Author Topic: Best Value Cities  (Read 3804 times)

LordManHammer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -328
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Best Value Cities
« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2021, 05:43:56 PM »
Providence baby! So many spots and significantly cheaper than Boston or New York
Do you remember that diy skate spot in a potato warehouse? It’s outside the city.......
Dueces Bitch's

Crailslideyoface

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 38
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2021, 11:54:54 PM »
Little late to the game, but Kansas City is cheap, has a million spots and a super good shop/scene
I wanna crap in a box just to mail it to you so your bitch ass can smell it

fakie butt drop

• Rep: 12
  • it is what it is
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2021, 02:31:45 AM »
if you're used to north american rent:minimum wage ratio, prett much all of aus is easy as fuck to manage.

Tons of spots in the main cities too. skate year round. why the fuck not.

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2021, 06:52:33 AM »
Inkster mi
I grew up right next to Inskter and I would gnar you if I could.

GauchoAmigo

• Rep: 66
« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2021, 10:35:22 AM »
For Canada, it's MTL by a long-shot. The only other two great cities in Canada are Toronto and Vancouver which are both a fortune to live in and saving up to actually buy a house without family support/wealthy parents is a pipedream for most unless you want to move to the distant suburbs or have a household income in the 200k CAD or higher.
This is all true, but you left out the need to be bilingual in order to work in MTL - something to consider.

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2021, 03:49:38 PM »
if you're used to north american rent:minimum wage ratio, prett much all of aus is easy as fuck to manage.

i was thinking about this recently. i've always heard that there is some innternational agreement that makes it super easy for australians to get a visa in the US. is the reverse also true?

hairdo

• Rep: -15
« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2021, 04:05:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
i was thinking about this recently. i've always heard that there is some innternational agreement that makes it super easy for australians to get a visa in the US. is the reverse also true?

there is a special visa for Australians to work in the USA but there is no reciprocal visa

idk what that guy is talking about tho, Australian cities rank among the worlds most unaffordable. even if you have a housing hookup, food, transport and consumer goods cost double cost there and Aussie dollars are only worth 0.78 USD

frankiesomethin

• Rep: 19
    • SkateVideoSite avatar image
« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2021, 06:45:39 PM »
For Canada, it's MTL by a long-shot. The only other two great cities in Canada are Toronto and Vancouver which are both a fortune to live in and saving up to actually buy a house without family support/wealthy parents is a pipedream for most unless you want to move to the distant suburbs or have a household income in the 200k CAD or higher.

I've lived in the Rosemont neighborhood of Montréal for 5 years now and I don't think this city is affordable when it comes to buying a home on the island. My in-laws bought the triplex we live in now for $150k in the late 90s and last year it was valued over $800k. My wife and I are probably moving to Rochester, NY (where I'm from) at some point where a 3 bedroom house with a full attic and basement and 2 car garage in a decent neighborhood in the city is under $200k.

This is all true, but you left out the need to be bilingual in order to work in MTL - something to consider.

You don't NEED to be bilingual, but it is preferred and it's definitely in anyone's best interest to learn basic French before moving to Québec. In West Island and other neighborhoods west of downtown you'd think you were in any other part of Canada. I've driven around neighborhoods on island that even have English "Stop" signs and not French "Arrêt" signs. This is a province with language laws that demand businesses like Starbucks add "Café" on their signs, so how they get away with stop signs in NDG or wherever the hell I was is beyond me. I'm not complaining though. Without French in QC, Canadian culture is nearly indistinguishable from American culture, except for the daily mass shootings and all that awful shit.
DM me if you wanna help us out over at SkateVideoSite.com

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2021, 07:11:20 PM »
My wife and I are probably moving to Rochester, NY (where I'm from) at some point where a 3 bedroom house with a full attic and basement and 2 car garage in a decent neighborhood in the city is under $200k.

Not right now it isn't.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #69 on: April 20, 2021, 07:48:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is Pittsburgh livable if you don't know how to drive and aren't going to learn how?
[close]
Is any American city besides New York?
(don't tell me SF you want a car there BART sucks)
[close]

you can easily live in Chicago without a car

I've been living in Chicago for about 7 years now, and rarely use my car. I might be the minority, but I really like Divvy bikes. I wouldn't use it now, but public transit is solid.

frankiesomethin

• Rep: 19
    • SkateVideoSite avatar image
« Reply #70 on: April 20, 2021, 03:57:52 PM »
Expand Quote
My wife and I are probably moving to Rochester, NY (where I'm from) at some point where a 3 bedroom house with a full attic and basement and 2 car garage in a decent neighborhood in the city is under $200k.

[close]
Not right now it isn't.

Maybe I exaggerated how common a home EXACTLY like that is in Rochester, but I found a place that meets all the criteria I mentioned except it has a 1 car garage, not 2. Another place a few doors down has all that but a shed instead of a 2 car garage. And Swillburg is a decent, even desired part of town to live in. I'd love to be that close to Ming's. I'd be eating crab rangoon all day erryday.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/127-Asbury-St-Rochester,-NY,-14620_rb/30889467_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/139-Asbury-St-Rochester,-NY,-14620_rb/30889469_zpid/
DM me if you wanna help us out over at SkateVideoSite.com

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2021, 10:36:44 PM »
I’d recommend St. Louis to anyone looking to do a lot with a little. I’ve had friends with 1 bedrooms as low as like $450, although the way to go is to rent a house with some friends.

Great skate scene, very affordable, and there is some cool history to the city. There is also a lot of fun stuff to do for free, and it’s one of those cities where you can be skating downtown all day and then drive a little ways out of the city and go swimming in a lake or a river.

The only knock on it for me was there wasn’t a lot of exciting job opportunities.

brycickle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 155
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2021, 12:04:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
Not right now it isn't.
[close]

Maybe I exaggerated how common a home EXACTLY like that is in Rochester, but I found a place that meets all the criteria I mentioned except it has a 1 car garage, not 2. Another place a few doors down has all that but a shed instead of a 2 car garage. And Swillburg is a decent, even desired part of town to live in. I'd love to be that close to Ming's. I'd be eating crab rangoon all day erryday.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/127-Asbury-St-Rochester,-NY,-14620_rb/30889467_zpid/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/139-Asbury-St-Rochester,-NY,-14620_rb/30889469_zpid/
We're trying to move right now. The market is insane. Almost everything is going for at least 20 over asking, with everyone waiving inspections and appraisal contingencies. We offered on one house starting at 230, with escalation. Our agent came back to us when the bid was up to 270. Seller's realtor knew the house wouldn't appraise for over 250, but the people we were up against were willing to pay that 20 out of pocket. On the plus side, we paid 85 for the house we're in and only have 15 left on it. We'll probably get 140-150 out of it.

You and the D00D have turned this thread into a horrible head-on-collision between a short bus full of regular kids and a van full of paraplegics.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2021, 12:30:57 AM »
Both those houses look alright I really like that style of housing but I reckon you’d wanna cut a sliding door in the back to like, bring the backyard in, just for barbecues and shit

What does something like those ones rent for?
listen to cosmic psychos

hairdo

• Rep: -15
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2021, 08:47:46 AM »
unfortunately the best value city for a skater is phoenix