Author Topic: Dashawn Jordan on Toy Machine  (Read 32081 times)

grassblade

Re: Dashawn Jordan on Toy Machine
« Reply #180 on: January 24, 2023, 07:47:32 PM »
Toy machine was always a contest skaters company. Ed, bam, Kerry Getz, Chris senn, barely, ba all were in xgames etc

i swear this place is getting dumber by the day

yes, ed won all those contests that one summer, and chris senn/BA/Donny killed them too -
contests were just still a normal social activity for pros and lots of people on toy machine participated in them

but to say it's a "contest skater's company" then, is absolutely braindead

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #181 on: January 24, 2023, 07:59:55 PM »
Expand Quote
Toy machine was always a contest skaters company. Ed, bam, Kerry Getz, Chris senn, barely, ba all were in xgames etc
[close]

yes, ed won all those contests that one summer, and chris senn/BA/Donny killed them too -
contests were just still a normal social activity for pros and lots of people on toy machine participated in them

Lol to get upset is even dumber. Toy machines always had guys that skated comps that's it. Same today as it was in the 90s.

grassblade

« Reply #182 on: January 24, 2023, 08:01:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Lol to get upset is even dumber. Toy machines always had guys that skated comps that's it. Same today as it was in the 90s.

if you think donny barley or brian anderson is a "contest skater" you are fried

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #183 on: January 24, 2023, 08:08:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

No they are just as much a contest skater as the guys on toy today. They skate comps and also do demos and film parts just like the toy team did in the 90s.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #184 on: January 24, 2023, 08:38:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dashawn has way too much going on and at the rate he sponsor hops, hes about due to jump ship. Pretty sure Toy Machine has as much power as the other guys when producing shapes for their pros and stuff and hes been on toy long enough to have figured his shape shit out by now. If hes riding blanks, hes probably already onto the next brand. Kinda just what he does....

Element, sovern, real, b&c, toy machine, I kinda see him going to april after this but he has been at primitive park and rolling real close wwith Prod so the primitive thing seems real.

Never really understood how he even got on toy in the first place or how that conversation even came up in the first place.
[close]

Toy probably wanted a mainstream guy and didn't know the monster braden would become
[close]

i think they also discovered the upside to sponsoring children contest skaters and they’re mostly gonna do that from now on
[close]

The ultimate fate of a number of surviving legacy brands.
[close]
[close]

were any of them under the age of 16 though? because that’s more what i was referring to. contests are fine, they’ve been a part of it the whole time, but having a 12 year old on your brand is lame no matter what.

What if it’s Guy Mariano in Video Days?

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #185 on: January 24, 2023, 09:36:15 PM »
there was a few moves right before the olympics, that didn’t pan out. this one and zion on vans being the other main one
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -438
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #186 on: January 24, 2023, 11:02:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
No they are just as much a contest skater as the guys on toy today. They skate comps and also do demos and film parts just like the toy team did in the 90s.
Suciu skated Street League, but would you really call suciu a contest skater like Dashawn? There’s a difference between leaving a crazy legacy in skating like BA and a skater who attributes the majority of their success to contest wins, and I love Dashawn btw

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #187 on: January 25, 2023, 12:53:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
Suciu skated Street League, but would you really call suciu a contest skater like Dashawn? There’s a difference between leaving a crazy legacy in skating like BA and a skater who attributes the majority of their success to contest wins, and I love Dashawn btw
Well I wouldn't of called dashawn a contest skater either lol I didn't realise it would rub people the wrong way so much. Just pointing out toys current team is much the same as the old team so if the new team are just contest skaters that would mean the old team were just contest skaters. I'd prob compare dashawn more to Getz than ba anyway.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 63
« Reply #188 on: January 25, 2023, 04:29:37 AM »
Dashawn is a contest skater, just like Nyjah, and that’s one reason why they’re so fucking good. He just does stuff so smooth, like he has it all on lock from contests and legit training, not just hitting the streets, you can tell he trains and views himself as an athlete (think it says that on his IG bio).

Contest skater doesn’t have to be an insult, and obviously he still kills it in the streets.

zahed

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -25
« Reply #189 on: January 25, 2023, 04:48:38 AM »
team dashawn here. seems like a genuinely good dude with a weird trick selection. would be a big grab for King. Primitive seems like the more likely option and better fit.

whale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 204
« Reply #190 on: January 25, 2023, 05:07:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Contest were a bit different back then, there wasn't that many, and price money was much smaller. You couldn't really build a career out of them like you can now.
Well maybe Andy Mac could.

wuust

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #191 on: April 12, 2023, 10:41:41 PM »
as per dermbot he is of?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #192 on: April 12, 2023, 10:47:31 PM »
team dashawn here. seems like a genuinely good dude with a weird trick selection. would be a big grab for King. Primitive seems like the more likely option and better fit.

i don’t seem him moving the needle for king.   It’s a cult of personality for Tyshawn and lesser extent Nakel.   People who are into it are into it regardless of whichever riders the add to it

yourbreakfsat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #193 on: April 16, 2023, 09:41:15 AM »
From the latest Thrasher (#515)

inb4 new board brand

LebowskisRug

« Reply #194 on: April 16, 2023, 09:48:07 AM »
Primitive would be my guess

kook1234

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 135
« Reply #195 on: April 16, 2023, 09:48:40 AM »
Dashawn is going to join Tyshawn at king

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #196 on: April 16, 2023, 11:53:59 AM »

It's April. He's got Shane's board in his trunk in this insta clip...

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -5
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #197 on: April 16, 2023, 01:23:49 PM »

April is one of those brands I just forget exists. Good for them but would like him on a brand that has an actual identity

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #198 on: April 16, 2023, 01:46:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
April is one of those brands I just forget exists. Good for them but would like him on a brand that has an actual identity

You want SHANE O NEILLs brand to have more personality?   It’s just a High Tape Primitive (but stripped back without the football squad sized team or unbearable amounts of collabs)

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -482
« Reply #199 on: April 16, 2023, 02:42:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Well I agree the actual company could use a more dialed in graphic identity, I think he’s done a great job of letting the riders do the talking so far. Everything they’ve put out is quality and it seems like he encourages the team to do their own thing a lot for example letting ish drop parts for his space giants brand when that could easily one of aprils quarterly video offerings .
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

OhioGuy

• Rep: 63
« Reply #200 on: April 16, 2023, 02:54:11 PM »
April is a good fit. I wonder why he keeps moving around? Decks will never bring in a ton of money for him. Graphics are gonna be more tasteful, though. He’s a stylish dude and those TM ones probably irked him lol

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 404
« Reply #201 on: April 16, 2023, 03:09:02 PM »
April’s identity is their lack of identity. It’s very much helvetica, futura, etc… and it works. Or maybe I should take this to the unpopular opinion thread.

lurkluke

• Rep: 175
« Reply #202 on: April 16, 2023, 04:08:26 PM »
April’s identity is their lack of identity. It’s very much helvetica, futura, etc… and it works. Or maybe I should take this to the unpopular opinion thread.

They have a vaporwave/mallsoft vibe to some of their stuff. I dunno how that translates to a brand long term, but I dig it.

I'd love to see a full length but worried it'll be boring as.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #203 on: April 16, 2023, 04:13:12 PM »
I can always count on April to remind me that Numbers no longer exists..

slimvanilla

« Reply #204 on: April 16, 2023, 04:19:52 PM »
April and Dawshawn fit pretty well imo. a good mix between being cool and corny at the same time

French manicure

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #205 on: April 16, 2023, 04:25:25 PM »
When did Toy Machine fall off?

MusclesMarinara

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #206 on: April 16, 2023, 04:30:42 PM »

When the chief decided Zero could be more than just a t shirt brand.
Alex Olson never had the makings of a varsity athlete.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #207 on: April 16, 2023, 05:54:12 PM »

A decade or more ago, but their pro lineup now is slim and stacked with rippers.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1292
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #208 on: April 16, 2023, 05:57:23 PM »
As long as they sponsor Myles Willard, I will pay attention to Toy Machine.

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 543
« Reply #209 on: April 16, 2023, 06:03:05 PM »
Dashawn on April makes more sense than Dashawn on Toy.

Plus with more of his Nike teammates on April, it probably felt better for him.