Author Topic: The Rails Thread  (Read 15081 times)

GBLange

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
Re: The Rails Thread
« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2021, 09:46:45 PM »
Riff Raff rails has 4 holes as well.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2021, 10:09:30 PM »

Fhk

« Reply #92 on: October 26, 2021, 04:40:36 PM »
I had a deck on ice that I already put rails on, I took them off to give to someone that wanted to try them. Now It's time to skate it and I'm left with empty screw holes. I don't know if I can skate it that way without having a panic attack. What the fuck do you do in this situation?

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #93 on: October 26, 2021, 04:59:31 PM »
I had a deck on ice that I already put rails on, I took them off to give to someone that wanted to try them. Now It's time to skate it and I'm left with empty screw holes. I don't know if I can skate it that way without having a panic attack. What the fuck do you do in this situation?
drill even more holes in it so it's guaranteed to break and you look tough.

Fhk

« Reply #94 on: October 26, 2021, 05:20:54 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
drill even more holes in it so it's guaranteed to break and you look tough.
Good idea but I only skate by myself so nobody will think I'm tough.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
« Reply #95 on: October 26, 2021, 05:51:27 PM »
Just put some Rib-Bones on a new deck. The holes are just big enough for the screw so I would clean them out with a file or razor blade. The screws are also on the long side. You can see bumps on the top of the deck (I didn't even crank them down all the way).

streetmeat

• Rep: 170
« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2021, 05:11:10 AM »
ended up getting some Slappy Hour Swizzle Stixx due to the 13.5" length and me pretty strictly being on 14" WB now

Srt32srt

• Rep: 1
« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2021, 08:37:09 AM »
the video has lil jawn 4 hole rails. also everyone that likes lightweight 13.5" 4 hole slim rails message @liljawns on insta and let him know we want a production model.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #98 on: October 27, 2021, 08:48:07 AM »
No one asked, but I mentioned before that I use tape to keep the rails tight and the rattling down. This is the tape. Works great, and a little goes a long way. You may need a hairdryer or heatgun to remove them.

3M Super Strength Molding Tape, 03609, 1/2 in x 5 ft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BO913C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_XY0BGGYVAB5N594AQ1Y4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

streetmeat

« Reply #99 on: October 28, 2021, 02:41:36 AM »
the video has lil jawn 4 hole rails. also everyone that likes lightweight 13.5" 4 hole slim rails message @liljawns on insta and let him know we want a production model.

already on it  :P

Frank and Fred

« Reply #100 on: October 28, 2021, 07:11:06 AM »

Lots of board and lip slides to scuff them into invisibility.  Or just get more rails and position them so the rails cover the old holes but place the screws in fresh holes.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #101 on: October 28, 2021, 07:40:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lots of board and lip slides to scuff them into invisibility.  Or just get more rails and position them so the rails cover the old holes but place the screws in fresh holes.

Wish I had pics still but on a brown bomber I filled the holes in with wood glue and sanded them. Used a furniture touch up pen around the edges. Looked ok.

Srt32srt

« Reply #102 on: October 28, 2021, 07:44:53 AM »
No one asked, but I mentioned before that I use tape to keep the rails tight and the rattling down. This is the tape. Works great, and a little goes a long way. You may need a hairdryer or heatgun to remove them.

3M Super Strength Molding Tape, 03609, 1/2 in x 5 ft https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BO913C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_XY0BGGYVAB5N594AQ1Y4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

that stuff is too thick, try trex super glue tape, works much better.

https://www.amazon.com/T-Rex-Double-Sided-Super-Inches/dp/B07YVMH9R7

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #103 on: October 28, 2021, 07:51:32 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That stuff looks wider than an average rail. Do you have to cut it to size? The good thing about the 3M tape is that it's already the correct width, and I didn't find the thickness to be a problem once the rail was installed.

Srt32srt

« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2021, 06:58:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

That stuff looks wider than an average rail. Do you have to cut it to size? The good thing about the 3M tape is that it's already the correct width, and I didn't find the thickness to be a problem once the rail was installed.

I just cut the size width of the rail im using. You just need a little strip between each screw hole.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 996
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2021, 07:19:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

I just cut the size width of the rail im using. You just need a little strip between each screw hole.

I've used the thinnest 3m stuff I can find, run it the length of the rail, press into place, screw, trim the tape.

I keep telling my buddy to do this, dude's board is like a coffee can honda with shitty bass rattling his molding.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #106 on: November 04, 2021, 07:34:47 PM »
Who makes the shortest rails?

streetmeat

« Reply #107 on: November 05, 2021, 04:22:20 AM »
slappy hour swizzle sticks are the shortest i have seen at 13.5"

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: November 05, 2021, 08:06:31 AM »
slappy hour swizzle sticks are the shortest i have seen at 13.5"

Thank you!

Robebabu

• Rep: -7
« Reply #109 on: January 15, 2022, 01:16:02 PM »
Anyone try installing rails on a thinner construction deck like a 5-ply Santa Cruz VX? I originally had planned on using some of the new Santa Cruz HSR rails on mine, but noticed that the included screws would protrude through the top of the deck. I believe these and their regular Slim Line rails are only intended for decks 7-ply or thicker. However, after purchasing some Blue Haven rails for a Dogtown setup, I noticed that their screws do not protrude as much. I will likely order another pair to use on my VX and save the HSR rails for another setup.

Out of the rails I currently have: I would say the NHS brand rails (HSR/Slimline/Juice Bars) are all pretty similar in terms of the plastic used. But one thing I noticed is that the holes are wider on the HSR/Slim Line than on the Juice Bars. This may give the Juice Bars a tighter fit. All appear to use the same pan-head type wood screws, which have pretty coarse threads. But the Slim Line/HSR have a pocket underneath the holes to accommodate wood shavings, while the Juice Bars do not. This is just on the rails I have. Not sure if they have changed production on anything.

The Dogtown Blue Haven rails are thinner, have tighter holes like the Juice Bars, and come with shorter countersunk screws with finer threads. They appear to use better material than NHS, possibly HDPE. My only concern is the smaller screws might pull out more easily. I've considered using sex bolts, but this involves drilling larger holes, and I would probably only use them if included. For example, if I were to install skid plates.

Whichever rails I decide to use on their respective decks, my plan is to drill very small pilot holes to reduce wood shaving displacement and ease installation, double-sided tape to reduce rattle, and possibly a dab of wood glue in the holes to help lock in the screws. Once I get it all done and do some skating, I'll report back with my results.

Other rails I have been looking at are: Riff Raff, Rad Railz, Lil Jawns.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2022, 01:33:27 PM »
Anyone try installing rails on a thinner construction deck like a 5-ply Santa Cruz VX? I originally had planned on using some of the new Santa Cruz HSR rails on mine, but noticed that the included screws would protrude through the top of the deck. I believe these and their regular Slim Line rails are only intended for decks 7-ply or thicker. However, after purchasing some Blue Haven rails for a Dogtown setup, I noticed that their screws do not protrude as much. I will likely order another pair to use on my VX and save the HSR rails for another setup.

Out of the rails I currently have: I would say the NHS brand rails (HSR/Slimline/Juice Bars) are all pretty similar in terms of the plastic used. But one thing I noticed is that the holes are wider on the HSR/Slim Line than on the Juice Bars. This may give the Juice Bars a tighter fit. All appear to use the same pan-head type wood screws, which have pretty coarse threads. But the Slim Line/HSR have a pocket underneath the holes to accommodate wood shavings, while the Juice Bars do not. This is just on the rails I have. Not sure if they have changed production on anything.

The Dogtown Blue Haven rails are thinner, have tighter holes like the Juice Bars, and come with shorter countersunk screws with finer threads. They appear to use better material than NHS, possibly HDPE. My only concern is the smaller screws might pull out more easily. I've considered using sex bolts, but this involves drilling larger holes, and I would probably only use them if included. For example, if I were to install skid plates.

Whichever rails I decide to use on their respective decks, my plan is to drill very small pilot holes to reduce wood shaving displacement and ease installation, double-sided tape to reduce rattle, and possibly a dab of wood glue in the holes to help lock in the screws. Once I get it all done and do some skating, I'll report back with my results.

Other rails I have been looking at are: Riff Raff, Rad Railz, Lil Jawns.

Heroin rails are really really good.

I've had a few sets of the SC branded rails and the screws were different a few times, same model rail; I think there might have been a hardware switch as some point; the fatter screws suck (they also have wide threads) and I had a harder time with them getting the rails flush.

Robebabu

• Rep: -7
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2022, 01:45:11 PM »

On first look, they appear to be exactly like Dogtown rails, but a little more expensive. I'll be sure to check them out next time I'm at the skateshop, but I'm not sure I'm down for glow-in-the-dark rails, lol. Thanks for the suggestion!

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #112 on: January 15, 2022, 05:09:15 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

On first look, they appear to be exactly like Dogtown rails, but a little more expensive. I'll be sure to check them out next time I'm at the skateshop, but I'm not sure I'm down for glow-in-the-dark rails, lol. Thanks for the suggestion!

They're a bit lower and more rounded edged than the slimlines; they also come with better screws (thinner thread, flatter head).

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #113 on: February 08, 2022, 05:27:45 AM »
Does anybody know a solution to this problem? I even used superglue this time to make the rail tick to the board better. But it still keeps happening.

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 768
« Reply #114 on: February 08, 2022, 06:25:17 AM »
Does anybody know a solution to this problem? I even used superglue this time to make the rail tick to the board better. But it still keeps happening.

this used to happen to me when i skated with a rail. i don't know how to write it correctly but basically the wood around the screw hole tends to shape up like a volcano? i know this sounds stupid as fuck but english isn't my first language and i don't really know how to say it in other words, but i think that's the reason why the rail doesn't align with the board.

my solution was to take a razor or a thin knife and try to clean that space up and then tighten the screws. sometimes it did nothing though and i just forced the screws into there.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

disclosed

• Rep: 175
« Reply #115 on: February 08, 2022, 07:29:42 AM »
this happened to me every  time i used hard plastic molded rails. never happened with Bones rails. (onyone know why?)
last time i unscrewed it and just sanded the holes down and screwed it in again. that solved the problem for me.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #116 on: February 08, 2022, 10:22:42 AM »

my solution was to take a razor or a thin knife and try to clean that space up and then tighten the screws. sometimes it did nothing though and i just forced the screws into there.

I usually just crank it down, but predrilling alleviates some of this with smaller pilot holes.

The wood volcano is pretty apt and is the cause, top layer of wood getting gnurled up (this is also why people cocuntersink wood screws). I'm sure some woodworker out there knows the correct term..where's is Ben when you need him?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 02:10:24 PM by Xen »

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #117 on: February 08, 2022, 11:36:04 AM »

I used to have this happen a lot.

1. Always start at one end and put the screws in going down the rail. When I've started in the middle or anything like that it always bumps up, but going down always helps. I also like to use a ratcheting screwdriver, since it makes it way easier to keep the pressure on and also feel when you're as deep as you can go.

2. get some 1/4" (or 1/2" or metric equivalent depending on your rails) double sided foam tape front he hardware store and use that on the back of your rail. Film and Welcome rails come with it on there already, but it does a great job of making sure the surface is even with your deck and makes mounting way easier.

Hopefully both or either of those things help!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2022, 12:35:36 PM by Macho Taildrop »

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 501
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #118 on: February 08, 2022, 12:06:40 PM »
Thanks everyone. Next setup I will nerd out when I apply my rails and use your techniques

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #119 on: February 08, 2022, 02:09:56 PM »

Put wood screws about 2/3 of way in. All of them. Then unscrew rail / take it off. Get a piece of grip tape or sandpaper, and sand down those shavings. Then put rails back on, screwing down screws all the way. It will now sit flush.
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre