Author Topic: is nike cutting skate program soon?  (Read 62743 times)

WavyDavy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 129
Re: is nike cutting skate program soon?
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2021, 01:24:41 PM »
Expand Quote
2 team manager (kaspar, maybe Colin Kennedy? and other old guy) is of Nike sb.
Source: instagram story of my crazy French friend Max Geronzi and other dude that i don't remember.
I never liked that dude (Kaspar), much better Colin Kennedy.
[close]

Not to be "that" guy .... but have you ever met Kaspar?
I saw him skate plenty enough when I was young.

Not only did he rip, he was funny as hell as well.
And he did A LOT for European ams no one knew (and the established US pro's of course) ...

I'm not a nike SB fan at all, but hard to hate Kaspar to be honest.

Pretty own to earth guy ... that went to school because he thought he'd never make it in skating anyway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPooYnAq03E

I remember the jenkem interview with mike carroll complaining about him

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2021, 01:31:25 PM »
Most skater analysts have the situation wrong. Nike didn't infiltrate skateboarding. Skaters infiltrated Nike and convinced Nike that skate shoes were going to be the next huge market. They spent a huge amount of money on pro contracts, team building, am flow, product development and marketing that never resulted in sales. All of the SB pro models have been a bust, except for the Janoski, which was a total fluke. But even the Janoski is a drop in the bucket compared to something like the Monarch. Theres no crossover of any of the SB stuff to non skaters except for the limited dunks. But even the dunk drops are too complicated distribution-wise and have too much backdoor shenanigans for it to be worth it for Nike in the long run.

Mr.Jenkins

• Rep: 156
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2021, 01:39:47 PM »
Vaughan Baker just got left go from Nike Sb as Well. Nike seems to cut people all over. 

iwishilivedinfinla

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2021, 01:47:31 PM »
Kelly Bird out too

I_Respect_Wood

• Rep: 8
    • HH avatar image
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2021, 01:56:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Source: instagram story of my crazy French friend Max Geronzi and other dude that i don't remember.
[close]

And he did A LOT for European ams no one knew (and the established US pro's of course) ...

Pretty own to earth guy ... that went to school because he thought he'd never make it in skating anyway

[close]

Yeah, nothing against the guy, he rips, never met him, just saw him twice.
But the only reference I have from him is that interview of Carroll where he says that nike took Karsten from Lakai just after he had his Lakai Welcome, and after a few days Kasper asked them if they could have Karsten on Girl because Element was not cool enough. 

That and him being part of the Tim Zom documentary that lead to loss his sponsors, kinda shady.

BTW that Karsten Lakai welcome is nowhere to be seeing.
If I wasnt me, I never hang out with me...

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/new-york-supreme-ben-kadow-qaL3qBBUWZRPXT5R7T">via GIPHY</a></p>

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2021, 02:01:14 PM »
This rumor has been popping up ever since they first started. Doubt they are killing the whole program, but I could imagine some suit over at Nike looking at the skate program like why are we paying a 100 random stoners who might put out a part on youtube every couple years, and giving free shoes to a thousand more. Could just focus on Nyjah and Leticia plus other olympians, and their sales probably wouldn't be much different.

Nike has done this a lot. They branch out to get their brand into different areas and then back off to focus on their main objective which is to sell shoes and casual sportswear to the masses.

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 92
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2021, 02:15:51 PM »
Kelly Bird out too

Saw Kaspar is gone and couple other key people, where did you see that Kelly left?

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2021, 02:40:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, nothing against the guy, he rips, never met him, just saw him twice.
But the only reference I have from him is that interview of Carroll where he says that nike took Karsten from Lakai just after he had his Lakai Welcome, and after a few days Kasper asked them if they could have Karsten on Girl because Element was not cool enough. 

That and him being part of the Tim Zom documentary that lead to loss his sponsors, kinda shady.

BTW that Karsten Lakai welcome is nowhere to be seeing.
the lakai/girl thing seemed so clueless on kaspars part to me

Lowcalcium

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -100
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2021, 02:52:37 PM »
I heard through the "grapevine" that since the Olympics will not be the cash cow Nike thought it was going to be...

NikeSB will start signing contracts for scooter kids.

SB= Scooter Boy

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2021, 04:40:27 PM »
I wouldn't rule out Nike SB ending at some point but I doubt they would do it now considering how much money special edition Dunks are making them and how much money they're about to make off of the Olympics. I'm sure they're just downsizing to increase their margins.

I can’t understand that dunk concept they are pulling now; making less shoes with ugly colors almost unavailable to anyone at a bigger price range... it’s simply stupid; and obviously they don’t make money either from the reselling price.
They could make a shit ton of shoes instead and make waaaay more money, everyone would buy them, it’s nonsense for me,   :o

RIDEFLANNELV2

• Rep: 50
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2021, 04:44:06 PM »
Don’t know the financials but I have to imagine that they realized cutting a few dudes and not bro flowing half of the east coast will help their bottom line.

Nike is probably tightening up on all their verticals anyways. Their cash cow basketball program likely underperformed due to COVID closing all of the indoor courts. Only black people and New Yorkers like their running shoes over Asics, so that probably didn’t make up the difference.

You obviously know absolutely nothing about running. I despise Nike and their running shoes but it would be a gigantic lie to say that they aren’t a top brand. Look at how dominate the Vaporfly next% and dragon fly are.

You have Runner’s sponsored by other companies wearing them in competition. Look no further than Great Britain’s marathon trials a month ago where Chris Thompson won wearing the Alphafly but is a pro for OnCloud. Or hell Nico Young wore the dragon fly during a 5000 meter event last weekend and painted the adidas three stripes on them.

Here Come The Lame Jets

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2021, 04:45:58 PM »
Kelly Bird out too

For real? Damn. I like Kelly. I used to play ball with him at the old Podium warehouse. That sucks.
ok thanks

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2021, 04:51:42 PM »
I would like to see Max Palmer of Nike and on Last Resort please.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Youoverthere

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2021, 04:53:36 PM »
Expand Quote
oh no all those feet with no ugly ass shoes
[close]

You like eS Accels don't you?
hell yeah I do

it must be crazy when chico sells you something and the tables switch from "give me my money chico" to "giving my money to chico"

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2021, 04:56:15 PM »
I would like to see Max Palmer of Nike and on Last Resort please.
ok thanks

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 110
« Reply #45 on: April 27, 2021, 05:03:08 PM »
i looked at their financial statements and they had a market cap of like 4B in 2019 and 2B in 2020 which makes sense cause of covid; they probably will slowly ramp up back to normal along with economy. They reported 1,400 M in profit FEB this quarter compared to 800 M FEB last year, would be better to compare with 2017 nums i think. None of the directors or higher ups are selling like crazy amounts of shares recently. Maybe they trying to cut some programs internally to use capital to compete with chinese shoe companies like li ning? Not sure tho, all this is entirely speculation.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -200
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #46 on: April 27, 2021, 05:03:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Don’t know the financials but I have to imagine that they realized cutting a few dudes and not bro flowing half of the east coast will help their bottom line.

Nike is probably tightening up on all their verticals anyways. Their cash cow basketball program likely underperformed due to COVID closing all of the indoor courts. Only black people and New Yorkers like their running shoes over Asics, so that probably didn’t make up the difference.
[close]

You obviously know absolutely nothing about running. I despise Nike and their running shoes but it would be a gigantic lie to say that they aren’t a top brand. Look at how dominate the Vaporfly next% and dragon fly are.

You have Runner’s sponsored by other companies wearing them in competition. Look no further than Great Britain’s marathon trials a month ago where Chris Thompson won wearing the Alphafly but is a pro for OnCloud. Or hell Nico Young wore the dragon fly during a 5000 meter event last weekend and painted the adidas three stripes on them.

Brooks and ASICS are top two for running IMO.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

dannyprovolone

« Reply #47 on: April 27, 2021, 05:07:52 PM »
Expand Quote
I wouldn't rule out Nike SB ending at some point but I doubt they would do it now considering how much money special edition Dunks are making them and how much money they're about to make off of the Olympics. I'm sure they're just downsizing to increase their margins.
[close]

I can’t understand that dunk concept they are pulling now; making less shoes with ugly colors almost unavailable to anyone at a bigger price range... it’s simply stupid; and obviously they don’t make money either from the reselling price.
They could make a shit ton of shoes instead and make waaaay more money, everyone would buy them, it’s nonsense for me,   :o

I been wondering this too. perhaps their image got too powerful and profits they receive from large scale mass production come with such a high price that it is not worth it. so maybe they took this approach instead? It is definitely strange to turn one of the most basic shoes ever into some kind of hype fashion item. Rarity is overrated especially if its just some corporate scheme based on instagram clout. I'm just gonna buy fake dunks until other legit options arise.

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 153
  • <3
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2021, 05:09:31 PM »
Wonder how this affects the Cons program. Honestly, kind of fucked but Nike doing Nike babbbbbyyy.

Whats the commentary about Nike gonna be now? Can't say how much Nike helps skateboarding now. Whose gonna carry all the dead weight now? Shoe goo? Haha.

They probably saw what the new Ishod shoe gonna look like and said hell nah. This shoe and Nyjah allegations gonna put us in the red. Time to pull out.

Just playing they probably cutting cause of covid like one homie speculated. Except fuck Nyjah. Fuck Nike anyways. Hate that they own Cons, and hate that Cons backed Al D after his shit got exposed. Cruel world

I do hope KB still got a home. Ishod's safe even with that shoe, so I'm not worried about him. Damn everything got layers
The chillest1

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2021, 05:13:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Hoka maybe a close third. I only run in brooks or asics tho.
ok thanks

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #50 on: April 27, 2021, 05:15:42 PM »
yes i'm sure Nike's big plan was to infiltrate skateboarding for 20 years just to quit a few months before skateboarding's big debut in the Olympics

Maybe the Slappers were wrong and Nike really did care so much about skating that they sacrificed everything to take it to the Olympics
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #51 on: April 27, 2021, 05:20:58 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Fam, of course they make high end shit, it’s very popular in races. Especially after the Vaporfly drama.

What I’m talking about is popularity amongst people who buy running shoes on a semi consistent basis and may do one or two big races a year just to stay in shape(which I would guess is where most of the running revenue comes from). The most common Nike trainers I see on trails are the Pegasus’, but those aren’t touching the amount of 40-50 year old white people wearing random Asics. Even in younger gentrifier crowds you’re going to see a mix of Hooka, Nike, Altra, Asics and Salomon (forgot about Brooks, them too).

From what I’ve seen - Nikes running line is way more popular in NYC, because they’re cool looking shoes in a pedestrian city. 

All that to say, they aren’t covering the void made from the perceived difficult 2020 that Nike basketball had.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 05:38:46 PM by Lenny the Fatface »

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #52 on: April 27, 2021, 05:38:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is it that time of year again?  Should have known since I saw someone say Nike bought Janoski’s last name from him in a different thread
[close]

Do we know if this has ever been debunked???
[close]

Stefan has denied it in a ton of interviews.
[close]
bruh this is like decade old news. he had a lawyer look into what nike was paying him when the janoski first started going nuts coming out in 30 colors a month. to no ones surprise he was owed millions. allegedly he traded them rights to his name for an undisclosed amount and bought him an apartment on 14th street. most likely part of the contract that he has to deny it.

free max b

This makes absolutely no sense. Why would you trade your name to Nike in perpetuity in order to receive money that a court would justly award you?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 05:50:06 PM by manysnakes »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Cuban_Lynx

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1421
  • I got the internet goin' nuts
« Reply #53 on: April 27, 2021, 05:49:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm really wondering if "the grapevine" is slap and he justs repeats the rumors we discuss here
[close]

hahahaha. That could possibly be it. The Chef probably saw it on slap and told him about it.
[close]

Raekwon lurks slap?!
[close]

Yup. They call him the slap assassinator, rhymes rugged and built like Jordan Taylor.
[close]

I just assumed that’s who @Cuban_Lynx was
Since the face been revealed, game got real

Mantracker

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 160
« Reply #54 on: April 27, 2021, 06:49:31 PM »
Alex Midler skating Vans old schools today on Instagram

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #55 on: April 27, 2021, 07:03:06 PM »
Nike sucks.

Freelancevagrant

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1556
« Reply #56 on: April 27, 2021, 07:05:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm really wondering if "the grapevine" is slap and he justs repeats the rumors we discuss here
[close]

hahahaha. That could possibly be it. The Chef probably saw it on slap and told him about it.
[close]

Raekwon lurks slap?!
[close]

Yup. They call him the slap assassinator, rhymes rugged and built like Jordan Taylor.
[close]

I just assumed that’s who @Cuban_Lynx was
[close]
Since the face been revealed, game got real

Dropping hints all along and we just now caught on. Look no further from the certified banger, ice cream. While the chorus is sung by method man, we all know who wrote it.

chocolate-deluxe, even caramel sundaes is gettin' touched and scooped in my ice cream truck. Wu tears it up
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Miller92

• Rep: -282
« Reply #57 on: April 27, 2021, 07:06:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

On Cloud is huge as well

Hairy Ballsagna

• Rep: 32
« Reply #58 on: April 27, 2021, 07:09:27 PM »
It’s interesting that in running that new, small brands seem to be successful. That kind of contradicts the common sense about skate shoes being an impossible market for newcomers.

shannamal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #59 on: April 27, 2021, 07:58:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

On Cloud is huge as well

as someone who worked in the running/triathlon space for years; nike is absolutely still #1. look at the recent US marathon trials. off the top of my head, 43 of the top 50 dudes were in nikes, including the winner, galen rupp. brooks is big in the 30+ non hyper competitive world. ON cloud is growing, especially with that federer endormsement.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is it that time of year again?  Should have known since I saw someone say Nike bought Janoski’s last name from him in a different thread
[close]

Do we know if this has ever been debunked???
[close]

Stefan has denied it in a ton of interviews.
[close]
bruh this is like decade old news. he had a lawyer look into what nike was paying him when the janoski first started going nuts coming out in 30 colors a month. to no ones surprise he was owed millions. allegedly he traded them rights to his name for an undisclosed amount and bought him an apartment on 14th street. most likely part of the contract that he has to deny it.

free max b
[close]

This makes absolutely no sense. Why would you trade your name to Nike in perpetuity in order to receive money that a court would justly award you?

it isn't true. literally over and over and over and over, he's said it isn't true. here's an interview from 6 years ago! http://www.placeskateboarding.de/stefan-janoski-interview/

I think the rumor is Nike bought my name. But it’s just stupid internet shit… I don’t know where that came from. The rumor is that I sold my name to Nike, but I don’t even know how that works really. I think it was the talk-show kid who started this… I don’t know why.

i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me