Author Topic: Car wash kid from texas  (Read 10289 times)

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Re: Car wash kid from texas
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2021, 12:11:25 PM »
Expand Quote
also cariuma is not that bad, if anything we need more companies trying to make sustainable shoes. just don't buy em if you dont like em.
[close]

I heard of this new shoe company called Cramiuca that are making sustainable shoes.  I don't know anything about them besides that they're affilliated with a religious organization called Aum Shinrikyo or something.  Because we need more shoe companies, I will not concern myself with any further details.
Sick looking forward to the Neon Genesis collab
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2021, 12:28:33 PM »
“Car wash cunt from Texas” also has a nice ring to it.

Was that the name of the King Of the Hill episode where Kahn goes into business with Strickland and becomes Hank’s boss?

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2021, 01:44:23 PM »
that was a quarter-cab at best, with no pop

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2021, 02:17:13 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is gnarly, for sure, but I'm bummed that the carwash went from a sort of mythic battleground of skateboarding to somewhere that nobodies (no disrespect) come to huck in an effort to secure fleeting internet notoriety in under two years. I hope they skate stop it; when someone switch fs flips it in a year no one will remember that the reason anyone ever cared in the first place was because it took Gonz's eyebrow off trying to early grab into it and the appeal will be mostly gone anyway.
[close]

Not to mention...the standard fabricated Berrics back story. In Cariumas, day 3 “no cameras” even though there’s like 5 angles in HD wide lense. And then Midler just happens to “roll up to the spot”. Seems like a scripted event. Just like how all the joes were already in the background of old BATB videos but then they played it like Berra found them out of nowhere based on their submitted videos when in reality they were all being groomed by companies for years prior to that for the most part.

Props to the kid though. I wonder how long it will be before Berra and Danny Masterson are Eiffel Towering his 15 year old ass on a yacht with the SeaCorps while Ethan Suplee films.
[close]

First trick at the Carwash with AirPods?

I think it’s lame how people have to revisit spots all the time. It’s a big planet, find new shit.

Also, that last sentence! At least Ethan Suplee is getting some work.
I'm all for proving ground spots. I love Clipper or Carlsbad clips for example. But, I also love when guys just destroy their hometowns hitting a bunch of lesser seen or unknown spots like Bobby just did in Grand Praire and BOB, or Tom Knox's Atlantic Drift part last year. Both have their place in skating, although, I do find a part of just travelling the world one-upping known spots a bit sterile.

HyperBeam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2021, 03:02:29 PM »
one of the most entertaining things about skateboarding is it's all one big purity discourse, where we list out all the factors that mitigate the purity of the skateboarding in question (berrics, cariuma, alex midler, etc), and then decide accordingly whether it can still be rad or not

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 657
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2021, 05:03:31 PM »
I'm kind of surprised with the comments about just leaving the spot alone cause the Gonz ate shit there.

I always thought it was cool to see people doing different shit at the same spot. I mean the spots are so important for us collectively, it makes sense that people are going to want to skate them and do new shit at these spots.

I feel like I'm often a skate tourist as I always want to physically experience the famous spots I've seen in videos and photos my whole life. Shit, not the coolest Vancouver spot/trick, but I skated past the spot where Haslam does the front board to flip out on that up rail. It was cool to see in person.

It seems the don't one up people comments come out when the wrong dudes do new shit on a famous spot (Carlos Ruiz). This kid, despite his no-pop half-cab and the Berrics social media fake back story bullshit, made it into the history books with this trick. It is ugly as all hell and the presentation was disgusting, but he did a trick at an infamously gnarly spot.

Shit, I don't mind the whole make a name for yourself via El Toro/Car Wash thing. It is going to bring up some dudes who just kill it that might not have gotten attention, but the short cut will also be used by some kooky dudes that are just going for broke/internet fame.

A former AZ kid who tried to make a name for himself at El Toro (sadly things didn't go well for Dilbert Robert).

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

conqueso

« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2021, 05:11:51 PM »
lol.....perhaps one of the worst tricks ever done. up there with the back lip down el toro & carlos ruiz's sw 5050. kid ruined his career before it even started.

Highonangeldust

• Rep: 623
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2021, 05:26:40 PM »
Well that was underwhelming and gross.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2021, 06:10:11 PM »
I'm kind of surprised with the comments about just leaving the spot alone cause the Gonz ate shit there.

I always thought it was cool to see people doing different shit at the same spot. I mean the spots are so important for us collectively, it makes sense that people are going to want to skate them and do new shit at these spots.

I feel like I'm often a skate tourist as I always want to physically experience the famous spots I've seen in videos and photos my whole life. Shit, not the coolest Vancouver spot/trick, but I skated past the spot where Haslam does the front board to flip out on that up rail. It was cool to see in person.

It seems the don't one up people comments come out when the wrong dudes do new shit on a famous spot (Carlos Ruiz). This kid, despite his no-pop half-cab and the Berrics social media fake back story bullshit, made it into the history books with this trick. It is ugly as all hell and the presentation was disgusting, but he did a trick at an infamously gnarly spot.

Shit, I don't mind the whole make a name for yourself via El Toro/Car Wash thing. It is going to bring up some dudes who just kill it that might not have gotten attention, but the short cut will also be used by some kooky dudes that are just going for broke/internet fame.

A former AZ kid who tried to make a name for himself at El Toro (sadly things didn't go well for Dilbert Robert).

I said people would forget that the spot was only interesting in the first place because Gonz ate shit there, not that it should be left alone for that reason. I meant something much closer to: it should be left alone because it would get blown out and go from extremely gnarly with an interesting history to just some place where people seeking internet fame go to try to get an nbd. I’m sticking by that because seeing tricks at the same spots over and over again gets old real fast. The car wash is headed in that direction, so it would be cooler if it were known for a handful of things instead of being just another blown out spot that used to be regarded as gnarly.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2021, 06:20:31 PM »
I stopped watching the Disney channel with my kid for a minute to watch this and I regret it.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2021, 09:18:23 PM »

i went to high school there.

a kid i knew tried to ollie it, and kicked out half way, landing on the last 5 stairs. dudes ankles were the size of watermelons, it was gnarly.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2021, 09:22:53 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

a kid i knew tried to ollie it, and kicked out half way, landing on the last 5 stairs. dudes ankles were the size of watermelons, it was gnarly.

Aloha fellow/former(?) 949-er.  I used to spend a lot of time at the pool there for club teams.   Was that skate shop up the street any good?   It was like one of the 2 or 3 that I had ever been in at that age

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -601
  • who knows
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2021, 09:33:20 PM »
everything about that trick is so unfortunate
where is home?

HeapsCool

• Rep: -172
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #73 on: April 14, 2021, 05:54:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I said people would forget that the spot was only interesting in the first place because Gonz ate shit there, not that it should be left alone for that reason. I meant something much closer to: it should be left alone because it would get blown out and go from extremely gnarly with an interesting history to just some place where people seeking internet fame go to try to get an nbd. I’m sticking by that because seeing tricks at the same spots over and over again gets old real fast. The car wash is headed in that direction, so it would be cooler if it were known for a handful of things instead of being just another blown out spot that used to be regarded as gnarly.

That’s how skateboarding works, idiot. It’s called progression. The most creative forge the way, then guys in Cariumas water it down until Jack Ogrady releases his next part.

Also why is Cariuma the devil while Phil Knight pay no income tax? You guys racist against Brazil or something?

NE SEctor

• Rep: -22
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2021, 06:06:28 AM »
Kids so young, and did that sooo just ok that he probably would have got more props if he just posted it straight to instagram and moved on with his life. The berrics made this waaay worse than what it could have been

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2021, 06:30:42 AM »
The Car Wash Kid... its gotta ring to it.

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1029
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2021, 06:35:44 AM »
CaR_WaSh_KiD_FRoM_TeXaS

straight fucking edge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -169
« Reply #77 on: April 14, 2021, 06:36:09 AM »
Imagine doing a trick "for Midler"

after seeing this, i can't not think about this immediatley upon hearing the name alex midler

i don't want to link to the channel because is promotes athiesm.

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -457
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #78 on: April 14, 2021, 07:37:51 AM »

That’s how skateboarding works, idiot. It’s called progression. The most creative forge the way, then guys in Cariumas water it down until Jack Ogrady releases his next part.

Also why is Cariuma the devil while Phil Knight pay no income tax? You guys racist against Brazil or something?
because cariuma is being backed by the corniest shit in skateboarding and is backing the corniest skaters in skateboarding.

I can totally see this kid coming back to try a non popped fakie bigspin 90 degrees into this thing

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 353
« Reply #79 on: April 14, 2021, 07:53:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Aloha fellow/former(?) 949-er.  I used to spend a lot of time at the pool there for club teams.   Was that skate shop up the street any good?   It was like one of the 2 or 3 that I had ever been in at that age

former indeed!

there were a few decent shops. so cal skate and focus were the two i went to. way back in the day there was a 9star in mission viejo and a random shop called LS&S in aliso.

focus and so cal skate are both great.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: April 14, 2021, 08:59:18 AM »

Come on, it's not like the carwash is the sombrero or Third and Army, where you can see real ingenuity at work. Once a spot like that has logged a few tricks, there's practically nowhere left to go with it and the next obstacle awaits.  It will likely never be "creative" and won't be "progressive" after even two hard tricks get filmed there; it's literally jumping off of a roof into a scary, steep concrete retaining wall.  It's cool up to a point, but it reaches diminishing returns very quickly and is ultimately knuckle dragger stunt skating within the broader scope of things.   

Others have said what's wrong with Caruima, dumdum, and it has nothing to do with Brazil.

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #81 on: April 14, 2021, 10:55:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Come on, it's not like the carwash is the sombrero or Third and Army, where you can see real ingenuity at work. Once a spot like that has logged a few tricks, there's practically nowhere left to go with it and the next obstacle awaits.  It will likely never be "creative" and won't be "progressive" after even two hard tricks get filmed there; it's literally jumping off of a roof into a scary, steep concrete retaining wall.  It's cool up to a point, but it reaches diminishing returns very quickly and is ultimately knuckle dragger stunt skating within the broader scope of things.   

Others have said what's wrong with Caruima, dumdum, and it has nothing to do with Brazil.
So fucking what.  A lot of us would rather see super heavy NBDs at insane spots than "progression" on small ledges.

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #82 on: April 14, 2021, 11:23:37 AM »
A 5 minute documentary style berries video for 1 clip with ghost pop, self-cheer, cariumas & berries. Foul.
this made me really LOL

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #83 on: April 14, 2021, 11:25:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
So fucking what.  A lot of us would rather see super heavy NBDs at insane spots than "progression" on small ledges.

Jesus, read the post I was replying to, that's the guy who was saying this uninspired spectacle was somehow "creative" and "progressive"; I was merely observing that skating off a roof ultimately comes down to skating off a roof.  If those types of stuntman antics are what you prefer in skateboarding, shalom, it takes all kinds. Personally, I like scary stunt skating just fine when it's done interestingly, but still think watching people hurl themselves down stairs or gaps or massive handrails isn't generally that interesting over the long term. And I don't give a shit about "progression," whatever that might mean by now, nearly as much as I do about seeing a variety of unfamiliar spots, or seeing familiar spots skated in unfamiliar or novel ways. 

tl;dr: Alex Midler type hammers are boring/forgettable, whereas a hammers-free type of dude like Max Palmer is interesting/memorable.  I actually forgot that Midler 360-ed the carwash until this video popped up and that was only a few months ago. 

jorge

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #84 on: April 14, 2021, 12:24:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

Jesus, read the post I was replying to, that's the guy who was saying this uninspired spectacle was somehow "creative" and "progressive"; I was merely observing that skating off a roof ultimately comes down to skating off a roof.  If those types of stuntman antics are what you prefer in skateboarding, shalom, it takes all kinds. Personally, I like scary stunt skating just fine when it's done interestingly, but still think watching people hurl themselves down stairs or gaps or massive handrails isn't generally that interesting over the long term. And I don't give a shit about "progression," whatever that might mean by now, nearly as much as I do about seeing a variety of unfamiliar spots, or seeing familiar spots skated in unfamiliar or novel ways. 

tl;dr: Alex Midler type hammers are boring/forgettable, whereas a hammers-free type of dude like Max Palmer is interesting/memorable.  I actually forgot that Midler 360-ed the carwash until this video popped up and that was only a few months ago.
Doing something that has never been done on a heavy spot that anyone could have skated for decades is as progressive as swishy pant ledge tech NBDs, all day.  And yes, Max Palmer is absolutely memorable, but lets not pretend he is the standard bearer for progression, as no one else really skates like him.  Anyway, this unknown 15 year old is fucking rad, berrics or not.  And I don't know about "hammers" being boring or forgettable, everyone remembers most of the tricks done here/Wallenberg/Love/etc.

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: April 14, 2021, 01:17:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Doing something that has never been done on a heavy spot that anyone could have skated for decades is as progressive as swishy pant ledge tech NBDs, all day.  And yes, Max Palmer is absolutely memorable, but lets not pretend he is the standard bearer for progression, as no one else really skates like him.  Anyway, this unknown 15 year old is fucking rad, berrics or not.  And I don't know about "hammers" being boring or forgettable, everyone remembers most of the tricks done here/Wallenberg/Love/etc.

Just to test your theory, who besides Cardiel, Greco, Milton, Midler, and the Texan child has done tricks at the carwash?

Also, just to clear things up:

And I don't give a shit about "progression," whatever that might mean by now, nearly as much as I do about seeing a variety of unfamiliar spots, or seeing familiar spots skated in unfamiliar or novel ways.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 01:32:54 PM by Mr. Stinky »

BigPants

• Rep: 2
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2021, 02:12:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Just to test your theory, who besides Cardiel, Greco, Milton, Midler, and the Texan child has done tricks at the carwash?

Also, just to clear things up:

Expand Quote

And I don't give a shit about "progression," whatever that might mean by now, nearly as much as I do about seeing a variety of unfamiliar spots, or seeing familiar spots skated in unfamiliar or novel ways.

[close]

chuck Core did a backside 180 into it

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2021, 02:22:06 PM »
Chuck Core is the new MNFTB
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

professional

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2021, 02:26:45 PM »
also cariuma is not that bad, if anything we need more companies trying to make sustainable shoes. just don't buy em if you dont like em.

it‘s 2021 and this is late stage capitalism. ain‘t shit ‘sustainable‘ my dude, especially not vulcanized shoes made in the Global South.

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 657
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2021, 03:31:48 PM »

Wasn't there one other ollie into this? I thought someone posted the late-90s video part that had a car wash ollie a few weeks ago.

Also, has anyone else tried yelling, "For Midler!" before trying a trick? I tried it out yesterday and I grinded the shit out of this little ledge downtown. There might be something to this pre-trick ritual.

Finally, I re-watched the video and the stupid title card says, "He came without a filmer on the third day"... the angles are exactly the same as they were every other day. He was cellphone filmed the entire time not just the last day. Also, I like how they muted the colors for the first few tries and then as soon as this kid sees Midler "for the first time" its like a fucking Claritin D commercial and all the colors pop.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 03:53:24 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?