Author Topic: bs bigspins  (Read 2536 times)

jaysouthbay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
bs bigspins
« on: April 10, 2021, 10:15:58 AM »
if you have bs 180s and pop shuvs on lock do these come naturally in your experience?

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
Re: bs bigspins
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 04:47:59 PM »
if you have bs 180s and pop shuvs on lock do these come naturally in your experience?

Slick ground.
I think about the back 80 more than the shuv unless I'm trying to spin just 270 to front nose or whatever.

The harder I pop down the more likely the board will be underneath me. Vs a sliding one. I'm thinking scoop not pop.

Sliding ones are good to learn to back d on small quarter pipes. The coping catches the board for you. Alley-ooping into those makes it extra easy.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2021, 10:24:05 PM »
To do a proper popped bigspin, having popped 3 shuvs helps. Whip your shoulders around and pop straight down without too much scoop, maybe a little scoop but definitely make sure your tail is hitting the ground clean. Imagine you're trying to spin the board around really fast instead of a slow and high pop shuv... I guess 'zippy' would be a good way to describe how the pop and spin should feel. Feet close together, make sure your trucks are leaning on the heel side or at least flat, it makes the pop work a lot better and makes you not shift too much laterally.

If you have the problem where the board is doing the popped 3shuv just fine but your body cant do the 180 and only does a 90 or something, try look at the nose of your board the whole time. It kinda tricks your head and shoulders into turning the full 180.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2021, 01:20:34 PM »
This goes against what some people suggest but I like to do a late release pop. Like I kinda drag the tail on my way up before i release the board on its spin. Makes flipping the board less likely and seems to carry the board with my body. I don't have it down tho so maybe my method isn't the best. You can try that tho.

goodatmeth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 02:31:15 PM »
Not for me. I can consistently bigflip because I'm basically just doing a tre and turning my body, but the board does half a flip if i want to bigspin most of the time.
I also suck at 360 pop shove its.

This goes against what some people suggest but I like to do a late release pop. Like I kinda drag the tail on my way up before i release the board on its spin. Makes flipping the board less likely and seems to carry the board with my body. I don't have it down tho so maybe my method isn't the best. You can try that tho.

This technique works sometimes for me, but it's still like 1 out of 5 at best

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2021, 02:37:12 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Not for me. I can consistently bigflip because I'm basically just doing a tre and turning my body, but the board does half a flip if i want to bigspin most of the time.
I also suck at 360 pop shove its.

Expand Quote
[close]

This technique works sometimes for me, but it's still like 1 out of 5 at best

To prevent the flip, don't hang much if any of your toe off like with a tre or bigflip and have your front foot a bit less angled. Then make sure to lean your trucks on the heelside as you set up and pop straight down.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2021, 09:36:41 PM »
Back foot 3/4 way in the pocket, front foot like how @tzhangdox said
Stomp the fuck out of it, feel it out
Easier off a kicker but that’s just my old arse
I swear you really gotta stomp it
Front bigs is like half the effort for some reason?
listen to cosmic psychos

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2021, 10:56:20 PM »
Pop off your back toe on the toe side, land on your front heel.

Drucksache

• Rep: -6
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2021, 05:34:33 AM »
Somebody once gave me the advice to slightly rotate my backknee so it points into direction of the frontknee when in popping position. Like a forward looking // position. It sounds weird and feels weird at first, but it really helped me to not flip the board by accident which was one of my biggest problems. Also regarding foot placement: Don´t let the toes of the backfoot hang out.

Good luck!

MC3

• Rep: 124
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2021, 02:22:58 PM »
Some guy I skated with randomly told me the proper foot position for this trick, and it came pretty naturally for me after I started setting up like he did. I'll try and remember to take a pic of the foot position he told me next time I skate
(Cool Trick GIF)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2022, 09:05:26 PM »
Some guy I skated with randomly told me the proper foot position for this trick, and it came pretty naturally for me after I started setting up like he did. I'll try and remember to take a pic of the foot position he told me next time I skate

@MC3 sooooooo

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2022, 05:38:27 AM »
I want to learn these but I don’t try them often enough.
I put my feet similarly as I do for 3flips. I landed a few just messing around.  But yeah this trick is primo galore haha.

If you learned them via YouTube please link the video thanks y’all.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2022, 06:52:48 AM »
I seem utterly incapable of doing them without reverting/sliding the last 90 round on the floor.

tabby weed

• Rep: 4
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2022, 06:32:03 AM »
Honestly my back bigspins are almost more consistent than my back 180s. To me they feel like pretty different tricks. The way I learned back bigspins was by doing them first on banks and mellow quarterpipes—it’s a lot easier cuz you come out reg, but it helps for getting down the shoulder momentum imo.

Mark Renton

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288
  • Choose life.
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2022, 02:18:06 PM »
Getting there..

Still need to get shoulders right to land more but they make sense.. fingers crossed.
video tape yourself saving monks. dont just do it. make sure its caught on film.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2022, 11:01:45 PM »
What always helps me is insisting I’m gonna get fucked up tonite…..

MC3

« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2022, 10:38:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

@MC3 sooooooo

Damn, just saw this. I'll set a reminder in my phone for when I'm skating tomorrow.
(Cool Trick GIF)

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 963
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2022, 09:52:46 AM »
I just wanted to add that I think the most important part of a nice popped bs is holding it down with the front foot so it doesn’t flip.

Also popping Straight down with very little scoop on center of the tip of the tail makes it pop high enough to get on a ledge backside

My shoulders are what creates the spin if I’m trying to get it high and controlled
« Last Edit: April 17, 2022, 10:09:25 AM by Uncle Flea »
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

MC3

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2022, 03:35:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

@MC3 sooooooo
[close]

Damn, just saw this. I'll set a reminder in my phone for when I'm skating tomorrow.

sorry for the weird photo. To me, the key is to keep the back foot in the center of the tail with a lot less scoop, more towards the tip of the tail if you want to go higher, but also it gets less stable (for me, at least) the further towards the tip of the tail. I can usually get them around with this foot position. Front foot is there to keep it flat, so move it around to see what works best for you.

also, everything said here is the truth, worded way better than i ever could

I just wanted to add that I think the most important part of a nice popped bs is holding it down with the front foot so it doesn’t flip.

Also popping Straight down with very little scoop on center of the tip of the tail makes it pop high enough to get on a ledge backside

My shoulders are what creates the spin if I’m trying to get it high and controlled
(Cool Trick GIF)

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2022, 02:19:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

@MC3 sooooooo
[close]

[close]

sorry for the weird photo. To me, the key is to keep the back foot in the center of the tail with a lot less scoop, more towards the tip of the tail if you want to go higher, but also it gets less stable (for me, at least) the further towards the tip of the tail. I can usually get them around with this foot position. Front foot is there to keep it flat, so move it around to see what works best for you.

also, everything said here is the truth, worded way better than i ever could

Expand Quote

[close]

Thank you both!

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2022, 03:21:06 AM »
Every one who can pop fakie bs bigspins is a pro in my eyes. That makes absolutely no sense to me. Although fakie pop shuv and halfcabs are my go-to tricks.
IG: @flowterspace

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2022, 05:38:47 AM »
Every one who can pop fakie bs bigspins is a pro in my eyes. That makes absolutely no sense to me. Although fakie pop shuv and halfcabs are my go-to tricks.

one of the few rotational tricks I can do well without a pivot, i've been working on getting them more popped and it's pretty satisfying.

I find the key to doing them popped is to think about doing the trick under you rather than ahead of you, when i learnt them lower to the floor originally the trick would always send me and the board forward quite a bit, but now if i'm doing them popped I have more of my body over the back truck and really try to keep the spin more compact and under me so i'm going more upwards than forwards... if that makes any sense at all.

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2022, 07:39:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

one of the few rotational tricks I can do well without a pivot, i've been working on getting them more popped and it's pretty satisfying.

I find the key to doing them popped is to think about doing the trick under you rather than ahead of you, when i learnt them lower to the floor originally the trick would always send me and the board forward quite a bit, but now if i'm doing them popped I have more of my body over the back truck and really try to keep the spin more compact and under me so i'm going more upwards than forwards... if that makes any sense at all.

Sounds about right.  I'll throw in a good few bs bigspin attempts into a session but I've never landed one.  Popped fakie bigspins will come to me within a few tries though.  Something about the direction I pop them when going fakie just makes it pop up and spin right under me and I don't really have to think about weight distribution or anything else.  It doesn't translate when going forward though and it's driving me slightly demented. 

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2022, 09:56:30 AM »
your regular pop shove has to be really good if you want to do it really nicely down stuff. like to the point you can pop shove it over a skateboard deck easily without over or under rotating. i rarely see people with shoves this good. even to do it over 1 deck you have to do it a lot higher thna you would for a kickflip or ollie... my shove is not that good and i have done down some pretty big stair sets / gaps. so i have never got those huge pop ones but i have done up some euro gaps and no popped some down some small sets.

i have the slide on the floor bigspins pretty much 10 / 10 and that is really just about having your "walk the dog" style shoveits down pat. it will look nicer if you can try and send the shoveit as much 360 as possible and then just try to spot the last 90 or 45 degrees of the landing to avoid a complete blind landing (it is much better form to do the blind landings as that is what will set you up for the euro gaps / down stairs)
ONTARIO CANADA

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2022, 10:11:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Yeah that is it, for fakie bigspin you can just pop literally straight down and the board will come up just right from your original positioning because you're going with the momentum here and not trying to force through it like you would popping from reg stance. For popped fakie bigspin I know I think pedal straight down, zero scoop or shove since you're trying to use the pop instead anyway, so you want vertical force. It's basically just doing a regular, actually popped shove except approaching riding backwards and pivoting over the axis in the air with your hips to land back in your normal stance.

A fun trick that's not too hard and surprisingly not dissimilar in practice, just a bit more awkward is halfcab late shove-it (spinning the same way), since you have to delay the shove it's basically a popped halfcab and then you overextend it and the board stays under you if you're used to fakie bigspin.