Author Topic: Slap Sucks  (Read 6130 times)

Jehoshaphat Augustus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 286
  • And you better believe: they're ALL silk
Re: Slap Sucks
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2021, 09:04:33 PM »
I got beef with Brian sumner and it’s onsite for that fat fucking red coat.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2021, 09:05:31 PM »

Oh shit, the Cajun Gypsy does own a shirt

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2021, 09:35:40 PM »
Expand Quote
I know, a thousand topics already exist on this topic, which should say something in itself.

You claim to support the mental-health of individuals, yet call people Horse-Face and fetishize TK's whateva-tha-fuck-his-mind-is-doing.

The second a person steps forward to embrace this culture (Rob Brink offering money to charities in exchange for banter) they have a 6 page thread of demonization.

Instead of responses I receive anonymous downvotes. Even Reddit offers better interactions.

Either this place is full of fucking complete idiots (which is honesty and I bet scientifically the most likely answer) or it's full of the world's wildest trolls.

I love, I mean, I absolutely LOVEEEEE talking anonymous beer-fueled shit, but there is no rhyme or reason to SLAP.

Wait, is that the point, Chaotic Neutral?

Shit... still
[close]

Thanks for having the balls to say this. Appreciate you. So many full-of-shit witch hunting clowns on here. The thread about me today and the lack of people defending me is proof positive that very few people here support actual mental health, instead, they knowingly and gratuitously contribute to possibly worsening it, which is one of the main reasons I am keeping it going. To show everyone what it's really like. Just like when I kicked back on Weekend Buzz and let Forrest be a raging asshole to me for 90 minutes.

Woah, hang on. As someone who has worked with, advocated with, and has deep, meaningful friendships with folks who fall somewhere on the spectrum outside neurotypical/neurodivergent, I'm curious what you feel is the reason anyone should be defending you, for anything. Please explain what needs defending? As for people supporting and advocating for mental health on SLAP, as a male mental health practitioner and client, I see the current iteration of the SLAP boards as an inclusive and overall supportive space as an online, skateboarding, male oriented space there is. It's not perfect, but in the past 18 months or so that I've had this most recent SLAP account (been around since 2001/02) I've witnessed numerous instances of people helping one another move through their grief, depression, loss, and pain. there's most recently been no room allowed for overt white supremacy and bigotry. If you're acting the fool, a natural consequence is to be treated as such.

And you're joking about Forrest, maybe? It's been highly speculated that he falls in the neurodivergent spectrum.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

EXTRA SPICY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 323
  • Low Scovilles
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2021, 09:47:02 PM »
We need Malto to release the pic of Biebel drunk in an elevator with his wiener hanging out.

Wheelbyte

• Rep: -34
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2021, 10:35:50 PM »
suck it up haters
you bully boys have blood on your hands

all that hate that used to be put on
gays and blacks and whatever
which would now get you in trouble
for online hate crime
is now funnelled toward kooks
as the hate-crime laws
dont extend to neurological divergence
yet

But the day is coming and you will be cancelled
just like JJ and all the other macho dorks

Welcome to hellride
Satans little bitches

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2021, 11:40:16 PM »
Hey brink, sorry guys were giving you guff, but it doesn't take away from the fact that this place actually does have a positive impact on some people's lives and that the mental health thread is a great life line for users. This forum is like the world around us (we live in a society) and there are some cool cats on here and there are definitely some real heels. I just want say that yeah, you're right, this place does suck and fuck everyone on here

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 647
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2021, 12:27:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Slap sucks
[close]

We know  8)

What do we do now? Just stop showing up? Or, do we create more threads on SLAP to declare that it sucks?

If we all agree SLAP sucks will OP then have to like it cause he doesn't like most of us?

Quote from: ChuckRamone
I love when people bring up world hunger. It makes everything meaningless.
"That guy is double parked."
"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2021, 01:12:29 AM »
I guess I expect too much from people who claim to be so down for mental health awareness.

Rob, dude, I'm sorry some of the dudes on here take cheap shots at you. I'm sorry you sometimes think I'm coming after you when it is really I disagree with your view on some things, which is very different than not backing you. And, I'm sorry that the cheap shots that have been taken at you negatively color normal discourse and disagreements.

However, a few key things I think might help you and everyone else understand the banter that happens with you is:
1) you come on here and I think most of the dudes appreciate you coming on here. There aren't many dudes who made it into the industry who bother to interact with the rabble. This is going to get people excited.

2) it often seems you play along with it and are part of the banter (and you've taken some shots back...including a few shots at me that I've interpreted as mean)

3) as a public figure you have way more visibility  than anyone else on here. Public figures are going to be criticized way more than normal people. This is a side effect of your position in the industry and not just staying behind the curtain. No one is criticizing Skerto (the TM (former TM?) at Oakley) cause no one knows he exists.

4) and most importantly, you have way more power than anyone else on the board. No one is asking our opinions and no one is promoting them. Our voices don't carry the way yours does. Anything you say off the board is going to have a greater impact than anything anyone says here.

You come down and hang out with the rabble, which is cool. But, remember, we all know no one gives a fuck what we have to say and there is a huge power dynamic here...one you've already won. Don't let it go to your head, but try to remember the power dynamic when interpreting any posts. Your voice matters and no one listens to our shit. No matter how well we say something no one gives a fuck what the rabble thinks.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2021, 01:20:14 AM by TheLurper »

"Who cares? There are people starving to death! Besides, how does that affect you? Does it lessen the joy of parking?

Wheelbyte

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2021, 03:17:16 AM »
time to chill
honesty and legal precautions make for uncomfortable bed mates
the chief has held out a peace offering and an apology
the change has been seeded
well done you!

make sure it gets sun and is watered
have a beer together and plan for the future

time to chill

Plot Twist
Distro's take note:
all those newbies who sell their first boards on ebay after deciding skating is not for them?

many who quit skating will now stay on as the caustic anti kook vibe disappears from skateboarding
and their now regular spend will put more money in the pockets of those who used to hate on the spenders

gotta love the marketing strategy that has been in place all these years....
"buy our products you fucking kook!"

sketchyrider

« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2021, 05:55:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Hey brink, sorry guys were giving you guff, but it doesn't take away from the fact that this place actually does have a positive impact on some people's lives and that the mental health thread is a great life line for users. This forum is like the world around us (we live in a society) and there are some cool cats on here and there are definitely some real heels. I just want say that yeah, you're right, this place does suck and fuck everyone on here
[close]

I certainly get it. I guess I expect too much from people who claim to be so down for mental health awareness. Thanks dude!

for what it's worth, a lot of normal people aren't equipped to explore the topic of mental health in regards to providing guidance, even with good intentions.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2021, 08:29:29 AM »
OP, perhaps you could look at it from a group psychology perspective.  Humans are prone to act in some fucked up ways and slap is basically the Stanford prison experiment but with skaters.  You mourn not only slap, but the human condition itself.

You’re staring into the yawning abyss and pondering its depths.  You ponder the nature of infinity.  You try to comprehend the sheer size of the universe.  You know that the lightyears of seemingly empty space between celestial bodies is easily dwarfed by the empty space within each of our souls.

https://youtu.be/FYJ1dbyDcrI

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2021, 08:31:00 AM »
Expand Quote
I guess I expect too much from people who claim to be so down for mental health awareness.
[close]

Rob, dude, I'm sorry some of the dudes on here take cheap shots at you. I'm sorry you sometimes think I'm coming after you when it is really I disagree with your view on some things, which is very different than not backing you. And, I'm sorry that the cheap shots that have been taken at you negatively color normal discourse and disagreements.

However, a few key things I think might help you and everyone else understand the banter that happens with you is:
1) you come on here and I think most of the dudes appreciate you coming on here. There aren't many dudes who made it into the industry who bother to interact with the rabble. This is going to get people excited.

2) it often seems you play along with it and are part of the banter (and you've taken some shots back...including a few shots at me that I've interpreted as mean)

3) as a public figure you have way more visibility  than anyone else on here. Public figures are going to be criticized way more than normal people. This is a side effect of your position in the industry and not just staying behind the curtain. No one is criticizing Skerto (the TM (former TM?) at Oakley) cause no one knows he exists.

4) and most importantly, you have way more power than anyone else on the board. No one is asking our opinions and no one is promoting them. Our voices don't carry the way yours does. Anything you say off the board is going to have a greater impact than anything anyone says here.

You come down and hang out with the rabble, which is cool. But, remember, we all know no one gives a fuck what we have to say and there is a huge power dynamic here...one you've already won. Don't let it go to your head, but try to remember the power dynamic when interpreting any posts. Your voice matters and no one listens to our shit. No matter how well we say something no one gives a fuck what the rabble thinks.

wow, deep pull. he's not the TM any longer, he got let go a while ago in a restructure, along with a bunch of other folks there.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Frank and Fred

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2021, 08:47:46 AM »
Fred Gall's instagram account rules these days.

LordManHammer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -323
  • (0_o) whatever dog you probably suck at it
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2021, 09:29:36 AM »
This ain’t it chief, focus your account.
Dueces Bitch's

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2021, 01:10:31 PM »
Damn did brink catch a block? It might be for his own good, he replied to me three minutes after my post, thus place probably isn't good for him

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2021, 02:37:45 PM »
Damn did brink catch a block? It might be for his own good, he replied to me three minutes after my post, thus place probably isn't good for him

If blocking occurred on the same standard for everyone, I'd say he was asking for it. He quickly replied to a post I made in this thread last night, mocking me and what I said/do in regard to mental health support and Forrest Edwards. The reply was deleted when I popped on this AM. I don't know much about Rob Brink other than what I've read the past couple days and I imagine some of these aggro replies don't look so great for a personal "brand."
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

snickers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • do you think this is a game?
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2021, 03:02:42 PM »
I know, a thousand topics already exist on this topic, which should say something in itself.

You claim to support the mental-health of individuals, yet call people Horse-Face and fetishize TK's whateva-tha-fuck-his-mind-is-doing.

The second a person steps forward to embrace this culture (Rob Brink offering money to charities in exchange for banter) they have a 6 page thread of demonization.

Instead of responses I receive anonymous downvotes. Even Reddit offers better interactions.

Either this place is full of fucking complete idiots (which is honesty and I bet scientifically the most likely answer) or it's full of the world's wildest trolls.

I love, I mean, I absolutely LOVEEEEE talking anonymous beer-fueled shit, but there is no rhyme or reason to SLAP.

Wait, is that the point, Chaotic Neutral?

Shit... still
go back to r/skateboarding you fuckin neek
fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

TheLurper

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2021, 07:36:05 PM »
Expand Quote
No one is criticizing Skerto (the TM (former TM?) at Oakley) cause no one knows he exists.
[close]

wow, deep pull. he's not the TM any longer, he got let go a while ago in a restructure, along with a bunch of other folks there.

Damn, I'm impressed with the update on an individual that I assumed no one would know (I don't even know how to spell his name properly). Do you know where that dude ended up?

I can't imagine finding anything better than that cushy, but kooky TM job.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2021, 11:35:21 PM »
so what

KBizzle

• Rep: -18
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2021, 12:20:55 AM »

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2021, 08:07:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
No one is criticizing Skerto (the TM (former TM?) at Oakley) cause no one knows he exists.
[close]

[close]

Damn, I'm impressed with the update on an individual that I assumed no one would know (I don't even know how to spell his name properly). Do you know where that dude ended up?

I can't imagine finding anything better than that cushy, but kooky TM job.

haha i was pretty shocked to see his name.

he's either in germany now or headed there soon with his family. late career shift to electrical engineering if i remember right

Ms. Tamzarian

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 727
  • I like dork tricks :/
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2021, 08:17:56 AM »
As someone who is flawed and imperfect but has tried my best to create a space where people can be honest about how much they're suffering & receive love without judgment, it makes me really irked to see people lumping SLAP into a vague complaint about what Sneaks wisely (and with trademark wit) summarized as a parallel to the human condition.

THAT'S a mouthful and I apologize, but let me try and say it simpler.

It's okay to hate certain parts of SLAP. There are trolls & dicks in any community, SLAP or not - online or IRL. But that doesn't mean there AREN'T people who care & people who want to help each other, on the flip side of the same coin.

It's valid & important to criticize harmful behavior, fuck yes it is! But, before you tank the entire ship, consider your target & consider the impressionable people who are getting help from the same community it's convenient enough for you to shit on; let me be clear that SLAP is imperfect. But so are you. So am I.

I don't have a solution here - NO one does. But this shit happens every 2 months at least, and then the people complaining just dip. And meanwhile, the ones really doing the work anonymously most of the time are left to pick up the pieces. There's nothing constructive or radical about shitting on everyone at the same time.

Okay end rant

DaleSr

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2021, 08:45:34 AM »
As someone who is flawed and imperfect but has tried my best to create a space where people can be honest about how much they're suffering & receive love without judgment, it makes me really irked to see people lumping SLAP into a vague complaint about what Sneaks wisely (and with trademark wit) summarized as a parallel to the human condition.

THAT'S a mouthful and I apologize, but let me try and say it simpler.

It's okay to hate certain parts of SLAP. There are trolls & dicks in any community, SLAP or not - online or IRL. But that doesn't mean there AREN'T people who care & people who want to help each other, on the flip side of the same coin.

It's valid & important to criticize harmful behavior, fuck yes it is! But, before you tank the entire ship, consider your target & consider the impressionable people who are getting help from the same community it's convenient enough for you to shit on; let me be clear that SLAP is imperfect. But so are you. So am I.

I don't have a solution here - NO one does. But this shit happens every 2 months at least, and then the people complaining just dip. And meanwhile, the ones really doing the work anonymously most of the time are left to pick up the pieces. There's nothing constructive or radical about shitting on everyone at the same time.

Okay end rant

Armin, you're a beautiful ray of sunshine piercing through this dark and swampy pit

slappies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1204
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2021, 08:49:48 AM »
Counterpoint, SLAP is cool.  8)
CRACK RAIDER RAZOR

mushroom slice

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2021, 12:56:16 PM »
Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your friends, up there on the sanctuary moon, are walking into a trap, as is your rebel fleet. It was I who allowed the alliance to know the location of the shield generator. It is quite safe from your pitiful little band. An entire legion of my best troops await them. Oh, I'm afraid the deflector shield will be quite operational when your friends arrive

culdesac

• Rep: -9
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2021, 01:09:56 PM »
I agree with Armin and have found that different sections of Slap have different attitudes.

As far as I can tell, if you look at useless wooden toy banter or photos/videos, the majority of the attitudes are going to fall into the liberal progressive side of things. People with conservative views aren't going to be particularly welcomed, especially if they post something that is challenging or argumentative (or trolling), though I understand that many times from their point of view they are trying to call out behavior that they see as wrong. It's an interesting mix where both sides feel their view is the correct one and the other is brainwashed.

But then if you go over to the Shoes and Gear thread, we have the greatest resource on the internet for skateboard gear knowledge and folks are more than happy to help each other out. I have learned so much from that section alone and am super grateful for it. Similarly, the health and wellness thread is very inspiring and helpful.

Ultimately I think it all comes down to reading the room properly and knowing why you're on here and what you want to get out of it.

Fhk

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2021, 03:49:21 PM »
I agree with Armin and have found that different sections of Slap have different attitudes.

As far as I can tell, if you look at useless wooden toy banter or photos/videos, the majority of the attitudes are going to fall into the liberal progressive side of things. People with conservative views aren't going to be particularly welcomed, especially if they post something that is challenging or argumentative (or trolling), though I understand that many times from their point of view they are trying to call out behavior that they see as wrong. It's an interesting mix where both sides feel their view is the correct one and the other is brainwashed.

But then if you go over to the Shoes and Gear thread, we have the greatest resource on the internet for skateboard gear knowledge and folks are more than happy to help each other out. I have learned so much from that section alone and am super grateful for it. Similarly, the health and wellness thread is very inspiring and helpful.

Ultimately I think it all comes down to reading the room properly and knowing why you're on here and what you want to get out of it.
This is extremely accurate. It should be taken down immediately.

Wheelbyte

« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2021, 04:41:19 PM »
I've been doing some research lately on family dynamics and roles that are assigned to each member in the family. Why do so many families have a 'Black Sheep' or 'Scapegoat?' What need does that particular position fill? Is it valid?

I discovered that the Scapegoat is usually a member of a dysfunctional family unit. This person is almost always a very strong family member with a very caring nature. Personality traits that can open the door to being recruited as the 'Scapegoat' are inner strength, truth-telling, capacity for caring.....

from   https://www.dailystrength.org/group/family-scapegoats/discussion/the-scapegoat-is-the-strongest

cky enthusiast

« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2021, 04:50:40 PM »

Fhk

« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2021, 04:56:08 PM »
That's the signature I was looking for.