Author Topic: Looking into moving to Ohio  (Read 723 times)

TurdyBird

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
Looking into moving to Ohio
« on: April 10, 2021, 06:12:11 PM »
Looking into moving out of my expensive home state. Just kind of over it for many different reasons but mostly the cost of living.

Columbus and Cincinnati are most to appealing to me right now. I have a feeling Columbus being a college city, skate scene is solid. Any slappers from those areas give me anymore insight?
The chillest1

FUBAR

• Rep: 235
Re: Looking into moving to Ohio
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 07:11:03 PM »
I was just in Columbus Friday and Saturday looking if I wanted to move there. Seems like a rad place, and Embassy is a dope shop.

Prinzy

• Rep: 178
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 08:43:56 PM »
I'm only in my early 20's but have been a lifelong Cincinnati, Ohio resident.

I wouldn't recommend anywhere that isnt Cleveland, Columbus, or Cincinnati. Places like Dayton (though has a good skate scene), Toledo and Akron are true rust belt shitholes (excluding Dayton, which is moreso just boring)

Columbus probably has the most thriving scene but it really is focused around the OSU campus. The rest of the city, while it has spots, is kinda drab, flat and uninteresting. There is a super sick DIY spot that is just a covered parking lot for a warehouse. Totally free to skate it at your leisure and people bring boxes, rails, and anything else worth skating. Super fun vibe.

Cleveland is dope and I love skating there, weather is a little harsher compared to the other two but it really is a fun city. It is probably the best city in Ohio when it comes to infrastructure and living quality, but that is just my subjective take and not based on any concrete statistics.

Though I hope to move after college, I really do love Cincinnati. It has its shitty aspects, but it really is a charming city with a lot of quirks. If you've ever been to Pittsburgh (really should, best midwest city imo) its just a slightly smaller, shittier version. Cincinnati spots are killer and have a handful of decent to great shops all within an hour-ish radius of the city.

I would hesitate to justify moving to any of them for skate spots. While having a wealth of them, most people I know just frequent their local ledge spot or manny pad as opposed to the actual notable spots in the city.

If you have anymore questions, I'd love to answer them! Mind you, I havent lived in all three of those options, but have spent enough time in each to give some decent input.

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2021, 06:54:18 AM »
My best advice is to ignore what anyone in Michigan says about Ohio. We absolutely hate that state for absolutely no reason.

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 01:49:38 AM »
My best advice is to ignore what anyone in Michigan says about Ohio. We absolutely hate that state for absolutely no reason.

People from Michigan tend to hate everywhere that isn't Michigan.

Keep_on_Chooglin

• Rep: 28
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 09:56:56 PM »
Columbus is cool. Typical midwestern sprawl with shitty ground but spots are around and they have great concrete parks all over the place.  Wouldn't really consider it a college city with the exception of the campus area but they do love them buckeyes throughout the whole state.

Dodge park is actually pretty fun (assuming it still exists) and Nancy's Home Cooking in Clintonville is 100% absolutely the truth.

BeardedBastard

• Rep: 1
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2021, 04:14:36 AM »

There was that little Toledo War thing