Author Topic: Worst/cheapest piece of gear you’ve used  (Read 3713 times)

pamier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 15
Worst/cheapest piece of gear you’ve used
« on: April 10, 2021, 10:28:52 AM »
The cheap and worst aren’t always the same but you usually get what you pay for.
I picked up some Diamond shoes and I thought they had amazing flick probably because I was skating pretty much just hot glue b4. Only after I picked up some slip on pros did I realize how nice fs flips could feel.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
Re: Worst/cheapest piece of gear you’ve used
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 05:07:58 PM »
Found some FKD Swiss bearings on Amazon for dirt cheap. They were utter trash and slow as heck.

Picked up some Osiris from Ross and the suede was that weird cardboard like material. The flick was bad and I never had boardfeel in them.
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 05:26:36 PM »
Got some 30$ Emerica Romero Laced as a gift and they were fucking awesome

ish_wav

• Rep: 93
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 05:45:50 PM »
I bought a pair of eS Swift 1.5 last year when Zumiez online had like $20 shoes. I ripped a hole in the suede my first session. Was super bummed.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 938
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 06:20:07 PM »
Enjoi bearings, half of them were seized up out of the box; had to clean them and re-lube them and popped shields before the first use...and they still sucked.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 02:09:12 PM by Xen »

FUBAR

• Rep: 231
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 06:54:39 PM »
Got some squishy bs blank white 51mm wheels off ebay. Pure junk.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 07:23:00 PM »
Black Diamond Griptape

Solid cheap grip

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 07:59:11 PM »
Had some no name grip that was so thick and stiff/hard that it peeled off the nose in a full layer. Also the roll felt like it was literally rocks cast into a layer of plastic. Effortlessly peeled it off the deck without heat in one piece.

PMA

pamier

• Rep: 15
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 08:30:50 PM »
I really liked the pair of Straye’s I skate.
always get mixed up with state and straye both pretty nice, get clowned for wearing state though because all the kids at my local think it says skate and is some generic brand. all good though cuz i got that financial responsibility and can look fresh for less than the price of reduced school lunch, big ups ben gore

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 11:23:14 PM »
$2 griptape from ebay during last year's hardgoods shortage. Really thin and my shoe tore a hole in it after 1 session. What even.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 07:26:58 PM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2021, 04:07:41 AM »
Found some FKD Swiss bearings on Amazon for dirt cheap. They were utter trash and slow as heck.

Picked up some Osiris from Ross and the suede was that weird cardboard like material. The flick was bad and I never had boardfeel in them.

Whatever fkd uses for lubricant sucks but both sets I've had were pretty good once I took them apart and rinsed with acetone. Same with Andale, horrible out of the package but once I broke them in and cleaned them they were fine (other than the shields bending if you so much as breathe on them). I do think the FKD retainer that doubles as it's own shield is a pretty cool design.

Not cheap but Gullwings fucking suck. They're heavy, ugly, and no matter how much I cranked them down they still wobbled any time I was going over 10mph.

As for cheap, I don't know if anyone remembers titan ti-light trucks but they're the most janky trucks I've ever seen. They weigh next to nothing because the hanger is basically open and made of some cheap alloy that feels like plastic. To prevent axle slip they drill a hole through the hanger and axle and then put a piece of metal in it and flatten the ends like a janky ass rivet. They also manage to consistently wheelbite without actually turning,. The turn is so bad they make krux or the old slide plate tensors feel like fucking aces.

The guy who owned them occasionally sells old stock on ebay for like $12 a pair so if you want to play a really mean joke on your skate buddies swap their trucks out for a pair of titans, that's pretty much the only thing they're good for.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2021, 08:21:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Whatever fkd uses for lubricant sucks but both sets I've had were pretty good once I took them apart and rinsed with acetone. Same with Andale, horrible out of the package but once I broke them in and cleaned them they were fine (other than the shields bending if you so much as breathe on them). I do think the FKD retainer that doubles as it's own shield is a pretty cool design.

Not cheap but Gullwings fucking suck. They're heavy, ugly, and no matter how much I cranked them down they still wobbled any time I was going over 10mph.

As for cheap, I don't know if anyone remembers titan ti-light trucks but they're the most janky trucks I've ever seen. They weigh next to nothing because the hanger is basically open and made of some cheap alloy that feels like plastic. To prevent axle slip they drill a hole through the hanger and axle and then put a piece of metal in it and flatten the ends like a janky ass rivet. They also manage to consistently wheelbite without actually turning,. The turn is so bad they make krux or the old slide plate tensors feel like fucking aces.

The guy who owned them occasionally sells old stock on ebay for like $12 a pair so if you want to play a really mean joke on your skate buddies swap their trucks out for a pair of titans, that's pretty much the only thing they're good for.

I always forget about Titans. A friend of mine had them back in the day and they felt unridable.

Peepeeboy69

• Rep: 14
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 12:15:13 PM »
i skated a pair of poshmark dress shoes after a bad interview

flick pretty good, pointy toe helps. Surprisingly did not rip in 1 session

tread horrible, and it felt like skating barefoot tbh

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2021, 03:03:46 PM »
I couldn’t afford griptape and stuck orange sandpaper that my dad had laying around to my board.

It sucked.

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2021, 07:13:01 AM »
Bronson Raws are the worst bearings in the game.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2021, 10:11:23 AM »
Bronson Raws are the worst bearings in the game.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -324
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2021, 10:29:13 AM »
Back in 2012ish City Trends in the hood shopping plaza had a fuck load of Supra Antwaun Dixon pro shoes in purple and red for $15 I scooped up at least 12 pairs. Now as far functionality they were on point but since it was canvas they shredded like wheat but if they were in a suede or something tougher I’d gladly give them a try again.
Dueces Bitch's

imposter

• Rep: -63
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2021, 10:43:34 AM »
This isn't skateboarding related but i bought a Slayer shirt with the pentagram on it and my mother made me throw it away

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2021, 11:51:37 AM »
supra shoes that when I went on the tombstone (high outcrop of vert in a small bowl) my feet were sliding at the apex. nonononono.

They were cupsole and never broke in. They were also hideous in hindsight
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2021, 11:58:57 AM »
Back in 2012ish City Trends in the hood shopping plaza had a fuck load of Supra Antwaun Dixon pro shoes in purple and red for $15 I scooped up at least 12 pairs. Now as far functionality they were on point but since it was canvas they shredded like wheat but if they were in a suede or something tougher I’d gladly give them a try again.

I forgot I owned a pair of Antwuans until this reminded me, great cupsoles from what I remember.

Got these from my local for $20, worst insole ever.

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1033
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2021, 01:05:45 PM »

bought these "Slant" brand trucks cause they were wide, and looked fun, my cruiser. For those of you who don't know, slant was a dwindle price point truck brand. They scraped this line to just make the tensor alloy trucks instead. From What i can tell they're are identical though. They're an 8,75 truck. The turn like complete ass. Even with the new bushings, over cranked kingpin bolt, 2 sets of 1/8in risers, they were still garbage. I just replaced them with some ace 66s.

Kneesles

• Rep: 10
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2021, 03:29:24 PM »

bought these "Slant" brand trucks cause they were wide, and looked fun, my cruiser. For those of you who don't know, slant was a dwindle price point truck brand. They scraped this line to just make the tensor alloy trucks instead. From What i can tell they're are identical though. They're an 8,75 truck. The turn like complete ass. Even with the new bushings, over cranked kingpin bolt, 2 sets of 1/8in risers, they were still garbage. I just replaced them with some ace 66s.

What about the turn did you not like? Ive been riding the Tensor alloys in the 5.5/8.25 and 6.0/8.75 and feel they have a great turn. Right on par with mini logo trucks. If you look closely at film trucks, they use practically the same base plate as the tensor/slant trucks with a taller hanger and people love their turn from what I've read. The old version of film trucks even have the same hanger/base plate design as the tensor alloy/slants.

Big_Dingus

• Rep: 5
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2021, 03:36:40 PM »
Silver trucks back in the day. One of the hangers literally broke in half from an ollie off like a 3 ft drop. I  saved money to buy those things too, thanks a lot P-Rod!

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2021, 05:35:29 PM »

I used to skate those once in a while a part of a globe cruiser and they were pretty nice, actually

PMA

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2021, 07:51:30 PM »
Tie between a $10 set of Royals with inverted Kingpins and a $12 set of Krux k4.

Actually- the royals are better.

fairydinkum

• Rep: 17
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2021, 08:28:51 PM »
Thunder trucks 149mm standards

broke in 2 months, the pivot cup mould snapped off.

paid about 70 AUD which is really cheap for the Aussie price of a truck.

bought off a skateshop and will only try thunders again for shits and giggles.

mbam003

• Rep: 20
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2021, 08:44:54 PM »
Of all the cheap skate products, cheap decks are by far the worst. A while ago in efforts to save money I bought something like a Bullet - at half the regular deck price it was soggy right from the shop, could never pop it right and it started delaminating soon after. I don't know which cheap wood they used to make it, but the wood felt worse than my first complete skateboard from the early 2000s.

yopsssss

• Rep: 0
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2021, 06:26:02 PM »
Hubba wheels circa 2008. Fuckers would get the craziest flat spots in one day on any terrain. End of the day I’d literally have pieces missing out of them lmfaoo

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 481
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2021, 06:40:34 PM »
Worst gear definitely the cheap bronsons, g3? Whatever the ones are that were competing with reds. Absolute garbage.

Bought some $10 states and they were some of the best vulcs I ever skated

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2021, 07:16:00 PM »
I bought some of those unshielded Bronsons when I needed some bearings in the early shutdown stage of the pandemic. I knew better intellectually than to trust a bearing without a shield, but these were literally the *only* bearings in town and I wanted to support my local shop, which I was naively believed might have a bad year due to quarantine.

Complete trash. Lasted a handful of sessions, until I rolled into the dirt and they were basically destroyed permanently. I can't believe that they can charge so much for a product that sucks so comprehensively.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021