Author Topic: You Thought They Would Be Bigger  (Read 6651 times)

Hands down Hass out

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
  • 奇妙な滞在
Re: You Thought They Would Be Bigger
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2021, 08:55:41 AM »

Pavs323

• Rep: 13
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2021, 08:57:36 AM »
I thought Victor Aceves was gonna become one of the mainstays for Emerica and Foundation. It’s really too bad he absolutely shredded his knee. I guess it’s not over for him yet, but the guy can still barely move his foot well over a year later. I’m still rooting for him though, seems like a nice kid.

Bugsytootsie

• Rep: -10
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2021, 09:00:44 AM »
https://youtu.be/BOqC0JjuFfY
Darkstar team in general. Dyet, Machnau, Lutzka. Decenzo to an extent too.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2021, 09:03:11 AM »
Dylan. Seems so lanky on video but he was quite short irl. Definitely not 6 foot 1 as wiki has it (just checked). 5 11 at most I'd say. Made the stuff he did that much more impressive. Austyn as well.
I swore I saw Alex Olson on the subway in Brooklyn a few years ago looking rather short, but then a bunch of people in the AO thread insisted that he was actually “taller than Dylan.” At the same time, a bunch of people agreed with me that he was actually short.

So I think there are a few possible explanations.
1. People who think Alex and Dylan are/were “tall” are actually short lil skate ppl, easily impressed by even average height
2. There are multiple AO doppelgängers hanging around NYC
3. Online celebrity height listings are ALWAYS inflated by at least an inch or two
4. Alex was standing on his tiptoes in the fat bill portrait photo where he looks taller than Dylan (not so far fetched, he’s a very vain guy)
5. AO actually *is* a tall fella and I was tripping on the subway that day (I do smoke a lot of weed, and I always have trouble recognizing faces, even people I know)

the truth is out there

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2021, 09:05:51 AM »
I like the two different definitions of “big” running concurrently in this topic.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2021, 09:19:27 AM »
Every pro I’ve seen is shorter and thinner in real life except Andrew Cannon who was fatter. It’s kinda like how a lot of people say Rihanna is much prettier in person, camera just does weird things to your proportions.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2021, 09:40:05 AM »
Filmbot
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2021, 09:54:37 AM »
Big Pink's tits
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2021, 10:11:12 AM »
Wes is shorter than I expected. For some reason I thought he was on the tall side

hairdo

• Rep: -15
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2021, 10:38:55 AM »
I misjudged the size of sponsored/pro women skaters I see on IG. I went to the X Games in 2019 and they're all under 5'4". Jenn Soto is like 5 feet tall and 90 lbs and I thought she looked tall and lanky on her IG

in term of career and stuff like that I don't know how to judge anymore. I thought Malto was going to be bigger but then I look at his IG and he has 1M follower and still on Nike so maybe he is big and I just stopped paying attention.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2021, 10:39:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dylan. Seems so lanky on video but he was quite short irl. Definitely not 6 foot 1 as wiki has it (just checked). 5 11 at most I'd say. Made the stuff he did that much more impressive. Austyn as well.
[close]

5 foot 11 is short? are you Dutch or something?
[close]

Haha, nailed it. I just meant quite short compared to what I expected. Must have been the slim fits and giant pop. He was about my height which is indeed below average in this part of the world.
[close]

5.11 seems about right. I saw Dylan in person once and I was super impressed at how powerful he was even though he looked so skinny. He skated a super steep and Rough Bank and backslid it with no wax every try while filming a line. I had skated that spot for years and I didn‘t even think that trick was possible even with a lot of wax.

5.11 is the average height of males in Germany. It is above average for German skaters, though.

Skaters heights is my favorite topic. I thought Heath would be much bigger. He was about 5.8

The same with Jon Dixon. He‘s even shorter, about 5.6 He was really buff though. He looked like a professional gymnist or Olympic Redford or something.
[close]

Always wondered kircharts height, thought he was taller. Where did you see that info? Or you saw him in person? Im about 6 07 (1,85m) imagined he was around it haha

I saw him at the same Emerica Demo where I saw Jon Dixon. I always thought Heath was my height too. I am about 6 foot tall. Figgy was at the same demo. He is actually a really big guy. I‘d say 6.4 at least.

Cuban_Lynx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2021, 10:44:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

whole team is short lol...

skaters in general are shorter dudes for sure, tall skaters would be a much shorter list.
It's better to have a consistently short team than to have one Grant Patterson and everyone else needs to sit down for the photo

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2021, 10:48:34 AM »
i wish Billy Davenport could get a place on a bigger brand, he is so sick!

Dude has ripped for a while.  Too bad Listen/BLVD never took off.

Eric Fletcher
Travis Stenger
Nate Broussard
Brad Hiser

Gnarfunkell

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 131
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2021, 11:13:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

skaters in general are shorter dudes for sure, tall skaters would be a much shorter list.
[close]
It's better to have a consistently short team than to have one Grant Patterson and everyone else needs to sit down for the photo

Man this shit is cracking me up... skating has truly gone through some awful phases style-wise lmao.

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2021, 11:36:53 AM »
I thought Numbers would become one of the bigger board companies.

I expected Tiago to be bigger in person, like 6'2" and hench. He's about 5'9" and has an athletic build, slim but muscular.

It’s funny how most pros are short lol

Buttholesurfer

• Rep: 13
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2021, 11:50:34 AM »
I saw Alex Olson and the boss skating which other at my local school curbs spot. They were almost the same height if that holds some info

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2021, 12:01:33 PM »
Eric Koston is taller than I would have guessed tho. For some reason I assumed he was short but he’s like six feet tall

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2021, 12:31:54 PM »
I always knew BA was big but he was definitely a lot taller in person than I expected
Suns out, im going skating. chow

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2021, 12:58:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Man this shit is cracking me up... skating has truly gone through some awful phases style-wise lmao.

The second guy from the left lol

NorthShore

• Rep: 5
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2021, 01:25:50 PM »
Tom Cruise!

lk130

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2021, 03:24:07 PM »
Ba wearing a size 13 or 14 lol
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Dark Knight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2021, 03:36:53 PM »
Oh, if we’re talking height here then I’m all off.  Haha

I’m 6’4”, so I’m taller than a lot of people. But it is surprising to see how small some pros are when you see them in person.

For me it’s the guys that you know are tall but then when you see them in person they’re not.

BA comes to mind on that one.  I thought he was going to be gigantic but he’s shorter than me.

I saw Biebel at the same demo and was surprised at how big he was.  Not tall, just a big dude. This was when Jereme Rogers was an unknown am on Girl to give you a timeline.

Diego Najera looks tall as hell, anyone here ever see him in person?

Funny to me how everyone fears Antwaun Dixon like he’s huge but he’s not big at all.

lk130

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2021, 03:47:28 PM »
Tall skaters I've heard of,
Adelmo Jr
Reynolds
Heath?
Tony Hawk
Donta Hill
Ba is tall lol
Gt is nearly 6ft
Cyrus Bennett seems tall
Gershon Mosley
Levi Brown
Kechaud Johnson
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2021, 03:56:37 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i think its just the forced perspective of the image with the taller dudes in the back and shorter ones in front.

ziggy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -222
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2021, 03:57:42 PM »
Abdias Rivera

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2021, 04:02:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

i think its just the forced perspective of the image with the taller dudes in the back and shorter ones in front.

Adrian Lopez on a smoke break from his shift at Santa's workshop. 

hairdo

• Rep: -15
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2021, 04:08:42 PM »

I’m 6’4”, so I’m taller than a lot of people. But it is surprising to see how small some pros are when you see them in person.

For me it’s the guys that you know are tall but then when you see them in person they’re not.

BA comes to mind on that one.  I thought he was going to be gigantic but he’s shorter than me.

I saw Biebel at the same demo and was surprised at how big he was.  Not tall, just a big dude. This was when Jereme Rogers was an unknown am on Girl to give you a timeline.

Funny to me how everyone fears Antwaun Dixon like he’s huge but he’s not big at all.

I always thought Biebel was short but he's actually taller than guys like MJ and Rick McCrank. He seems like a short guy but he's like 6 foot. A lot of skaters I thought were around 6 foot tall are actually like 5'9"

Surprisingly to me was that Koston was so tall. The tallest dude from that crowd though is Rick Howard. He is like the tallest guy associated with Girl and Chocolate.  he's like 1-2 inches taller than BA. I think that makes him one of the tallest pro skaters in history

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2021, 04:10:44 PM »
Unless you are talking about Pancho Moler, it is way easier to stand out in skating for being 6 foot plus, than being sub 5'7. It's why people like Caleb Barnett, and Figgy stand out as giants relative to their peers.

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2021, 04:16:36 PM »
Thank you

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2021, 04:36:11 PM »

I’m nowhere near that (I’m 1m84 don’t know what it converts to in feet) and most skaters I meet are smaller. In fact the better skaters at my locals tend to be short