Author Topic: is nike cutting skate program soon?  (Read 62883 times)

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
Re: is nike cutting skate program soon?
« Reply #90 on: April 28, 2021, 06:59:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Don’t know the financials but I have to imagine that they realized cutting a few dudes and not bro flowing half of the east coast will help their bottom line.

Nike is probably tightening up on all their verticals anyways. Their cash cow basketball program likely underperformed due to COVID closing all of the indoor courts. Only black people and New Yorkers like their running shoes over Asics, so that probably didn’t make up the difference.
[close]

You obviously know absolutely nothing about running. I despise Nike and their running shoes but it would be a gigantic lie to say that they aren’t a top brand. Look at how dominate the Vaporfly next% and dragon fly are.

You have Runner’s sponsored by other companies wearing them in competition. Look no further than Great Britain’s marathon trials a month ago where Chris Thompson won wearing the Alphafly but is a pro for OnCloud. Or hell Nico Young wore the dragon fly during a 5000 meter event last weekend and painted the adidas three stripes on them.
[close]

Brooks and ASICS are top two for running IMO.
[close]

On Cloud is huge as well
[close]

as someone who worked in the running/triathlon space for years; nike is absolutely still #1. look at the recent US marathon trials. off the top of my head, 43 of the top 50 dudes were in nikes, including the winner, galen rupp. brooks is big in the 30+ non hyper competitive world. ON cloud is growing, especially with that federer endormsement.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is it that time of year again?  Should have known since I saw someone say Nike bought Janoski’s last name from him in a different thread
[close]

Do we know if this has ever been debunked???
[close]

Stefan has denied it in a ton of interviews.
[close]
bruh this is like decade old news. he had a lawyer look into what nike was paying him when the janoski first started going nuts coming out in 30 colors a month. to no ones surprise he was owed millions. allegedly he traded them rights to his name for an undisclosed amount and bought him an apartment on 14th street. most likely part of the contract that he has to deny it.

free max b
[close]

This makes absolutely no sense. Why would you trade your name to Nike in perpetuity in order to receive money that a court would justly award you?
[close]

it isn't true. literally over and over and over and over, he's said it isn't true. here's an interview from 6 years ago! http://www.placeskateboarding.de/stefan-janoski-interview/

Expand Quote
I think the rumor is Nike bought my name. But it’s just stupid internet shit… I don’t know where that came from. The rumor is that I sold my name to Nike, but I don’t even know how that works really. I think it was the talk-show kid who started this… I don’t know why.
[close]
[close]
Stefan in interviews:  “noooo silly, Nike didn’t buy my name!  They simply gave me a lump sum payment in exchange for putting the name Stefan Janoski on the tongues of as many shoes as they want without paying me a proportionate royalty.  They totally didn’t buy my name, I don’t know where that’s coming from!”

They bought his name.
[close]

So no matter how many times he says that they did not buy it, and without a single scant of evidence and against all logic, you insist it still must be true
[close]
Look, of course they didn't BuY H1s NaMe.  But they did buy the right to license his name on as many shoes as they want without paying him a commensurate royalty.  And he doesn't deny that, he only denies the absurd notion that they would purchase his entire name/identity.  Which, duh.  It's a nuance, and he exploits that nuance to make the people questioning it sound ridiculous.

You’re just describing a basic licensing agreement.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Idk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #91 on: April 28, 2021, 07:22:55 AM »
Anyone have a list of who is officially off? Are they just gonna resign everyone in June? How is Koston on? When was his last video part?

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 352
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #92 on: April 28, 2021, 07:27:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Don’t know the financials but I have to imagine that they realized cutting a few dudes and not bro flowing half of the east coast will help their bottom line.

Nike is probably tightening up on all their verticals anyways. Their cash cow basketball program likely underperformed due to COVID closing all of the indoor courts. Only black people and New Yorkers like their running shoes over Asics, so that probably didn’t make up the difference.
[close]

You obviously know absolutely nothing about running. I despise Nike and their running shoes but it would be a gigantic lie to say that they aren’t a top brand. Look at how dominate the Vaporfly next% and dragon fly are.

You have Runner’s sponsored by other companies wearing them in competition. Look no further than Great Britain’s marathon trials a month ago where Chris Thompson won wearing the Alphafly but is a pro for OnCloud. Or hell Nico Young wore the dragon fly during a 5000 meter event last weekend and painted the adidas three stripes on them.
[close]

Brooks and ASICS are top two for running IMO.
[close]

On Cloud is huge as well
[close]

as someone who worked in the running/triathlon space for years; nike is absolutely still #1. look at the recent US marathon trials. off the top of my head, 43 of the top 50 dudes were in nikes, including the winner, galen rupp. brooks is big in the 30+ non hyper competitive world. ON cloud is growing, especially with that federer endormsement.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is it that time of year again?  Should have known since I saw someone say Nike bought Janoski’s last name from him in a different thread
[close]

Do we know if this has ever been debunked???
[close]

Stefan has denied it in a ton of interviews.
[close]
bruh this is like decade old news. he had a lawyer look into what nike was paying him when the janoski first started going nuts coming out in 30 colors a month. to no ones surprise he was owed millions. allegedly he traded them rights to his name for an undisclosed amount and bought him an apartment on 14th street. most likely part of the contract that he has to deny it.

free max b
[close]

This makes absolutely no sense. Why would you trade your name to Nike in perpetuity in order to receive money that a court would justly award you?
[close]

it isn't true. literally over and over and over and over, he's said it isn't true. here's an interview from 6 years ago! http://www.placeskateboarding.de/stefan-janoski-interview/

Expand Quote
I think the rumor is Nike bought my name. But it’s just stupid internet shit… I don’t know where that came from. The rumor is that I sold my name to Nike, but I don’t even know how that works really. I think it was the talk-show kid who started this… I don’t know why.
[close]
[close]
Stefan in interviews:  “noooo silly, Nike didn’t buy my name!  They simply gave me a lump sum payment in exchange for putting the name Stefan Janoski on the tongues of as many shoes as they want without paying me a proportionate royalty.  They totally didn’t buy my name, I don’t know where that’s coming from!”

They bought his name.
[close]

So no matter how many times he says that they did not buy it, and without a single scant of evidence and against all logic, you insist it still must be true
[close]
Look, of course they didn't BuY H1s NaMe.  But they did buy the right to license his name on as many shoes as they want without paying him a commensurate royalty.  And he doesn't deny that, he only denies the absurd notion that they would purchase his entire name/identity.  Which, duh.  It's a nuance, and he exploits that nuance to make the people questioning it sound ridiculous.

thats not just nuance, that's a fundamental difference. the rumor isn't "they licensed his name in perpetuity for a smaller than market average rate in a mutually beneficial move" it's that they bought the usage of his last name, period.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

IanBZHD

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 55
« Reply #93 on: April 28, 2021, 07:42:50 AM »
I would say the current Dunk hype is showing Nike that SB does not in fact mean skateboarding and anybody in the world will fall for (simulated) limited released items, I mean look how many people get those limited items for free, there is no limit.
They're probably cutting a lot of people because they had to give out an insane amount of shoes to randoms all the time and more shoes out there makes them easier to get from somewhere other than Nike direct. 

Dunks were already big within the sneaker community, but now they've gotten the whole world on the hype train.
Why do you need SB on your tongue to target a small audience when the whole world already bought in?

Kingtide

• Rep: 0
« Reply #94 on: April 28, 2021, 09:28:08 AM »
A few questions:
- Is Mike Sinclair involved with Nike in any way? I tend to forget?

Sinclair is (was? Not sure of his status) the TM for “up and coming talent” for Nike. All the children tag him on Instagram because he occasionally helps kids get a hook up.

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2021, 09:31:00 AM »
Expand Quote
A few questions:

[close]

Sinclair is (was? Not sure of his status) the TM for “up and coming talent” for Nike. All the children tag him on Instagram because he occasionally helps kids get a hook up.

So what you're saying is, Sinclair is for The Children.
ok thanks

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1560
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2021, 09:35:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A few questions:

[close]

[close]

How many flow kids does nike sacrifice to satiate the hunger of Sinclair?
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #97 on: April 28, 2021, 09:36:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A few questions:

[close]

[close]

[close]

QNike
ok thanks

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #98 on: April 28, 2021, 10:00:20 AM »
Only black people and New Yorkers like their running shoes over Asics, so that probably didn’t make up the difference.

Do you like... live in Japan or something this doesn't make any sense
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2021, 10:09:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A few questions:

[close]

[close]

[close]

How many Red Vines are currently being distributed around the United States

artskool

• Rep: 30
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2021, 10:36:17 AM »
Remember when Nike cut Todd Jordan, and skaters everywhere refused to buy another pair again?

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 264
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2021, 10:46:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A few questions:

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Packs, buckets or individual vines?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 673
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2021, 10:51:29 AM »
Remember when Nike cut Todd Jordan, and skaters everywhere refused to buy another pair again?

last time i bought nike was before SB existed lmfao shit is trash im not down with nike users reminds me of blanka players

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #103 on: April 28, 2021, 10:53:08 AM »

Sounds like something skater outside of New York would really care about

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #104 on: April 28, 2021, 11:03:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A few questions:

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I was thinking of the big buckets

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2021, 11:11:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A few questions:

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I was thinking of the big buckets

I was thinking how hard it is for me to eat a red vine without tying it in a knot first

iknowisuck

• Rep: 2
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2021, 11:19:35 AM »
I would say the current Dunk hype is showing Nike that SB does not in fact mean skateboarding and anybody in the world will fall for (simulated) limited released items, I mean look how many people get those limited items for free, there is no limit.
They're probably cutting a lot of people because they had to give out an insane amount of shoes to randoms all the time and more shoes out there makes them easier to get from somewhere other than Nike direct. 

Dunks were already big within the sneaker community, but now they've gotten the whole world on the hype train.
Why do you need SB on your tongue to target a small audience when the whole world already bought in?

I feel as though Nike usually ends up putting the more "wacky" designs on the sb models and reserves the plain colorways for the non-SB models, so I think there ends up being some sort of prestige related to having the SB on the tongue and the other differences between the two for each shoe model. I could see how they would maybe want this hierarchy to remain because then it helps continue the hype for both branches, where a consumer could miss the more limited SB and get a more available non-SB instead. Anecdotally I feel like this has already been exhibited with the disrupt low because there's no way that shoe sells had there not been a rejuvenation in interest of the dunk from some of the SB releases of the past few years. 
Jokes on clothing < cutting off your foreskin with a chainsaw

snowballz

• Rep: -12
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2021, 11:28:05 AM »
Insane to me that Blake Carpenter is still on but Zion and Midler are off. Seems like a shit business move; those two are huge with the kids. As for Blake, I can't tell you anything about him other than he rides for Toy and Nike.

snowballz

• Rep: -12
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2021, 11:32:42 AM »
Also, can someone make a list of who's been confirmed cut?

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2021, 11:35:53 AM »
Insane to me that Blake Carpenter is still on but Zion and Midler are off. Seems like a shit business move; those two are huge with the kids. As for Blake, I can't tell you anything about him other than he rides for Toy and Nike.
i think you are kind of over simplifying it but you do make a good point, seems like you would want to hold on to those 2 right now. i would imagine he is making a lot less money than those 2 are though as a result but maybe they dont need to go after that part of the market, they already have it covered or doesnt justify renewing those contracts etc. having blake carpentar on maybe is more value for the salary they pay him, maybe they are thinking having these toy guys on nike will dissuade anti corporate haters into giving the brand another chance or something

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #110 on: April 28, 2021, 11:36:58 AM »
i’m starting to get worried about kevin terpening’s career at nike guys

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 303
« Reply #111 on: April 28, 2021, 11:39:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
i think you are kind of over simplifying it but you do make a good point, seems like you would want to hold on to those 2 right now. i would imagine he is making a lot less money than those 2 are though as a result but maybe they dont need to go after that part of the market, they already have it covered or doesnt justify renewing those contracts etc. having blake carpentar on maybe is more value for the salary they pay him, maybe they are thinking having these toy guys on nike will dissuade anti corporate haters into giving the brand another chance or something
Or maybe Blake signed a contract before COVID and is still in it while Midler and Zions contracts ended just as the pandemic started.

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
« Reply #112 on: April 28, 2021, 11:42:18 AM »
maybe illegal civ is gonna try to do shoes

Theme For A Jackal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 103
« Reply #113 on: April 28, 2021, 11:49:28 AM »

I'm surprised they let Zion go too but you're out of your gourd if you don't see how hard Blake rips

duniwayRobber

• Rep: -140
  • ?
« Reply #114 on: April 28, 2021, 12:02:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm surprised they let Zion go too but you're out of your gourd if you don't see how hard Blake rips

I was wondering why Blake was on the full program until this last year, dude is weirdly good.

Another take besides the contract-expiration. I've found that in life, friends get friends jobs. I don't know but it seems to me that Midler is semi-outcast from the 'core' industry, while Blake seems more beloved.

For Zion, I'm guessing that he has something big in the works. Dude's continuing to blow up so I don't see the swoosh wanting to lose him.
fuck poutine we eat pussy out here.

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #115 on: April 28, 2021, 12:25:46 PM »
They currently have a 50 person team according to their website. What do you guys think the annual salary is for that entire squad? $15 million tops?

Obviously guys like Nyjah, P-Rod, and Koston will tip that scale a little higher, but I imagine the John Fitzgeralds and Bobby Worrests of the world balance it out.

Even when factoring in salaries for SB employees, travel, and a robust flow program, I would bet that the annual cost of entire SB program is still less than 1 year of Lebron.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #116 on: April 28, 2021, 12:29:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Only black people and New Yorkers like their running shoes over Asics, so that probably didn’t make up the difference.
[close]

Do you like... live in Japan or something this doesn't make any sense

I was half-joking about the parity in the casual running community. I forget that if I don’t explicitly announce that I’m black and half-joking then people think I’m nuts.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
Re: is nike cutting skate program soon? Hi
« Reply #117 on: April 28, 2021, 12:38:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I was wondering why Blake was on the full program until this last year, dude is weirdly good.

Another take besides the contract-expiration. I've found that in life, friends get friends jobs. I don't know but it seems to me that Midler is semi-outcast from the 'core' industry, while Blake seems more beloved.

For Zion, I'm guessing that he has something big in the works. Dude's continuing to blow up so I don't see the swoosh wanting to lose him.

Blake's oddly underrated. It's probably because people don't realize when he's skating switch.

However, it's a great point to how Mids and Zion are popular. There are a lot of other factors that are probably involved outside of just pure skate talent. Also, maybe the thought was they valued Blake as a Nike vet.

Mids and Zion have plenty of time to grow with another company, though I doubt that was a thought in deciding whether to keep them. I wouldn't say this about Zion but Mids doesn't come off too humble. He's fucking gnarly, but I ain't vibing with his media presence. If I have anything to say of Zion, he's an incredible all terrain skateboarder.

The chillest1

wuust

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #118 on: April 28, 2021, 12:41:10 PM »
starting the “of nike list 2021”
-midler
-zion
-vaughan baker
-kaspar
-wieger?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1100
« Reply #119 on: April 28, 2021, 12:41:25 PM »
They currently have a 50 person team according to their website. What do you guys think the annual salary is for that entire squad? $15 million tops?

Obviously guys like Nyjah, P-Rod, and Koston will tip that scale a little higher, but I imagine the John Fitzgeralds and Bobby Worrests of the world balance it out.

Even when factoring in salaries for SB employees, travel, and a robust flow program, I would bet that the annual cost of entire SB program is still less than 1 year of Lebron.

And move significantly fewer shoes than does Lebron
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021