Author Topic: Orlando, FL  (Read 1439 times)

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
Orlando, FL
« on: April 17, 2021, 07:52:14 AM »
Looking for spots (Curbs, parking garages, mannys, ledges). And any nice DIY spots would also be great (I'll keep the location unspoken of if need be).

What's the general outlook of skate culture in the area? Also if anyone has any good recommendations for stuff outside of skateboarding to check out I'd love those as well.

Plus Skateshop will definitely be visited as well.

Thanks pals, shalom.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 12:58:23 PM by ihatejulio »

donkey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -65
  • donk
Re: Orlando, FL
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 08:37:40 AM »
orlando is great for street skating! i live in cocoa beach which is just an hour east but always come to orlando to go skate. orlando skate park is kinda a weird vibe because there are a lot of tryhards but majority of the people there are friendly (lots of rollerbladers tho)

the curb spots in orlando are somewhat sparce. ill give you a special spot tho, look up the Gai Consultants building and go into their parking garage and you'll find a cool curb on a bank into a downhill. hard to skate but has a ton of potential.

as for spots just look up @orlandoskatespots on instagram, as there are too many to say on here. the district crew just built a jersey barrier ramp at candyland skatepark in longwood if you want to visit there.

the downtown area has a few nice spots to cruise and hit, you just got to go around the city and keep your eyes open and you'll see them.

good luck!

EDIT: forgot to mention my favorite restaurant is Black Bean cafe off of Colonial dr. best cubans in the area IMO

twic3

• Rep: 14
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 09:07:17 AM »
orlando is great for street skating! i live in cocoa beach which is just an hour east but always come to orlando to go skate. orlando skate park is kinda a weird vibe because there are a lot of tryhards but majority of the people there are friendly (lots of rollerbladers tho)

Lol I'm glad im not the only one who thinks OSP is full of tryhards. We have a shit load of team pain parks outside of Orlando, most of the locals at those parks are pretty welcoming and dont be afraid to start a conversation with any of them.

UCF is nice to skate around if you can get over there and I also 2nd black bean cafe for a good cuban. We have alot of Vietnamese restaurants as well if youre into pho and bahn mi. Alot of breweries as well. Disney springs is fun to walk around, International Drive has alot of stuff but it a tourist trap and things get pricey there...

Our Downtown is like 90% bars and clubs, but theres something for everyone whether you want a nice quite dive bar or somewhere super loud. Tanqueray is where I usually go first when im out.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 11:38:54 AM »

the curb spots in orlando are somewhat sparce. ill give you a special spot tho, look up the Gai Consultants building and go into their parking garage and you'll find a cool curb on a bank into a downhill. hard to skate but has a ton of potential.

as for spots just look up @orlandoskatespots on instagram, as there are too many to say on here. the district crew just built a jersey barrier ramp at candyland skatepark in longwood if you want to visit there.

the downtown area has a few nice spots to cruise and hit, you just got to go around the city and keep your eyes open and you'll see them.

good luck!

EDIT: forgot to mention my favorite restaurant is Black Bean cafe off of Colonial dr. best cubans in the area IMO

@donkey
https://www.instagram.com/p/CI_0SPrFuYN/

Is this the spot you are talking about? Looks fun, thanks for linking me to that IG page it's going to be a great help. And thanks for the info on Orlando park, I'll keep that in mind. I prefer street over everything anyway. Downtown will be fun to explore for sure.  And big ups on mentioning that Cuban spot, I passed by there last week and it seemed like a hot spot. So far I have explored a bit of the Mills area and loved it.

Lol I'm glad im not the only one who thinks OSP is full of tryhards. We have a shit load of team pain parks outside of Orlando, most of the locals at those parks are pretty welcoming and dont be afraid to start a conversation with any of them.

UCF is nice to skate around if you can get over there and I also 2nd black bean cafe for a good cuban. We have alot of Vietnamese restaurants as well if youre into pho and bahn mi. Alot of breweries as well. Disney springs is fun to walk around, International Drive has alot of stuff but it a tourist trap and things get pricey there...

Our Downtown is like 90% bars and clubs, but theres something for everyone whether you want a nice quite dive bar or somewhere super loud. Tanqueray is where I usually go first when im out.

@twic3

Awesome thanks for mentioning those team pain parks, what are some close ones in relation to east Orlando? I actually live really near UCF and that is my best bet for skating every day as it is a little bit of a trek to get to downtown. What's a good brewery to visit? I have actually heard about Tanqueray funny enough from multiple people so I definitely will visit there very soon.

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 08:20:29 PM »
Just moved away after 7 years so this was a good chance to reflect. sorry for the incoming long post!

Garage I at UCF is my favorite curb in east Orlando. Spent hundreds of hours in there. super fun bump in there as well.

Stardust Video is my favorite coffee shop and overrall best place to lurk in the city in my unhumble opinion, grab a drink and an outside table and watch the scene unfold. also spent hundreds of hours here too, but usually just thinking about life and getting stoked. food surprisingly consistently great. employees can be icey but its part of the charm. also good for early drinks, they have a full bar. every day you will see a cross section of orlando's weirdest but also most interesting and unpretentious people of all ages (in the mornings, a couple of dudes well into their 70s are usually hanging). i moved into an apartment in that area just to be within skating distance from the 'dust. i miss it dearly.

as far as bars go, i really enjoyed dirty laundry and lil indies, the bars attached to Wills pub. Wills is sick too. I'll take those over any new trendy spot. Guesthouse is a good hang right up the street, although pretty trendy.  Tanquerays downtown is so sick too, but downtown for me was always kinda too crazy, and bars off of Mills Ave (like Wills) are a little quieter.

My favorite beer spot in Orlando however is Nora's, bar none. I'll say no more. Tons of cool bars near to that off viriginia Dr, you can get totally tanked just starting at lake ivanhoe and walking down Virginia towards mills and stopping at bars on the way.

black bean deli is an absolute must. vegetarian platter was a weekly operation.

if you're into electronic music or hip hop, go say whats up to Cliff and Jeff down at Remix record shop off mills. best dollar bins in Central florida for that music.

plus saved orlando for me. Keith will make you feel welcome. best dude, best shop.

if you want to get stoked on what has been done in Orlando peep the dice of life crew:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIWm4FCTnNk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LqmEXjG4c4

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 11:06:46 PM »
Just moved away after 7 years so this was a good chance to reflect. sorry for the incoming long post!

Garage I at UCF is my favorite curb in east Orlando. Spent hundreds of hours in there. super fun bump in there as well.

Stardust Video is my favorite coffee shop and overrall best place to lurk in the city in my unhumble opinion, grab a drink and an outside table and watch the scene unfold. also spent hundreds of hours here too, but usually just thinking about life and getting stoked. food surprisingly consistently great. employees can be icey but its part of the charm. also good for early drinks, they have a full bar. every day you will see a cross section of orlando's weirdest but also most interesting and unpretentious people of all ages (in the mornings, a couple of dudes well into their 70s are usually hanging). i moved into an apartment in that area just to be within skating distance from the 'dust. i miss it dearly.

as far as bars go, i really enjoyed dirty laundry and lil indies, the bars attached to Wills pub. Wills is sick too. I'll take those over any new trendy spot. Guesthouse is a good hang right up the street, although pretty trendy.  Tanquerays downtown is so sick too, but downtown for me was always kinda too crazy, and bars off of Mills Ave (like Wills) are a little quieter.

My favorite beer spot in Orlando however is Nora's, bar none. I'll say no more. Tons of cool bars near to that off viriginia Dr, you can get totally tanked just starting at lake ivanhoe and walking down Virginia towards mills and stopping at bars on the way.

if you're into electronic music or hip hop, go say whats up to Cliff and Jeff down at Remix record shop off mills. best dollar bins in Central florida for that music.

plus saved orlando for me. Keith will make you feel welcome. best dude, best shop.

if you want to get stoked on what has been done in Orlando peep the dice of life crew:

@CossRooper

A lifetime of gnars for you for this post my friend, thanks a whole ton. So well detailed and exactly what I was looking for. I bookmarked every place you mentioned and plan on visiting all of them. Will report back soon. Thanks again bud!  :)

donkey

• donk
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2021, 08:30:36 AM »

the dice of life crew has to be one of my favorites out of of Florida for real. there is a lot of skateboarding that happens in Orlando but none of it has even got close to topping DOL. their influence reaches far and will stay for long after they’re gone. all the dudes involved in it are solid as hell.

they were supposed to have a premiere right as covid happened which was such a bummer.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2021, 06:03:16 AM »
Just moved to satellite beach after loving fun in pcola forever. Love the area so far, know The Plus guys from ft walton so excited to meet up with some of the Orlando heads when I can. If anyone has any good info/recommendations for the satellite beach/cocoa beach scene I’d love to hear :)

donkey

• donk
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2021, 06:28:49 AM »
Just moved to satellite beach after loving fun in pcola forever. Love the area so far, know The Plus guys from ft walton so excited to meet up with some of the Orlando heads when I can. If anyone has any good info/recommendations for the satellite beach/cocoa beach scene I’d love to hear :)

yoooo welcome to the area! satellite beach skatepark is a great local but can get a little crowded with kids sometimes but not a big deal. cocoa beach skatepark is 20 minutes away and is my local, usually you can find me there on any given afternoon of the week. street spots are sparse in this area but theres a few good ones. street skating in orlando is a fun saturday/sunday activity for me but unfortunately it just got super hot out so idk how much im gonna be going over there this summer

sketchyrider

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2021, 07:30:32 AM »

donkey's post sums it up pretty well. all the parks in the area can be pretty fun, even the metal pre-fab one in palm bay. satellite skatepark and west melbourne have been pretty packed since the pandemic, but i think things might be calming down a little. the area isn't really known for its street spots, i know of a couple ditches, and i've seen clips of a couple spots but don't know where they are. would love to hear about any spots actually, can share the few i know.

JamesFardy

• Rep: 65
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 06:16:39 AM »
Thank you both for responding! Yeah I’m excited to be here and hopefully somehow we can skate together. I’m not too concerned with street spots being in my 30s now with my own little family. But skateboarding parks is a good way to unwind and I wouldn’t mind getting closer to some sort of “scene” here. If not I’ll be alright. If either of you want you can message me if you wanted to get up and skate.

donkey

• donk
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 06:54:28 AM »
Thank you both for responding! Yeah I’m excited to be here and hopefully somehow we can skate together. I’m not too concerned with street spots being in my 30s now with my own little family. But skateboarding parks is a good way to unwind and I wouldn’t mind getting closer to some sort of “scene” here. If not I’ll be alright. If either of you want you can message me if you wanted to get up and skate.
yeah for sure! my instagram is @pailpimp if u wanna connect with me there or if u dont do instagram ill dm u my #

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2021, 10:09:59 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

@CossRooper

A lifetime of gnars for you for this post my friend, thanks a whole ton. So well detailed and exactly what I was looking for. I bookmarked every place you mentioned and plan on visiting all of them. Will report back soon. Thanks again bud!  :)

hell yeah dude, happy to share. if ya get a UCF clip send em my way! here's one from probably like 11pm in garage I one night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caJUtLCVGFk

the dice of life crew has to be one of my favorites out of of Florida for real. there is a lot of skateboarding that happens in Orlando but none of it has even got close to topping DOL. their influence reaches far and will stay for long after they’re gone. all the dudes involved in it are solid as hell.

they were supposed to have a premiere right as covid happened which was such a bummer.

1000% agree. never met any of the dudes but stoked to hear they're good humans.

man i was so, so bummed at the shitty timing of that premiere. that video turned out so good, willie and bens parts are unreal and deserved to be watched in a room full of people.

skatesum609

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Rep: 94
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2021, 10:39:22 AM »
Heading to Orlando for a work expo at the end of March. Any recommendations for a good early morning park or street spots? Any shops to check out close by? I’m going to be staying at the Marriott world center. Gonna take the fam to Disney as well.

Cant Fakie Flip

• Rep: 0
Orlando, FL
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2022, 12:12:56 PM »
So I'm going to Orlando for a week with some homies, specifically the Winter Garden area.

Does anyone here know any spots I can sesh in that area? looking for wallrides, wallies, ledges, manny pads, slappies, chill street spots. All of my searches for spots so far ended in some heavy stuff, handrails, gaps, etc. not looking to go hucking myself down anything.

Also, if anyone knows any non-skate things to do in that area or we'd be open to renting a car or something if there's any must-do things in Florida in general.