Author Topic: What size trucks?  (Read 285 times)

kdaboulder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 0
What size trucks?
« on: April 09, 2021, 06:37:26 PM »
I want to start shaped decks (footballs and tapered popsicles) which seem to be anywhere between 8.6 and 9.25 with most being 8.75 or 9. My question is: if you were me, would you get 159s or 169s? I want to hear your opinions. Big trucks are rad? Axels poking out too kooky? I look forward to reading your responses!

Kirk

CBP

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 18
Re: What size trucks?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 09:44:43 AM »
Definitely 159s!

carlosthelizard

• Rep: 6
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 01:03:31 PM »
I have been skating 159's on decks between 8.5 - 9.0 for a few years now, I couldn't imagine using a smaller truck with those kinds of shaped boards (everyone has their preferences).

I recently just ordered some 169's (as I have been riding a 9.125 egg shape), and wanted to see what that little bit of extra width will feel like (mostly for cruising around park tranny / grinding coping).

Hopefully they won't feel 'too big', or stick out too much to feel snowboardy.  I would say stick with some 159's, unless you are going to be consistently skating boards that are 9+, or have some kinda of really specific type of skating / terrain in mind.

phlap

• Rep: -3
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 12:03:56 PM »
I've got a (very) tapered 7.94"-ish cruiser that I tried to use some Indy 139's on, and I kept accidentally stepping on my wheels when I pushed and giving myself mini-heart attacks.

Since switching to Venture 5.0's, I've had no issues whatsoever.

I don't know how people skate trucks wider than their board at all. It just seems like a recipe for disaster.

kdaboulder

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 06:06:10 PM »
I've got a (very) tapered 7.94"-ish cruiser that I tried to use some Indy 139's on, and I kept accidentally stepping on my wheels when I pushed and giving myself mini-heart attacks.

Interesting. That's the first practical/non-aesthetic reason I've heard to not go bigger with trucks. Thanks. And thanks to everyone who replied, I found it very helpful. At first I was looking for a reason to get 169's but now I think I'll get 159's. Besides, it's a skateboard. Ill enjoy whatever I'm riding.

Blessings,
Kirk

fairydinkum

• Rep: 14
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 06:37:12 PM »
Hey mate,

Just contrary to popular belief here, I skate a 8.8 football that tapers to 8.5 with 10 inch trucks (184mm axle).

Things this will do:

-make your setup look like a mega ramp hotrod.
-flips feel really wholesome flicking off the nose/tail.
-You may lose treflip/lazerflip motioned tricks.
-You'll find shuvit/360s more stable to land on.
-it's going to feel less tippy when you land, very stable.
-makes your board feel a bit heavier than it really is.

I'm just leaving it here as an FYI incase you were wondering how axles pointing out from the deck may most likely perform.