addie pray

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -527
  • u a whole goofy
Re: slappy/curb discussion thread
« Reply #1260 on: March 03, 2024, 06:45:52 PM »
-danny sargeant

-dane brady

-jason adams

-jef hartsel

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #1261 on: March 11, 2024, 04:00:16 AM »
ok finally picked up some goods to set up some local curbs to skate and i have a couple of curb novice questions:

who makes the best rub brick out there? i got one from home depot (Anvil brand) and while it worked good it was pretty much disintegrated after doing one 20' section of curb. is that the norm for how much you get out of a typical brick?

For using a wet-look sealer on prepped curbs, I did my first curb with one coat (Behr Wet Look) and started to wax it and realize that I probably could have given it a couple more coats of the stuff before waxing. am i screwed now or can i go back and re-seal over the wax and still get good results?
good come sausage

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 679
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1262 on: March 11, 2024, 06:27:56 AM »
you just want to get the lowest grit possible
the one i got off amazon was the best i have seen, its super thick
The ones I saw available from skate shops, and even the home depot locally were not as thick as the one I got off Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/Bon-12-177-6-Inch-3-Inch-Handle/dp/B00067T8K0/ref=asc_df_B00067T8K0/?tag=googleshopc0c-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=335310427089&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7010446834396459945&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1002200&hvtargid=pla-425404420748&psc=1&mcid=aa53de2d448131f197515e05da412f6e

Sorry this is Canadian

As far as lacquering, I have never done more than one coat on anything, and never had any issue. You can always add more lacquer but its never going to be as effective as it is when its bare because the wax is going to absorb some of the lacquer.

In my experiences the past few years i have ended up just buying the cheapest thing possible and never had any issue with it. dollar store cans for $3 each. at walmart, home depot, cans are like $14 now for rustoleum etc.

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #1263 on: March 11, 2024, 08:07:11 AM »
ok finally picked up some goods to set up some local curbs to skate and i have a couple of curb novice questions:

who makes the best rub brick out there? i got one from home depot (Anvil brand) and while it worked good it was pretty much disintegrated after doing one 20' section of curb. is that the norm for how much you get out of a typical brick?

For using a wet-look sealer on prepped curbs, I did my first curb with one coat (Behr Wet Look) and started to wax it and realize that I probably could have given it a couple more coats of the stuff before waxing. am i screwed now or can i go back and re-seal over the wax and still get good results?
From my experience rub bricks are great for short curbs anything 20’ long I would rent a grinder. Like trucks wore I big groove in my brick. Is the curb not working after the work? I believe it’s been said you can scrape the wax off. Maybe get a torche to it to melt the wax off or melt the wax on. I like my curbs a little gritty.

sutures1995

• Rep: -11
« Reply #1264 on: March 12, 2024, 06:45:08 PM »
Lakewood California has the best banks

See up north curbs are called banks

The best curbs are marble probably so Washington DC has good ones

sutures1995

« Reply #1265 on: March 13, 2024, 04:36:20 PM »
location location location

50mm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
  • Take a chance, Columbus did!
« Reply #1266 on: March 13, 2024, 07:10:15 PM »
I moved home and directly across the street are tons of red curbs that grind like marble. One area stretches almost 100 yards and the curb gradually grows into a ledge up to my knee. Nearby is a slappy curb. Skated a bit last night but was cold. Gonna try to go again tonight but I’m pretty beat from work. I’m trying to at least push around every night to get my sea legs back.

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #1267 on: March 13, 2024, 08:13:51 PM »
Lacquer just stops the wax going too deep, otherwise just get heaps of wax with a little gas can blowtorch to melt it on . Works a treat.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #1268 on: March 13, 2024, 10:07:05 PM »
I moved home and directly across the street are tons of red curbs that grind like marble. One area stretches almost 100 yards and the curb gradually grows into a ledge up to my knee. Nearby is a slappy curb. Skated a bit last night but was cold. Gonna try to go again tonight but I’m pretty beat from work. I’m trying to at least push around every night to get my sea legs back.

Sounds like you actually might have died?

skunty

• Rep: 73
« Reply #1269 on: March 14, 2024, 10:58:18 AM »

on a recent video on Independent's youtube channel Rhino was giving some tips of the trade and mentioned that the concrete sealer can go directly over wax without removing it, but for lacquer you need to remove the wax. FWIW, I've always used lacquer or spray paint and never bothered to remove the old wax and it's always worked just fine.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1270 on: March 21, 2024, 07:11:49 AM »
I kinda hate those slanted curbs. A tiny angle is fine, but curbs like these don't feel like doing a trick anymore. The only times I was able to do slappy feebles and crooks was on a similair, unpainted curb, but they felt like I was cheating. I might be prejudiced as a European with very limited acces to these kinda shaped curbs, but they kinda take the fun out of it for me.
Couldn't agree more, that's a mini bank.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 679
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1271 on: March 21, 2024, 12:30:54 PM »
lately i have been all about finding "big kahunas". super super long downhill grinds. fill the cracks with sika flex. also i realized i am a dumb ass and last year i made this super long double sider and glued it together with construction adhesive but it came apart. i realized now i should have glued the curbs to the floor and not to eachother.

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 527
« Reply #1272 on: March 21, 2024, 05:59:22 PM »
Expand Quote
I kinda hate those slanted curbs. A tiny angle is fine, but curbs like these don't feel like doing a trick anymore. The only times I was able to do slappy feebles and crooks was on a similair, unpainted curb, but they felt like I was cheating. I might be prejudiced as a European with very limited acces to these kinda shaped curbs, but they kinda take the fun out of it for me.
[close]
Couldn't agree more, that's a mini bank.

I’m with you both on that. So over the one I’d been hitting and back to skating big boy curbs again. So much more fun to go fast and actually bash up instead of soft carving into stuff.

nopopnostyle

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1273 on: March 22, 2024, 02:55:47 AM »
lately i have been all about finding "big kahunas". super super long downhill grinds. fill the cracks with sika flex. also i realized i am a dumb ass and last year i made this super long double sider and glued it together with construction adhesive but it came apart. i realized now i should have glued the curbs to the floor and not to eachother.

I'm curious, what kind of Sika Flex do you use to fill the cracks? Been thinking about trying 415 Universal, its a PU thing that sounds promising and not too expensive. I'm just worried it might be too elastic..
« Last Edit: March 22, 2024, 03:09:11 AM by nopopnostyle »

stupidfuckface

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 20
« Reply #1274 on: March 22, 2024, 06:50:31 AM »
Just use steel stick.. trust

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1275 on: March 23, 2024, 02:55:05 PM »
Found some nice flat back/squared parking blocks in an abandoned parking lot. Gonna try to bring a couple home soon
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #1276 on: March 23, 2024, 03:53:07 PM »
Found some nice flat back/squared parking blocks in an abandoned parking lot. Gonna try to bring a couple home soon
Why not just skate then there? I enjoy getting out and meeting with a friend to get a few slaps in.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1394
« Reply #1277 on: March 23, 2024, 03:56:02 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Why not just skate then there? I enjoy getting out and meeting with a friend to get a few slaps in.

Its not a spot at all, unfortunately. Just got those curb cuts in the weeds and rubble
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

europa1991

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1278 on: March 28, 2024, 01:44:57 PM »
Driving myself insane with this but.. found a very dry curb in a perfect location so I did the ol rub brick, sweep, and clear coat (specifically this stuff https://www.acehardware.com/departments/paint-and-supplies/spray-paint/hobby-spray-paint/1395987) waited a day then when I came back that shit was … incredibly sticky, like even with wax. Should I have used lacquer spray? Where did I fuck up lol?

Dad Board

• Rep: 66
« Reply #1279 on: March 28, 2024, 02:15:14 PM »
Driving myself insane with this but.. found a very dry curb in a perfect location so I did the ol rub brick, sweep, and clear coat (specifically this stuff https://www.acehardware.com/departments/paint-and-supplies/spray-paint/hobby-spray-paint/1395987) waited a day then when I came back that shit was … incredibly sticky, like even with wax. Should I have used lacquer spray? Where did I fuck up lol?

You’re gonna need like 3-5 coats of cc to get it moving maybe less or more depending on how crusty the curb was, and then you still gotta just grind the shit out of it to get it buttery. Next time try some brush or roll on concrete sealer. Works way better in my experience.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-PREMIUM-1-gal-Wet-Look-Sealer-98501/202263927

CurbRaiders

• Rep: -30
« Reply #1280 on: March 28, 2024, 02:20:32 PM »
For curbs that have never been treated I think this stuff is great to get a thick top layer on it: https://www.acehardware.com/departments/paint-and-supplies/stains-and-finishes/wood-stains/1615137?x429=true&gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwqpSwBhClARIsADlZ_TkTvgaT7YrfQTO1YAVQmLxdIc3KOerYQO9-dQqj72BvBjOUGDQAvYQaAi_bEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Its painted on instead of sprayed and takes about a day to dry, but it should give you a thick coat on top of the curb to start with. From there you want to hit it with wax and clear coat on the regular until a solid layer builds up.

europa1991

• Rep: 56
« Reply #1281 on: March 28, 2024, 02:43:52 PM »
Thanks guys! Do you think I could apply sealer on top of what I already have or is it best to just start new somewhere else?

CurbRaiders

• Rep: -30
« Reply #1282 on: March 28, 2024, 03:04:56 PM »
yea you can just layer it on top of whats already there, it should just keep getting better.

Toenail628

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1283 on: March 29, 2024, 06:24:19 AM »
Expand Quote
My goal for this summer is to learn slappies. Moving in about a month so I’m gonna search out a suitable curb and prep it all nice.

Advice for either would be appreciated.

They look fun as fuck.
[close]
When I learned them from my friend he said to start at a really sharp angle- almost perpendicular, and lean away from the curb. Adjust the angle as you get better. Worked for me. Oh and it’s mostly in your front foot.
I couldn’t figure out how to do frontside slappys and my buddy told me to put my front foot on the nose leann on my heels and run in to the curb fast and i did it the next try

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #1284 on: March 29, 2024, 06:37:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
My goal for this summer is to learn slappies. Moving in about a month so I’m gonna search out a suitable curb and prep it all nice.

They look fun as fuck.
[close]
When I learned them from my friend he said to start at a really sharp angle- almost perpendicular, and lean away from the curb. Adjust the angle as you get better. Worked for me. Oh and it’s mostly in your front foot.
[close]
I couldn’t figure out how to do frontside slappys and my buddy told me to put my front foot on the nose leann on my heels and run in to the curb fast and i did it the next try

I drag this out every once in a while and hope it helps

Reposting this here for reference

CUCKTARD’S ALL-INCLUSIVE INSTRUCTIONS FOR FRONTSIDE AND BACKSIDE SLAPPIES

Take photos now, or copy-paste somewhere on your phone for reference when your at your preferred slutty and slick curb.

1- HANG YOUR FEET OFF.
You are going to turn hard and help those wheels up onto the curb, so if you are going backside, hang your toes off more than usual. If your going frontside, hang your heels off.
Also, for beginners, have your front foot over the front bolts, right up against the curve of the nose.
The back foot is on wherever, but maybe not on the end of the tail. You’re not going to lift the nose.

2- GO STRAIGHT AT THE CURB (or almost straight)
This is just for the beginners. After you get the hang of it and your confidence increases, you can go at a lower angle. But going head-on into the curb will help you get onto it, so have your bodily mass heading into it.

3- CARVE
About a meter/yard before you hit, carve hard into the direction you wanna get on. Your board should be between 70-45 degrees to the curb at time of impact. Your body weight should be well inside the turn, and you should be cranking down hard on those toes or heels.

3- DON’T SLAM THE BOARD
This is the most important point. And one that people make the most mistakes with. Slappies are actually kinda delicate, and a pretty smooth feeling trick once you understand this point.
As your front wheels hit the curb, you have to lighten your front foot, like when you nollie bump a crack in the pavement. You let the board bump up onto the curb, and then do the same with your back foot, as you push it into place. It’s a very quick and subtle unweighting of front foot-back foot.
You never straight-leg slam the board into the curb.

****if you don’t twist enough into the turn, your back wheels won’t bump up. You have to twist your body so that your shoulders and hips are in line with the curb. This is usually easier frontside (probably because fs grinds on as a mini are like this, but with bs you can stay open to the coping). On a slappy, you gotta fully turn your whole body so that the back wheel gets on****

4- GET IN THE BACKSEAT
With your front foot so far forward, you may find yourself weighting the front truck so much that it catches on the grind.
As you get that back truck on, scoot the whole board forward underneath you, get your weight back of center, and grind

5-ENJOY THE RIDE, DISMOUNT IN YOUR PREFERRED STYLE, AND UTTER “PRAISE BE TO LUCERO”
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 05:04:35 PM by cucktard »
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
« Reply #1285 on: March 29, 2024, 06:49:39 AM »

Behr Wet Look needs two coats at least. If it's at least 65 and sunny you can do one coat, wait 30 min or so, then the 2nd coat. Also it does need time to dry. I've seen people say it only needs a few minutes but the instructions specifically say 24 hours for light traffic or 72 hours for heavy traffic. You might be able to skate it after 1 hour but it will cure much harder after a couple of days.

Spray-can lacquer works too but not all are equal. Cans are convenient but pretty expensive. A can of Watco Lacquer covers 40 sq ft at $10 while a gallon of Behr Wet Look Sealer covers ~300 sq ft at $40.

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 780
« Reply #1286 on: March 29, 2024, 09:51:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

They look fun as fuck.
[close]
[close]

Your buddy is wrong. Front foot should be behind front bolts or at most on front bolts. Thank me later. Pretend you're an  Alva boy double trucking the shallow end.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #1287 on: March 29, 2024, 04:53:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

They look fun as fuck.
[close]
[close]
[close]

Your buddy is wrong. Front foot should be behind front bolts or at most on front bolts. Thank me later. Pretend you're an  Alva boy double trucking the shallow end.
I like both feet right over bolts so the sides of my feet just touch the pockets. Behind the bolts looks cool but if it gets squirrelly it’s hard to come back from.

ElonMuskaBeats

« Reply #1288 on: March 29, 2024, 05:35:14 PM »
Anyone that can really slappy can do it with their feet anywhere on the board. If you’re learning, pockets is a good place to start. Then adjust as you get comfy.

kookdusoleil

• Rep: 44
  • Have fun out there
« Reply #1289 on: March 30, 2024, 06:37:15 PM »
I’ve been skating for 30 years and I still can’t slappy. I hate it so much. I have tried and tried. I’ve pretty much been able to overcome any roadblock when learning other tricks, tricks that should be more difficult “on paper” or whatever. Still haven’t seen the top of this mountain.

Lots of advice here, I hope it gets me there some day