Author Topic: Switch 360 flips  (Read 827 times)

CorneliusCardew

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Switch 360 flips
« on: April 16, 2021, 08:08:37 PM »
I have been trying these for a while and I have been watching so many people land them like they are nothing. I feel like I missed something somewhere.

If anyone can share any actionable tips or more abstract insights I would be very appreciative. Is there some practical or psychological trick to the trick? I can do regular ones and I have been trying to mirror those but the results have been awful.

Help
Please

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 518
Re: Switch 360 flips
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2021, 10:19:34 PM »
I need help with these too, I've landed less than 20 in my life and they're a real struggle, so take what I say with a grain of salt. But these things help me a little bit:

Get comfortable with just rolling in the switch tre position, this is one of the things I struggle with the most, just setting up for sw tres is so uncomfortable but the rest of the trick is definitely easier if you can set up for the trick comfortably.

The tre is easier to form for me if my shoulders are facing forward in the direction I'm rolling, but harder to land. If my shoulders are square (which I think is the correct way), its a bit harder to make the tre flip motion go but I'm definitely set up better to land. So play around with which way your shoulders and head are facing and find out what works.

Experiment with weight distribution, how your trucks are leaning and whether your center of gravity is more over your front foot or back foot or even etc. For tres and sw tres I think I try have a little more weight over my front foot since my feet are so far back on the board already.

Like regular tres, I feel like sw tres shouldn't take thaaat much effort if you have the right setup and weight distribution and scoop in the right direction. There must be a sweet spot or pressure point of sorts where it just works, I haven't figured it out yet. But a lot of my friends do them with little to no effort and it just seems to work so I guess its just a matter of experimentation and practice.

If anyone that can actually do these has any tips that would be great lol

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 08:03:12 AM »
Pop THEN scoop.
Make sure your back foot positioning is mirrored EXACTLY how you do it normal stance.
Make sure you’re scooping the direction you’re rolling, as opposed to scooping behind you (impossible motion rather than shuv motion)
Don’t wind up your shoulders
Jump straight up and keep shoulders square by staring at your front leg  (the point right above the knee). Another strategy is trying to keep your head centered between both legs
I also sit back a bit like regular tre but not too much
Keep a little weight in the front foot when you go to scoop, (but not much) so you can really guide the board and watch it wrap back around.
I also find this trick easier with the board backwards. So popping off the nose. This is because I prefer shorter wheelbases I think
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 10:01:55 AM by Blueabyssofthisss »

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2021, 08:46:30 AM »
I usually recommend:

- learn nollie 360 flips on flat (much easier than switch, you don't even really need nollie flips either and can just throw it around);

- learn switch 360 flips on a skatepark bank, because on that terrain they work exactly like nollie 360 flips on flat, so you essentially ride up switch and then 'nollie' 360 flip back down - that will teach you the right posture to remain centered over the board and also help with adjusting the scoop;

- learn switch 360 flips on slick flatground where you won't be bothered by sticky or rocky terrain getting in the way of your experimentations; friction can really fuck you up on that trick and you don't want that while in the process of learning it, you want terrain that will be a non-factor;

And usually when you get there and land your first few, it sort of clicks regardless of terrain and becomes as easy as nollie 360 flip - until you sort of forget about them for a month and have to relearn them from scratch again, which must have happened to me maybe four times in 20+ years - every time I get that trick back I'm so stoked like a little kid that it becomes all I do since 1/ it's fun and 2/ I know it's probably leaving the minute I go back to different shit - been an on-point prediction every time so far.

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2021, 05:07:09 PM »
A couple more tips I forgot

Don’t get your feet too close together when setting up. This makes it way harder to balance and you’re likely to only get half of the equation right (good scoop but bad flick, or vice versa).

Try to keep that front shoulder stiff at all costs. When I was learning this I could stick it a lot, but my shoulder would turn slightly right as I landed which would cause me to step off.

This leads me to the last point. Keep your hands/arms in check. It’s tempting to use your arms to consciously or subconsciously help get power in to your scoop. Letting your arms fly around also causes your shoulders to be thrown off in midair and makes landing awkward. I pretend I’m antwuan when I try this trick and it really seems to help.

Don’t forget to pop THEN scoop. That always seems to be the best tip for learning any 360 flip variation.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 05:24:44 AM by Blueabyssofthisss »

corto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -115
  • Chewy, Worrest, Trahan, Tuna, Hjalte, TJ
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2021, 06:01:34 AM »
Just do a shit load of bulgarian split squats with your switch front leg. Once you get that leg strong like your regular front leg is, switch 360 flips come really easy.

Drucksache

• Rep: -6
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2021, 05:28:38 AM »
I usually recommend:

- learn nollie 360 flips on flat (much easier than switch, you don't even really need nollie flips either and can just throw it around);

- learn switch 360 flips on a skatepark bank, because on that terrain they work exactly like nollie 360 flips on flat, so you essentially ride up switch and then 'nollie' 360 flip back down - that will teach you the right posture to remain centered over the board and also help with adjusting the scoop;

- learn switch 360 flips on slick flatground where you won't be bothered by sticky or rocky terrain getting in the way of your experimentations; friction can really fuck you up on that trick and you don't want that while in the process of learning it, you want terrain that will be a non-factor;

And usually when you get there and land your first few, it sort of clicks regardless of terrain and becomes as easy as nollie 360 flip - until you sort of forget about them for a month and have to relearn them from scratch again, which must have happened to me maybe four times in 20+ years - every time I get that trick back I'm so stoked like a little kid that it becomes all I do since 1/ it's fun and 2/ I know it's probably leaving the minute I go back to different shit - been an on-point prediction every time so far.

^this. Plus try to keep your shoulders square, sit back and jump a little bit parallel. This trick is also a lot about confidence . You have to really try landing it. Half ass flipping around will not yield any good results as going for it feels entirely different from just pretend-flipping it.

Good luck!