Author Topic: Car wash kid from texas  (Read 10284 times)

pica

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Car wash kid from texas
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2021, 02:55:35 PM »
I can‘t see what should be wrong about a fiveteen year old kid who is just hyped on skateboarding.
That trick was legit as is the kid.

Also dollins kickflip tries where better than any trick ever landed into the bank.
Don‘t question spawn.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 432
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2021, 01:13:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Serious question: is there history/footage of people skating it like a regular bank spot (ride up - trick - ride down)? I feel like I've seen clips of Gonz maybe skating it that way?
[close]
I think I remember this but also werent there smaller banks on the side that were grindable or was that another car wash spot?
[close]

I haven't been to LA in forever, but I did skate another car wash spot (believe it's called Downtown Car Wash, rather than Sunset Car Wash). It has smaller grindable banks along the sidewalk plus a little hip thing over a pillar which I believe Gonz has footage on.

I remember Daewon skating this a bunch, always thought it was next to The Carwash"

ChrisSennsGirlfriend

• Rep: 126
« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2021, 01:40:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Just to test your theory, who besides Cardiel, Greco, Milton, Midler, and the Texan child has done tricks at the carwash?

[close]

Wasn't there one other ollie into this? I thought someone posted the late-90s video part that had a car wash ollie a few weeks ago.

Also, has anyone else tried yelling, "For Midler!" before trying a trick? I tried it out yesterday and I grinded the shit out of this little ledge downtown. There might be something to this pre-trick ritual.

Finally, I re-watched the video and the stupid title card says, "He came without a filmer on the third day"... the angles are exactly the same as they were every other day. He was cellphone filmed the entire time not just the last day. Also, I like how they muted the colors for the first few tries and then as soon as this kid sees Midler "for the first time" its like a fucking Claritin D commercial and all the colors pop.

so good.

yeah it's extremely on brand for borra and the borrics to ratchet the DRAMA up to 11 in a way that just hurts the clip/accomplishment.

a lot of people are defending the kid but i don't think he really needs defending. if a five second clip of just the trick was fed into the online skate media meat grinder - a couple people would say 'nice pop asshole' and many more would say 'gnar.' and then we would move on with our lives. it's the borrics reality tv fucking real housewives of sunset car wash 'narrative construction' that did the kid dirty*

the berrics started when this kid was, what, 2 years old? [wrap your heads around that shit]. all the grotesqueries that make that video criiiiiiinge are probably just normal to him and a lot of kids that age, and that... fucking sucks.

*of fabricating 'street' spots and on fabricating coincidental encounters with a skater at the one iconic spot their career has become intertwined with? [i want to believe it was a coincidence just so i can choose to imagine that midler has spent innumerable hours driving by that spot multiple times per day every single day since he put down the 360]
Mike Anderson is a small town labor union hottie

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2021, 02:23:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just to test your theory, who besides Cardiel, Greco, Milton, Midler, and the Texan child has done tricks at the carwash?

[close]

Wasn't there one other ollie into this? I thought someone posted the late-90s video part that had a car wash ollie a few weeks ago.

Also, has anyone else tried yelling, "For Midler!" before trying a trick? I tried it out yesterday and I grinded the shit out of this little ledge downtown. There might be something to this pre-trick ritual.

Finally, I re-watched the video and the stupid title card says, "He came without a filmer on the third day"... the angles are exactly the same as they were every other day. He was cellphone filmed the entire time not just the last day. Also, I like how they muted the colors for the first few tries and then as soon as this kid sees Midler "for the first time" its like a fucking Claritin D commercial and all the colors pop.

[close]

so good.

yeah it's extremely on brand for borra and the borrics to ratchet the DRAMA up to 11 in a way that just hurts the clip/accomplishment.

a lot of people are defending the kid but i don't think he really needs defending. if a five second clip of just the trick was fed into the online skate media meat grinder - a couple people would say 'nice pop asshole' and many more would say 'gnar.' and then we would move on with our lives. it's the borrics reality tv fucking real housewives of sunset car wash 'narrative construction' that did the kid dirty*

the berrics started when this kid was, what, 2 years old? [wrap your heads around that shit]. all the grotesqueries that make that video criiiiiiinge are probably just normal to him and a lot of kids that age, and that... fucking sucks.

*of fabricating 'street' spots and on fabricating coincidental encounters with a skater at the one iconic spot their career has become intertwined with? [i want to believe it was a coincidence just so i can choose to imagine that midler has spent innumerable hours driving by that spot multiple times per day every single day since he put down the 360]

I don‘t think that Gavin had much influence on how the video came out. I‘m pretty sure the berrics where all like

„If you want to you can give  us the footage and we’ll put you out there to a large audience.“

And you better be sure i‘d have taken that chance in a fucking heartbeat.

Dummklaus

• Rep: 45
« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2021, 02:42:22 AM »
Bet the kid has never even done designer drugs. Loser.

Logic

• Rep: 35
« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2021, 03:25:21 AM »
I wonder how long before Trae the Tank's dad makes him ollie into it.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #126 on: April 18, 2021, 04:03:02 AM »
Serious question: is there history/footage of people skating it like a regular bank spot (ride up - trick - ride down)? I feel like I've seen clips of Gonz maybe skating it that way?

The Muska in Fulfill the Dream (around 2:25), pretty sure that is the Sunset Carwash? EDIT: after comparing Google Street View and Muska's footy: not so sure anymore.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2021, 04:19:11 AM by TheDraught »

citycity

• Rep: -98
« Reply #127 on: April 18, 2021, 04:40:25 AM »
I think you are correct. I am pretty sure that is the same spot.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Team -65K
« Reply #128 on: April 18, 2021, 05:57:26 AM »
I think you are correct. I am pretty sure that is the same spot.

Yes I also found this from LA Conservancy, so the design is one of its kind at least in the LA area:

https://www.laconservancy.org/locations/sunset-car-wash

Gabriel

• Rep: 12
    • website avatar image
« Reply #129 on: April 18, 2021, 07:18:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

so good.

clapping citizen kane gif

ThisFuckingDude

• Rep: -11
« Reply #130 on: April 18, 2021, 04:46:50 PM »
I wonder how long before Trae the Tank's dad makes him ollie into it.
Once Traes dad sees this he’s gonna tell him their going skating and end up at the car wash and tell him no food or video games till you ride you away.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #131 on: April 18, 2021, 05:10:29 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The Muska in Fulfill the Dream (around 2:25), pretty sure that is the Sunset Carwash? EDIT: after comparing Google Street View and Muska's footy: not so sure anymore.

na, this is the same spot with the smaller banks (ed and billy shared toy part and countless other people), it's in dtla, at w olympic blvd. the sunset carwash is 10 miles away.

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 294
« Reply #132 on: April 19, 2021, 06:47:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

na, this is the same spot with the smaller banks (ed and billy shared toy part and countless other people), it's in dtla, at w olympic blvd. the sunset carwash is 10 miles away.
Downtown Car Wash it’s at Olympic and Figueroa, I think it’s boarded up right now though.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 998
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2021, 08:05:51 AM »
He didn't pop.

Still burly. I wouldn't do it.

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #134 on: April 19, 2021, 08:34:07 AM »

In the not-so-distant past when skate trips were safe & viable, I hosted some friends from out of town. When we were getting ready for bed, I had a brilliant moment of inspiration and came up with Night Diarrhea. It's a fictitious medical condition. I was like "Oh hey before you go to bed, just be warned, I have night diarrhea." Like, if you hear me having explosive diarrhea all night long, don't worry it's just my Night Diarrhea acting up.

Eventually that week Night Diarrhea turned into the pepto bismol theme song, but instead of Diarrhea we'd sing Nyjahrrhea "Upset stomach, nyjahrrhea".

AND THEN, Night Diarrhea became the torment of the Midnight Midler. It was no longer a medical condition, but a curse. At Midnight, the menacing Midnight Midler would creep into your sleeping quarters and instill you with a terrible case of Night Diarrhea.

So that's all I have to add to this thread

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2021, 12:54:20 PM »
did the transworld cover get talked about

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Team -65K
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2021, 03:55:45 PM »
The gnarly thing about Greco is he didn't go straight down, he landed at a slight angle and had to carve a bit.

That's hard as (painted) nails.

Also thanks to pointing out there is another car wash with banks quite similar. I guess LA Conservancy doesn't know about that one.

I looked it up on Street View and the bank The Muska skates now has skatestoppers, but mounted vertical instead of horizontal, so you can still do tricks between them or over them.

Edit: well you would need a small board.

Edit 2: what 128 kb maximum size for images? Is this 1994 and are we on Gophernet?? No offense to the mods you're doing a great job, just surprised.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 04:06:11 PM by TheDraught »

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2021, 10:23:10 PM »
did the transworld cover get talked about

is this the first instance of deep frying??

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #138 on: April 23, 2021, 11:08:10 AM »
The gnarly thing about Greco is he didn't go straight down, he landed at a slight angle and had to carve a bit.

Also thanks to pointing out there is another car wash with banks quite similar. I guess LA Conservancy doesn't know about that one.

I looked it up on Street View and the bank The Muska skates now has skatestoppers, but mounted vertical instead of horizontal, so you can still do tricks between them or over them.

Edit 2: what 128 kb maximum size for images? Is this 1994 and are we on Gophernet?? No offense to the mods you're doing a great job, just surprised.

I pulled the sequence out of storage and scanned

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #139 on: April 23, 2021, 02:08:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Greco is as hard as nails.

I don't care about back 3s into it.

This is way gnarlier, the way he did it.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Team -65K
« Reply #140 on: April 24, 2021, 10:20:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Thanks for the scan. They should have used the fifth frame for the cover. Looks way better than his "rocket ollie" they actually used.

BugleBites

• Rep: -68
« Reply #141 on: April 24, 2021, 11:32:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

This^ is a classic Slap comment. Only here could someone decide a backside 360 is easier than a straight ollie.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #142 on: April 24, 2021, 12:42:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

This^ is a classic Slap comment. Only here could someone decide a backside 360 is easier than a straight ollie.

I never said it was harder

It's just better

There's a difference. Life isn't one big SLS game or whatever horse shit you think skateboarding is.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 718
  • Free Max B
« Reply #143 on: April 24, 2021, 03:25:15 PM »
wait so that one LA spot from all the vidsi watched growing up with the banks all down the blocks arent the same as the carwash?, some were like half size so like waist high and waxed, people did pivot fakie grinds into the sunse, others were clearly taller banks (beleive Huf fs ollied some bugged out channel bank to bank gap there olderhead pals lmk). i just assumed that was all the same spot and that it was like a city block, each side the banks were different.

to me its crazy like.

free max b
FREE MAX B

mareo

• Rep: -342
« Reply #144 on: April 24, 2021, 09:49:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's just better

There's a difference. Life isn't one big SLS game or whatever horse shit you think skateboarding is.

Damn, you seem to know very well what skateboarding is and isn't.

Quote from: I sniff my own butthole all the time
2nd vote would be for PJ. sometimes it is a fine command of the english language to say nothing and he extended that to skating. PJ's plan B part is the emperor's new clothes.

BugleBites

« Reply #145 on: April 25, 2021, 11:55:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

It's just better

Having a bad day?  ;D 

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #146 on: April 25, 2021, 12:00:52 PM »
BugleBites is trying to hide the fact he has trouble reading
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

BugleBites

« Reply #147 on: April 25, 2021, 01:09:55 PM »
BugleBites is trying to hide the fact he has trouble reading

I’d say “gnarlier” is synonymous with “harder” in many cases, such as this.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Team -65K
« Reply #148 on: April 25, 2021, 01:40:37 PM »
What's also gnarly (besides carving down) is Greco narrowly misses the slave flash on a tripod which is Photoshopped out of the cover but you can see it in the sequence.

He could easily slammed into it face first, which would be unpleasant at the very least.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #149 on: April 25, 2021, 03:01:30 PM »
wait so that one LA spot from all the vidsi watched growing up with the banks all down the blocks arent the same as the carwash?, some were like half size so like waist high and waxed, people did pivot fakie grinds into the sunse, others were clearly taller banks (beleive Huf fs ollied some bugged out channel bank to bank gap there olderhead pals lmk). i just assumed that was all the same spot and that it was like a city block, each side the banks were different.

to me its crazy like.

free max b

The Huf one (last trick in Real to Reel?) is downtown LA - I think at or by a 76 station.  This is in West Hollywood at Sunset and Fairfax or like a block or so away from Fairfax