Author Topic: is nike cutting skate program soon?  (Read 62850 times)

Murge

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 427
Re: is nike cutting skate program soon?
« Reply #180 on: May 04, 2021, 06:43:29 AM »
Expand Quote
oh lakai made a Germany tour called "BRATWURST" like that's the amount of love they give back. 3 team riders skating a park 6 sitting around not doing shit. the hard life of a skateboarder.

fuck core companys. fuck skateboarders. I like human beings. I hate most skaters for the amount of stupidity in their fucking stupid ass brain. fuck core skateboarding and all their greedy loser bosses making shitty shoes for 34 old "I understand capitalism" fuck heads. fuck you and your pretentious smart acting.

the amount of scamming crailtap has done is insane. in my opinion some the pros deserve to land on the streets or in jail. you are telling me you build up expectations for tricks for the pro you got on your team for damn near 20 year and all they film is a 30s-1min clip of a fs noslide and a 5-0 stall kick flip out? that's insane to have that as your job.
people build houses, streets, homes for people to live in. they wipe the shitty asses of grandpas every single day and only get a tiny amount of the money a pro gets over the years.
and y'all complain if not those guys have to buy themselves shoes in the near future for not wanting to have even the tiniest amount of marketing going on.

completly insane
[close]

u mad bro

Oh he’s BIG mad.

fs180

• Rep: -267
« Reply #181 on: May 04, 2021, 06:50:39 AM »
all im saying is if nike leaves some team riders behind they still did more for skateboarding than most core skatecompanys have.

yes im mad that demo sucked and made me rethink what my favorite skateboarders do for living while my family struggles to make a living while having 9/5 jobs.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #182 on: May 04, 2021, 07:26:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is all nonsense

Nyjah is the most marketable skateboarder alive right now hands down. The core community isn’t as high on him, but crossover appeal matters way more in marketing.  There’s tons of examples of this in many different fields. Both of Nyjah’s shoes double as workout shoes for a reason.
[close]

I don't think so. I haven't seen any product with his name on the streets  for years.
[close]
something was definitely up with nyjah, shops were being asked to send back all of his shoes by nike for a little bit.
[close]

I am not sure about this. We’ve only seen rumors at this point, and we’re still seeing new color ways dropping.
[close]
that request came to me straight from nike, but then once we got them boxed up, they said it was cool and we didnt need to send em back.

maybe they were fuckin with you

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

fs180

« Reply #183 on: May 04, 2021, 07:34:49 AM »
Lakai wants more market share to. Everyone in this business wants it. Its not like nike came bought all people and thats it. Nike has made the most loved shoes in sneaker history and continued to do the same in skateboarding.
Janoski isnt a top tier pro. Yet they trusted him and made one of the best selling shoes of all time. It was worth for both and the culture.
Skateboarding loves to steal designs from nike and fashion in general, much more often than its the other way around and everytime some company takes something from skating you guys go insane.
Why would i give a shit if mike Caroll or a guy at nike gets my money. Both have the same amount of skate footage each year, none, both never gave a fuck about me.

Both uses shitty china factories.
Id rather look cool in my nikes tbh.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
« Reply #184 on: May 04, 2021, 07:45:57 AM »
Lakai wants more market share to. Everyone in this business wants it. Its not like nike came bought all people and thats it. Nike has made the most loved shoes in sneaker history and continued to do the same in skateboarding.
Janoski isnt a top tier pro. Yet they trusted him and made one of the best selling shoes of all time. It was worth for both and the culture.
Skateboarding loves to steal designs from nike and fashion in general, much more often than its the other way around and everytime some company takes something from skating you guys go insane.
Why would i give a shit if mike Caroll or a guy at nike gets my money. Both have the same amount of skate footage each year, none, both never gave a fuck about me.

post a fit, fuckboy

exlurker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
« Reply #185 on: May 04, 2021, 07:50:06 AM »
All i'm saying is that McDonalds has done more for skating than ANY core company. Fuck you Mike Carroll - you want all this money from me, and yet you have NEVER sold a decent mcnugget in your pathetic life. Save me your precious "skater-owned" bullshit - call me when I can buy my family a Lakai dinner for 15 dollars

fs180

« Reply #186 on: May 04, 2021, 08:02:37 AM »
that causality doesn't make sense since it has nothing to do with making skate products.
it be the same if you'd say mcdonalds makes the best burgers on the planet instead of smaller burger shops but It really isn't the same because since non of you guys pay more than nike shoes to get something better than a nike shoes it doesn't make sense.
also you can't make shoes at home but burgers.
also mcdonalds burgers are produced very quickly in low quality. nike has far better rubber and quality than f.e. globe shoes that get mass produced.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 528
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #187 on: May 04, 2021, 08:22:49 AM »
all im saying is if nike leaves some team riders behind they still did more for skateboarding than most core skatecompanys have.

yes im mad that demo sucked and made me rethink what my favorite skateboarders do for living while my family struggles to make a living while having 9/5 jobs.

Skateboarders should own skateboard companies. Not because they're good people but because they're skateboarders. Also, you contradict yourself. You say both skater-owned and non-skater-owned companies only care about money, and argue against viewing this morally. Then you say but non-skater-owned companies have given back more to skating than skater-owned companies, making a moral argument.

The first is actually correct. We shouldn't view this morally. We should view it as a power struggle and skaters should have the power in skateboarding whether they're "good" people or not.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1101
« Reply #188 on: May 04, 2021, 08:25:07 AM »

That’s the thing, what is (insert your shoe brand here) but a less successful Nike? Do you think that Etnies doesn’t want Nike’s cultural capital or market share? Do people think Lakai is a worker-run co-op making shoes from organic cotton and rubber?

As usual, people are complaining that the culture around the toy they love is changing at the same time they are growing too old to be effectively marketed to. The only way to win is not to play.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #189 on: May 04, 2021, 08:27:32 AM »
All i'm saying is that McDonalds has done more for skating than ANY core company. Fuck you Mike Carroll - you want all this money from me, and yet you have NEVER sold a decent mcnugget in your pathetic life. Save me your precious "skater-owned" bullshit - call me when I can buy my family a Lakai dinner for 15 dollars

The companies you love are not doing anything for “the culture”; they are marketing products to you in order to reap a profit. The rub here is that Nike’s marketing is larger and different in a way that scares skaters.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #190 on: May 04, 2021, 08:34:35 AM »
Is this gonna turn into another "no ethical consumption under capitalism" thread ?
Because I agree but I still prefer my money NOT going to nike

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #191 on: May 04, 2021, 08:40:37 AM »
Is this gonna turn into another "no ethical consumption under capitalism" thread ?
Because I agree but I still prefer my money NOT going to nike

That’s fine, we all have our buying preferences. I don’t care so long as you’re not skating endangered White Rhino leather sneakers.

Reducing skate culture to consumptive habits is why a company like Nike would want to be a major player in skateboarding. Skaters are more attached to brands than most other consumers, only we believe for some reason that NHS, SoleTech, HSP all have our best interests at heart and protect the culture, when in reality the culture was always the product.

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 77
« Reply #192 on: May 04, 2021, 08:40:51 AM »

Nikes look cool?

I guess if you're a 10 year old on Instagram posting slow-Motion nightmare flips or whatever to trap music, they probably look cool to the other 10 year olds who are watching.

fs180

« Reply #193 on: May 04, 2021, 08:57:44 AM »

i dont connect nike to the 10 year old instagram skater edit I have a connection in my brain with Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Michael Jordan and all those people making insane things while wearing nike.
I know you all have something against athletic things but id rather get hyped on somebody making something insane with his body and its borders than a alcoholic skater complaining about a paycheck while doing absolutely nothing relevant in his career and being ok with it. even milking companies for checks without actually being productive.

Coldpizza

• Rep: 161
« Reply #194 on: May 04, 2021, 09:03:04 AM »

In all honesty, you should be more upset about “workload” to income ratio with a lot of Nike employees. I won’t say Nike has done nothing for skateboarding, but to think that they have done more for skate culture than someone like Carroll is just foolish. You like Nikes, great, but maybe turn that same lense you have on “your favorite pros” towards that global corporation you’re so eagerly defending.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

fs180

« Reply #195 on: May 04, 2021, 09:11:06 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
In all honesty, you should be more upset about “workload” to income ratio with a lot of Nike employees. I won’t say Nike has done nothing for skateboarding, but to think that they have done more for skate culture than someone like Carroll is just foolish. You like Nikes, great, but maybe turn that same lense you have on “your favorite pros” towards that global corporation you’re so eagerly defending.

what has mike carroll done for someone like me?

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #196 on: May 04, 2021, 09:12:41 AM »
Do you want your money going to this guy

or this guy?

I couldn't care less that Mike Carroll is not down at the orphanage feeding hungry infants. He's a skateboarder and the other guy is some fucking rich yuppie who can't ollie.

eranka

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 203
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #197 on: May 04, 2021, 09:13:38 AM »
Craig sold sub par skateboards for years, selling shitty decks to skaters hurt the scene more than anything. i dont care how core you are, the second you sell shitty gear youre out. its cool that they gave their homies a good salary, but in the big picture Crail is a horrible company, from selling shitty gear to not fully hooking up some of the biggest talents in the last 15 years and keeping them in a shitty sponsor limbo, hell, they fucking burned out Travis Stenger, for that alone they should be done as a company.
i really want to like Crail because they do have some of my favorite skaters in their team, but the more i think about it the less i like them.

fs180

« Reply #198 on: May 04, 2021, 09:27:51 AM »
i want it to go to the guy who gives me the best product while still reinvesting the money in the culture.
that's what nike did over the last decade. more than they probably should have.

i also find it bad that those factories don't give a shit about the workers but I don't believe it looks any different at lakai etnies etc.

also the creativity you guys seem to miss so much in shoe design:

every alternative made out of eco friendly parts always looks like a boring converse one star or a vans old skool.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #199 on: May 04, 2021, 09:37:12 AM »

or this guy?

I couldn't care less that Mike Carroll is not down at the orphanage feeding hungry infants. He's a skateboarder and the other guy is some fucking rich yuppie who can't ollie.

Insane that anyone would care which rich guy got the profit from the purchase of a pair of shoes made by a contractor in a third world factory.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #200 on: May 04, 2021, 09:41:07 AM »
Maybe they use bad labor practices, but the reality is that buying skater owned (while you still can) means your money does not go to a globe-spanning behemoth that causes unfathomable environmental harm and human suffering in literally dozens of nations because it's so much cheaper to make every possible kind of shoe and garment when they ravage the land and work their child slaves to death. 

Core companies are literally incapable of that degree of harm just by virtue of being that much smaller and more focused on the skate market, as opposed to trying to take over every aspect of the global shoe and athletic equipment marketplace they possibly can.  Perhaps buying core is harm reduction?  I mostly skate Adidas these days so I'm not perfect on this count by any stretch, but it's food for thought.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #201 on: May 04, 2021, 09:41:22 AM »
Expand Quote

or this guy?

[close]

Insane that anyone would care which rich guy got the profit from the purchase of a pair of shoes made by a contractor in a third world factory.

It's not insane because skateboarders should be in charge of their own industry. If given the choice, I will always buy from people who are actually from the scene, and that's not just skateboarding.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #202 on: May 04, 2021, 09:53:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

or this guy?

[close]

[close]

It's not insane because skateboarders should be in charge of their own industry.

Why? Does this extend to the countless other companies in the industry owned by non-skaters? Everything from NHS and High-Speed Productions comes to mind.

If given the choice, I will always buy from people who are actually from the scene, and that's not just skateboarding.

So you don’t care who exploits third world labor, so long as the person doing it cares about “the scene”?

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #203 on: May 04, 2021, 09:55:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

or this guy?

[close]

[close]

It's not insane because skateboarders should be in charge of their own industry.
[close]

Why? Does this extend to the countless other companies in the industry owned by non-skaters? Everything from NHS and High-Speed Productions comes to mind.

Expand Quote
If given the choice, I will always buy from people who are actually from the scene, and that's not just skateboarding.
[close]

So you don’t care who exploits third world labor, so long as the person doing it cares about “the scene”?

No he's saying that if both companies suck, at least he's giving money to the one a bit connected to the culture

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #204 on: May 04, 2021, 09:55:44 AM »
Maybe they use bad labor practices, but the reality is that buying skater owned (while you still can) means your money does not go to a globe-spanning behemoth that causes unfathomable environmental harm and human suffering in literally dozens of nations because it's so much cheaper to make every possible kind of shoe and garment when they ravage the land and work their child slaves to death. 

Core companies are literally incapable of that degree of harm just by virtue of being that much smaller and more focused on the skate market, as opposed to trying to take over every aspect of the global shoe and athletic equipment marketplace they possibly can.  Perhaps buying core is harm reduction?  I mostly skate Adidas these days so I'm not perfect on this count by any stretch, but it's food for thought.

Half of my point here is that “harm reduction” via selecting a different brand of shoe made in materially similar conditions by third world laborers is effectively meaningless.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #205 on: May 04, 2021, 09:59:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

or this guy?

[close]

[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

No he's saying that if both companies suck, at least he's giving money to the one a bit connected to the culture

And the other half of my point is that “the culture”, especially in regards to which product you consume, exists primarily as marketing. “Culture” should not be Lakai footwear, and by whatever standard these brands are “part of the culture”, how is Nike, with their (maybe now former) large team of pro skaters, flow riders, videos, skateparks, events, etc. any less a part of it?

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #206 on: May 04, 2021, 10:01:15 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Half of my point here is that “harm reduction” via selecting a different brand of shoe made in materially similar conditions by third world laborers is effectively meaningless.

Perhaps, but there's a lot of info out there showing that Nike is a uniquely bad actor owing to the size and scope of their global operations.  It's really pathetic that "voting with our dollars" is the only apparent recourse, but isn't the alternative just callous indifference, if not making your own shit?  I honestly don't know, but I could hardly blame someone for wanting to support a company that only makes a few dozen or hundred workers' lives harder as opposed to one that immiserates thousands or tens of thousands. 

Coldpizza

• Rep: 161
« Reply #207 on: May 04, 2021, 10:02:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

what has mike carroll done for someone like me?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

NorthShore

• Rep: 5
« Reply #208 on: May 04, 2021, 10:05:03 AM »

Good point, but just to be clear here: In the early 1990s, a former Airwalk employee set up a process with shoe factories in Korea and later other countries in the region and helped 'core' shoe companies manufacture shoes over there. With huge profit margins.

Do you think these factories were practicing sound environmental or labor practices?

Did the 'core' shoe companies care?

Have you smelled a warehouse full of 'core' shoes in the 1990s? It was like walking into a glue factory.

Looking back, a lot of 'core' shoes since the 1990s have been interchangeable product made for cheap with a logo slapped on for legitimacy. Everyone needs to judge for themselves what constitutes a well-made shoe.

Mr. Stinky

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #209 on: May 04, 2021, 10:14:05 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Good point, but just to be clear here: In the early 1990s, a former Airwalk employee set up a process with shoe factories in Korea and later other countries in the region and helped 'core' shoe companies manufacture shoes over there. With huge profit margins.

Do you think these factories were practicing sound environmental or labor practices?

Did the 'core' shoe companies care?

Have you smelled a warehouse full of 'core' shoes in the 1990s? It was like walking into a glue factory.

Looking back, a lot of 'core' shoes since the 1990s have been interchangeable product made for cheap with a logo slapped on for legitimacy. Everyone needs to judge for themselves what constitutes a well-made shoe.

I concede all that, I don't think there's anything better about the actual manner in which core companies manufacture their goods.  However, If Nike were held accountable (not by skaters, but people with power or an overwhelming number of ordinary people) and forced to change its practices, you'd better believe Lakai would have to as well.  Put differently: the whole reason why e.g. Lakai has such low standards for its labor and environmental practices is because an actor like Nike has succeeded at setting the bar so low for itself.