Author Topic: JRPG  (Read 1718 times)

Sifter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 46
JRPG
« on: April 23, 2021, 11:02:25 PM »
Final Fantasy VII, IX and X are godly

I just finished Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross both for the first time recently and loved every moment and hate myself for not tapping into them earlier.

Next up is The Legend of Heroes: Trails In The Sky

Any others I need to get onto?  What are your favourites?

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Re: JRPG
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 07:52:14 AM »
I never could really get into JRPGs, but all of the Fire Emblem games are dope and makes you really have to think about each and every move you make. The ones on Gameboy Advanced were the best IMO.

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 09:00:19 AM »
Not sure if it counts as a JRPG (I know Y7 counts as one), but the Yakuza series is some serious gourmet shit. It's not a Japanese GTA game.

Although released on a later date, Yakuza 0 is the best game to start off with as it's a prequel to all the games.

The main stories are super serious and dramatic, but then the side stuff is a complete 180.

Well, I think this video shows what I mean pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQS4RMDbHvo

Related: my signature

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 12:26:33 PM »
PS1 is the best JRPG console:

Xenogears
Suikoden 1+2
Valkyrie Profile (my personal favorite)
Wild Arms

SNES is good too:

Final Fantasy III

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 09:13:17 AM »
Seiken Densetsu 3 / Secret of Mana 2
The SNES version if best, it was remade in 3D a few years ago but the annoying anime voices turned me off getting started. The SNES version has so many branching paths with real-time combat, much faster paced as other JRPGs.

Edit: SNES version available on emulators.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

HeavyAndExpensive

• Rep: 114
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 01:20:57 PM »
Currently playing Bravely Default 2, great classic Square. All the tropes, challenging, but has some pretty adult themes in the side quests etc. I really want and old school styled game in terms of graphics and gameplay (think Octopath Traveler) but with a heavy story, maybe even hints of sci-fi a la FF7 or Star Ocean 2 or Xenogears.

Skatebeard

• Rep: 129
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2021, 11:57:55 PM »
A few that spring to mind that i've particularly enjoyed over the last 5-10 years-

Neir Automata (xb/ps)
Xenoblade Chronicles X, 1 & 2 (wii/wii U/switch) worth picking up a console just to play this IMO.
Yakuza 7 (xb/ps) (tbh check out the whole series)
Dragon Quest XI (xb/PS)
FF X and X-2
FF XV (xb/ps)
Eternal Sonata (xb 360)

beatifk

• Rep: 162
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2021, 12:32:12 AM »
Currently playing Bravely Default 2, great classic Square. All the tropes, challenging, but has some pretty adult themes in the side quests etc. I really want and old school styled game in terms of graphics and gameplay (think Octopath Traveler) but with a heavy story, maybe even hints of sci-fi a la FF7 or Star Ocean 2 or Xenogears.

I forgot about Star Ocean 2, I loved that game.

Also, I'm shocked it hasn't been mentioned (I forgot it too) but EarthBound is excellent as well.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 96
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2021, 06:50:43 AM »
I grew up pretty much exclusively playing Final Fantasy and other Square JRPGS. Two of my absolute non-Final Fantasy JRPG's are Lost Odyssey (developed my Mistwalker, a studio started by the guy that created FF) and Dragon Quest XI. DQXI is a modern game that sticks to a classic formula and story but is extremely charming and feels like an all time classic. Lost Odyssey is a little more off the beaten path gameplay wise but tells an extremely unique story that's at times heartwarming and at times tragic, it's unfortunately exclusive to Xbox.

Sifter

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2021, 10:28:52 PM »
I never could really get into JRPGs, but all of the Fire Emblem games are dope and makes you really have to think about each and every move you make. The ones on Gameboy Advanced were the best IMO.

Fire emblem is on the to do list for sure.  Yakuza and Persona get high praise pretty often so I'll eventually get to those. I love me some anime but the really heavy anime looking jrpgs seem a bit much for me

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2021, 07:01:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Fire emblem is on the to do list for sure.  Yakuza and Persona get high praise pretty often so I'll eventually get to those. I love me some anime but the really heavy anime looking jrpgs seem a bit much for me

This is where it starts to get tricky, because Fire Emblem is a JRPG in everything except gameplay where it's more of a strategy game. As someone who isn't big too on Anime (I like Akira and Berserk but don't watch much else) I absolutely love Yakuza and Persona even though Yakuza was a beat-em-up until 7

Clone1984

• Rep: 6
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 10:05:17 PM »
Lunar silver star story complete

Ys series

pro club blanks

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2021, 04:05:33 PM »
GOAT genre

Shin megami tensei is a super dope and underrated series

slapshakle

• Rep: 17
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2021, 02:38:43 AM »
My picks that I've played through of the past few years:

Xenoblade Chronicles 1 & 2
Dragon Quest 8 & 11
Tokyo Mirage Sessions

The Etrian Odyssey games are worth having a look at too, the exploration plays out as a turn based first person dungeon crawler, I think they're great but definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

I also just got a copy of Shin Megami Tensei III Remaster which I'll get around to eventually.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 651
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2021, 12:12:41 PM »

I just finished Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross both for the first time recently and loved every moment and hate myself for not tapping into them earlier.

I highly recommend Octopath Traveller on switch , there is a 2nd one coming soon but i think its actually more of a tactics game which is also something i am very hype on (i would consider Fire Emblem more of a tactics game as well)
ONTARIO CANADA

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2021, 12:13:38 PM »
EARTHBOUND
ONTARIO CANADA

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2021, 02:48:56 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I highly recommend Octopath Traveller on switch , there is a 2nd one coming soon but i think its actually more of a tactics game which is also something i am very hype on (i would consider Fire Emblem more of a tactics game as well)

That's a new game made by the same people called Project Triangle Strategy which is basically a new Final Fantasy Tactics. There is an actual Octopath Traveler 2 coming as well and Square also announced a remake of Dragon Quest III in the same engine with the same graphical style. Good time for retro RPG's.

Sifter

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2021, 04:15:46 PM »
I got Octopath Traveler a few weeks back on a steam sale.  25 hours deep and enjoying it!

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2021, 05:53:37 PM »

Gonna throw my hat in the ring for the GBA Fire Emblems. I purchased Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones in 2003 and 2005 respectively, and they brought me years of joy.

Unfortunately, Sacred Stones is the only legitimate copy I have left. My FE7 was stolen and Binding Blade never got a NA release. These replicated carts can be picked up easily on feeBay and are worth the $12(ish) IMO.

Bakers Bark

• Rep: 5
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2021, 05:57:29 PM »
Going through Octopath Traveller now. Braverly Dangerous on the DS was really good. I haven't played the second one yet.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2021, 10:45:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Gonna throw my hat in the ring for the GBA Fire Emblems. I purchased Blazing Blade and Sacred Stones in 2003 and 2005 respectively, and they brought me years of joy.

Unfortunately, Sacred Stones is the only legitimate copy I have left. My FE7 was stolen and Binding Blade never got a NA release. These replicated carts can be picked up easily on feeBay and are worth the $12(ish) IMO.

sick games but they are more turn based strat/ tactics than jrpg imo
ONTARIO CANADA

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 358
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2021, 11:29:15 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

sick games but they are more turn based strat/ tactics than jrpg imo

You're totally right. Just wanted to add on to Mesteezo's quip as I'm not a big JRPG fan either.

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2021, 02:01:33 AM »
Anyone play the Shin Megami Tensei 3 remaster on Switch and can tell me if it's worth full price? Never played a main title SMT game, loved Persona 3 on the PS2 though.

pro club blanks

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2021, 02:30:47 PM »
Anyone play the Shin Megami Tensei 3 remaster on Switch and can tell me if it's worth full price? Never played a main title SMT game, loved Persona 3 on the PS2 though.
I saw a lot of reviews saying that graphically its a little choppy on switch and that the modest quality of life improvements arent really worth the 50$ price tag

If you got a DS id strongly recommend 4 or 4 apocalypse

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2021, 10:38:34 AM »
DS / 3DS games are going through the roof right now. hold on to them joints
ONTARIO CANADA

drunk guy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2021, 03:50:02 PM »

trails in the sky is a slow burn but stick with it, i played all of them and all of trails of cold steal during covid. The amount of jrpgs i have finished between 2020-now is absolutely embarrassing

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2021, 04:34:59 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I saw a lot of reviews saying that graphically its a little choppy on switch and that the modest quality of life improvements arent really worth the 50$ price tag

If you got a DS id strongly recommend 4 or 4 apocalypse

yea, watched a couple reviews and it seems like the switch version is definitely the version to stay away from which really sucks cause more altus games on switch would be dope, especially if they’re main title ones like smt. hope smt 5 doesn’t suffer like this on switch.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2021, 08:21:17 AM »
Would yo uconsider Suikoden a JPRG or more of a tactics game? anyway a great gmae none the less for the OGs PSX
ONTARIO CANADA

TD

• Rep: -2
« Reply #28 on: September 20, 2021, 01:07:59 AM »
worst part about the SMT3 remaster is the soundtrack. sounds so nasty compared to the original on PS2.

Sifter

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2021, 04:56:07 AM »
Just started playing Shadow Hearts on ps2 emu.  Off its head