Author Topic: Rob Brink Interview  (Read 9554 times)

LouisONeill

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -18
Rob Brink Interview
« on: April 20, 2021, 03:02:37 AM »
Hi all,

I just posted an interview I did with Rob Brink at DOSE Magazine, you can find it below. He talks about Dylan's impossible over the fence at Street League, The Olympics and some other stuff. Hopefully you like it!

https://doseskateboarding.com/articles/rob-brink-interview

nickpaolucci

Re: Rob Brink Interview
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2021, 06:15:11 AM »
brinky mary, brinky mary, brinky mary

Colt Cannon's Cargos

• Rep: -5
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 06:58:02 AM »
rob brink, the olympics, and street league?

hard pass

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2021, 07:09:50 AM »
should've interviewed this guy instead

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 08:47:02 AM »
 I've never heard of "getting the giggles" as being one of the best parts of skating but you do you, Rob
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

Some dude

• Rep: -42
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2021, 01:53:34 PM »
Has there been an interview he doesn’t talk about Dylan at Street League?

I joke. It was a sick impossible.

ish_wav

• Rep: 94
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2021, 01:56:37 PM »
Please don’t summon him

Lou Strux

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2191
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2021, 02:57:27 PM »
Please don’t summon him
Brinklejuice, Brinklejuice, Brinklejuice!!!

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 648
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2021, 03:17:58 PM »
As a side note, I love that the Olympics is wrapping itself in the blanket of charity and "progressive values" to try to guilt anyone for holding anti-Olympics values, it is a really clever sleight of hand.  Its not the Olympics (a corrupt event that lost its surface level amateur athlete values long ago, promotes nationalism, and often fucks the finances of the host city) and its not those who directly gain from Olympic skateboarding who are selfish... it is you, the local skater who wants to keep skateboarding from being institutionalized and developing a formal top-down hierarchy who is being selfish. By not embracing an event that gives a select and small subset of skaters power, you are being selfish. You are personally ripping skateboards out of the hands of poor children and you should feel bad that you questioned the validity of Olympic skateboarding.

The Olympics itself has a long history of human rights abuses and often decimates the local economy of the host country. Rio bulldozed poor people's homes to create Olympic sites, Sochi was built with trafficked labor, Sochi Olympics created a perfect opportunity for the wealthy to embezzle money from the gov., the games nearly bankrupted Montreal and accelerated Toronto's ability to become the economic capital of Canada, the London Olympics were used to gentrify the East End, and so on...  but it is ok cause when Hendrix wasn't (possibly) touching children, we gave a couple boards away, governments will build parks across the world (like they weren't doing this before the Olympics), and now for the first time ever women will get to skateboard (because before the Olympics, women weren't getting gaining coverage and support in street skateboarding and no one associated with the Olympics possibly molested a would be athlete gymnasitics style and the male Olympic skaters are super supportive).

The Olympics are lame and any spin that someone is selfish for not wanting to see an institutionalized version of skateboarding on the world stage or doesn't want to see a small subset of skaters plug themselves into the corrupt IOC money pipeline, connect with government officials and private businesses by declaring ownership over skateboarding is bullsiht. This event is beyond lame.

And any comparison to the X-Games is off base... the X-Games were a sideshow on ESPN, and, as promoters of the Olympics like to point out, the Olympics can actually change how governments view skateboarding and how they spend tax money. When we are talking of the benefits of the Olympics, we are told how powerful it is and how it can benefit skaters across the world, but when discussing the cons, we are told, "It is not a big deal. It is not going to affect anything." Amazing, it can change everything, but it is also too weak to change anything. Cool.

Edit: And, before someone questions "What have you done for skateboarding?" With my limited access to other people's money, I've brought boards to kids in Cuba; I've worked on trying to get the city to revitalize my local park; I've met with head of the parks and rec dept of another city to eliminate the fees they instituted to use the park; I donate my used boards to local shop; and when working at a shop, I'd traded a poor kids skate goods for whatever nicknacks they could offer me (best deal was a sheet of grip for a few Black Cat fireworks); and I can't count the number of times I've played the role of old dude free skate teacher at the park.

Edit II: This isn't an attack on Brink and shouldn't be seen that way. Instead, it is a critique of the talking points Ream thought up long ago. Brink and I often don't see eye-to-eye, but I like the fact that his views are often different from my own. It makes for an interesting, albeit sometimes heated discussion.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 04:06:15 PM by TheLurper »

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -301
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2021, 04:29:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Should’ve asked him if he ever shoved a screwdriver up his neighbors ass
[close]

That interview got scrubbed from YT and it makes me sick. I wish the worst on Chase Gabor. Extreme Thetan kook and actual sex criminal. With all these allegations coming to light and sometimes even gaining traction on Slap, I don't know why he was not held accountable by employers or friends. Especially due to the fact he recanted that story with a smile on a popular overrated program.

Fucken oath.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2021, 04:40:54 PM »
Hahahha
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2021, 05:56:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Should’ve asked him if he ever shoved a screwdriver up his neighbors ass
[close]

That interview got scrubbed from YT and it makes me sick. I wish the worst on Chase Gabor. Extreme Thetan kook and actual sex criminal. With all these allegations coming to light and sometimes even gaining traction on Slap, I don't know why he was not held accountable by employers or friends. Especially due to the fact he recanted that story with a smile on a popular overrated program.
[close]

You might find it “overrated” but view counts and longevity would suggest it was quite popular. They are not opposites. Clever attempt though.

Cool, thanks. I'm glad that's what you took from that chunk of text.

Wheelbyte

• Rep: -34
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2021, 06:11:02 PM »
I like how in the typewriter photo of the article that all Brinks stuff in the background is neatly lined up in tidy rows.
Now why did I notice that...

Some dude

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2021, 06:11:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Has there been an interview he doesn’t talk about Dylan at Street League?

I joke. It was a sick impossible.
[close]

I respond to what I am asked. There are also dozens of interviews where it isn’t mentioned. Nice slant to try to make it work here though  ;)

Thanks. I take my slanting seriously 🙃

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2021, 06:12:33 PM »
So brink, you ever going to explain this screwdriver business or what?

Or you ok with assault like that?

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2021, 06:43:32 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I don’t need to explain it. Plenty of people know the actual story. Most choose not to believe it because then it ends the witch hunt based on misinformation that people here love so much. No I’m not ok with assault like that. Even though Chase was the victim. Nice baiting attempt though.

Honestly; I don’t follow you around here or on any platform, so if you have addressed it then so be it. But as far as I know you guys all thought it was a situation worth having a laugh about.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2021, 07:37:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

I don’t need to explain it. Plenty of people know the actual story. Most choose not to believe it because then it ends the witch hunt based on misinformation that people here love so much. No I’m not ok with assault like that. Even though Chase was the victim. Nice baiting attempt though.
[close]

Honestly; I don’t follow you around here or on any platform, so if you have addressed it then so be it. But as far as I know you guys all thought it was a situation worth having a laugh about.
[close]

Guess you don’t know much then. Shocker.

I must have missed the part where you took someone telling you they stuck a screwdriver up someones arse seriously.

But whatever, for what it’s worth Mr Brink I kinda admire you putting yourself out there.

Shalom.

Tyroneshoelaces

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -598
  • who knows
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2021, 07:53:01 PM »
Obviously horny jail security isn't what it used to be
where is home?

Some dude

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2021, 07:55:51 PM »
Anyone talking shit on me on these boards ... from now on.

$50 donated to the charity of your choice if you come out from behind the keyboard and have an identity-revealed zoom convo about your issues with me and why you’re hating.

Contact me directly. Let’s see how much you like talking shit over actual philanthropy.

no hate here. you seem to be pretty cool

doublesteveburger

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2021, 07:58:24 PM »
I just don’t understand why you have to yell.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2021, 07:59:05 PM »
Rob has a legendary Youtube channel with some awesome contest runs & legendary skaters clips
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

drewdc

• Rep: -85
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2021, 08:03:35 PM »
I met Brink in Portland a few years ago at a event Nike and Pharmacy put . cool dude , talked to my random drunk talking self. seemed like just another skate nerd like the rest of us. Way cooler than Koston was acting that night.  cheers

TheDingus

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2021, 08:32:33 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Sucks that all of these kids wouldn’t believe the real story anyway.
But yes chase was the one that got the tool up his ass. Not the other way around. He was just too embarrassed to admit it and it backfired. Now it will chase him (no pun intended) as long as he lives.

Ghost Face Nigga

• Rep: -34
  • Im black
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2021, 08:33:46 PM »
Fuck you brink im not hopping on a zoom call. Suck my dick stupid. you fucking fed lmao
Horny 2 Skate

blurst_of_times

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 803
    • Skateboarding Magazine Scans avatar image
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2021, 08:45:31 PM »
@brink didn't you interview Stoya a while ago? Or am I completely making that up? For Jenkem maybe?
There was no wire. Clark's planet needed him.
 Note: Clark Hassler died on the way back to his home planet.

pugmaster

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1579
  • Overweight and Underprepared
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2021, 08:47:35 PM »
@LouisONeill

I think this thread should be renamed:

"Brink's boom boom in the zoom room"
"...We got the nuclear worm over here..."

Never forget:
Rusty_Berrings, 360 frip, Yapple Dapple, Bubblegum Tate

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 362
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2021, 08:58:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Sucks that all of these kids wouldn’t believe the real story anyway.
But yes chase was the one that got the tool up his ass. Not the other way around. He was just too embarrassed to admit it and it backfired. Now it will chase him (no pun intended) as long as he lives.
[close]

Funny too, how so many people still talking shit choose to ignore this truth or claim they “never heard” it ... but somehow, 6 years later are still interested enough to be talking about it. Convenient huh?

Absolutely fucked. I have legitimately never heard this, spin whatever narrative you want.
That's just peachy.. Publishing a descriptive conversation about a sexual assault, reversing the victim and perpetrator roles, redacting it and expecting the consumer to fill in the blanks appropriately.

I felt sick the first time I heard that story and it stuck with me for years, I don't figure I'm alone. Not sorry.

I felt true disdain for a person I now have compassion for.

doublesteveburger

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2021, 09:06:31 PM »
Expand Quote
I just don’t understand why you have to yell.
[close]

That’s still all you got, huh?

It’s just so loud.

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2021, 09:58:26 PM »
I did the exact same thing during the MJ vs Crailtap saga and took another beating. Now look at what’s come to light and transpired over the years.

This was the other side of the story then? You knew 5 years ago about Kenny Anderson’s alleged treatment of women? And how then future rider, Yonnie Cruz, would be knowingly spreading herps?

Robert Baratheon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 40
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2021, 10:10:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I did the exact same thing during the MJ vs Crailtap saga and took another beating. Now look at what’s come to light and transpired over the years.
[close]

This was the other side of the story then? You knew 5 years ago about Kenny Anderson’s alleged treatment of women? And how then future rider, Yonnie Cruz, would be knowingly spreading herps?
[close]

Nope, I was referring to MJ and other riders being treated not so well and that’s why he and others rightfully left and he shouldn’t have been attacked for it.

I, like all of you, know nothing about the personal relationships or sex lives of professional skateboarders until a partner comes out about it publicly.

Well, what’s come to light then?