Author Topic: Single Setup Slappers  (Read 4861 times)

JANUS

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
Re: Single Setup Slappers
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2021, 07:53:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I have dismantled my quiver and have built a single setup. A Pal reminded me of my constant interest in a 9" popsicle setup. And I also sought wisdom of another Pal that has done this same thing recently. So I built one and made it out of everything I really wanted. This is going to be my one and only so it better click.. because I was getting anxiety having a few different options, but I still have anxiety at the moment. Not being able to afford skate shit earlier in life does a fucking number on the brain.
[close]

this is kind of where i'm at. i thought i would like a bunch of different boards for different circumstances, and it was fun dicking around trying different things, but skateboarding is heavy on muscle-memory and i wonder if i'm just doing myself a disservice. plus all the boards take up space.

biggest problem, and i see other people run into it, is the wheels. it seems hard to find a wheel that goes in a smooth park and crusty streets.

thanks to all who have been sharing. feel free to post up if you spend most of your time on one setup, not trying to be real exclusionary here.
[close]

I’m hoping to try out some oj nomads or spitfire 97du if and when I find them, but honestly, shit is so crusty where I live I doubt it will work as an all city solution.
[close]

i've been reading up on every pals report on 95/97a wheels cause i'm curious too, but i think some crust is so extreme you just gotta go for cruiser wheels.

i'm looking in the opposite direction though, i just want something a touch softer than bones spfs cause they are so dog shit in the streets, feels weird buying "street formula" wheels when i spend so much time in the park though.

I feel the same. I had one set of spf that I retired because it felt like skating on ice or something. Like super slippery, but they also vibrated my legs into numbness.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2021, 08:36:15 AM »
Multiple setups? I am old, but I am not that old....

I skate street, tranny and park almost equally. I have an 8.25 medium concave deck of a small local brand, standart indy's, powell mini logo bearings, bones stf 55mm 99A. It is pretty much an allround setup. I like it!

I'd like to have mutiple setups, but I have always been too poor to treat myself to more than one setup. I have also observed in my friends that the more setups they own the less time they do spend aktually skating.

Hubba Bo-Tep

• Rep: 43
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2021, 09:21:07 AM »
I'm old man intent on blowing up his knees re-learning basic flatground shit on a single 8 x 31.66 x 14"wb setup with Indy 149s and Spit F4 OG Classics 55mm 99a. 

GlenSuggittsflexfit

« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2021, 10:14:33 AM »
I have dismantled my quiver and have built a single setup. A Pal reminded me of my constant interest in a 9" popsicle setup. And I also sought wisdom of another Pal that has done this same thing recently. So I built one and made it out of everything I really wanted. This is going to be my one and only so it better click.. because I was getting anxiety having a few different options, but I still have anxiety at the moment. Not being able to afford skate shit earlier in life does a fucking number on the brain.
yup^, I dismantled my street set up (8.38 dlx 14.5 wb indy 149 fh, f4 99a classics 54mm) Just sticking to the big ass board: creature 8.8 wilkins vx 14.5 wb, classic 55s,  56mm f4 99a classics, mix of swiss\reds ceramics. I needed to get over the fact that I skate differently than when I was 18 and just because I replicated the setup I would like to skate then (sub 149s for 139s/ f4s for stfs) its not going to bring my teenage flick back.

Edit: I still have a fat cruiser and zip zingerish thing.

Numeral

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -20
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2021, 01:56:37 PM »

I got my shit under control, same setup for street/tranny.

8.5 DLX or Quasi
Indy 149 standard
Spitfire F4 conical fulls 54mm
bones bearings

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2021, 02:03:17 PM »
8.25 alien
old ace 44s
dialtone conical 54mm
spitfire cheapshots
jessup

i barely skate transition and this works for me best on everything else. it doesn't work on tranny because nothing does for me, i can lipslide a qp but can't even axle stall properly and i've been trying to figure them out for the last 10 years.
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

RossDailey

• Rep: -54
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2021, 10:44:09 PM »
I was recently pestered into 'trying new things' when it came to my setup & that was one of the most infuriating experiences of my skateboarding life.

Everything from bushings to wheel durometer to truck kingpins this one dude would not shut the fuck up about.

Now i'm back to a fully dialed primary setup
8.125 Quasi w/ Jessup
Indy 144 hollows w/ med hard bushings
Bones v4 52 (99 duro)
Bones 'Big Balls' Bearings

I have a 2nd setup, but I've stopped riding it as it needs to be fully dismantled for keeper parts & said dude who pestered me might find the remnants of the setup at the skatepark.

TLDR; if you have your setup dialed.... don't fuck w/ it.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 01:20:35 PM by RossDailey »

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2021, 06:10:06 AM »
always been a one setup guy, for the longest time it was 8.5 and 149s but i've sized down recently. currently:

8.25 blank purple stain - 8.25 x 32 x 14.25 i think, havent skated it yet
venture 5.6
bones spf v5s, were 54s i think theyre about 50 now
mini logos, jessup, maybe hardware

what spurred me to drop sizes was the fact england had 3 lockdowns back to back, and maybe it was just me but when you're not skating for months on end then get back to it, flipping something in the 8.6/8.5 region is a struggle to get tricks back so i went to 8.375, then an 8.25. coupled with the ventures, my flip tricks feel a lot better.

not normally a blanks guy either, dont know a thing about the wood etc but im bitter as fuck at the fact i cracked a TOA deck after 5/6 sessions on a fucking fs boardslide. came to the realization that if im really skating constantly, a deck will be done for me by about a month regardless of brand or woodshop.

sketchyrider

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2021, 07:35:02 AM »
always been a one setup guy, for the longest time it was 8.5 and 149s but i've sized down recently. currently:

8.25 blank purple stain - 8.25 x 32 x 14.25 i think, havent skated it yet
venture 5.6
bones spf v5s, were 54s i think theyre about 50 now
mini logos, jessup, maybe hardware

what spurred me to drop sizes was the fact england had 3 lockdowns back to back, and maybe it was just me but when you're not skating for months on end then get back to it, flipping something in the 8.6/8.5 region is a struggle to get tricks back so i went to 8.375, then an 8.25. coupled with the ventures, my flip tricks feel a lot better.

not normally a blanks guy either, dont know a thing about the wood etc but im bitter as fuck at the fact i cracked a TOA deck after 5/6 sessions on a fucking fs boardslide. came to the realization that if im really skating constantly, a deck will be done for me by about a month regardless of brand or woodshop.

are you mostly a park dude or do you actually roll on those spfs in the street

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2021, 08:02:39 AM »
bit of both, more street these days - no issues with rolling on streets here and im in the uk where streets/spots are pretty rough.

CannerSpaghetti

« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2021, 10:40:00 AM »
I have one setup because I'm a broke college kid :)

Krooked Price Point 8.5 14.25wb

Indy Hollow 149 (good ATV truck)

Satori 53mm (just ordered some 53mm SML for when these Satoris get too small/get a bad flatspot. Been trying out all the wheel brands one-by-one cuz I wanna skate somethin other than Spits)

Super Reds

Mob

ManimalChin

• Rep: 22
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2021, 10:58:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

this is kind of where i'm at. i thought i would like a bunch of different boards for different circumstances, and it was fun dicking around trying different things, but skateboarding is heavy on muscle-memory and i wonder if i'm just doing myself a disservice. plus all the boards take up space.

biggest problem, and i see other people run into it, is the wheels. it seems hard to find a wheel that goes in a smooth park and crusty streets.

thanks to all who have been sharing. feel free to post up if you spend most of your time on one setup, not trying to be real exclusionary here.
[close]

I’m hoping to try out some oj nomads or spitfire 97du if and when I find them, but honestly, shit is so crusty where I live I doubt it will work as an all city solution.
[close]

i've been reading up on every pals report on 95/97a wheels cause i'm curious too, but i think some crust is so extreme you just gotta go for cruiser wheels.

i'm looking in the opposite direction though, i just want something a touch softer than bones spfs cause they are so dog shit in the streets, feels weird buying "street formula" wheels when i spend so much time in the park though.

Try something like Slimeballs 60mm 95/97a for both park and street. Might be bigger and wider than what you want or used to, but it does everything and goes over nasty bits well.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2021, 12:02:13 PM »
Somewhat related: how many of you keep a stack of a few decks on hand vs. how many of you just have your board that you're skating and only get a new one when you need it?

Trying to do the latter, but my instinct has always been to just get one I like whenever I see it. I think it has been amplified by COVID-related supply chain issues. I sold of most of my stack and just have my next board and that is it, but the temptation to keep buying is strong.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2021, 12:21:02 PM »
Somewhat related: how many of you keep a stack of a few decks on hand vs. how many of you just have your board that you're skating and only get a new one when you need it?

Trying to do the latter, but my instinct has always been to just get one I like whenever I see it. I think it has been amplified by COVID-related supply chain issues. I sold of most of my stack and just have my next board and that is it, but the temptation to keep buying is strong.

Right now I have a stack of 9 decks. 7 of them will definitely be wall boards. Not sure about the other 2 yet.

In my defense, I am looking for the perfect deck as I never had money as a kid. Now grown up, good job and all that blabla.
IG: @flowterspace

Fhk

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2021, 02:45:55 PM »

1- I couldn't even make it a week with only one setup..it did look good on paper though
2- I bought a shit ton of decks when I saw the prices rising. This I do not regret.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1274
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2021, 02:56:06 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

1- I couldn't even make it a week with only one setup..it did look good on paper though
2- I bought a shit ton of decks when I saw the prices rising. This I do not regret.
Oh no! I thought we were in this together  :'(

FS_Overcrook

• Rep: 10
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2021, 03:18:39 PM »
I've only ever ridden the same setup for about 6 years now:

Girl/Chocolate G027 (8.25" x 14" WB x 31.75") or DLX 8.28" x 14.12" WB x 31.7"
ACE Classic 44 (going to switch to AF1 44 soon)
Bones Swiss (currently trying the Bronson Ceramics)
Jessup
Shorty 1" Phillip
Spitfire OG Classics 54mm
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 03:26:22 PM by FS_Overcrook »

Fhk

« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2021, 03:27:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Oh no! I thought we were in this together  :'(
;D In my defense I have absolutely no intentions of skating the original "single setup" again. Now I have had had two good sessions on the new one..so there's still some hope.

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2021, 08:26:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Right now I have a stack of 9 decks. 7 of them will definitely be wall boards. Not sure about the other 2 yet.

In my defense, I am looking for the perfect deck as I never had money as a kid. Now grown up, good job and all that blabla.

I always have a few boards on hand. I like to buy at least 3, but lately 5 at a time. My local is 45 mins away so I can’t realistically go there every time I need a board as I usually make it 2-4 weeks on a board depending how much street I skate and how often. Think it stems from buying 5-10 of those moose blanks as a teenager? Anyone else skate those? 10 boards for $100 haha

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2021, 09:17:47 PM »
Got 4 boards from Black Friday last year but couldn't bring myself to skate them, so I ended sticking those in storage and stocking up on other boards on clearance. Managed to snag a few Creature Everslicks since I'm a sucker for the gimmicky stuff NHS puts out.

But setup-wise just 1 board, maybe alternate between Venture Cast / Forged and Thunder Forged.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

munchbox

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 838
  • like….? brunch
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2021, 02:22:20 AM »
pretty over having more than one setup nowadays, my main setup is basically a big boy and my actual 9+ hasnt seen outside in a minute.

scumco 8.75/31.75/14" wheelbase
venture 5.6 hollows
f4 conical full 97a 56mm
swiss 6
bronze
jessup

might size up to venture 5.8s since they are a better fit and can run looser trucks but its more out of curiosity than me being certain. besides that im finally happy with my gear and enjoying my time in the streets

i will be getting rid of my excess skate gear thats just taking up space at this point
while cool-guying is a real phenomenon, studies show that 83% of all cool-guying incidents can be attributed to the cool-guyee being an awkward weirdo

Maxi205

• Rep: 32
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2021, 12:24:50 PM »
I only rock one setup too but I always keep a second setup consisting of old parts if friends want to come skate with me who do not own a board. That bring said I should qualify for a single setup slapper.

Primitive 8.25 31.875x14“
Ace Af1 44 (2 speedrings in 1 out to keep the nut flush)
Formular Four Conical 53mm 99a
6 Ball industrial bearings
Some random black griptape
Shorty‘s 7/8 philips hardware

chillclinton87

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2021, 08:56:40 AM »
Tried having two boards- one regular setup and one from spare parts that i ended up never using!

other than my regular setup i have a zip zinger for the good ol beer run or some stuff like that!

My regular setup currently is:

FA or Hockey (preferably): 8.18 with the 14 or 14.1 WB

Maybe i ride an 8.125 Workshop or habitat since they have some square shapes if i can't get FA. But in winter i started stocking up on boards cause i had the worst gear crisis last year when it was hard to even get a board.....

Mob only

Thunder Team 147- stock everything, i don't even tighten or loosen them, they work the best for me like that. Some wax into the pivot cups maybe.

F4 99 duro in 52mm- classics

5 year old bones swiss with shields popped that i never took care of but they are still going strong as ever

Diamond 7/8 hardware- allen key

Bolts, Trucks an wheels i change once, maybe twice a year.

One pair of shoes, can't do the rotation thing.

Usually shoes and board last me 4-6 weeks so i switch em out at the same time usually. Takes like a session to get used to it but i love having crispy stuff!

Reading about your guys setups in now typing all this i feel kinda weird about my setup  ;D since it's kinda streamlined but then again i swap boards and shoes out quite often but that is the same setup for the last 10 years basically and i like that.

if you are on insta it's @flipstagram87

MC3

• Rep: 124
  • "That's a Helluva price to pay for being stylish!"
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2021, 09:23:13 AM »
I suck enough so I can't be bothered with shit changing all the time, so for the last 3 years I've ridden

8.38, usually a Krooked or Habitat
The same pair of Thunder 147 or 148 (I can't remember but it feels a bit small for a 8.38) standards
Spitfire F4 classic 53mm, about a pair a year or so.
Jessup

BUT, after many conversations with top scientists, I'm changing it up for the next 3+ years. After a new appreciation of slappies and transition, as well as tired of shitty ground and spots, everything is getting bigger. I'm in the process of gathering parts for the new setup before these wheels die

8.5 (thinking of trying an FA or Hockey, but haven't bought anything yet)
Thunder 149 Hi Hollow II
Spitfire F4 Conical 56mm
Jessup

Things gonna feel like a monster truck
(Cool Trick GIF)

bombsaway86

• Rep: 152
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2021, 10:31:22 AM »
The one time I tried having two setups made things worse. I’d get used to one and then the other wouldn’t feel right and it would throw off my skating.
For years I rode an 8.5 for skating everything.

Now I’m old and just ride bowls/mini/vert with this setup:

9.0 deck w 15” wb (shop deck or orange AH eagle)
Ace classic 55 w krux bushings
Spitfire F4 58mm OG classics
Swiss 6 bearings

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #85 on: May 12, 2021, 05:55:16 AM »
Waiting on parts, but my one and only setup will be:

SWH White blank 8.25 w/14” WB
Bullshit trucks (looking at tensors in future)
Dimebag Hardware 95a (hard) bushings
Slime Balls Vomit Mini 97a 53mm
Bones Reds bearings

I had a lot of recs for 97a Spit F4s, but local didn’t have anything softer than 99a and online selection was meh. Got the Slime Balls on my brother's rec.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #86 on: May 12, 2021, 07:13:24 AM »
Waiting on parts, but my one and only setup will be:

SWH White blank 8.25 w/14” WB

I had a lot of recs for 97a Spit F4s, but local didn’t have anything softer than 99a and online selection was meh. Got the Slime Balls on my brother's rec.

Is the SWH blank very flat? Those dims are my goldilocks zone (but hard to find). The 2 I've seen in the wild are extremely flat which would be a mood killer.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #87 on: May 12, 2021, 07:42:32 AM »

picture upload

Mine has a pretty good concave. The site doesn’t have a measurement, but I just checked and it’s 3/4” middle of the deck.