Author Topic: is nike cutting skate program soon?  (Read 62992 times)

livin on a speyer

Re: is nike cutting skate program soon?
« Reply #330 on: May 06, 2021, 04:46:17 PM »
Your gif fucking sucks it looks so german its insane
What do you have against Germany?

SlapTM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 242
« Reply #331 on: May 06, 2021, 09:08:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
a skate shoe. doesn't change the fact that no skater ever developed any part of a skate shoe ever in his live.
all ideas by nike and Adidas and some surfer at vans by doing shoes over 100 years so a son of a bitch from California could make millions by just using those informations and making his own shoe out of it. just so the consumer who doesn't know shit can point a finger at nike because they are the bad company because they don't even skate in office bro. bet they don't even smoke pot in there or shot gun a beer fucking lames.
[close]

How about DESIGN, ENDORSEMENT and in some cases MONEY.

Is that enough?
[close]

Yeah, that's a bullshit claim. Do they expect a skater to go to a Chinese factory and build them themselves? Sure, not every pro is going to design their own shoe these days but to say they're not involved whatsoever is BS
[close]

no I don't I expect them to not claim to be the holy gods in shoe business because the money they make isn't going straight into skateboarders pockets.

I know you love the idea that your shoe company looks like your local skate shop and the owner is like your skate shop owner and fights to make a living so you buy some goods from him and he's so thankful and brave and talk about how the years fly by and he's still there and you sit in front of the shop and its getting melancholy.
that's just stupid.
give me an example for a shoe technology made by a skater?
[close]

Sole Tech (started by a skater) built a skatepark purely for the skaters they followed to work on and test out the science of the skate shoes they made
And also donated a ton of money for the skatepark in Lake Forest to get built as well as the Buy A Shoe, Plant A Tree program, putting on events such as Game of Skates, Wild in the Streets, demos/signings to get skaters to the local shop, giving away thousands of pairs of shoes to the homeless and much more.

I may come off bias but my opinions are purely from 20+ years of being a skateboarder, not because of who I work for.

First things first, I don't really have an issue of the corporate brands being in skateboarding. They're huge companies and saw opportunities to get into sports that they weren't in and wanted to make as much money as humanly possible. I get it and who am I to say who can or can't be in skateboarding. I can say though that I've never bought a pair of SB's, Adidas, Cons or #NB. Growing up there weren't many corporate brands in skating like there are today so all I knew about were the "core" footwear brands. Basically I wore mostly Emerica and Es with some Circa's and Fallen in the mix. Even after Nike and the rest of the corporate brands got into skateboarding, I never had any interest in supporting those brands because it just felt wrong to me. I wanted to support the guys that started brands for the right reasons, not to make a quick buck. I can tell you Pierre Andre started the Sole Tech brands because there just weren't a ton of footwear options for skateboarders back then. As a kid to an adult, that always stood out to me and was proud to support the brands that were there for the right reasons and deserved to be. It's very unfortunate that brands like Circa, Adio, HUF, and even Osiris (when it was cool at one point) couldn't survive due to those big brands coming in and taking over.

In regards to this thread, Nike doesn't give a fuck about skateboarding and neither do the other big brands. I'm not saying that in a hateful way, it's "nothing but the truth". The second those skateboarding programs aren't profitable, they will pull out. SB already did it in snowboarding and is doing it now in skate to a degree. Cutting pros, flow riders, and even valuable employees is proof enough. Now add in all the core skate shops they're pulling out of to focus on their own Direct to Consumer business model. Getting into these shops years ago just to become legitimized to skaters only to bail on shops to make more money for themselves is a giant fuck you to skate shops especially after posting that "58 reasons to support skate shops" video on Skate Shop Day while at the same time sending letters to shops dropping their accounts. There's no doubt that Nike did a great job recruiting core skateboarders to run SB and to me, it's a major red flag when they decide to get rid of the guys who basically built the SB program and helped make it so successful. At this point, SB is out of the hands of skateboarders and run by people who have never stepped foot on a skateboard and never will. The truth is that SB doesn't need 50+ team riders or to flow every kid anymore. They could just have a few riders such as Ishod, GT, Nyjah, Prod and be totally fine. They've already stated they're moving away from athlete endorsements. I don't think SB will ever fully cut the skate program but could they downsize it or murge SB into just Nike? Yeah, probably.

I won't be that guy that says "support skater owned because it's right thing to do". Support whatever you feel like. I just hope people realize that they can either support brands who truly care about skateboarding or those that don't. The more support the little guys get, the more they're able to do whether it be to take care of more skateboarders, put out more projects, give back to local skate scenes, etc. Some people care about skater owned and operated while some don't and that's totally okay. I think there's enough room for all the brands core or not to be in skateboarding but I'd rather give my money to the guys who are still doing kickflips in their mid-50's than to some suit who has never once thought about picking up a board and pushing down the street.

Colt Cannon's Cargos

• Rep: -5
« Reply #332 on: May 06, 2021, 09:47:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
a skate shoe. doesn't change the fact that no skater ever developed any part of a skate shoe ever in his live.
all ideas by nike and Adidas and some surfer at vans by doing shoes over 100 years so a son of a bitch from California could make millions by just using those informations and making his own shoe out of it. just so the consumer who doesn't know shit can point a finger at nike because they are the bad company because they don't even skate in office bro. bet they don't even smoke pot in there or shot gun a beer fucking lames.
[close]

Is that enough?
[close]

Yeah, that's a bullshit claim. Do they expect a skater to go to a Chinese factory and build them themselves? Sure, not every pro is going to design their own shoe these days but to say they're not involved whatsoever is BS
[close]

no I don't I expect them to not claim to be the holy gods in shoe business because the money they make isn't going straight into skateboarders pockets.

I know you love the idea that your shoe company looks like your local skate shop and the owner is like your skate shop owner and fights to make a living so you buy some goods from him and he's so thankful and brave and talk about how the years fly by and he's still there and you sit in front of the shop and its getting melancholy.
that's just stupid.
[close]

Sole Tech (started by a skater) built a skatepark purely for the skaters they followed to work on and test out the science of the skate shoes they made
[close]
And also donated a ton of money for the skatepark in Lake Forest to get built as well as the Buy A Shoe, Plant A Tree program, putting on events such as Game of Skates, Wild in the Streets, demos/signings to get skaters to the local shop, giving away thousands of pairs of shoes to the homeless and much more.

I may come off bias but my opinions are purely from 20+ years of being a skateboarder, not because of who I work for.

First things first, I don't really have an issue of the corporate brands being in skateboarding. They're huge companies and saw opportunities to get into sports that they weren't in and wanted to make as much money as humanly possible. I get it and who am I to say who can or can't be in skateboarding. I can say though that I've never bought a pair of SB's, Adidas, Cons or #NB. Growing up there weren't many corporate brands in skating like there are today so all I knew about were the "core" footwear brands. Basically I wore mostly Emerica and Es with some Circa's and Fallen in the mix. Even after Nike and the rest of the corporate brands got into skateboarding, I never had any interest in supporting those brands because it just felt wrong to me. I wanted to support the guys that started brands for the right reasons, not to make a quick buck. I can tell you Pierre Andre started the Sole Tech brands because there just weren't a ton of footwear options for skateboarders back then. As a kid to an adult, that always stood out to me and was proud to support the brands that were there for the right reasons and deserved to be. It's very unfortunate that brands like Circa, Adio, HUF, and even Osiris (when it was cool at one point) couldn't survive due to those big brands coming in and taking over.

In regards to this thread, Nike doesn't give a fuck about skateboarding and neither do the other big brands. I'm not saying that in a hateful way, it's "nothing but the truth". The second those skateboarding programs aren't profitable, they will pull out. SB already did it in snowboarding and is doing it now in skate to a degree. Cutting pros, flow riders, and even valuable employees is proof enough. Now add in all the core skate shops they're pulling out of to focus on their own Direct to Consumer business model. Getting into these shops years ago just to become legitimized to skaters only to bail on shops to make more money for themselves is a giant fuck you to skate shops especially after posting that "58 reasons to support skate shops" video on Skate Shop Day while at the same time sending letters to shops dropping their accounts. There's no doubt that Nike did a great job recruiting core skateboarders to run SB and to me, it's a major red flag when they decide to get rid of the guys who basically built the SB program and helped make it so successful. At this point, SB is out of the hands of skateboarders and run by people who have never stepped foot on a skateboard and never will. The truth is that SB doesn't need 50+ team riders or to flow every kid anymore. They could just have a few riders such as Ishod, GT, Nyjah, Prod and be totally fine. They've already stated they're moving away from athlete endorsements. I don't think SB will ever fully cut the skate program but could they downsize it or murge SB into just Nike? Yeah, probably.

I won't be that guy that says "support skater owned because it's right thing to do". Support whatever you feel like. I just hope people realize that they can either support brands who truly care about skateboarding or those that don't. The more support the little guys get, the more they're able to do whether it be to take care of more skateboarders, put out more projects, give back to local skate scenes, etc. Some people care about skater owned and operated while some don't and that's totally okay. I think there's enough room for all the brands core or not to be in skateboarding but I'd rather give my money to the guys who are still doing kickflips in their mid-50's than to some suit who has never once thought about picking up a board and pushing down the street.

tl;dr

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #333 on: May 06, 2021, 10:52:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Is that enough?
[close]

[close]

that's just stupid.
[close]

[close]

[close]

tl;dr

I read it and it was bang on.
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #334 on: May 06, 2021, 11:26:27 PM »
Their snow program was similar to how SB is now - they won over lots of "core" snow people, picked the right riders, had well done videos etc. and the product was based on classic Nike designs - and it surprised people when they ditched it.

When they pulled out of snowboarding in 2014 I remember hearing it was because Nike have some crazy expectations for growth/profit margins that they need to maintain if they're gonna operate in that market - like XXX% amount of year-on-year growth while keeping a profit margin of XXX% and "action sports" wasn't meeting them - basically they have a very strict definition of "profitable"

The Nike snow budget was reinvested back into growing Nike SB - which is weird since they had already known "action sports" as not profitable.

I'm pretty sure there is a similar story for them pulling out of Ice Hockey too.

Tuff Lover

• Rep: 4
« Reply #335 on: May 07, 2021, 01:22:08 AM »
I was watching Jaws last night... are Brody and Hooper wearing Vans?

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -209
« Reply #336 on: May 07, 2021, 01:47:41 AM »
I was watching Jaws last night... are Brody and Hooper wearing Vans?

rukes

• Rep: 216
  • Yabba dabba doo
« Reply #337 on: May 07, 2021, 02:28:53 AM »
Can someone explain to me why they think Nike is a good company to buy skate shoes from? Like, lay out an argument that's not based on "they're (all shoe companies) all bad (or the same)" or you're "you're clinging to the past." All I can really see is that the Nike logo holds some heavy micro-level social status flex, ie, wearing Nike is "cool" or fashionable. I'm not trying to be snarky, I just don't get it and would appreciate reading the take of y'all diehard Nike fans.

Because they do most of their shoes in a size 15 and you try walking into a skateshop and asking for a size 15.
Is it true?  Or did you read it on the slap message board?

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 398
« Reply #338 on: May 07, 2021, 02:36:19 AM »
Their snow program was similar to how SB is now - they won over lots of "core" snow people, picked the right riders, had well done videos etc. and the product was based on classic Nike designs - and it surprised people when they ditched it.

When they pulled out of snowboarding in 2014 I remember hearing it was because Nike have some crazy expectations for growth/profit margins that they need to maintain if they're gonna operate in that market - like XXX% amount of year-on-year growth while keeping a profit margin of XXX% and "action sports" wasn't meeting them - basically they have a very strict definition of "profitable"

The Nike snow budget was reinvested back into growing Nike SB - which is weird since they had already known "action sports" as not profitable.

I'm pretty sure there is a similar story for them pulling out of Ice Hockey too.

Good post.

DO you also happen to know what happend to the snowboard industry when Nike pulled out?

Did the "real core" companies flourish again? Did other new companies come in? Is Adidas even still in the Snowboard branch? I know Vans came in, and still is?

I feel like there's a parallel with skateboarding, so I'm genuinely wondering what happend in that scene afterwards.

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #339 on: May 07, 2021, 03:12:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Good post.

DO you also happen to know what happend to the snowboard industry when Nike pulled out?

Did the "real core" companies flourish again? Did other new companies come in? Is Adidas even still in the Snowboard branch? I know Vans came in, and still is?

I feel like there's a parallel with skateboarding, so I'm genuinely wondering what happend in that scene afterwards.

As far as I can tell, not too much. I don’t think Nike got as much of the market share, and their boots were not so sought after as to affect the shops too badly after they quit. It’s not like people were waiting for their ‘drops’.

Adidas is kind on in the periphery. They are there, but not really doing much except selling athletic-pant themed snowwear.

Vans has been in the game for a long time, so they are pretty entrenched. And put out videos every once in a while.

The other ‘core’ companies like 32 (a branch of Sole Technologies), Deluxe, and Burton seem to all have their niches, as well as other smaller board companies that sell their own line of boots.

It’s not quite the same situation where Nike has a lot of shops by the balls with order quotas and drops.

I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Ghost Face

• Rep: 107
« Reply #340 on: May 07, 2021, 03:23:45 AM »
DC is quite into Snow, right? They share quite a bit on IG and have a pretty big range including boards

https://www.dcshoes.com/snow/
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #341 on: May 07, 2021, 08:13:51 AM »
The thing is skateboarding is like cockroaches or Keith Richards. Once Nike leaves and skateboarding isn't cool any more companies like eS, Last Resort, new companies will take their place and sell skate shoes to skaters. We'll just have to remember to not let Nike in again.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #342 on: May 07, 2021, 08:27:05 AM »
Gabriel Fortunato seems moved from main prodigy kid braziliam team to flow.

The cuts are true.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1095
« Reply #343 on: May 07, 2021, 08:43:56 AM »
how to get url for picture
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Is that enough?
[close]

[close]

that's just stupid.
[close]

[close]

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Murray Hewitt

• Rep: 56
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #344 on: May 14, 2021, 08:52:41 PM »
Raven skating in halfcabs on the Crailtap Insta. Definitely seems like a slimming over at Nike.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #345 on: May 14, 2021, 08:54:35 PM »
Raven skating in halfcabs on the Crailtap Insta. Definitely seems like a slimming over at Nike.

I saw that.  He was skating Jordans literally yesterday

Vds

• Rep: -43
« Reply #346 on: May 15, 2021, 07:11:44 AM »
Hopefully soon

doublesteveburger

« Reply #347 on: May 15, 2021, 08:31:50 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I saw that.  He was skating Jordans literally yesterday

What even is skateboarding these days

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #348 on: May 15, 2021, 09:00:57 AM »
Raven has never fitted in any of his sponsors. Has removed Nike SB from his bio.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #349 on: May 15, 2021, 09:29:01 AM »
I’m 100% sure they’re going to pull out or are going to merge it with “nike in general”.

The moment you’re firing people that helped built it you know what’s up.

Tons of flow kids I know are not getting anything anymore either. And a lot of them are not getting shoes from anyone anymore... there’s too many great skaters to support, and the only companies that can support such a gigantic amount are adidas and nike.

But, what will happen according to you guys?

- new balance, adidas ... will follow and will pull out as well? I’m going to be honest: adidas is really really popular over here. But new Balance? I’ve never seen anyone wear that to skate in?
- will new companies pop up? By skaters?
- will cariuma get bigger and bigger?
- I’m watching the cringy USA olympic qualifiers, and it’s all sponsored by nike SB ...

Strange times ...

ninformatic

• Rep: -7
« Reply #350 on: May 15, 2021, 11:37:40 AM »
leave the CTAS Pro and One Star Pro alone bro

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -4
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #351 on: May 15, 2021, 12:01:16 PM »
I’m 100% sure they’re going to pull out or are going to merge it with “nike in general”.

The moment you’re firing people that helped built it you know what’s up.

Tons of flow kids I know are not getting anything anymore either. And a lot of them are not getting shoes from anyone anymore... there’s too many great skaters to support, and the only companies that can support such a gigantic amount are adidas and nike.

But, what will happen according to you guys?

- new balance, adidas ... will follow and will pull out as well? I’m going to be honest: adidas is really really popular over here. But new Balance? I’ve never seen anyone wear that to skate in?
- will new companies pop up? By skaters?
- will cariuma get bigger and bigger?
- I’m watching the cringy USA olympic qualifiers, and it’s all sponsored by nike SB ...

Strange times ...
I think Adidas will still stay relatively the same, may swoop up a couple riders. NB won't change at all. I see a lot of people wearing them but don't think they'll take advantage of it.

Cariuma will try but their shoe designs are fucking hideous and why would anyone want to wear them? I guess if they're desperate.

I'm hoping one or two new skater owned companies will spring up, but they're only gonna cut the lower hanging fruit who might not have the clout to start a brand.

Billy Bitchcakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
« Reply #352 on: May 15, 2021, 12:24:37 PM »
Really doubt they're going to pull out. They're just going to cut back on their roster. Sponsoring every skater under the sun was a deliberate tactic, they didn't do it to be generous to the local flow-level guys. Now that's done its job there's no need to do it any more. They did the exact same thing in football when they got into it and are doing the same thing now cutting contracts left and right.
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -761
« Reply #353 on: May 15, 2021, 12:29:34 PM »
Really doubt they're going to pull out. They're just going to cut back on their roster. Sponsoring every skater under the sun was a deliberate tactic, they didn't do it to be generous to the local flow-level guys. Now that's done its job there's no need to do it any more. They did the exact same thing in football when they got into it and are doing the same thing now cutting contracts left and right.

Ok

And how's that not shitty
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Crailslideyoface

• Rep: 38
« Reply #354 on: May 15, 2021, 12:33:38 PM »
Nigel and Nike are becoming one sentient being and will soon be known only as Send Boots
I wanna crap in a box just to mail it to you so your bitch ass can smell it

Bread Harrity

• Rep: 241
« Reply #355 on: May 15, 2021, 01:02:13 PM »
and despite all this kevin terpening is still just sitting there on the team page

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 280
« Reply #356 on: May 15, 2021, 02:03:38 PM »
and despite all this kevin terpening is still just sitting there on the team page
he’s the glue holding the whole team together, what do you mean?

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #357 on: May 15, 2021, 03:11:57 PM »
Nigel and Nike are becoming one sentient being and will soon be known only as Send Boots

Nikel

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #358 on: May 15, 2021, 03:20:05 PM »
Curious to see if we see an uptake on people who were flow for Nike SB or any big company start wearing Emerica, Lakai, Etnies, eS, State, etc, or will they just get what they can from any of the other big companies.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 03:28:21 PM by HORSES »

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #359 on: May 15, 2021, 06:06:20 PM »
Curious to see if we see an uptake on people who were flow for Nike SB or any big company start wearing Emerica, Lakai, Etnies, eS, State, etc, or will they just get what they can from any of the other big companies.

They basically said, “Well Covid hit us...so...cut the flow program or cut shareholder distributions/bonuses?”

You see the outcome