Author Topic: Removing griptape  (Read 814 times)

Billy Bitchcakes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
Removing griptape
« on: April 24, 2021, 05:22:00 AM »
I've got a bunch of old boards and that I want to remove the griptape from to make into shelves etc. Anyone got a tried and tested method of doing it? I've never managed without it being a huge pain in the ass. I always thought warm it up with a hairdryer but IDK if it actually makes any difference.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Removing griptape
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 05:25:53 AM »
The brand of grip makes a big difference, but yes leaving them out in the sun on a warm day softens up the adhesive, the same way a hair dryer does, only the sun does a much better overall job and is less of a struggle.

Some sheets of grip come off in a nice even peeled one piece, others come off in thumbnail sized pieces and is a pain to the last bit and can take hours.

I have often used a razorblade to get the edge up much more easily than using a fingernail or other tool, but each to their own.

Good luck.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Molte

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 169
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2021, 09:42:59 AM »
Christ airs, airwalks and darkslides

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2021, 09:58:13 AM »
Always remove psa side to side across the face of the object. Also, pull downward as opposed to upward. When you clean the adhesive let the solvent make contact for 5-10 minutes before you scrape. Use a plastic blade so as not to damage the wood.

I sell window film for a living. Same principles apply. Except you scrape adhesive off with a razor blade on glass.

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2021, 12:05:46 AM »
Yeah backing molte and brimson, you can get these heat guns, corded ones I used the Bosch one but I reckon heaps of companies make one
If you had quite a few to do easier to use one of them
listen to cosmic psychos

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 975
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2021, 07:48:39 AM »
This guys has got the overall best method I know
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW-gGMpZHGs&ab_channel=RatVision%E2%80%93SkateboardTech

Yes that clip definitely looks easier than half the times I have seen others try to remove their grip.

For some kids I would do it, but for most, I said I was happy to regrip it for them but they had to remove the grip themselves first.

I know it is different in this case, but so many kids just wanted different grip, often the Mob graphic grip or something similar, so completely didn't need new grip at all, which is often why I would not be very keen to remove perfectly good and sometimes brand new grip from their boards.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Thrash-trash

• Rep: 4
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2021, 01:36:50 PM »
Ive been making little keepsake boxes outta old boards and have to remove the grip on each one before sanding, cutting then glue up. So Ive done a bunch of them.

Heat-gun or hair-dryer softens up the glue. I clamp the board to the work table, heat up the edge of the nose and then take a razor and get it started. Pull enough grip up to be able to stick it to a thick wooden dowel, about 1" or thicker. Then with the heat-gun, warm up the grip while rolling the dowel down the board making sure the grip is sticking to and rolling on the dowel. Most grips will peel off pretty easily. If it starts peeling away in pieces, stop and re-stick it to the dowel, then start rolling again. Once you get this technique down, it'll take less than 5 mins.

If done properly, the grip will roll right off the dowel in one piece and you'll be ready for the next one. The clamp is the saving grace on this job. If frees up both hands, so get a good size clamp. Heat-gun and a 12" grip clamp is prob $20 each or you can get a hairdryer from thriftstore for cheaper. Dowel will run you $5.

PhantomBased

• Rep: -13
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2021, 08:25:33 AM »
I’ve always heard the hairdryer thing too. I’d try that. Honestly I’ve always just had luck peeling it, sorry I can’t be of more help than that.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2021, 05:36:40 AM »
Ive been making little keepsake boxes outta old boards and have to remove the grip on each one before sanding, cutting then glue up. So Ive done a bunch of them.

Heat-gun or hair-dryer softens up the glue. I clamp the board to the work table, heat up the edge of the nose and then take a razor and get it started. Pull enough grip up to be able to stick it to a thick wooden dowel, about 1" or thicker. Then with the heat-gun, warm up the grip while rolling the dowel down the board making sure the grip is sticking to and rolling on the dowel. Most grips will peel off pretty easily. If it starts peeling away in pieces, stop and re-stick it to the dowel, then start rolling again. Once you get this technique down, it'll take less than 5 mins.

If done properly, the grip will roll right off the dowel in one piece and you'll be ready for the next one. The clamp is the saving grace on this job. If frees up both hands, so get a good size clamp. Heat-gun and a 12" grip clamp is prob $20 each or you can get a hairdryer from thriftstore for cheaper. Dowel will run you $5.

Thanks, that sounds like a good technique. You got any pics of the boxes you've made?
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

mcdonaldsfrenchfry

• Rep: 0
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 08:27:47 AM »
Using a hairdryer works for me. It still takes a bit of effort to get all of the griptape off though.