Author Topic: Car wash kid from texas  (Read 10255 times)

jakeumms

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1296
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
Re: Car wash kid from texas
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2021, 06:04:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That’s how skateboarding works, idiot. It’s called progression. The most creative forge the way, then guys in Cariumas water it down until Jack Ogrady releases his next part.

Also why is Cariuma the devil while Phil Knight pay no income tax? You guys racist against Brazil or something?
[close]

Come on, it's not like the carwash is the sombrero or Third and Army, where you can see real ingenuity at work. Once a spot like that has logged a few tricks, there's practically nowhere left to go with it and the next obstacle awaits.  It will likely never be "creative" and won't be "progressive" after even two hard tricks get filmed there; it's literally jumping off of a roof into a scary, steep concrete retaining wall.  It's cool up to a point, but it reaches diminishing returns very quickly and is ultimately knuckle dragger stunt skating within the broader scope of things.   

Others have said what's wrong with Caruima, dumdum, and it has nothing to do with Brazil.
[close]
So fucking what.  A lot of us would rather see super heavy NBDs at insane spots than "progression" on small ledges.
[close]

Jesus, read the post I was replying to, that's the guy who was saying this uninspired spectacle was somehow "creative" and "progressive"; I was merely observing that skating off a roof ultimately comes down to skating off a roof.  If those types of stuntman antics are what you prefer in skateboarding, shalom, it takes all kinds. Personally, I like scary stunt skating just fine when it's done interestingly, but still think watching people hurl themselves down stairs or gaps or massive handrails isn't generally that interesting over the long term. And I don't give a shit about "progression," whatever that might mean by now, nearly as much as I do about seeing a variety of unfamiliar spots, or seeing familiar spots skated in unfamiliar or novel ways. 

tl;dr: Alex Midler type hammers are boring/forgettable, whereas a hammers-free type of dude like Max Palmer is interesting/memorable.  I actually forgot that Midler 360-ed the carwash until this video popped up and that was only a few months ago.
[close]
Doing something that has never been done on a heavy spot that anyone could have skated for decades is as progressive as swishy pant ledge tech NBDs, all day.  And yes, Max Palmer is absolutely memorable, but lets not pretend he is the standard bearer for progression, as no one else really skates like him.  Anyway, this unknown 15 year old is fucking rad, berrics or not.  And I don't know about "hammers" being boring or forgettable, everyone remembers most of the tricks done here/Wallenberg/Love/etc.
[close]

Just to test your theory, who besides Cardiel, Greco, Milton, Midler, and the Texan child has done tricks at the carwash?

Also, just to clear things up:

Expand Quote

And I don't give a shit about "progression," whatever that might mean by now, nearly as much as I do about seeing a variety of unfamiliar spots, or seeing familiar spots skated in unfamiliar or novel ways.

[close]
[close]

chuck Core did a backside 180 into it

Pee Wee Monkress is well bummed
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

HeapsCool

• Rep: -173
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2021, 07:43:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That’s how skateboarding works, idiot. It’s called progression. The most creative forge the way, then guys in Cariumas water it down until Jack Ogrady releases his next part.

Also why is Cariuma the devil while Phil Knight pay no income tax? You guys racist against Brazil or something?
[close]

Come on, it's not like the carwash is the sombrero or Third and Army, where you can see real ingenuity at work. Once a spot like that has logged a few tricks, there's practically nowhere left to go with it and the next obstacle awaits.  It will likely never be "creative" and won't be "progressive" after even two hard tricks get filmed there; it's literally jumping off of a roof into a scary, steep concrete retaining wall.  It's cool up to a point, but it reaches diminishing returns very quickly and is ultimately knuckle dragger stunt skating within the broader scope of things.   

Others have said what's wrong with Caruima, dumdum, and it has nothing to do with Brazil.
[close]
So fucking what.  A lot of us would rather see super heavy NBDs at insane spots than "progression" on small ledges.
[close]

Jesus, read the post I was replying to, that's the guy who was saying this uninspired spectacle was somehow "creative" and "progressive"; I was merely observing that skating off a roof ultimately comes down to skating off a roof.  If those types of stuntman antics are what you prefer in skateboarding, shalom, it takes all kinds. Personally, I like scary stunt skating just fine when it's done interestingly, but still think watching people hurl themselves down stairs or gaps or massive handrails isn't generally that interesting over the long term. And I don't give a shit about "progression," whatever that might mean by now, nearly as much as I do about seeing a variety of unfamiliar spots, or seeing familiar spots skated in unfamiliar or novel ways. 

tl;dr: Alex Midler type hammers are boring/forgettable, whereas a hammers-free type of dude like Max Palmer is interesting/memorable.  I actually forgot that Midler 360-ed the carwash until this video popped up and that was only a few months ago.

At one point the only people to hit this spot were Gonz and Cardiel. Then Greco. Pretty creative crew. Then no one for years until the current crop rediscovered it. My initial point still stands.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2021, 08:51:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

At one point the only people to hit this spot were Gonz and Cardiel. Then Greco. Pretty creative crew. Then no one for years until the current crop rediscovered it. My initial point still stands.

Forgetting Pee Wee from Dogtown AGAIN and the post right about mentioned him

conqueso

« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2021, 08:52:17 PM »
chuck core - backside 180

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2021, 09:16:47 PM »
why did they show this kid crying at the end?? who in the berries editing department is that depraved that they needed to take this kid that low? i would love to know what greco thinks about this. bet he's un-framing his leather jacket if he sees this

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -598
  • who knows
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2021, 09:24:00 PM »
https://youtu.be/epOFy7H55_c
Gave her the old Jaws treatment (bring Dad/cry).

wow this is even more unfortunate than i thought.  i went back to analyze the make's ghost pop and i watched a little longer...the kid is really crying.

this is the most unfortunate clip of all time.  the only redeeming factor is that Midler must be a pretty nice dude to pretend like gave a shit about that trick at all....the look on his face when the kid hugs him crying is hysterical. 
where is home?

YungJugg

• Rep: 229
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2021, 09:28:41 PM »
chuck core - backside 180

chuck core sounds like one of the fake names from ken griffey jr.’s winning run

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 421
« Reply #97 on: April 14, 2021, 09:33:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Doing something that has never been done on a heavy spot that anyone could have skated for decades is as progressive as swishy pant ledge tech NBDs, all day.  And yes, Max Palmer is absolutely memorable, but lets not pretend he is the standard bearer for progression, as no one else really skates like him.  Anyway, this unknown 15 year old is fucking rad, berrics or not.  And I don't know about "hammers" being boring or forgettable, everyone remembers most of the tricks done here/Wallenberg/Love/etc.
[close]

Just to test your theory, who besides Cardiel, Greco, Milton, Midler, and the Texan child has done tricks at the carwash?

Expand Quote

And I don't give a shit about "progression," whatever that might mean by now, nearly as much as I do about seeing a variety of unfamiliar spots, or seeing familiar spots skated in unfamiliar or novel ways.

[close]

You better be putting some goddamn respect to Peewee's hallowed name sir.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #98 on: April 14, 2021, 09:41:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

And not one person here remembers poor Squints.

offkilter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
« Reply #99 on: April 14, 2021, 10:17:21 PM »
He rode off it fakie and then cried

Ingenting Polisen

• Rep: 0
    • https://imgur.com/a/ErQuTFP avatar image
« Reply #100 on: April 15, 2021, 12:04:44 AM »

this is the most unfortunate clip of all time.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 421
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2021, 12:33:35 AM »

Washed before even getting started?

Seriously though, I wish the kid all the best. What the fuck did I know at 15. Also wish I'd allowed myself to cry more often (if maybe not for Midler).

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #102 on: April 15, 2021, 01:31:34 AM »
How do we get Skate and Emote shirts made in the SaD font?

Big_Dingus

• Rep: 5
« Reply #103 on: April 15, 2021, 01:52:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

And not one person here remembers poor Squints.

I do! Boneless into the carwash. Albuquerque ripper. He was on creature for a bit, then seemed like he got dropped. I wonder what happened.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 472
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2021, 05:02:41 AM »
If his next video part isn't called "Crying for Midler" then I'll be very disappointed
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

nickpaolucci

« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2021, 06:14:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

chuck Core did a backside 180 into it

riding fakie down that thing is no joke, esp. for 2000. all hail CC the legend

dannyprovolone

« Reply #106 on: April 15, 2021, 07:11:30 AM »
respect to chuck core. a real legend.

Lurking for the Weekend

• Rep: 0
« Reply #107 on: April 15, 2021, 12:10:40 PM »

Good to see Chaz Core finally getting some acknowledgment.

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
« Reply #108 on: April 15, 2021, 07:26:07 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Seriously though, I wish the kid all the best. What the fuck did I know at 15. Also wish I'd allowed myself to cry more often (if maybe not for Midler).

Fully agree.
The stigma about expressing your emotions as they come is stupid. And dangerous. Yeah, everybody's a tough cool guy all the time, but on the inside everything's crumbling down little by little, and at some point it's too late.
If you're clowning the kid for crying (neither did i watch the video, nor am i a fan of Midler), yet lamented on the tragic losses of Raemers or Gartland, for example, well, just take a moment of reflection.

And stepping to a spot that you know put out Milton is not simply anecdotal.

TheDraught

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -65241
  • Team -65K
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #109 on: April 16, 2021, 04:57:47 AM »
I'm stoked for the kid.

Miltons kickflip was insane but I would also like to see a regular skater kickflip into it, land at a slight angle then carve down, if that's even possible.

I would love to see somebody backside flip or switch backside flip into it.

If the bank was on the other side I bet Bastien could have cab flipped into it in his prime.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -598
  • who knows
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2021, 08:15:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Fully agree.
The stigma about expressing your emotions as they come is stupid. And dangerous. Yeah, everybody's a tough cool guy all the time, but on the inside everything's crumbling down little by little, and at some point it's too late.
If you're clowning the kid for crying (neither did i watch the video, nor am i a fan of Midler), yet lamented on the tragic losses of Raemers or Gartland, for example, well, just take a moment of reflection.

crying because your worldview is self-centered to the point you can't see outside of your accomplishments and place them into perspective is not remotely the same as dealing with clinical depression and struggles that come with it and the effort it takes to overcome them.

sorry if we don't see a kid getting overly emotional over how great he is in the same category as Ben Raemers dealing with his depression
where is home?

Vitriol

• Rep: 36
« Reply #111 on: April 16, 2021, 05:20:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Fully agree.

[close]

crying because your worldview is self-centered to the point you can't see outside of your accomplishments and place them into perspective is not remotely the same as dealing with clinical depression and struggles that come with it and the effort it takes to overcome them.

sorry if we don't see a kid getting overly emotional over how great he is in the same category as Ben Raemers dealing with his depression

You're right, it's of course not in the same category. That's not what I was trying to say, and that's why i said little by little. An accumulation of experiences. I have no clue from where other people's depressions might emerge, i am not even sure where mine comes from. I just think there is some kind of link there, and a little acceptance would be nice, even if not as cool.
Ok, the first thing i thought was "damn he didn't pop!", and then i thought that i wouldn't have popped any higher and i skate mainly small stuff these days.
In the end, he's still a kid (maybe also did he cry from the relief of the tension? i don't know), and i'm aging. And i won't pretend that i understand or appreciate seeing the new generations being self-centered so much.

There are many sides to everything, and i also acknowledge that reading some funny trash talk here on slap makes my days better in the end.

spanyard

• Rep: 77
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #112 on: April 16, 2021, 05:41:17 PM »
Serious question: is there history/footage of people skating it like a regular bank spot (ride up - trick - ride down)? I feel like I've seen clips of Gonz maybe skating it that way?

dallou

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 151
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #113 on: April 17, 2021, 04:23:57 AM »
cool guy convention over here

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #114 on: April 17, 2021, 06:34:39 AM »
Berries, Care i uma, Midler...  a trifecta/view that could never be me.

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1
« Reply #115 on: April 17, 2021, 07:51:44 AM »
Serious question: is there history/footage of people skating it like a regular bank spot (ride up - trick - ride down)? I feel like I've seen clips of Gonz maybe skating it that way?
I think I remember this but also werent there smaller banks on the side that were grindable or was that another car wash spot?
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

roba

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 755
« Reply #116 on: April 17, 2021, 08:20:54 AM »
I can totally see this kid coming back to try a non popped fakie bigspin 90 degrees into this thing

don’t act like that wouldn’t be impressive as fuck
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

NoComply180

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -459
  • Objectivity police
« Reply #117 on: April 17, 2021, 08:28:42 AM »
Expand Quote
I can totally see this kid coming back to try a non popped fakie bigspin 90 degrees into this thing
[close]

don’t act like that wouldn’t be impressive as fuck
i actually really hope this happens because it would simultaneously be so wack and also undeniably risky.

Also Jesus he’s a 15 year old skate rat who did a trick at an iconic gnarly spot while someone who is probably his favorite pro watched, I think many teenage skaters would also cry in this situation. Nothing to do with his world view lmao

Him ah fall off building an bumboclot him legs

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #118 on: April 17, 2021, 09:32:55 AM »
I'd be crying if I bailed a trick on that thing and got to walk away with no injuries. Give the kid a break. When I was 15 most kids were still hyping themselves up to hit an 8 stair.

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #119 on: April 17, 2021, 02:04:34 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think I remember this but also werent there smaller banks on the side that were grindable or was that another car wash spot?

I haven't been to LA in forever, but I did skate another car wash spot (believe it's called Downtown Car Wash, rather than Sunset Car Wash). It has smaller grindable banks along the sidewalk plus a little hip thing over a pillar which I believe Gonz has footage on.