Author Topic: How to ollie/air over spine. Any tips?  (Read 945 times)

Bugsytootsie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -10
How to ollie/air over spine. Any tips?
« on: March 13, 2021, 05:46:15 PM »
Hey slap pals. I've been really enjoying skating transition lately after skating mainly flatground, ledges and flatbars for years. I'm fairly comfortable with the basic stalls grinds and just feeling of transition in general. I'm not quite sure how much of the same mechanics are required to take from a normal ollie on flat or how to adjust getting air over a spine and transferring back in on the opposite side. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
Re: How to ollie/air over spine. Any tips?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2021, 07:50:28 PM »
I could do them decently for a while but am now too chicken to do them on anything except tiny stuff.

I never hit my tail on them, just bonk the coping, suck up your legs and float over. Do a whole bunch of spine transfers to tail to get comfortable with the feeling of going over. Eventually you try going faster and launching over, and then eventually you commit and stay on your board. When you actually do it, it’s not much different mechanically than pumping a pump bump. It’s really a commitment trick as opposed to something that takes a lot of finesse. Some people find it easier to grab but I can barely touch my toes.

Bugsytootsie

• Rep: -10
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2021, 08:34:02 PM »
That makes sense! Thank you so much for the tips. I really appreciate it 🙏🏾

loftie.1

• Rep: 3
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2021, 10:32:41 PM »
I learned by riding up onto quarter pipes. it's speed,leaning forward and just pulling your legs up. ride enough tranny and eventually you'll just ollie over the damn thing for convenience sake.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 298
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2021, 10:33:12 AM »
how steep is the transition on the spine? If it's approximately mini ramp sized (5 feet or less high, doesn't go to vert) you could get away with cracking an ollie over it like you would if you were airing out of the QP onto the deck if there wasn't transition on the other side of the coping. The higher up the transition/steeper it is the less helpful popping off your tail would be, in that case I agree with the previous poster in just riding up and over the coping with enough speed to get some air and make it to the other side.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

GumOnMyGrip

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Rep: 220
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2021, 12:09:36 PM »
If you can do a fly out on a ramp or bowl where you just bounce your back wheels off the coping you can air over a spine- it’s the exact same thing . Just let your body level out, keep your board under you and then gravity will take you back down the transition on the other side. Give yourself about 5 tries fully committed and you will get it...
You will likely land a try in the flat, land a few with your weight wrong ( prepare to take a few ass slams) and then it will click.
Don’t try to blast at first, just relax and get over.
For Ollie go over straight, if you are going to grab give yourself about a 15 degree approach.
Good luck!