Author Topic: North Hollywood was an objectively terrible movie  (Read 29608 times)

Beeda Weeda

Re: North Hollywood was an objectively terrible movie
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2021, 07:36:57 AM »
Expand Quote

This movie is awesome.
[close]

Hands down the greatest skate movie ever made.
thank you, it really checks all the boxes.

Star Whores Episode I: The Fellatio Menace

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 226
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2021, 07:37:15 AM »
The Grind doesn't even bother me, its supposed to be corny. I like that kind of humor for skateboarding. Haven't watched North Hollywood, but mid 90's was very average.

Agreed. It bums me out to see people get all extended on Sweet Lou and Grind. It was meant to be a silly stoner comedy about skateboarding. Street Dreams on the other hand had Prod trying to win an oscar for doing the ugliest 360 flip crooked grind on a rail at Tampa.

if post- retirement duke nukem bagged that azz i have a chance too

This Charming Bat

• Rep: 11
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2021, 07:39:46 AM »
I watched it with a couple of buddies, mostly to see how bad it was. It was almost like watching an alien transmission. The main character calls his dad “Pops” and then says it at the end of every sentence. At one point they dress up like they are characters in Happy Days. It’s really bad when Jason Dill is one of the best actors in your movie.

It was borderline unwatchable at times. Cant wait for this to be released to the general public to see how much it gets roasted here. I’m hoping Bobby didn’t  spend his time on this movie instead of getting clips for the Krooked video.

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1433
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2021, 07:47:53 AM »
Machotaildrop is the best, hands down. It also spawned the manwolfs which is a lovely little joke that so few people are in on. Also thrashin is a masterpeece
I thought mid90s was nice enough. Not the best movie ever but i liked it.
I'll probably see North Hollywood when it doesn't have a $20 price tag on it.

Pete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 725
  • Free Max B
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2021, 08:02:40 AM »
llegal civ/ mickey alfredo really sucks. atleast theyre keeping it real by embracing the fact theyre just a bunch of spoiled rich LA kids.  idk anyone whos into that shit besides jonah hill

gotta love when idiots act all "if you just keep trying, and keep your eyes on your goal, with jesus on your side you can do anything! look i even made a movie all by myself!" when in reality the only reason these kids have accomplished anything is the connections to hollywood they have via parents.

does anyone outside of their dickriding fanbase even care? cant imagine any kid at any shop anywhere needing a board and looking at a wall of deluxe, quasi, etc and buying a "jumpmanblanco" board lmao

someone put my avatar on a board so i can go pro and listen to mickey alfred talk to me about investments at skatespots in LA

PS always thought the whole "Mid 90s" shit was whack because most these dudes were born in like 94-96. they wasnt there.

free max b

FREE MAX B

BluffsideTank

• Rep: -14
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2021, 08:47:30 AM »
St. Charles Borromeo represent!

Utopos

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -23
  • Who Cares
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2021, 08:50:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Not sure if anyone else here shelled out the $20 to see it, but I did and man do I regret it. Only kinda cool think about it was seeing Tyshawn, Reynolds, Louie, and even a small cameo from Kader, but the plot didn’t really make sense/land and the whole conflict is about how the main character just lies to his friends about skating with pros. Should be on some streaming platform in May and then it will get the full review from everyone, but Mikey Alfred should just stop trying to hype these things up because it bummed me out...
[close]

Not trying to be a cool guy here but I don't think I'd watch it if it was free, also if you let Mikey Alfred trick you into thinking anything he does is cool then that's on you

This

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2021, 09:20:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Not sure if anyone else here shelled out the $20 to see it, but I did and man do I regret it. Only kinda cool think about it was seeing Tyshawn, Reynolds, Louie, and even a small cameo from Kader, but the plot didn’t really make sense/land and the whole conflict is about how the main character just lies to his friends about skating with pros. Should be on some streaming platform in May and then it will get the full review from everyone, but Mikey Alfred should just stop trying to hype these things up because it bummed me out...
[close]

Not trying to be a cool guy here but I don't think I'd watch it if it was free, also if you let Mikey Alfred trick you into thinking anything he does is cool then that's on you

So this isn’t cool?!?!

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2021, 09:24:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

So this isn’t cool?!?!

DanCorteseFromMTVSports

• Rep: 280
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2021, 09:57:27 AM »
Just going to repost this wonderful gem

Biancapal

• Rep: -8
« Reply #40 on: April 21, 2021, 10:11:05 AM »

Lord have mercy, this fucked up my whole day

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2021, 10:14:01 AM »
*charges $20 to watch it*

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2021, 10:32:13 AM »
Why are all skate movies about the come up? Seems like a movie about a drug addicted company owner who is an amazing skater, but terrible financial planner would be a more interesting story.

Imagine if the main character was a mixed of Jim Greco’s temperament, with Jamie Thomas’ demand of others, with Kareem Campbell’s inability to pay people on time or show up to things...you would have the greatest skate movie ever.

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2021, 10:32:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

This movie is awesome.
[close]

Hands down the greatest skate movie ever made.
[close]
thank you, it really checks all the boxes.

Not exclusively about skateboarding, but there's a few pro skateboarders sprinkled throughout the movie and I believe Telly and Casper were both skaters who got picked up to be in the movie because "they were the real deal" according to Larry Clark and Harmony Korine...

Also, all of the skateboarders facing sexual assault and rape charge shouldn't have taken this movie to heart, but then again, I think the directors were trying to show how some Kids (young skateboarders in NYC were behaving in the mid 90's)

First time I watched this movie, I crept into my parents living room and turned on HBO at midnight and Kids was playing, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. RIP Justin Pierce and Harold Hunter

Sizzla

• Rep: 223
  • I luv I jah
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2021, 10:41:07 AM »
Dang, I'll still probably check it out though. I'm a sucker for skate movies. They're never really good, but usually pretty funny  idk. I own a copy of grind, I'll throw that shit on sometimes when people are over, usually gets a laugh.

Totally
I an I haff nah white god

one-off

• Rep: 107
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2021, 10:48:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Dang, I'll still probably check it out though. I'm a sucker for skate movies. They're never really good, but usually pretty funny  idk. I own a copy of grind, I'll throw that shit on sometimes when people are over, usually gets a laugh.
[close]

Totally

Try "Skateboard or Die" if you really want to scrape the bottom of this barrel

Easy Slider

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 692
« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2021, 10:56:55 AM »
In a discussion about skate movies or movies with a skate theme or even movies featuring skaters as a sideshow we should mention Gleaming The Cube and Police Academy 4.
why come?

Life is too short to be angry at the Shrimp Blunt intro

drewdown

• Rep: -30
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2021, 11:44:24 AM »
In a discussion about skate movies or movies with a skate theme or even movies featuring skaters as a sideshow we should mention Gleaming The Cube and Police Academy 4.

Hell yeah Citizens on Patrol was tight.  Gleaming the Cube has my vote for best skate film, yeah it had some corny shit in it but it had some legitimate skating and pros as well.  Christian Slater could do no wrong back then too.   That and RAD for BMX were the jams back in the day.  Something about the RAD soundtrack just gets me amped even after all this time. 

fs180

• Rep: -267
« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2021, 11:46:04 AM »
Why are all skate movies about the come up? Seems like a movie about a drug addicted company owner who is an amazing skater, but terrible financial planner would be a more interesting story.

Imagine if the main character was a mixed of Jim Greco’s temperament, with Jamie Thomas’ demand of others, with Kareem Campbell’s inability to pay people on time or show up to things...you would have the greatest skate movie ever.

This. Imagine a movie about a lazy alcoholic pro skater being loved by the kids but actually being a miserable person. Skate version of hanckock. Much more realistic and much more interesting to see someone after all of the hollywood pro skater imagination. If skaters would love the storyline of street dreams theyd be so hyped to hear jagger eaton talk about his life and i doubt anyone of us wonders how that happened.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1236
« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2021, 11:53:52 AM »
yeah what about hollywood skateboards though?

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2021, 12:39:17 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Lord have mercy, this fucked up my whole day

The definition of apex is the uppermost point, so to say that Illegal Civ is at their apex and that they’re about to take off is 100% incorrect use of the word.

Couldn’t pass that one up. One of my favorite things is when people fuck up trying to sound smarter than everyone. Especially when they have the whole kit to boot.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2021, 12:57:22 PM »
just thinking about Mikey Alfred gives me a headache. worst dude ever.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 666
« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2021, 12:59:54 PM »
*charges $20 to watch it*

someone gnar this guy for me

d0rk

• Rep: -21
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2021, 01:14:16 PM »
It amazes me that people take Mikey Alfred and utter bullshit seriously. He's such a clown.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2021, 01:17:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
new illegal civ movie was bad? i thought skaters were notorious for being great actors...
[close]

He's no Frank the Nose
[close]

Machotaildrop = best skate movie
[close]

A skate movie with Donald Trump’s pal Vince Vaughn and Miranda Cosgrove, what the fuck was the casting director smoking? I understand bigger names help the movie to get picked up by distributors but damn, what a monumental flop. In the process Mikey has been shown up by Davonte Jolly at doing his own thing.

Miranda Cosgrove isn’t a Name.  We know her name, but that isn’t driving ticket sales.  I think I read in an interview that those guys all have a weird obsession with her and she was probably pretty easy to get (same with Vince Vaughn).  Actors like this aren’t tough to get because actors like to work and I’m guessing (will not watch) VV probably worked a few days on the whole shoot (which likely wasn’t more than 30 days itself)

It’s funny/telling that no ones has mentioned Lords of Dogtown as a skate movie.   

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2021, 01:34:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
new illegal civ movie was bad? i thought skaters were notorious for being great actors...
[close]

He's no Frank the Nose
[close]

Machotaildrop = best skate movie
[close]

A skate movie with Donald Trump’s pal Vince Vaughn and Miranda Cosgrove, what the fuck was the casting director smoking? I understand bigger names help the movie to get picked up by distributors but damn, what a monumental flop. In the process Mikey has been shown up by Davonte Jolly at doing his own thing.
[close]

Miranda Cosgrove isn’t a Name.  We know her name, but that isn’t driving ticket sales.  I think I read in an interview that those guys all have a weird obsession with her and she was probably pretty easy to get (same with Vince Vaughn).  Actors like this aren’t tough to get because actors like to work and I’m guessing (will not watch) VV probably worked a few days on the whole shoot (which likely wasn’t more than 30 days itself)

It’s funny/telling that no ones has mentioned Lords of Dogtown as a skate movie.

“You think the politicians that run my country and your country don’t have guns in the schools their kids go to? They do. And we should be allowed the same rights.” -Vince Vaughn.

Wonder if he has the same coke guy as Don Jr.

Kind of crazy of Mikey to use that dude. Must of been a scratch my back, scratch yours. Good look for Vince to have a chance of looking cool again, and Mikey gets more traction for his movie with Vince's celebrity, or whatever celebrity he has left.

Love KB's recent stories about people being fake friends with other people. Wonder if this has anything to do with those guys in North Hollywood.

Anyways, might watch it if it's free and see how long I can endure the cringe. It will have to be a day where I'm hella bored tho. Like...it's gonna be a deathly hot summer and I can't do shit on my day off bored
The chillest1

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2021, 01:46:07 PM »
Back when Vice was less cringeworthy, they produced a documentary called Dragonslayer.  It was similar to, but harsher than Minding the Gap imo.

I liked Godspeed ok, back Kevin White, but Mikey Alfred is a kook.

babs

• Rep: 2
« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2021, 02:30:47 PM »

this is so goddamn hilarious, his fits are so funny i could watch it on mute and still laugh.

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 83
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2021, 03:25:12 PM »
I actually like the nine club and listen to pretty much every one. Couldnt make it through his episode.

conqueso

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2021, 03:34:25 PM »
you could do some much more with 20 dollars than waste it on this bozo