Author Topic: How does smoking weed affect your skating compared with when you're sober?  (Read 7368 times)

jamersonbass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 70
When I moved back to my hometown 10 years ago, tail between my legs after an abusive relationship, I was kind of a mess with weed and alcohol abuse.  I was able to get my old job back, but only part-time.  So days off, I'd drive a half hour for a shitty, pre-fab park.  Used to skate there all the time, but after 6 years, the locals were ripping when I'd show up in the evening after work.

I started a routine of smoking a bowl in the morning, eating breakfast, drinking a couple cups of coffee, and on the drive up I would take a poke or two off my one-hitter.  Worked incredibly well for a couple years.

Early last spring, I was vaping some green crack, thinking it would sharpen me up, even though my brain chemistry hates Sativa's usually.  We got the spot and I didn't even want to pop my nose or tail for like 40 minutes...

Couple of beers and I'm not too faded, and have been known to be a bit ballsier (false confidence).  Now I usually end the session at the brew pub and go home and smoke after the sash.

Brguy

Expand Quote
Who cares? The real question is why is drinking so glorified in skateboarding. Drinking is a completely stupid thing to do while skating. Come at me bro.  :D
[close]

Because it's fun. I don't even drink anymore but I understand why people do it. I don't see the problem with having a couple of beers with your homies while you skate unless you're getting drunk. One time I drank a bunch of riot punch (grain alcohol with blue gatorade) and went to MIA skatepark. I tried a kickflip in the parking lot and split my chin wide open on the rough asphalt. Everything in moderation.
A friend of mine had one of those recently, little hole in his chin from trying a bs smith in a very small bowl(very, very small). The line he did before probably made him think he was still in conditions to skate, lol.

smellsdead

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1214
i got 5 on it

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
i got 5 on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiZ3XtGtmQs

best version, fuckin e 40 killing it, spice 1 with the ender verse, rip shock g

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I was thinking about this just the other day

I have been eating a small amount of THC (<5mg), like a vitamin, every morning since December. I also take .3g psilocybin mushroom capsule as a "vitamin" every 3 days. On those days I really try to make it a point to go skate about 2 hours after taking the medicine because it leaves me feeling incredible- creative, motivated, focused, and flowing. It translates well with whatever I do- whether I end up building shit in the yard, sitting on slap, drawing, teaching, or school work. Skating with that subtle shift is just wonderful though. Mind y'all, I'm not very good these days, but I'm getting some shit back and experiencing greater focus and the ability to skate with less fear- that doesn't mean fearless, but rather better able to understand and assess risks and how to use the body. On top the focus, I just feel lighter.

I used to puff tuff all the time. Burn a blunt before, during, and after a sesh. smoking that much just made it too hard to feel good about anything while skating. I need a good 30-40 minutes come down before feeling good/out of my head enough to skate and even then it was sorta just like "aaah, I'm not fucked anymore and can land this trick, yay." I had some friends though, who could really lay it down while blazing. I used to like skating when I was drinking a few beers, but it was never productive other than skating way faster than I might otherwise.

So ya, I love weed and skating, but it's like anything else I do with weed, I don't wanna get too high. I'm all about finding the perfect amount to institute ease in the body and subtle shift of consciousness.
[close]

do you drift off/trip with 0.3g? ;D
[close]

not usually. sometimes there's a very minor shift in visual perception, like trails/tracers coming off a moving vehicle, but it's subtle and not really noticeable if you're doing something else. for instance, I was out for a bike ride and stopped at a light, as the truck in front on my drove off, I noticed black tire tread marks follow if for a moment. That's been pretty rare though. Mostly it's extra energy and stuff, kinda feels like it's knocking my mind/body/stress back 10 years.

What happens if you eat like 3-4 grams? Are the effects subdued, the same, or do you strictly micro dose?
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

dr.prestige

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 299
  • rest in peace Loaf
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
If my tolerance is already really high then skating high doesn't really mess with me much, it basically feels normal. I've noticed that generally I'll have a good session when slightly high but if I smoke too much I get too lazy to try anything or want to exert myself and end up doing no-grind lines around the bowl until I start coming down.

I have a much better time skating on psychedelics, I've done tricks on acid I've never been able to do since. They don't always put me in a skating mood though, and I've noticed that while I'm peaking it's hard to do anything let alone skate so I've kind of decided that the best course of action is to chill out and watch/listen to stimulating media or go on a walk in nature while peaking and then go skate after a couple hours when your mind is easier to use.

As for drinking while skating I've eaten too much shit as a result of that over the years to justify continuing to do it. When you're drunk it sure seems like a fun idea to skate but it almost always ends in some sort of injury for me, and usually quickly. I remember eating shit on a kickturn at Pacifica skate park not even halfway into a tall can and pretty much immediately deciding drinking and skating isn't my thing.

Op, you ok man? Being real here, you doin alright?

keepthefunkalive

• Rep: 129
Usually have 2 beers throughout the session. Smoke about 1 hour in. If the come-down results in being sluggish and messing up easy tricks, I'm done. If I'm still on point, I'll smoke again. I usually don't have more than 3 hours in my old ass anyway.

As far as how it affects my skating, it usually makes it more fun. Might make me suck ass and it might make me actually put together a line or two. I'll usually try stuff I don't normally do, so overall it helps my progression I'd say. Might learn something new, might not. That's skating in general I guess

fakie butt drop

• Rep: 12
  • it is what it is
rule of thumb: drink and smoke while you skate - not before
the end.

livin on a speyer

Makes me feel clumsy. Weed is wack.

Circaskater420

• Rep: -76
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Usually just makes me suck for the rest of the day but every so often during the summer I’ll smoke while skating after being sufficiently warmed up and have a fucking amazing day until I get tired. 

Boog

• Rep: 190
Who cares? The real question is why is drinking so glorified in skateboarding. Drinking is a completely stupid thing to do while skating. Come at me bro.  :D
I agree.

baaaaaaguette

One beer is enough to throw me off so I try to avoid any kind of alcohol or substance until I’m too sore and tired. People who tank dozens of beers and tre flips into bowls are not of this world

baaaaaaguette

Usually have 2 beers throughout the session. Smoke about 1 hour in. If the come-down results in being sluggish and messing up easy tricks, I'm done. If I'm still on point, I'll smoke again. I usually don't have more than 3 hours in my old ass anyway.

As far as how it affects my skating, it usually makes it more fun. Might make me suck ass and it might make me actually put together a line or two. I'll usually try stuff I don't normally do, so overall it helps my progression I'd say. Might learn something new, might not. That's skating in general I guess

Damn that’s like the total opposite for me lol

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I have been eating a small amount of THC (<5mg), like a vitamin, every morning since December. I also take .3g psilocybin mushroom capsule as a "vitamin" every 3 days. On those days I really try to make it a point to go skate about 2 hours after taking the medicine because it leaves me feeling incredible- creative, motivated, focused, and flowing. It translates well with whatever I do- whether I end up building shit in the yard, sitting on slap, drawing, teaching, or school work. Skating with that subtle shift is just wonderful though. Mind y'all, I'm not very good these days, but I'm getting some shit back and experiencing greater focus and the ability to skate with less fear- that doesn't mean fearless, but rather better able to understand and assess risks and how to use the body. On top the focus, I just feel lighter.

I used to puff tuff all the time. Burn a blunt before, during, and after a sesh. smoking that much just made it too hard to feel good about anything while skating. I need a good 30-40 minutes come down before feeling good/out of my head enough to skate and even then it was sorta just like "aaah, I'm not fucked anymore and can land this trick, yay." I had some friends though, who could really lay it down while blazing. I used to like skating when I was drinking a few beers, but it was never productive other than skating way faster than I might otherwise.

So ya, I love weed and skating, but it's like anything else I do with weed, I don't wanna get too high. I'm all about finding the perfect amount to institute ease in the body and subtle shift of consciousness.
[close]

[close]

not usually. sometimes there's a very minor shift in visual perception, like trails/tracers coming off a moving vehicle, but it's subtle and not really noticeable if you're doing something else. for instance, I was out for a bike ride and stopped at a light, as the truck in front on my drove off, I noticed black tire tread marks follow if for a moment. That's been pretty rare though. Mostly it's extra energy and stuff, kinda feels like it's knocking my mind/body/stress back 10 years.
[close]

What happens if you eat like 3-4 grams? Are the effects subdued, the same, or do you strictly micro dose?

eating an 8th is still eating an 8th. I'm still tripping but might not* react as much as people who don't trip often I guess. I don't know if that's due to microdosing or having been tripping a few times per year for the past 20 years.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 10:26:56 PM by IusedToSkateMore »
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind

fakie butt drop

• Rep: 12
  • it is what it is
Read the title of the thread my guy- its about lettuce

CorneliusCardew

• Rep: -53
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Sometimes it makes me want to repeat tricks and perfect them... tunnel vision... which I hate when I am sober

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
Sometimes it makes me want to repeat tricks and perfect them... tunnel vision... which I hate when I am sober

for sure. i'll go and try some flat trick i'm barely able to do for an hour or try to do shit with no base in reality, like trying to flip into grinds i have trouble ollieing into, thinking i could land a random switch trick i've never ever done on flat.

what works really well for some reason is doing flips down shit. i haven't done it in years, but that used to be easier when stoned. for some reason i can't ollie right when i'm really fucked up and then i will try to flip everything or try to switch ollie instead, because switch at least seems more natural and easy when i'm high.

boi-cuzudo

Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Nice!! Would 0.3 be on the stronger side for a microdose? I don't know anything about microdoses...

And someone commented of 4g, I think it's actually considered a high dose/strong trip even if you are used to tripping...depending on the species...

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 557
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

eating an 8th is still eating an 8th. I'm still tripping but might not* react as much as people who don't trip often I guess. I don't know if that's due to microdosing or having been tripping a few times per year for the past 20 years.

Neat, thanks!
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

cherry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
thc raises hist-amine and may over stimulate you like methamphet-amine
like potential for psychosis from high thc low cbd strains
and can also be pro inflammatory if you already have inflammation

and cbd/cbg etc is anti inflammatory and makes you loose and happier

studies found that exposure to THC could suppress mast cell activation. Mast cells are found in connective tissue and their activation triggers the release of histamine. So suppressing mast cell activation could prevent or reduce the severity of your allergies.

cherry

• SLAP Pal
Some bacteria that naturally live in our bodies can produce histamine. When these are overgrown (e.g. in dysbiosis) or are misplaced (e.g. in SIBO), excess histamine can build up and cause symptoms. Cells called mast cells line the gut, and are the cells that are responsible for the release of most histamine.

2009 study found that cannabinoids impaired activation of mouse T-cells (a type of white blood cell). Since T-cell activation increases antibody responses, it leads to increased histamine and thus, increased allergic reactions. By impairing this activation, cannabinoids are able to reduce the antibody response and help lesson your allergy symptoms.

cherry

• SLAP Pal
Not sure how u think meth and weed compare at all or what study u got that idea from but if you’re really worried about histamine, Coffee is high in histamine which can set off what looks like an allergic reaction but it doesn't occur through the typical allergy mechanism. Instead, the histamine from the coffee causes an inflammatory reaction that can be quite severe in some people.

Algar

• Rep: 28
Weed these days makes me  tired and super sore.  Occasionally it will trigger some creativity and inspiration but I really need to be feeling the setting and the people I’m around.

Back when I was younger skating stoned was super thrilling and although sometimes it would kill the session especially if I went overboard I would mostly skate really well and feel really loose and could just throw tricks out there.

Beer gets me amped for a few but starts to make me sloppy pretty quickly after 2 or 3.

Honestly, as corny as it sounds, just being sober, well rested and fed and a setting that doesn’t frustrate me (which can happen especially being a grump old fart) I feel really fucking good and on, and when I try to mess with it by throwing in substances it usually is something I regret and kills the sesh (weed) or shortens it (beers)

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -197
Some bacteria that naturally live in our bodies can produce histamine. When these are overgrown (e.g. in dysbiosis) or are misplaced (e.g. in SIBO), excess histamine can build up and cause symptoms. Cells called mast cells line the gut, and are the cells that are responsible for the release of most histamine.

2009 study found that cannabinoids impaired activation of mouse T-cells (a type of white blood cell). Since T-cell activation increases antibody responses, it leads to increased histamine and thus, increased allergic reactions. By impairing this activation, cannabinoids are able to reduce the antibody response and help lesson your allergy symptoms.

are you histamine intolerant? i think i might be, funny enough because of an entire summer where i would skate, then have a massive amount of edibles and eat like total garbage while watching of kung fu movies, i think it fucked up my gut flora

Dirk_Diggler

I only like skating stoned when I’m by myself at night skating a parking lot or with my good friends. I never go to skateparks high..or just any public place except for maybe concerts. As much as I love weed, it’s really something I mainly like to do at the comfort of my own home. I tend to overthink everything and get social anxiety when I skate in front of people I don’t know, even when I’m sober, and weed can make that situation more uncomfortable for me.

Tyrone Slothrop

• Rep: 9
Me and a friend were skating a park downtown and we smoked a bit. I then saw this Samoan guy wearing nothing but jean shorts frontside ollie this channel between two steep banks. I got really hyped on it so I did a line around the park. I skated back up to my friend to ask if he saw my line, to which he informed me I hadn't done a single trick.

CrappyChan

• Rep: -54
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
I used to smoke and skate every day all the goddamn time. I think it kept me feeling too comfortable, I never seemed to progress. I quit smoking last year and I feel like I skate alot better in general. The laziness factor is less. I like drinking a big ole fosters while I warm up, puts me in a good headspace, as does a men at work record
"From Todd Falcon to Tony Hawk, the Ben Raybourn story"

fuhkin_powahfood_kid

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Nice!! Would 0.3 be on the stronger side for a microdose? I don't know anything about microdoses...

And someone commented of 4g, I think it's actually considered a high dose/strong trip even if you are used to tripping...depending on the species...

who I first started the microdosing, I was taking .1.  Not too long ago a friend shared a .3 capsule and I decided that was my sweet spot. I tried doubling up last weekend with .6 and it was just uncomfortable. The yawns, jaw can't decide if it wants to completely let go or clench, kinda want to just go to sleep but have too much energy. I don't know if that's ever been an experience you've had, eating more than .5 but less than 1.5, but I really don't particularly enjoy straddling the threshold like that.
If you plant ice, you’re gonna harvest wind