Author Topic: North Hollywood was an objectively terrible movie  (Read 29407 times)

fortunecattlesteakhouse

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 91
Re: North Hollywood was an objectively terrible movie
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2021, 04:52:45 PM »
did they talk about ig in the movie too. another riveting bloodshot weedbref camera moment for kader

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -197
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2021, 10:19:14 PM »
http://youtu.be/zi-f_J6hV-g

I mean this is the best skate movie

one of the best documentaries ever. this one is also excellent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4pFat3VTkI

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2021, 05:24:08 AM »
I will never watch anything by this group of people. Boo to Bobby for being in this, Nike money changed that man.

Imagine wearing a redbull hat with a golf shirt to film a slight variation of a trick at a spot the gonz skated 25 years ago. And that’s the stand out trick in your video?!?

Everyone knows back 180 to fakie would’ve been 5,000,000 times harder. 270 in is the safety spin. Kickflip is gnarlier, hell I would say gonz ollie is gnarlier because it was in the rain no? Not to mention he saw the spot and had the idea lil dick riders

AssMountain

• Rep: 30
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2021, 06:19:04 AM »
Why are all skate movies about the come up? Seems like a movie about a drug addicted company owner who is an amazing skater, but terrible financial planner would be a more interesting story.

Imagine if the main character was a mixed of Jim Greco’s temperament, with Jamie Thomas’ demand of others, with Kareem Campbell’s inability to pay people on time or show up to things...you would have the greatest skate movie ever.

Lords of Dogtown was absolute dog shit, but Heath Ledger's performance as a character who acts in that kind of manner is actually pretty good. As soon as he's out of the picture its awful, but yeah.

Once I was alone I just laid on the futon listening to Leonard Cohen and thinking about the other girl I liked and missed.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2021, 06:26:41 AM »
I actually like the nine club and listen to pretty much every one. Couldnt make it through his episode.

I remember listening to that thinking who is this dude and someone phoned in and was crying because he was so overwhelmed talking to him? Like how can you buy into this nonsense so hard
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2021, 06:37:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Just going to repost this wonderful gem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrHUzHWJFf0
[close]

Lord have mercy, this fucked up my whole day

Holy fuck. I knew society was headed for a collapse but I thought we had more time.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2021, 06:38:17 AM »
you people just don’t understand being a savage, bro.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2021, 06:49:03 AM »

Mikey Alfred, eat your heart out.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

Masshole

• Rep: 23
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2021, 07:02:18 AM »
http://youtu.be/zi-f_J6hV-g

I mean this is the best skate movie

every time I watch this I get so hyped to skate fast and be reckless

alex

• Rep: 34
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2021, 07:04:08 AM »
This dude tries way too hard between the clothing and trying to force his way into being some sort of movie mogul. I remember reading he was using all his celebrity friend clout to get distribution for this movie or something, because no one wanted it.
Suns out, im going skating. chow

nickpaolucci

« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2021, 07:09:29 AM »
I will never watch anything by this group of people. Boo to Bobby for being in this, Nike money changed that man.

Imagine wearing a redbull hat with a golf shirt to film a slight variation of a trick at a spot the gonz skated 25 years ago. And that’s the stand out trick in your video?!?

Everyone knows back 180 to fakie would’ve been 5,000,000 times harder. 270 in is the safety spin. Kickflip is gnarlier, hell I would say gonz ollie is gnarlier because it was in the rain no? Not to mention he saw the spot and had the idea lil dick riders

chuck core back 180'd into it in 2000 and you are derailing this thread.

ungzilla

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 979
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2021, 07:24:18 AM »
someone needs to a youtube comments deep dive to see what other legendary hammers chuck core has thrown down

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2021, 08:12:11 AM »
Several good skate documentaries out there.  I like the one about Steve Caballero, in and out of prison for drugs, now he's a pastor and still ripping.  Go Cab!  He's the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFuziI-O2yM

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2021, 08:36:23 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I’m about to derail a fat line of meth and go on a posting spree

Mike Oxwelling

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2021, 08:40:20 AM »
I wonder if he regrets talking shit on Spike Jonze?

ManimalChin

• Rep: 22
« Reply #75 on: April 22, 2021, 08:51:16 AM »
I've never even heard of this movie. I live in LA but have only been to North Hollywood like twice. It's Nowheresville.

They had that shootout in the 90s

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 546
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2021, 09:05:23 AM »
I remember thinking Paranoid Park incorporated skating in a way that felt genuine and not cringey. Wonder if Gus Van Sant can kickturn

Tear Up a Trick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 108
« Reply #77 on: April 22, 2021, 09:48:19 AM »
I remember thinking Paranoid Park incorporated skating in a way that felt genuine and not cringey. Wonder if Gus Van Sant can kickturn

Skating plays a role in this GVS movie too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BwxeOzSx8A

ballintoohard

« Reply #78 on: April 22, 2021, 10:15:47 AM »
really confused as to why you'd expect it to be anything but gutter trash.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1276
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #79 on: April 22, 2021, 10:19:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Why are all skate movies about the come up? Seems like a movie about a drug addicted company owner who is an amazing skater, but terrible financial planner would be a more interesting story.

Imagine if the main character was a mixed of Jim Greco’s temperament, with Jamie Thomas’ demand of others, with Kareem Campbell’s inability to pay people on time or show up to things...you would have the greatest skate movie ever.
[close]

Lords of Dogtown was absolute dog shit, but Heath Ledger's performance as a character who acts in that kind of manner is actually pretty good. As soon as he's out of the picture its awful, but yeah.
Just watched this again last night because I noticed it's on Prime for free. Heath is pretty much the reason to watch it even if it makes Skip Engblom look like an asshole. The skating is super anachronistic, which isn't a surprise, but the weirdest part of it is all the soundalike music. There's some music on the score that almost gets into Zep's Ramblin On put keeps pulling back. I woulda thought a big Hollywood production could pony up for the licensed tunes.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1090
« Reply #80 on: April 22, 2021, 10:31:34 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Skating plays a role in this GVS movie too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BwxeOzSx8A

He was also an executive producer on Kids. Love me some GVS.

ThisFuckingDude

• Rep: -11
« Reply #81 on: April 22, 2021, 10:45:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I’m about to derail a fat line of meth and go on a posting spree
Shit up dude and put some respect on Chuck Cores name. Chuck was the ganrliest skater ever that didn’t know anyone that could afford a camera

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #82 on: April 22, 2021, 10:49:02 AM »

this is kind of a weird take , i kinda get where you are coming from but idk. its still pretty gnar. cardiel was the first one to do in in anti hero 1998 and gonz ate shit on it trying it in the same session.

https://youtu.be/aATR2vf222k?t=509

doesnt look like its raining its just at night
ONTARIO CANADA

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2021, 11:55:27 AM »
Haven’t watched this and probably won’t. If it’s anything like mid 90’s it’s going to be cringe.

Make a movie with a good story, that involves skating, but isn’t the focus. I think that’s the only way for it to not be corny IMO

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #84 on: April 22, 2021, 12:07:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Just watched this again last night because I noticed it's on Prime for free. Heath is pretty much the reason to watch it even if it makes Skip Engblom look like an asshole. The skating is super anachronistic, which isn't a surprise, but the weirdest part of it is all the soundalike music. There's some music on the score that almost gets into Zep's Ramblin On put keeps pulling back. I woulda thought a big Hollywood production could pony up for the licensed tunes.

There’s an alternate universe where David Finches didn’t drop out of directing lords of Dogtown.    But there’s also another universe where his protege Fred Durst also didn’t.   

Mr Cheese Resurrection

« Reply #85 on: April 22, 2021, 12:14:21 PM »
South Hollywood was a way better movie hands down.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #86 on: April 22, 2021, 12:19:54 PM »
South Hollywood was a way better movie hands down.

No such place.  North Hollywood and West Hollywood are cities.  East Hollywood is kind of a neighborhood that there’s some disagreement to where it is (I’m looking at you shitty bar off Western that dares put EaHo on its storefront).  Just wanted to shoot you down because you’re a bad faith idiot

bodegaboardercrew

• Rep: 4
    • Bodega Boarder Crew podcast avatar image
« Reply #87 on: April 22, 2021, 01:14:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just going to repost this wonderful gem

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrHUzHWJFf0
[close]

Lord have mercy, this fucked up my whole day
[close]

Holy fuck. I knew society was headed for a collapse but I thought we had more time.

Minimalism is not about "taking away for the sake of taking away". Anyone would know that by studying a bit of design philosophy 101. Mikey is what happens when you give your kids participation trophies instead of educating them in the foundations of art and history.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 73
« Reply #88 on: April 22, 2021, 01:41:32 PM »
i haven’t seen it but, it’s hilarious that he named the main character after himself and then had him be play a dude that wants to hide how cool he is from his friends in order to spare their feelings... him and jonah should make out already and quit fighting over who is more smug/delusional.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #89 on: April 22, 2021, 02:04:16 PM »
i haven’t seen it but, it’s hilarious that he named the main character after himself and then had him be play a dude that wants to hide how cool he is from his friends in order to spare their feelings... him and jonah should make out already and quit fighting over who is more smug/delusional.

Ah but poor Jonah was just acting out a fantasy of not being the fat kid and being able to skate well.  It is a masturbatory exercise, but emotionally, I feel for him