Author Topic: North Hollywood was an objectively terrible movie  (Read 29625 times)

KRKD1

Re: North Hollywood was an objectively terrible movie
« Reply #300 on: June 08, 2021, 09:44:00 PM »
The best movie about skateboarding is The Man Who Souled the World. The rest is garbage

Wrong. The skateboard kid is not only the best one. If is unironically the truest representation of skateboarding out of all of em.

dallou

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
    • Music avatar image
« Reply #301 on: June 10, 2021, 01:27:15 AM »
Random thoughts : looked like a youtube movie or direct to dvd movie.
- The main character was so unlikable. Beeing a dick to everyone for no reason. Also he is nowhere near flow level
- why does every one acts like pro skaters are making a lot of money ?
- so annoyed at the main character discourse about money and working. Just trashing his dad’s career and hustle. Little piece of shit brat.
- I had a friend who started to lie all the time after he met a girl we did not really got along with. So that was funny .
- seems like nothing happens in the movie.
- the pros seem sooo boring and dumb aha. This movie really does not make you want to be a pro skater.
- the sound design thing when he wrestle his dad or something is so overused and tacky.
- laught at the idea of him doing water polo with that body.
- the relation with the girl is useless and seems soo forced. There is no chemistry. For the most part it feels they are forced to hang out. We never see actual moments of first love flirt happening and we never hear one of their conversation.
- all the pros are bad at acting. Nico is okay as a comic relief, second or third character type. I could see him in more professional Stuff.
- crazy that a movie about wanting to be pro does not make me want to skate or hang out with the homies.
- also we believe in their friendship just because they state multiple time in the movie that are childhood friends but again we barely see any genuine moments of hanging out. At least mid90 did that right

A very uninteresting and forgettable movie. And I am a sucker for teen movies.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 01:34:34 AM by dallou »
check my music

Massivecunt

• Rep: 4
  • [url=https://ibb.co/2cnQFMC][img]https://i.ibb.co/
« Reply #302 on: June 18, 2021, 04:38:46 AM »
Five minutes into this. Absolute dogshit.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #303 on: June 18, 2021, 05:52:33 AM »
Expand Quote
The best movie about skateboarding is The Man Who Souled the World. The rest is garbage
[close]

Wrong. The skateboard kid is not only the best one. If is unironically the truest representation of skateboarding out of all of em.

I always thought it was Kids.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 678
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
« Reply #304 on: June 18, 2021, 09:22:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I always thought it was Kids.

i probably shouldnt have watched that movie wen i was like 10

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #305 on: June 18, 2021, 09:24:50 AM »
wait... how the hell did this movie get 4/5 stars on rotten tomatoes? wtf?
is the only way to watch it still on amazon to rent for $3.99? might watch it tonight i just dont know if i wanna give that fool money... if someone has a link plz dm

PrettyRicki

• Rep: 10
  • Symmetrical boards <3
« Reply #306 on: June 18, 2021, 10:13:45 AM »
I watched North Hollywood and I don't think it was awful but I probably won't watch it again unless I'm with someone who really wants to see it. I mainly wanted to see the character that Vince Vaughn played in it. Skaters have always been so quick to hate on something that its a bit of a bummer.

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #307 on: June 18, 2021, 11:58:03 AM »
Random thoughts : looked like a youtube movie or direct to dvd movie.
- The main character was so unlikable. Beeing a dick to everyone for no reason. Also he is nowhere near flow level
- why does every one acts like pro skaters are making a lot of money ?
- so annoyed at the main character discourse about money and working. Just trashing his dad’s career and hustle. Little piece of shit brat.
- I had a friend who started to lie all the time after he met a girl we did not really got along with. So that was funny .
- seems like nothing happens in the movie.
- the pros seem sooo boring and dumb aha. This movie really does not make you want to be a pro skater.
- the sound design thing when he wrestle his dad or something is so overused and tacky.
- laught at the idea of him doing water polo with that body.
- the relation with the girl is useless and seems soo forced. There is no chemistry. For the most part it feels they are forced to hang out. We never see actual moments of first love flirt happening and we never hear one of their conversation.
- all the pros are bad at acting. Nico is okay as a comic relief, second or third character type. I could see him in more professional Stuff.
- crazy that a movie about wanting to be pro does not make me want to skate or hang out with the homies.
- also we believe in their friendship just because they state multiple time in the movie that are childhood friends but again we barely see any genuine moments of hanging out. At least mid90 did that right

A very uninteresting and forgettable movie. And I am a sucker for teen movies.

Good breakdown, the fact that a movie like grind made me want to skate with my friends when we were in highschool says something because we knew that movie sucked, if this as an earnest movie "by skaters" doesn't make you want to it speaks volumes.
Suns out, im going skating. chow

Lisa96

« Reply #308 on: June 18, 2021, 12:11:33 PM »
who does mikey alfred have sex with?

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #309 on: June 18, 2021, 12:34:09 PM »

Mikey Alfred

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1099
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #310 on: June 18, 2021, 12:42:00 PM »
I haven't seen all the skateboarding-related movies, but of what I have seen, "Kids," "Gleaming the Cube," "Ken Park," "Mid-90s" and "Paranoid Park" seem like the most legit and engaging ones.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Lisa96

« Reply #311 on: June 18, 2021, 12:43:16 PM »
thought he'd aim for someone younger but i don't know the guy

Brguy

« Reply #312 on: June 18, 2021, 01:13:17 PM »
does every one in this movie besides Vince von actually skate ? That’s not a bad thing. That’s actually pretty sick. It wasn’t always like that. Some creeps that didn’t never push on a bird ever made the movies for ya. You guys all act like it’s cool to be all inclusive but still findA way to hate on anyone doing some shit that dosnt jive with you. You are all haters. It’s ok. Everyone hates. It feels
Good to hate. It feels better to LOVE
Gotta be inclusive, hate on everything except fred gall.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #313 on: June 30, 2021, 04:14:36 AM »
finally got around to watching this shit
as others said the 50's aesthetic they are going for gets totally blown up by tossing in current cultural references like nora and ishod. and notice tj and bobby dont dress in that wack outfit either they obviously said they werent down for it lmao.

seems to me like there is some low key racism / ignorance going on. the scene where he wont eat at ish's house was weird and unnecessary. the way black people are represented in the film seems like that are 2nd class like notice the girl's friend is also black to match with white boy's black best friend and asian 3rd friend. the guy whos real who has to have the heart to heart with him to bring him back to reality lel. notice there were hardly any women in that movie. they had such weak roles too the few that were in there were so pathetic. also that scene with the bashing female skaters was weird and seemed un necessary. lmao then they end the movie with a vince vaughn heart to heart after black hammer

when he steals the board from the mall then hides it, i odnt see the point in including that. it didnt really make sense they showed the japanese guy fighting the security guards with a board same with ish but thne they all meet up underground seems like they got away but then theres just 1 sole security guard and they are cooked with no evidence... if they were going to include that scene they should have had sunny sneak back in later or some shit

so many missed opportunities wit hthis movies. like his dad was a concrete guy, they should have segway'd that into him building sick DIY spots or hell take easier road and build skate parks with his dad or some shit. instead went the pure cheeseball route!

guy 3 flips the tiniest ten stair after going back like 70 times to get it as if they would be like hell yeah ur comin to SF bruh. probably so ABD its not even funny thats why you never see that spot on any video its just too tiny. FUCK YOU MIKEY ALFRED

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #314 on: June 30, 2021, 04:25:42 AM »
“It’s gunna be hamlet with skateboards” Mikey Alfred said as loudly as socially acceptable at a party

coldbrew

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 404
« Reply #315 on: June 30, 2021, 07:08:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Mikey Alfred

Thank you for the morning laugh.

OldSkater

• Rep: -49
« Reply #316 on: June 30, 2021, 07:51:33 AM »
I’m yet to read through all 10 pages of this thread. Saw an ad for it scrolling on Instagram last night and it was one of the worst things I’ve ever fucking seen and it was only like 30 seconds long. I thought that Mikey Alfred was a kook when he suggested decks should cost $120 bucks on the 9 club but the ad for that movie made him unfathomably more kookier to me.

How do pros tolerate that dude? Why hasn’t he been kooked to infinity and beyond?

because he has money and connections, so people tolerate him. most skaters are incredibly shallow and dont mind one bit shmoozing up to a trust fund kid.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #317 on: June 30, 2021, 08:00:58 AM »
Expand Quote
I’m yet to read through all 10 pages of this thread. Saw an ad for it scrolling on Instagram last night and it was one of the worst things I’ve ever fucking seen and it was only like 30 seconds long. I thought that Mikey Alfred was a kook when he suggested decks should cost $120 bucks on the 9 club but the ad for that movie made him unfathomably more kookier to me.

How do pros tolerate that dude? Why hasn’t he been kooked to infinity and beyond?
[close]

because he has money and connections, so people tolerate him. most skaters are incredibly shallow and dont mind one bit shmoozing up to a trust fund kid.

His mom was an assistant to a has-been Hollywood producer.  There’s about as much of a chance that she had trust fund money as there is you understand what a trust fund is

OldSkater

« Reply #318 on: June 30, 2021, 08:11:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

His mom was an assistant to a has-been Hollywood producer.  There’s about as much of a chance that she had trust fund money as there is you understand what a trust fund is
you are really telling me this guy doesn't have a trust fund. in the nine club episode he mentions living in a gated neighborhood, and rapper the game is a family friend. dude's family has MONEY haha

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
« Reply #319 on: June 30, 2021, 08:14:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]
you are really telling me this guy doesn't have a trust fund. in the nine club episode he mentions living in a gated neighborhood, and rapper the game is a family friend. dude's family has MONEY haha

He probably grew up in an apartment, which in LA are typically gated neighborhoods.

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

OldSkater

« Reply #320 on: June 30, 2021, 08:15:43 AM »
also, he talks about going to private school. the average cost of private school in LA is 15k a year. if you think he doesn't have a trust fund, you are a moron.

Deputy Wendell

« Reply #321 on: June 30, 2021, 08:19:49 AM »
i'm not interested in North Hollywood, although i may inevitably give it a chance if it makes it to Netflix.

this on the other hand, was mentioned above i think, and i watched it this past weekend, and as skeptical as my old jaded ass wanted to be about it at first, it knocked me on my ass a bit and was honestly quite beautiful

Cool Ceith

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 614
  • Did someone say sassy?
« Reply #322 on: June 30, 2021, 08:26:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Mikey Alfred
[close]

Thank you for the morning laugh.
same. the timing was perfect on that  ;D

VarialDisease

• Rep: 12
« Reply #323 on: June 30, 2021, 09:40:33 AM »
Michael Alfred = Bourgeois capitalist turd.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
« Reply #324 on: June 30, 2021, 09:45:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
He probably grew up in an apartment, which in LA are typically gated neighborhoods.

All I know is that his mom worked in some capacity for former producer Robert Evans.   Robert Evans also hasn’t done dick (before he recently passed) in the past 30 years that would enable his employee to be rich enough to have a trust fund.   There is a huge difference between having a parent that has money and having a trust fund.  I believe they lived in Evans’s guest house or something like that, which explains the gated community.   

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 29
« Reply #325 on: June 30, 2021, 09:58:45 AM »
So his duechiness came from osmosis.   Trust in science.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1321
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #326 on: June 30, 2021, 11:52:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

All I know is that his mom worked in some capacity for former producer Robert Evans.   Robert Evans also hasn’t done dick (before he recently passed) in the past 30 years that would enable his employee to be rich enough to have a trust fund.   There is a huge difference between having a parent that has money and having a trust fund.  I believe they lived in Evans’s guest house or something like that, which explains the gated community.

The Kid Stays in the Guest House
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

Francis Xavier

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2202
« Reply #327 on: June 30, 2021, 12:52:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

The Kid Stays in the Guest House
Thank you for this haha

Damn I left my bubbler at my parents house

bluntfullofmid

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 0
« Reply #328 on: June 30, 2021, 01:35:27 PM »
still trying to figure out why they would name a character Adolf
"yall act like abusin' women is so bad."
- Crailtap

OldSkater

« Reply #329 on: June 30, 2021, 07:00:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

ok if he isn't rich, he really does ACT like a entitled rich douchebag for some reason