Author Topic: EURO PALS: I am moving from the US to the EU (please help!)  (Read 7633 times)

sexualhelon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
Re: EURO PALS: I am moving from the US to the EU (please help!)
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2021, 02:14:47 AM »
I don’t want to take away too much from OP but this threads been up for a minute and I don’t want to start a new one just for my question. But here goes:

My wife and I would love to move to Spain, she’s Mexican I’m American. Work Visas seem tough to come by especially for me (wife has a degree in business admin) as I have no college degree and all my work experience is construction/low level admin/manufacturing. Anyone got any advice for someone wanting to move to Spain or Europe in general without higher education? We are both fluent in Spanish so language is a non issue. I have looked into this on my own but looking for any advice for jobs that may not be as well known.

Edit: We aren’t looking to move for a while.

To get sponsored, there's often a - imho - a bs requirement of having a degree from the government. Not sure if that's the case in Spain but there's often ways around it.

Since you're both fluent in Spanish, that will make things much easier for you. Being that your wife has a degree, I think it would be easier for her to find a job in BCN while not actually living there yet. Then you could get a resident permit via your spouse. From there, you'd be able to take on any job without them needing to sponsor you in which case I think you'd have a much easier time finding one.

Once things are back to normal, I always suggest visiting and staying for as long as you can on that trip (ideally a month or so). Apply for a bunch of jobs and try to set interviews for that month, set up appts to look at flats to rent ahead of time , etc...

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #121 on: May 04, 2021, 09:55:17 PM »
So randomly there is a possibility I may be moving to Madrid. Talking like 1% chance, I’m probably jumping the gun but whatevs. The company I work for has an office there and I expressed interest to my HR guy about wanting to live there and he put me in touch with the Spain HR guy and I have a meeting Friday with him. I don’t necessarily have the experience for the jobs open, but he agreed to meet with me to discuss “opportunities in Madrid”, which tells me there’s at least a tiny chance they’re interested in me. Here goes nothing. Wish me luck PALS.

S.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 63
    • Fotos avatar image
« Reply #122 on: May 05, 2021, 02:09:59 AM »
So randomly there is a possibility I may be moving to Madrid. Talking like 1% chance, I’m probably jumping the gun but whatevs. The company I work for has an office there and I expressed interest to my HR guy about wanting to live there and he put me in touch with the Spain HR guy and I have a meeting Friday with him. I don’t necessarily have the experience for the jobs open, but he agreed to meet with me to discuss “opportunities in Madrid”, which tells me there’s at least a tiny chance they’re interested in me. Here goes nothing. Wish me luck PALS.

Good luck, man!

Madrid is dope. It has got great street spots and if you are into bowls you absolutely need to go to Alcobendas, which is a suburb of Madrid. The bowl there is weird and awesome. Check out the welcome shop. The friendliest and most core shop in the city. I've slept on the couch of one of the owners.

sexualhelon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
  • I'm an ardent supporter of futile causes.
    • Lurkaround avatar image
« Reply #123 on: May 05, 2021, 10:42:18 AM »

Luck is wished <3

Lloyd Braun

• Rep: 80
« Reply #124 on: May 05, 2021, 11:44:16 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Good luck, man!

Madrid is dope. It has got great street spots and if you are into bowls you absolutely need to go to Alcobendas, which is a suburb of Madrid. The bowl there is weird and awesome. Check out the welcome shop. The friendliest and most core shop in the city. I've slept on the couch of one of the owners.

I visited in 2019 and really loved Madrid. I’ve wanted to live there ever since. Thanks for the well wishes.

Alan

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2607
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #125 on: May 05, 2021, 01:43:46 PM »
Good luck!
Hosin' out the cab of his pickup truck
He's got his 8-track playin' really fuckin' loud