Author Topic: How does smoking weed affect your skating compared with when you're sober?  (Read 7359 times)

Merman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -40
Did it affect your style and/or trick selection? What changed?

JamesFardy

• Rep: 64
    • Gyfcat.com avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
I thought I was WAY better than I was, then realized I was just watching Tom penny skate in Sorry.

Rubbrick

• Rep: 140
I don’t smoke anymore but when I would skate high I would be way more cautious and hesitant to try stuff. Also I wouldn’t be as motivated to learn/try new tricks. If I got spooked from almost eating shit (or eating shit), I would just go back to my go-to tricks and just cruise around.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
Never was someone who could drink and skate. Even just one or two. However, alcohol affects me different than others.

I use to skate stoned all the time and my skating suffered. The few good days seemed to stick in my mind than the many bad days I had. I always figured I sucked. I definitely was less confident when skating overall

Been back on the board consistently for the past year (in my early 30s). Started to skate with my buddy often hungover, and sometimes stoned. However in the past year I've had bouts of sobriety lasting about a month if not longer. That's when I start to be a lot more consistent and start progressing.

It's only dependent on the individual I think. I had to start acknowledging that alc and weed just hit differently for me and that's because of my diagnosed mental illness. If it ain't working for you cut it. It ain't easy, but if you reach out for help, it's a lot more feasible than doing that on your own.

For me it means setting myself up with a primary care physician and psychiatrist. Maybe eventually a therapist. Your path might look different but this is mine and happy to share it if it helps others

The chillest1

winecrab

• Rep: -176
I can't skate at all while high. My legs feel like jelly and my balance and coordination is fucked. Beer is a different story. I can drink a 6 pack and land shit all day.

Urtripping

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
I don't smoke weed with any regularity anymore, but the other day at an event I had one hit of a blunt, drank a Miller lite, and skated with more confidence than I had all year.

I used to really enjoy a solo session or skating with one or two good friends while zooted. Skateparks were anxiety central while high, though. No way I was keeping track of whose go it was.

Skating on acid, however...

I saw your mommy and your mommy's dead

cky enthusiast

i skate just as good stoned. i like it. idk. skating high is sick

MorningSesh

• Rep: 76
I don't think I skate any better when high but I do enjoy it if I'm skating by myself or around a small group of homies. The occasional weed + coffee combo works for me if I'm working on something new.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 515
When I was 14 - 18 I found that it made me skate slower and with a slower reaction time, but if i smoked say, 4 hours before skating then it had a calming effect and i skated better, like i didn't over-think tricks and bail unnecessarily.
In recent years I've pretty much always been stoned while skating and it's been fine, until i cut down heavily, last time i skated stoned it sucked because my tolerance was way down, took forever to warm up, had less pop, less energy, balance wasn't as good.
Been clean and sober for a month now and my pop is higher than ever, can sit in single truck grinds/slides longer than ever, but everything hurts more.

skatingisntspecialstupid

• Rep: 57
Sometimes I imagine it makes me better at flat ground but my progress doesn’t seem to match up with my feelings
Don’t dip your head in or your board will end up behind you

marty mcfly

Weed after a Session is nice!
If there’s weed before the session...there’s no session!
Weed makes lazy!

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
marijuana makes your breath smell like a bong !

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
Who cares? The real question is why is drinking so glorified in skateboarding. Drinking is a completely stupid thing to do while skating. Come at me bro.  :D

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

boi-cuzudo

coffee + weed

and then lemonade + weed

boi-cuzudo

i have stiff shoulders and a lot of back pain, so smoking helps relax my body/shoulders...helps with my sore knees, helps with enjoying the moment and I feel more social...helps me forget of whats not important lol

muntcuscle

• Rep: 44
all about how much I smoke... too much = session killer. if i'm just a little stoned but still know where I am it makes it more fun

stratosphere

• Rep: 8
I am always a little high when I’m skating. I’ve landed stuff first try when baked that would’ve taken me at least 15/20 minutes to land sober. Keeps me loosey goosey

gaunting

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 186
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
every time I skate high, I get hurt. 👎🏻
This has me cracking up, what exactly does Black Flag have to do with measuring your dick starting behind ya nuts?

Skateboarding is nothing but a game to find the right fits to appear like you're a proportional human being instead of a midget or a giant.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
skating stoned makes me neurotic and i become afraid of easy tricks and become terrified of ollieing into any grind, but it's good for skating flat. i often land tricks i can't do consistently when sober. also helps me with manuals. i think my style and pop suffer for sure. i definetly skate slower when i'm high as a kite. sessions also devolve into lazy mode skating/no complys only/mobflip country. skating on weed is definetly fun but these days i don't smoke until i feel i'm already over the hump of the session so to speak, so say i skate for 4 hours, probably smoke after 3 hours or so and then roll around blazed for one hour. i feel like i get hurt more easily when i skate stoned right out the gate, too.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1079
    • My Wife avatar image
Sometimes it trips me out, most of the time it gets me in the zone.

When I took a "Drugs and the Brain" course in college, I learned that anytime you take drugs, your reaction will come down to Set (how you are feeling internally at the time) and Setting (the conditions of the environment you are in).
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
Every time I get high I go skateboarding.

Most of the time when I’m not high I don’t go skateboarding.

I enjoy skateboarding high cause it makes me forget about responsibilities and old age pain. Gets my ass up and going.

Also can feel the ground better and trucks more when high. I feel at one with my skateboard.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
The weed be letting you know....

lemonchicken91

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 242
all about how much I smoke... too much = session killer. if i'm just a little stoned but still know where I am it makes it more fun

This, same w beer. Maybe one or two to get the confidence going. Any more than that and the balance gets off , knew a pool rat who would slam a 6 pack and go hard, he was hellride certified tho
no, i live in an efficiency by myself and work in middle management like you, loser

Biancapal

• Rep: -8
Smoking before session = me thinking I’m looking/skating like Kader which causes me to try something stupid and twist my ankle

Hyliannightmare

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -204
Skated high for the last year but had to get clean for work and the only difference is I don't have that 30 minutes of me being super stoned and not trying anything at the beginning of the session lol

jaysouthbay

• Rep: 1
Ive always wondered about the affects of marijuana/alcohol use on cognitive function/muscle memory/spatial awareness+processing and all that as it relates to skateboarding, and if there are any legit peer reviewed articles out there that we can use to make substantial claims from.. ex; weed/alcohol is actually detrimental to learning tricks and here is why.. etc

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1027
  • Gnar Kook
Makes you more lit af

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
Don’t really smoke weed anymore, like at all, but when I did I would skate more relaxed and less tense, friends would always say I skated and looked like Antwuan Dixon, just really relaxed. Even though I skated more relaxed weed would always fuck with my balance and coordination so I didn’t really like skating on it, even if it did help my style. Plus on weed it was hard for me to concentrate on tricks too, my mind was all over the place.

Booze on the other hand....
I like skating while sipping on one or two beers during the sesh. I usually always come to a sesh with a tall can, sometimes two. Tried it out like a year back and I liked it so much that I’ve pretty much skated almost every sesh since then with a tall can or two on the side. I feel like if you’re only sipping on like one or two tall cans while skating it’s not enough to really fuck up your balance, it’s just enough to where your balance is still good but you got a nice buzz/borderline slight drunk feeling to where it makes the sesh more enjoyable and it helps with throwing caution to the wind a bit too, at least for me; I’m more likely to just say “fuck it” and go for shit and commit when I have a tall can or two in me.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
I was thinking about this just the other day

I have been eating a small amount of THC (<5mg), like a vitamin, every morning since December. I also take .3g psilocybin mushroom capsule as a "vitamin" every 3 days. On those days I really try to make it a point to go skate about 2 hours after taking the medicine because it leaves me feeling incredible- creative, motivated, focused, and flowing. It translates well with whatever I do- whether I end up building shit in the yard, sitting on slap, drawing, teaching, or school work. Skating with that subtle shift is just wonderful though. Mind y'all, I'm not very good these days, but I'm getting some shit back and experiencing greater focus and the ability to skate with less fear- that doesn't mean fearless, but rather better able to understand and assess risks and how to use the body. On top the focus, I just feel lighter.

I used to puff tuff all the time. Burn a blunt before, during, and after a sesh. smoking that much just made it too hard to feel good about anything while skating. I need a good 30-40 minutes come down before feeling good/out of my head enough to skate and even then it was sorta just like "aaah, I'm not fucked anymore and can land this trick, yay." I had some friends though, who could really lay it down while blazing. I used to like skating when I was drinking a few beers, but it was never productive other than skating way faster than I might otherwise.

So ya, I love weed and skating, but it's like anything else I do with weed, I don't wanna get too high. I'm all about finding the perfect amount to institute ease in the body and subtle shift of consciousness.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

Double Thick Filbert

• Rep: -56
Harder to commit, can be hard to focus and balance. But if you are a heavy stoner doesn't make much difference and you will prob need to bring weed to the session to get in the zone. you can also crossfade with a beers and get rid of the fear/hesitation.

A decent micro or low dose of mushrooms or lsd is probably the best /most performance enhancing though. It will give you intense concentration, super acute vision, better balance and timing, higher pain tolerance, longer lasting (balanced) energy, clear mind and many more benefits.

A larger dose, rolling can feel like you are surfing a wave or rolling on water.