Author Topic: Mellow Concave  (Read 4356 times)

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Mellow Concave
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2021, 09:13:17 PM »

I recently got a tester/sample deck from a newer US woodshop and it was FLAT.
The nose was incredibly flexy when I would set up nollie. Is that normal, or poor craftsmanship?

Some would say that is not so good, to be polite.

You want a deck that is stiff enough to hold your weight so would be curious how long it lasts overall, but if it is flatter, it will have more flex than something that has more concave.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 847
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2021, 11:34:32 PM »
Expand Quote

The nose was incredibly flexy when I would set up nollie. Is that normal, or poor craftsmanship?
[close]

You want a deck that is stiff enough to hold your weight so would be curious how long it lasts overall, but if it is flatter, it will have more flex than something that has more concave.

I would say that's fine and even preferable in some situations and definitely not an indicator of it being bad, especially on a flat board. A lot of my friends who try PS wood after skating something stiff use the term "flexy" when I ask what their first impressions are, but once you get used to it you might actually find that you prefer it.

If flex meant a board was bad no one would ever skate flight/vx decks and everyone would be clamoring for those 8 ply resin soaked bricks that dwindle used to make. And we'd all be wearing moon boots because landing bolts would fucking suck.

backinaction

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2021, 07:31:19 AM »
Welcome shapes are all over the place but last one of those I had was very flat and PS Stix

They switched to BBS this spring. I haven’t skated a new one.

ManimalChin

• Rep: 22
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2021, 11:46:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I would say that's fine and even preferable in some situations and definitely not an indicator of it being bad, especially on a flat board. A lot of my friends who try PS wood after skating something stiff use the term "flexy" when I ask what their first impressions are, but once you get used to it you might actually find that you prefer it.

If flex meant a board was bad no one would ever skate flight/vx decks and everyone would be clamoring for those 8 ply resin soaked bricks that dwindle used to make. And we'd all be wearing moon boots because landing bolts would fucking suck.

It's generally preferred to want stiff kicks. I wonder what the concave on that board is like if it's flat and flexible nose.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1030
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2021, 06:35:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Ha yeah, I was going to add if a board is too stiff, then it is more likely to break than bend, but I think that is more a "too dry" issue with some boards I have seen, snapped like twigs and they just seem like there is nothing to them.

I skated an old DLX board that I knew had been in a shop window for a long time and cracked the nose on a poorly landed no warm up kickflip, but then left it in a place I knew had high moisture content and although it went a bit soggy, it was actually a decent deck and lasted a lot longer than I thought it would, where other boards would have just snapped without that treatment and been done.

From flying in and out every other week for almost a decade, my "away board" decks still skated fine but always felt heavier and almost waterlogged when compared to my stay at home boards, but that is another story entirely.

Back on topic, when I drive over boards, they do flatten out but some also tend to have a lot more flex than when new, some more than others, but only a couple have felt over the top and not so good from this process.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2021, 08:19:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Super agree with this.
PS is still the best for me, 8.5x14.25x31.75ish, currently, and it’s the best board I’ve had in so long

TastyBurrito

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 545
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2021, 08:29:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Super agree with this.
PS is still the best for me, 8.5x14.25x31.75ish, currently, and it’s the best board I’ve had in so long

I've ridden a few Quasi boards with this dimension. Mellow and nice. Then these dimensions are nice all around, even with steeper kicks (Creature Stumps, FA, Hockey). I've never been upset with it.

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2021, 10:32:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Super agree with this.
[close]

I've ridden a few Quasi boards with this dimension. Mellow and nice. Then these dimensions are nice all around, even with steeper kicks (Creature Stumps, FA, Hockey). I've never been upset with it.

My Polar is 8.5x14.5x32.25 and it’s about perfect. Fairly mellow kicks and concave, riding pretty loose and no wheel bite. It’s a BBS, so it’s a little flexy, but not soggy at all.

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2023, 04:54:47 PM »
Hey! Wasn’t sure where to post this and didn’t want to start a whole new thread.

I’m curious if there is anyway to know whether a Toy Machine board is one of the PS molds with the super mellow concave without having it in hand?

I usually go to my local and can tell pretty easily which is the mellow mold, but I wasn’t sure if anyone had any advice if I have to buy online.

I grabbed an 8.5 Axel and I really like the 19-ish degree kicks!

OhioGuy

• Rep: 61
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2023, 05:37:08 PM »
Hey! Wasn’t sure where to post this and didn’t want to start a whole new thread.

I’m curious if there is anyway to know whether a Toy Machine board is one of the PS molds with the super mellow concave without having it in hand?

I usually go to my local and can tell pretty easily which is the mellow mold, but I wasn’t sure if anyone had any advice if I have to buy online.

On their site they used to list if the deck was mellow. You can also tell if it’s PS Stix looking at the top pile. The engraving is easy to see even in pictures.

Lou Strux

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2207
  • The Swede is down at Venice Beach, shove off!
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2023, 05:42:04 PM »

Yeah, well… here’s the bad news: in order to get angle-of-kick data without having the product in hand, you’re probably going to have to get in good with the shop dood at your nearest local.
To do this, I recommend blowing him in a back alley somewhere near the shop.
If you bring him a 6 pack of strong IPA, he might even call/text you when the latest drop of PS wood arrives on the shelves.
Now you know.
And knowing is half the battle.
Choking down a dick is the other half, BTW.

I wanna play you in a game of SKATE for the right to continue talking shit on me.  You think you got me?

WelcomeToHell

• Rep: 256
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2023, 06:00:30 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
On their site they used to list if the deck was mellow. You can also tell if it’s PS Stix looking at the top pile. The engraving is easy to see even in pictures.

Thanks! Yeah I know how to tell if it’s PS. Just not if it’s mellow. I’ll check on the TM site.