Author Topic: Mark suciu nine club  (Read 10575 times)

RichardBarkley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -763
Re: Mark suciu nine club
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2021, 08:25:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Ridiculous thread. You clowns are way too negative.

This was Mark talking for 3 straight hours and covering a bunch of interesting topics. I love how everyone acts like Crob is a disaster and the show is a sinking ship but yet 1) they keep getting increasingly amazing guests to join for increasingly long conversations 2) some episodes turn out incredible. Crob is conversational and definitely can't school the guest with FACTS and LOGIC like the SLAP Pals think they could in their head, but maybe that is why people enjoy coming on? Because they can just run through stuff and share what they want, rather than have Crob dig up some obscure factoids or ugly company drama for them to respond to live on camera?

I agree this isn't Inside The Actors Studio but this, the Blabac, Eli Gesner, Anthony Claravall, and many others are incredibly long and, to me, interesting interviews. At this point, the number of good episodes they've had indicates to me that they do have a way of drawing out interesting stuff from their guests, even if it isn't by asking questions like "So Mark, tell us why you hate Silas Baxter Neal" or whatever like some of you seem to be suggesting they do.

Comparisons to the bunt (which i also love) aren't valid IMO, because those are much, much shorter and way less conversational. They are literally asking questions from a script. The Nine Club is clearly meant to be more conversational and wandering.

But I do agree with many others in this thread that Kelly and Jeron definitely help. Kelly is kind of the MVP for actually asking targeted questions.
[close]

I really like the way you phrased all of this.  Totally agree Chris’s energy/naïveté is often in service of getting guests to open up.  Why do people see Kelly/Roger/Jeron chiming in or taking over at times as a negative?  That’s a win to have some different perspectives and personalities.  And it does seem like posters here are overlooking the quality of the conversations that have occured on nine club, especially since its come back this summer.  It’s way harder to make guests comfortable enough to open up on camera, versus say audio-only, especially with the pressure that would come from releasing such a big interview online.  For the most part, they do an incredible job.

What these guys said
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2021, 09:18:01 AM »

This was Mark talking for 3 straight hours and covering a bunch of interesting topics. I love how everyone acts like Crob is a disaster and the show is a sinking ship but yet 1) they keep getting increasingly amazing guests to join for increasingly long conversations 2) some episodes turn out incredible. Crob is conversational and definitely can't school the guest with FACTS and LOGIC like the SLAP Pals think they could in their head, but maybe that is why people enjoy coming on? Because they can just run through stuff and share what they want, rather than have Crob dig up some obscure factoids or ugly company drama for them to respond to live on camera?

I agree this isn't Inside The Actors Studio but this, the Blabac, Eli Gesner, Anthony Claravall, and many others are incredibly long and, to me, interesting interviews. At this point, the number of good episodes they've had indicates to me that they do have a way of drawing out interesting stuff from their guests, even if it isn't by asking questions like "So Mark, tell us why you hate Silas Baxter Neal" or whatever like some of you seem to be suggesting they do.

Comparisons to the bunt (which i also love) aren't valid IMO, because those are much, much shorter and way less conversational. They are literally asking questions from a script. The Nine Club is clearly meant to be more conversational and wandering.

But I do agree with many others in this thread that Kelly and Jeron definitely help. Kelly is kind of the MVP for actually asking targeted questions.

the issue is that crob is bad at conversations.

a bunch of great interviewers have been mentioned, but one i haven't seen yet is sam jones. Off Camera is the best interviews i've ever watched, hands down. the full episodes are incredible, because a) he does his research b) can hold a conversations and c) knows when to just let his guest speak.

similarly, the chris rose rotation. hour+ long conversations 3-4 times a week. He'll know how old the guests kids are, where they went to high school, the team the debuted on, how they pitched the night before, etc.

https://youtu.be/WwRZudGtU_0?list=PLpXmDLTX2Wt9P_EVNZf3SfqMhsJ9oB7SG

you don't have to work off a predetermined script to be a good interviewer, but you gotta be able to guide a conversation and have it feel naturally. crob is truly awful at that.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

vhsfisheye

« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2021, 11:34:14 AM »
it is wild how uptight you toronto guys get about people claiming your area who are from sauga or oshawa or whatever lmao
no one from guelph would ever claim toronto, there is like 100 km of farm land in between
Toronto’s weird because people will be all the way in Barrie and collingwood and claim Toronto for some reason but dudes who live in Scarborough or north York don’t even look as those districts as part of Toronto. You always know someone’s new to the city if they tell you they live in Toronto but are from Etobicoke (which is a district of the city) but unless you’re from central Toronto (midtown, east york, etc.) you shouldn’t be claiming the city you should be claiming yo district. And if you’re not living in any of the six and your not talking to a tourist you should never claim T.O.

Murdercapital

• Rep: -22
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2021, 12:33:46 PM »
Just came here to say I find all nine club episodes hard to listen to. Which is kind of relieving. Saves me from spending countless hours listening. And to be clear, it's all on the hosts.

HisNameIsntWarren

• Rep: 49
« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2021, 05:23:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

the issue is that crob is bad at conversations.

a bunch of great interviewers have been mentioned, but one i haven't seen yet is sam jones. Off Camera is the best interviews i've ever watched, hands down. the full episodes are incredible, because a) he does his research b) can hold a conversations and c) knows when to just let his guest speak.

Fun fact, this dude skates. @ 2:00

Welcome to the OC bitch! This is how it’s done in Orange County.

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2021, 06:09:51 AM »
I think the nine club is alright. Could definitely be improved with more interesting topics at times (it felt like they talked about injuries and rehab forever during Danny Way's interview). I can remember when they interviewed Davis Torgerson and at one point they were talking about some instagram game or something stupid like that.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2021, 12:51:11 PM »
I think the nine club is alright. Could definitely be improved with more interesting topics at times (it felt like they talked about injuries and rehab forever during Danny Way's interview). I can remember when they interviewed Davis Torgerson and at one point they were talking about some instagram game or something stupid like that.
They could just do some research aka do some work instead of bitch that they don’t do any preparation.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2021, 01:35:11 PM »
need to relisten to the bunt one but thouhht i remembered a main part of that being about how he had a crazy injury/illness and had to relearn how to skate. thought he would have at least mentioned that. wonder if that was a lie too
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 261
  • tiger style
« Reply #98 on: September 09, 2021, 05:37:29 AM »
enjoying this one

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I really like the way you phrased all of this.  Totally agree Chris’s energy/naïveté is often in service of getting guests to open up.  Why do people see Kelly/Roger/Jeron chiming in or taking over at times as a negative?  That’s a win to have some different perspectives and personalities.  And it does seem like posters here are overlooking the quality of the conversations that have occured on nine club, especially since its come back this summer.  It’s way harder to make guests comfortable enough to open up on camera, versus say audio-only, especially with the pressure that would come from releasing such a big interview online.  For the most part, they do an incredible job.
[close]

What these guys said

seems like some people watch these knowing they don't like crob and then come to bitch and be pedantic about every little detail.

BALARGUE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 596
    • Balargue Skateshop avatar image
« Reply #99 on: September 09, 2021, 07:05:43 AM »
maybe it's pedantic to be looking forward to more than surface level stuff about a guest you like

maybe it's praising a race to the bottom to say Crob is just fine

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #100 on: September 09, 2021, 08:02:32 AM »
maybe it's pedantic to be looking forward to more than surface level stuff about a guest you like

maybe it's praising a race to the bottom to say Crob is just fine

I totally understand it, but think that we have always had interviews on magazine that were a standard format ( name, age, sponsors, why do you like where you live, tour story) and then moving onto video, most of them lacked real content.

I think skateboarding is relying on the mysteriousness of characters, and even if at the nine club, don't fullfill all of our requests, most of the episodes are giving us more info than we had before.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

chipped tail

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -42
« Reply #101 on: September 09, 2021, 09:23:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Really hardto listen to. We get it roberts you were a pro skater . Also kinda funny at the beginning suciu said he wasn’t from san jose but saratoga
[close]

Saratoga isn't downtown or East side san jose, its in the west hills and mostly well off people live there.
[close]
yeah i know that but it’s still san jose. He said himself his local park was sunnyvale, not a big deal just seemed kinda weird to me he pointed out he wasn’t from san jose. Oh well
[close]

I think he is clarified so people wouldn't say "Fool claims he's from San Jose but he's a rich boy from Saratoga!"
this is 100% why he said that. Theres a recent interview with Nestor Judkins where he felt the need to specify that hes not from San Jose but Los Gatos which is where the rich people reside. some foos be hard up about claiming SJ
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 09:36:46 AM by chipped tail »