Author Topic: is nike cutting skate program soon?  (Read 62859 times)

honey island

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
Re: is nike cutting skate program soon?
« Reply #270 on: May 05, 2021, 04:43:06 PM »
I miss the days when skate shoe brands were built around a group of skaters who were friends. The Nike team is just a pile of skaters with no personal cohesion. Sure, there are people who are friends within the team, but the team is built around the brand and that rings hollow to me.

uh when did this happen? e....S in 2003?

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #271 on: May 05, 2021, 05:07:24 PM »
Expand Quote
I miss the days when skate shoe brands were built around a group of skaters who were friends. The Nike team is just a pile of skaters with no personal cohesion. Sure, there are people who are friends within the team, but the team is built around the brand and that rings hollow to me.
[close]

Maybe the original DC team, but everyone on the team being homies is more a board brands thing. Do people really think Koston, Penny, and Burnqvist were all hanging out outside of eS trips during the Menikmati era?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #272 on: May 05, 2021, 05:21:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

In our heads, when we were children
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

dilbert1

• Rep: 139
« Reply #273 on: May 05, 2021, 06:25:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I miss the days when skate shoe brands were built around a group of skaters who were friends.
[close]
[close]

"Yeah I mean capitalism stinks, but skateboard capitalism is different"

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -302
« Reply #274 on: May 05, 2021, 07:29:01 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Maybe not shoes, but skate brands used to at least be built around crews. This is one of the reasons skaters have a love for a company or image, it speaks to them.

I’ve said something along these lines years ago, but it’s relative to this thread;

Nike DOES NOT CARE ABOUT SKATEBOARDING, it cares about money, and yes of course brands like Emerica, Lakai care about money, but they have a deeper feeling about preserving the culture of skating.

Look at the Stay Flared tour, two brands out there TOGETHER with a common theme of pushing skateboading, yes it’s promoting brands as well to drive sales, but the fact they are doing it united and don’t see each other as “the competition” shows it’s not ALL about sales.

Brands like HUF that moved in a different direction to just skating only had a pro skateboarding team, this is because their roots are in the culture of skateboarding.

You think you would ever see the day Nike and Adidas or NB and Cons get together to promote the very culture they are trying to profit from? HELL NO, why?

Because they only care about money, not the culture or the future of skateboarding as a whole.

It really surprises me that skaters that love it enough to talk about every aspect of it all day on an internet forum with total strangers can’t or refuse to accept this. I like giving my money to companies that care about the very thing we are all passionate about vs giving my money to a person who see’s the culture I love as a cash cow.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1058
« Reply #275 on: May 05, 2021, 07:35:10 PM »
No joke, I heard pretty much all the top pros (Nyjah and Koston to name) of Nike are currently negotiating with Cariuma for 2022 and 2023 contracts.

Bay10Blues

• Rep: 5
« Reply #276 on: May 05, 2021, 07:35:40 PM »
Although the amount of $$ involved is vastly different between the 2 activities, Nike has also stopped renewing many of their soccer contracts, even for really big stars, see Neymar. He left for Puma, and several other well known players are now not on the Nike pay roll any longer. Maybe a larger sponsorship restructuring across brand?

FirstBlood82

• Rep: 117
« Reply #277 on: May 05, 2021, 09:46:32 PM »
No joke, I heard pretty much all the top pros (Nyjah and Koston to name) of Nike are currently negotiating with Cariuma for 2022 and 2023 contracts.

wat

cant wait not to see his tampa pro run

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 475
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #278 on: May 06, 2021, 02:44:23 AM »
Although the amount of $$ involved is vastly different between the 2 activities, Nike has also stopped renewing many of their soccer contracts, even for really big stars, see Neymar. He left for Puma, and several other well known players are now not on the Nike pay roll any longer. Maybe a larger sponsorship restructuring across brand?

Someone posted this the last time this same exact conversation reared its head. Podcast discussing Nike's move away from sponsored athletes

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/how-why-signature-shoes-for-nba-stars-may-soon-be-thing/id1435996305?i=1000495134597
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Ilya Oblomov

• Rep: 14
« Reply #279 on: May 06, 2021, 04:08:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I'm definitely talking about DC. But there were other brands that seemed, to my child brain, to be made up of people who were friends.

Axion
DVS
Fallen
Gravis
Huf
Habitat
IPath
Lakai
Osiris

ok boomer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #280 on: May 06, 2021, 04:10:42 AM »

ndsr

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 164
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #281 on: May 06, 2021, 04:12:27 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Maybe not shoes, but skate brands used to at least be built around crews. This is one of the reasons skaters have a love for a company or image, it speaks to them.

I’ve said something along these lines years ago, but it’s relative to this thread;

Nike DOES NOT CARE ABOUT SKATEBOARDING, it cares about money, and yes of course brands like Emerica, Lakai care about money, but they have a deeper feeling about preserving the culture of skating.

Look at the Stay Flared tour, two brands out there TOGETHER with a common theme of pushing skateboading, yes it’s promoting brands as well to drive sales, but the fact they are doing it united and don’t see each other as “the competition” shows it’s not ALL about sales.

Brands like HUF that moved in a different direction to just skating only had a pro skateboarding team, this is because their roots are in the culture of skateboarding.

You think you would ever see the day Nike and Adidas or NB and Cons get together to promote the very culture they are trying to profit from? HELL NO, why?

Because they only care about money, not the culture or the future of skateboarding as a whole.

It really surprises me that skaters that love it enough to talk about every aspect of it all day on an internet forum with total strangers can’t or refuse to accept this. I like giving my money to companies that care about the very thing we are all passionate about vs giving my money to a person who see’s the culture I love as a cash cow.

Respect

WadeDes

• Rep: -1
« Reply #282 on: May 06, 2021, 04:24:08 AM »
Kaspar van Lierop is no longer TM is confirmed. For the Dutch sponsored by Nike almost everyone is dropped except for Daan and two kids on the Olympic team. Someone told me that Nike will withdraw from skateshops and only sell through their own stores dropping SB from the label and will adept into Nike sportswear. Something with a manager on top who did not understand why they needed to have to do all these things for the culture. Today I saw a insta story of Jarne getting his favorite pair of shoes from Nike and being happy, not sure if this was sarcastic.   

fs180

• Rep: -267
« Reply #283 on: May 06, 2021, 04:30:41 AM »
I just don't ever believe any of those companies you just called out are fully skater owned.
there has to be a factory in china with a boss that doesn't give a single fuck about skating either way.
why is it so important to you that the shoes those guys are wearing were given in production by a guy that can 50-50 grind and not by a guy that has the characteristics of lets say your uncle?

I hate companies that use skating as a marketing tool too and often you can see them misinterpreting the culture and common cuts and preferred clothing choices.

but would there ever been a beige accell if it wasn't for timberland boots? I doubt it.
we feed of those things too gentlemen.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #284 on: May 06, 2021, 04:32:50 AM »
I just don't ever believe any of those companies you just called out are fully skater owned.
there has to be a factory in china with a boss that doesn't give a single fuck about skating either way.
why is it so important to you that the shoes those guys are wearing were given in production by a guy that can 50-50 grind and not by a guy that has the characteristics of lets say your uncle?

I hate companies that use skating as a marketing tool too and often you can see them misinterpreting the culture and common cuts and preferred clothing choices.

but would there ever been a beige accell if it wasn't for timberland boots? I doubt it. so there wouldn't be a 80 percent of emerica shoes if it wasn't for the fact that timberland got popularized by workers and main pop culture.
we feed of those things too gentlemen.

Would you rather skate in Timbs or with a skateshoe?
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

fs180

« Reply #285 on: May 06, 2021, 04:39:51 AM »
a skate shoe. doesn't change the fact that no skater ever developed any part of a skate shoe ever in his live.
all ideas by nike and Adidas and some surfer at vans by doing shoes over 100 years so a son of a bitch from California could make millions by just using those informations and making his own shoe out of it. just so the consumer who doesn't know shit can point a finger at nike because they are the bad company because they don't even skate in office bro. bet they don't even smoke pot in there or shot gun a beer fucking lames.

ok hats of for the d3 that was creative.
also janoskis. fuck.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 04:48:36 AM by fs180 »

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #286 on: May 06, 2021, 04:43:24 AM »
a skate shoe. doesn't change the fact that no skater ever developed any part of a skate shoe ever in his live.
all ideas by nike and Adidas and some surfer at vans by doing shoes over 100 years so a son of a bitch from California could make millions by just using those informations and making his own shoe out of it. just so the consumer who doesn't know shit can point a finger at nike because they are the bad company because they don't even skate in office bro. bet they don't even smoke pot in there or shot gun a beer fucking lames.

How about DESIGN, ENDORSEMENT and in some cases MONEY.

Is that enough?
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #287 on: May 06, 2021, 05:37:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm definitely talking about DC. But there were other brands that seemed, to my child brain, to be made up of people who were friends.

Axion
DVS
Fallen
Gravis
Huf
Habitat
IPath
Lakai
Osiris

Don't know if the riders were super close friends with each other, but shoe brands we're definitely aiming for different subcultures and styles in skateboarding. Now that seems almost completely lost

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1002
« Reply #288 on: May 06, 2021, 06:22:13 AM »
What a great list of successful and thriving shoe brands.

skate_lunch

• Rep: 0
« Reply #289 on: May 06, 2021, 07:03:20 AM »
The thing that is aggravating about Nike cutting down the skate program (if that is true) is that they are currently suppressing their own return on investment. SB Dunks are straight up on fire right now and if they mass released one black and white pair that anyone could buy at retail price it would probably pay for the skate program all by itself.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #290 on: May 06, 2021, 07:08:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I miss the days when skate shoe brands were built around a group of skaters who were friends.
[close]
[close]
[close]

"Yeah I mean capitalism stinks, but skateboard capitalism is different"

“This crew of strangers who marketed skate products to me were my friends, unlike Nike, with whom I have no parasocial relationship!”
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #291 on: May 06, 2021, 07:16:14 AM »
I had a shower thought this morning that I thought was funny. If Nike did shut down the SB program then the Terp shoe curse will finally be complete. Kevin Terpening will have proven that he is truly the grim reaper of shoe companies. eS, Gravis, Huf, and soon Nike SB
heard terp is signing to nike proper when they drop the SB badge. too big a fish to lose

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #292 on: May 06, 2021, 07:35:12 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Axion
DVS
Fallen
Gravis
Huf
Habitat
IPath
Lakai
Osiris
Early DVS sure since it was mostly friends from the early World brands who Gavin knew, but a lot of the rest is just marketing. You really think Pops was hanging out with Nick Jensen and Lucas Puig? Or Josh Kasper was calling up Louie and Jerry?

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #293 on: May 06, 2021, 07:39:59 AM »
The thing that is aggravating about Nike cutting down the skate program (if that is true) is that they are currently suppressing their own return on investment. SB Dunks are straight up on fire right now and if they mass released one black and white pair that anyone could buy at retail price it would probably pay for the skate program all by itself.
Lots of people would buy at first but then the only people buying would be skaters since the hype would die down?

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #294 on: May 06, 2021, 08:05:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Lol accurate

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 102
« Reply #295 on: May 06, 2021, 08:26:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Is that enough?

Yeah, that's a bullshit claim. Do they expect a skater to go to a Chinese factory and build them themselves? Sure, not every pro is going to design their own shoe these days but to say they're not involved whatsoever is BS

cumlover84

• Rep: 3
« Reply #296 on: May 06, 2021, 08:51:41 AM »
basically every skate shop in canada that can't sell dunks are dropping nike because there an absolute pain to work with and they have never sponsored contest or skaters in canada

fs180

« Reply #297 on: May 06, 2021, 09:00:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Is that enough?
[close]

Yeah, that's a bullshit claim. Do they expect a skater to go to a Chinese factory and build them themselves? Sure, not every pro is going to design their own shoe these days but to say they're not involved whatsoever is BS

no I don't I expect them to not claim to be the holy gods in shoe business because the money they make isn't going straight into skateboarders pockets.

I know you love the idea that your shoe company looks like your local skate shop and the owner is like your skate shop owner and fights to make a living so you buy some goods from him and he's so thankful and brave and talk about how the years fly by and he's still there and you sit in front of the shop and its getting melancholy.
that's just stupid.
give me an example for a shoe technology made by a skater?

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #298 on: May 06, 2021, 09:05:46 AM »
basically every skate shop in canada that can't sell dunks are dropping nike because there an absolute pain to work with and they have never sponsored contest or skaters in canada
They used to flow guys like Cephas from the Bunt. Nike also owns Cons who sponsor Bobby. Obviously, previously DC and Circa, and now Vans hook up more Canadian guys.

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #299 on: May 06, 2021, 09:09:48 AM »
Here's a comparison for perspective sake.

You have a small-town mom-and-pop hardware store.  They give back to your community, they live in your community, you know where they came from, they're friendly, etc.

Do they still sell pretty much the same shit as Home Depot? Yes. Same brands? Yes. Same manufacturers? Yes. 

Then Home Depot moves to town and opens up down the road. 

Are you gonna keep supporting your mom-and-pop hardware store? The one that gives you personal recommendations on purchases? Helps you out when in need? Gives back to your community? Puts dollars in the local economy?

Or are you gonna say fuck em? And justify that home depot is cheaper/better/bigger?

If your answer is Home Depot, you are the problem.  Not Home Depot, not the mom and pop, it's you as a consumer who has the fucking IQ of a toddler. 

Support within.  Community matters.  Conviction matters.  This isn't that hard.