Author Topic: How does smoking weed affect your skating compared with when you're sober?  (Read 7367 times)

mj23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Hard to compare, as I’ve only skated baked for ages

boi-cuzudo

I was thinking about this just the other day

I have been eating a small amount of THC (<5mg), like a vitamin, every morning since December. I also take .3g psilocybin mushroom capsule as a "vitamin" every 3 days. On those days I really try to make it a point to go skate about 2 hours after taking the medicine because it leaves me feeling incredible- creative, motivated, focused, and flowing. It translates well with whatever I do- whether I end up building shit in the yard, sitting on slap, drawing, teaching, or school work. Skating with that subtle shift is just wonderful though. Mind y'all, I'm not very good these days, but I'm getting some shit back and experiencing greater focus and the ability to skate with less fear- that doesn't mean fearless, but rather better able to understand and assess risks and how to use the body. On top the focus, I just feel lighter.

I used to puff tuff all the time. Burn a blunt before, during, and after a sesh. smoking that much just made it too hard to feel good about anything while skating. I need a good 30-40 minutes come down before feeling good/out of my head enough to skate and even then it was sorta just like "aaah, I'm not fucked anymore and can land this trick, yay." I had some friends though, who could really lay it down while blazing. I used to like skating when I was drinking a few beers, but it was never productive other than skating way faster than I might otherwise.

So ya, I love weed and skating, but it's like anything else I do with weed, I don't wanna get too high. I'm all about finding the perfect amount to institute ease in the body and subtle shift of consciousness.

do you drift off/trip with 0.3g? ;D

DaleSr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1444
I can land flip tricks slightly better. That's about it

doublesteveburger

rule of thumb: drink and smoke while you skate - not before

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
You won't forget your hacky sack at the spot anymore once you have sobered up

Craig Lutzka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 288

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
Sometimes it trips me out, most of the time it gets me in the zone.

When I took a "Drugs and the Brain" course in college, I learned that anytime you take drugs, your reaction will come down to Set (how you are feeling internally at the time) and Setting (the conditions of the environment you are in).

I back this statement.

I learned tre flips after smoking dmt, like immediately after.

I learned wallrides on mushrooms.

I failed my drivers license test twice in a row from anxiety.

Had my “cool aunt” take me the third time, smoked a pipe beforehand and the next thing I know the instructor is printing out my license.

The only time I got in a car accident I wasn’t stoned. My grades/caring about school improved immensely when I began smoking regularly.

Drugs effect everyone differently

Maccat

• Rep: 78
Just a bit. But at the same time not necessary.

All things through coffee though.

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 429
Ledges got really tall, and it felt like my swiss turned in walmart board bearings.

Stick to after the skating now
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma

winecrab

• Rep: -176
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Who cares? The real question is why is drinking so glorified in skateboarding. Drinking is a completely stupid thing to do while skating. Come at me bro.  :D

Because it's fun. I don't even drink anymore but I understand why people do it. I don't see the problem with having a couple of beers with your homies while you skate unless you're getting drunk. One time I drank a bunch of riot punch (grain alcohol with blue gatorade) and went to MIA skatepark. I tried a kickflip in the parking lot and split my chin wide open on the rough asphalt. Everything in moderation.

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
Expand Quote
[close]
this

I prefer to skate sober first, then smoke.
Beers, just a bit, but also same deal. Drunk can't do shit, feel like a 10 years old me learning to skate again; some friends can do it totallly blacked out, its like a superpower for me.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
I don’t really like smoking much weed while skating. Like a little is good. Surfing though- fuuuuuuuck give me all the weed. I don’t give a shit if I catch waves, if I do it’s amazing,if I just stare into the water, doesn’t matter it’s the best.

I know that’s not the question but I’m stoned

johnes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -237
It doesn’t affect my skating anymore. There have been times in my life where I’d be too stoned and would fall a little more frequently trying certain tricks.
But at this point, almost every trick I’ve ever done and filmed, I smoked weed right before the session and it doesn’t affect my skating in anyway anymore.
I’m a fat Siamese cat.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 168
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
To each their own, but I don’t get how people skate while high. I’ve done it a few times and and it trips me out. I don’t want to do anything physical while smoking, especially skating. I’d rather just relax and vibe.

The few times I skated while high I couldn’t “calculate” the process of doing a trick. Push > roll up > pop > flip/grind/slide/etc. > land. My brain would skip steps and I wouldn’t remember how the hell I ended up on the ledge or whatever. Ugh, I hated it.

Mickey Knox

• Rep: -32
The key with me is to warmed up already before I smoke, usually after at least an hour of skating. It gives me a second wind of motivation and creativity. I’ve been skating a long time and that extra boost of interest goes a long way. It also helps keep me from losing my shit on stupid kids at the park that have headphones in both ears and collide with people all day long.

Jewel Runner

• Rep: 101
I used to smoke with my homies everytime we skated but only after getting warmed up and I could skate just fine maybe better. But since I took a t break of 5 or so months I can't skate high. My balance is off and the only thing I can do is cruise around and do some manuals, still fun tho.

Now I like to skate and smoke after I get home and take a long warm shower.

Fhk

For me it's definitely get warmed up..few puffs and then skate. And if I'm not feeling, and I'm sucking more than normal I smoke a little more and get on the Slap with the intentions of reassuring myself that I'm a skateboarder.
Nursing one beer throughout the session seems to do the trick when your old too.

Tommy G

• Rep: -14
I've skated high twice. Both times my muscles become so relaxed and coordinating them to do tricks is hard as hell. I can do about 4 or 5 tricks regular but none nollie or switch. It feels like I black out for half a second while I'm about to pop the board and my style goes out the window, so no more skating high. Give me a couple of beers and I can skate all day.

skate_or_dingus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 265
Skating high used to freak me out and I'd avoid it at all costs but nowadays I smoke so much that it doesn't really make a difference one way or the other.

Far from relevant

• Rep: -100
Weed is tight

Scott Chegg

• Rep: -5
It all depends on the day, sometimes it makes me skate like shit. But most of the time I land way more tricks first try than I’m expecting and have more fun than sober

IpathCats

Moderation is key.

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
If I'm high when I'm warming up it's not too good but if I get warmed up first and then get high I definitely get more in the zone and feel like tricks come easier

Masshole

• Rep: 23
I find I skate the same if I'm drinking or smoking compared to being sober. If I've had a few beers I'm usually a little ballsier and I never get to the point of being drunk, as I imagine that would just end poorly. Wake, bake, and skate super early is nice though, I love getting to the park/spot as the sun comes up and spending a good amount of time just stretching while I smoke and drink my coffee, I feel like it always sets me up for a good session, but more in a mental attitude sort of way, not just from being high.

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
I’m pretty much always on some edible mellow grandad weed, so I’m not sure, but it does not seem like it has affected anything negatively. But when I was young and we would smoke needlessly extravagant blunts filled with fancy weed, skating was waaaaaaaay too difficult. Fuck, filming was too difficult.
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

breezer

• Rep: -17
I rarely smoke when I'm skating, I usually wait until after......but I'm still shit at skateboarding, explain that! 

Wheelbyte

• Rep: -34
thc raises hist-amine and may over stimulate you like methamphet-amine
like potential for psychosis from high thc low cbd strains
and can also be pro inflammatory if you already have inflammation

and cbd/cbg etc is anti inflammatory and makes you loose and happier

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
Hard to compare, as I’ve only skated baked for ages
same.

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

JohnnyBoy

• Rep: 7
    • Fat Skater avatar image
Smoking is weird. Sometimes I have more fun stoned but I definitely dont get the desire to try anything out of my comfort zone.

Beer really works for me, gives me some chaotic energy that usually means skating faster and going for shit right away. I will say that it does make the falls worse because my reaction time and decision making is obviously much worse once Ive had too much. Last time that happened I fell to the flat of a big miniramp from the coping and tried to catch my fall with my wrists. Big no no. Wrist broke immediately.

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Expand Quote
I was thinking about this just the other day

I have been eating a small amount of THC (<5mg), like a vitamin, every morning since December. I also take .3g psilocybin mushroom capsule as a "vitamin" every 3 days. On those days I really try to make it a point to go skate about 2 hours after taking the medicine because it leaves me feeling incredible- creative, motivated, focused, and flowing. It translates well with whatever I do- whether I end up building shit in the yard, sitting on slap, drawing, teaching, or school work. Skating with that subtle shift is just wonderful though. Mind y'all, I'm not very good these days, but I'm getting some shit back and experiencing greater focus and the ability to skate with less fear- that doesn't mean fearless, but rather better able to understand and assess risks and how to use the body. On top the focus, I just feel lighter.

I used to puff tuff all the time. Burn a blunt before, during, and after a sesh. smoking that much just made it too hard to feel good about anything while skating. I need a good 30-40 minutes come down before feeling good/out of my head enough to skate and even then it was sorta just like "aaah, I'm not fucked anymore and can land this trick, yay." I had some friends though, who could really lay it down while blazing. I used to like skating when I was drinking a few beers, but it was never productive other than skating way faster than I might otherwise.

So ya, I love weed and skating, but it's like anything else I do with weed, I don't wanna get too high. I'm all about finding the perfect amount to institute ease in the body and subtle shift of consciousness.
[close]

do you drift off/trip with 0.3g? ;D

not usually. sometimes there's a very minor shift in visual perception, like trails/tracers coming off a moving vehicle, but it's subtle and not really noticeable if you're doing something else. for instance, I was out for a bike ride and stopped at a light, as the truck in front on my drove off, I noticed black tire tread marks follow if for a moment. That's been pretty rare though. Mostly it's extra energy and stuff, kinda feels like it's knocking my mind/body/stress back 10 years.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind