Author Topic: is nike cutting skate program soon?  (Read 62744 times)

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: is nike cutting skate program soon?
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2021, 08:14:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Don’t know the financials but I have to imagine that they realized cutting a few dudes and not bro flowing half of the east coast will help their bottom line.

Nike is probably tightening up on all their verticals anyways. Their cash cow basketball program likely underperformed due to COVID closing all of the indoor courts. Only black people and New Yorkers like their running shoes over Asics, so that probably didn’t make up the difference.
[close]

You obviously know absolutely nothing about running. I despise Nike and their running shoes but it would be a gigantic lie to say that they aren’t a top brand. Look at how dominate the Vaporfly next% and dragon fly are.

You have Runner’s sponsored by other companies wearing them in competition. Look no further than Great Britain’s marathon trials a month ago where Chris Thompson won wearing the Alphafly but is a pro for OnCloud. Or hell Nico Young wore the dragon fly during a 5000 meter event last weekend and painted the adidas three stripes on them.
[close]

Brooks and ASICS are top two for running IMO.
[close]

On Cloud is huge as well
[close]

as someone who worked in the running/triathlon space for years; nike is absolutely still #1. look at the recent US marathon trials. off the top of my head, 43 of the top 50 dudes were in nikes, including the winner, galen rupp. brooks is big in the 30+ non hyper competitive world. ON cloud is growing, especially with that federer endormsement.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is it that time of year again?  Should have known since I saw someone say Nike bought Janoski’s last name from him in a different thread
[close]

Do we know if this has ever been debunked???
[close]

Stefan has denied it in a ton of interviews.
[close]
bruh this is like decade old news. he had a lawyer look into what nike was paying him when the janoski first started going nuts coming out in 30 colors a month. to no ones surprise he was owed millions. allegedly he traded them rights to his name for an undisclosed amount and bought him an apartment on 14th street. most likely part of the contract that he has to deny it.

free max b
[close]

This makes absolutely no sense. Why would you trade your name to Nike in perpetuity in order to receive money that a court would justly award you?
[close]

it isn't true. literally over and over and over and over, he's said it isn't true. here's an interview from 6 years ago! http://www.placeskateboarding.de/stefan-janoski-interview/

Expand Quote
I think the rumor is Nike bought my name. But it’s just stupid internet shit… I don’t know where that came from. The rumor is that I sold my name to Nike, but I don’t even know how that works really. I think it was the talk-show kid who started this… I don’t know why.
[close]
Stefan in interviews:  “noooo silly, Nike didn’t buy my name!  They simply gave me a lump sum payment in exchange for putting the name Stefan Janoski on the tongues of as many shoes as they want without paying me a proportionate royalty.  They totally didn’t buy my name, I don’t know where that’s coming from!”

They bought his name.

Prinzy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 178
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2021, 08:23:55 PM »
I would like to see Max Palmer of Nike and on Last Resort please.

I agree, but this brings up a real good point. Given the ties a lot of the Polar crew has with Nike, I wouldn’t be surprised if Pontus swoops up tons of free agents from this for Last Resort

I for one, think that’d be sick. Hopefully some of Johnny Wilson’s dudes do too. Nik Stain would look mad sick in a pair of those high top LR’s.

spongebob is lit and if i see any spongebob slander i'm pulling up to your house and beating your ass

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 516
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2021, 08:47:00 PM »
Is it that time of year month again?  Should have known since I saw someone say Nike bought Janoski’s last name from him in a different thread

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2021, 08:57:55 PM »
yall got amnesia i swear

every thread about nike is literally the same

whatever

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2021, 09:16:56 PM »
@Alan can we start a dedicated “Shroedinger’s Nike SB” sub-group for whenever someone wants to start this up again or just banish this to the shoes thread

liquid

• Rep: -11
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2021, 09:22:33 PM »
if true wondering if all these dudes will be able to get on anything after nike? i personally wouldn t put a former nike head on a real skateshoe company... but i guess skateboarding is stupid enough to throw some money at them again

Ayanami

• Rep: 55
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2021, 10:21:20 PM »
I just want to be able to buy a pair of dunks to skate in without spending like $300 on a resale pair. Shit sucks.
i like the tiny headed bear who says nice stuff to everyone.

backside_reacharound

• Rep: -197
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2021, 11:00:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Don’t know the financials but I have to imagine that they realized cutting a few dudes and not bro flowing half of the east coast will help their bottom line.

Nike is probably tightening up on all their verticals anyways. Their cash cow basketball program likely underperformed due to COVID closing all of the indoor courts. Only black people and New Yorkers like their running shoes over Asics, so that probably didn’t make up the difference.
[close]

You obviously know absolutely nothing about running. I despise Nike and their running shoes but it would be a gigantic lie to say that they aren’t a top brand. Look at how dominate the Vaporfly next% and dragon fly are.

You have Runner’s sponsored by other companies wearing them in competition. Look no further than Great Britain’s marathon trials a month ago where Chris Thompson won wearing the Alphafly but is a pro for OnCloud. Or hell Nico Young wore the dragon fly during a 5000 meter event last weekend and painted the adidas three stripes on them.
[close]

[close]

On Cloud is huge as well

The company is called On, CloudTec is just the sole technology that they use

rejectpaul

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -49
  • No sense makes sense.
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2021, 11:29:24 PM »

I would also like that alot
Ty Evans doesn't do what Ty Evans does for Ty Evans. Ty Evans does what Ty Evans does because Ty Evans is... Ty Evans

Todd Falcon > Tony Hawk

JohnnyBoy

• Rep: 7
    • Fat Skater avatar image
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2021, 11:39:05 PM »
if true wondering if all these dudes will be able to get on anything after nike? i personally wouldn t put a former nike head on a real skateshoe company... but i guess skateboarding is stupid enough to throw some money at them again

Spoken like a true heshlord. Of logic / revenue.

AfterBlackEnderEnder

« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2021, 11:51:28 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Spoken like a true heshlord. Of logic / revenue.

The real hesh dudes will be skating barefoot by 2023

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 394
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2021, 12:02:51 AM »
A few questions:
- Is Mike Sinclair involved with Nike in any way? I tend to forget?

- Isn't this really strange timing? Nike wants "athletes" and now that skateboarding is going to the olympics and it will get major exposure, they're dropping the skateprogram? Weird.

- Also this statement which has nothing to with skating: The whole sneakerhead thing gets huuuuuuuuugely affected by what Nike sb puts out. Nike Sb dunks ALWAYS sell out immediately and if you look on stock X they'll some models probably will be up there with the most expensive sneakers ever. If Nike Sb gets cancelled it will be a MAJOR shift in the sneakercollecting world. Nike Sb dunks will only get more valuable ...

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2021, 12:04:32 AM »
As long as they don't cut the CONS Skate program I don't care.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2021, 12:30:52 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I agree, but this brings up a real good point. Given the ties a lot of the Polar crew has with Nike, I wouldn’t be surprised if Pontus swoops up tons of free agents from this for Last Resort

I for one, think that’d be sick. Hopefully some of Johnny Wilson’s dudes do too. Nik Stain would look mad sick in a pair of those high top LR’s.

Please, go on.....
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2021, 12:33:10 AM »
A few questions:

- Isn't this really strange timing? Nike wants "athletes" and now that skateboarding is going to the olympics and it will get major exposure, they're dropping the skateprogram? Weird.

- Also this statement which has nothing to with skating: The whole sneakerhead thing gets huuuuuuuuugely affected by what Nike sb puts out. Nike Sb dunks ALWAYS sell out immediately and if you look on stock X they'll some models probably will be up there with the most expensive sneakers ever. If Nike Sb gets cancelled it will be a MAJOR shift in the sneakercollecting world. Nike Sb dunks will only get more valuable ...

I think that the "rumor" is that there will be no more SB, so it would all be regular Nikes. So it would still be a safe space for sneakerheads, but without a huge team and 7 TM's.
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2021, 02:07:51 AM »
Expand Quote
A few questions:

[close]

I think that the "rumor" is that there will be no more SB, so it would all be regular Nikes. So it would still be a safe space for sneakerheads, but without a huge team and 7 TM's.

It’s been awhile since the “dropping the SB” rumor was going around.  Is it anything really more dramatic than Nike trimming the bloat from the roster?   They do flow or pay a huge ass amount of people.   

I’m not sad that Zion and Midler aren’t on the team anymore and the other guys I’ve heard getting cut are like semi-retired types who probably don’t give that much value back for what they made.   

Instead of being angry this company did that for so long, maybe look at it as it being rad that it lasted for as long as it did.   I mean, as much as I like Justin Brock, is he really doing anything for Nike in return?   

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2021, 02:17:42 AM »
nike is firing people all over. it's not an sb thing, because their sb program is doing great in terms of sales and popularity. it's a covid and supplychain issue where nike aren't meeting their numbers as a corporation and that will take time to recoup. the result is that tons of people are without contracts currently waiting for the board to land on something, others won't have contracts renewed and they are tightening the rope on number of flow/ams/pros and euro dudes.

it's a shitty situation, because now people have to go ask carihurama for free shoes.

Prostate Exam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 484
  • registered SLAP offender
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2021, 02:25:43 AM »
nike is firing people all over. it's not an sb thing, because their sb program is doing great in terms of sales and popularity. it's a covid and supplychain issue where nike aren't meeting their numbers as a corporation and that will take time to recoup. the result is that tons of people are without contracts currently waiting for the board to land on something, others won't have contracts renewed and they are tightening the rope on number of flow/ams/pros and euro dudes.

it's a shitty situation, because now people have to go ask carihurama for free shoes.

Well, Cariuma definitely should be your last resort

WadeDes

• Rep: -1
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2021, 03:09:08 AM »
Max Palmer, Nik Stain, and all those type of cool guys all skate blazers and those last resort shoe kind of look like blazers. However, Pontus mentioned that he wasn't into building a team that much but rather give people he likes some shoes now and then. These guys would be a perfect fit and I would love to see Last Resort taking a piece of that Nike pie. Some balance in the skater owned and big company battle.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 16
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2021, 04:09:16 AM »
Expand Quote
A few questions:

[close]

Yeah, I don't think core skateboarding is significant to Nike's sales. What's important is the masses who might take light influence from different things and cultures. Nike's brand is now recognized by the masses as a part of skate culture and they can keep it up with a few big names.

Similar thing happened with Nike and golf. They made some innovative flashy looking clubs that would generate a lot of conversation. Manufacturing golf clubs was never gonna be significant to their business, but it was a way to inject their brand into the culture. Before, it would've been unfitting to wear Nike on the course or clubhouse, but now it's totally fine.

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2021, 04:30:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A few questions:

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I don't think core skateboarding is significant to Nike's sales. What's important is the masses who might take light influence from different things and cultures. Nike's brand is now recognized by the masses as a part of skate culture and they can keep it up with a few big names.

Similar thing happened with Nike and golf. They made some innovative flashy looking clubs that would generate a lot of conversation. Manufacturing golf clubs was never gonna be significant to their business, but it was a way to inject their brand into the culture. Before, it would've been unfitting to wear Nike on the course or clubhouse, but now it's totally fine.

Weird buisness strategy. Well actually it isn't ...

They make huge teams to get the name out and when it's "established" they trim the fat and only keep the lean muscle.

I always wondered how they can afford (I know it's a huge company, but you get what I mean) to sponsor that many skaters (flow and ams included). I know at least 10 people personally that get free nike sb's.

Let's be honest, skateboarding is probably one of the lesser known "sport" in their roster and I'm sure they send the most shoes to skaters since they ruin them the fasted. It has to be a huge amount of money that got thrown at Nike SB.

Probably some bigshot marketing guy said the SB program costs way too much for what they get in return.

I know Youness since he was 5 years old, but I don't have the balls to ask him what's up with Nike ... I have a feeling he'll be dropped soon as wel :-/

nicotinewheel

• Rep: -75
« Reply #81 on: April 28, 2021, 04:41:20 AM »
Might be useful having a brand-talk subform dedicated exclusively to pal's evolving personal relationships with companies/brands

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 320
« Reply #82 on: April 28, 2021, 05:33:44 AM »
Might be useful having a brand-talk subform dedicated exclusively to pal's evolving personal relationships with companies/brands
What kind of ‘relationship’ does one have with a business model?

Apart from producer-consumer? Isn’t it just a one-way street of the consumer receiving advertising and goods?

Like the relationship an otaku has with an anime character?
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #83 on: April 28, 2021, 05:35:53 AM »
i’m starting to get worried about kevin terpening’s career at nike guys

bigdave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #84 on: April 28, 2021, 06:26:30 AM »

I mean to me the strategy looks like "AWESOME GUYS WE GOT THIS FAR OLYMPICS WOOOOOOOOO, cut all the losers who lose us money the timing is perfect now Nyjah is a legitimate ATHLETE WOOOOOOOO lolz"
ok thanks

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #85 on: April 28, 2021, 06:30:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I mean to me the strategy looks like "AWESOME GUYS WE GOT THIS FAR OLYMPICS WOOOOOOOOO, cut all the losers who lose us money the timing is perfect now Nyjah is a legitimate ATHLETE WOOOOOOOO lolz"

Hahaha :D

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1117
« Reply #86 on: April 28, 2021, 06:43:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

On Cloud is huge as well
[close]

as someone who worked in the running/triathlon space for years; nike is absolutely still #1. look at the recent US marathon trials. off the top of my head, 43 of the top 50 dudes were in nikes, including the winner, galen rupp. brooks is big in the 30+ non hyper competitive world. ON cloud is growing, especially with that federer endormsement.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Is it that time of year again?  Should have known since I saw someone say Nike bought Janoski’s last name from him in a different thread
[close]

[close]

[close]
bruh this is like decade old news. he had a lawyer look into what nike was paying him when the janoski first started going nuts coming out in 30 colors a month. to no ones surprise he was owed millions. allegedly he traded them rights to his name for an undisclosed amount and bought him an apartment on 14th street. most likely part of the contract that he has to deny it.

free max b
[close]

This makes absolutely no sense. Why would you trade your name to Nike in perpetuity in order to receive money that a court would justly award you?
[close]

it isn't true. literally over and over and over and over, he's said it isn't true. here's an interview from 6 years ago! http://www.placeskateboarding.de/stefan-janoski-interview/

Expand Quote
I think the rumor is Nike bought my name. But it’s just stupid internet shit… I don’t know where that came from. The rumor is that I sold my name to Nike, but I don’t even know how that works really. I think it was the talk-show kid who started this… I don’t know why.
[close]
[close]
Stefan in interviews:  “noooo silly, Nike didn’t buy my name!  They simply gave me a lump sum payment in exchange for putting the name Stefan Janoski on the tongues of as many shoes as they want without paying me a proportionate royalty.  They totally didn’t buy my name, I don’t know where that’s coming from!”

They bought his name.

So no matter how many times he says that they did not buy it, and without a single scant of evidence and against all logic, you insist it still must be true
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2021, 06:44:31 AM »

lol sure man, I bet they’re all gonna be blackballed from the industry 🙄

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2021, 06:47:13 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
A few questions:

[close]

[close]

Is it anything really more dramatic than Nike trimming the bloat from the roster?

Almost certainly nothing more than this.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2021, 06:54:41 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

On Cloud is huge as well
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

free max b
[close]

[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

They bought his name.
[close]

So no matter how many times he says that they did not buy it, and without a single scant of evidence and against all logic, you insist it still must be true
Look, of course they didn't BuY H1s NaMe.  But they did buy the right to license his name on as many shoes as they want without paying him a commensurate royalty.  And he doesn't deny that, he only denies the absurd notion that they would purchase his entire name/identity.  Which, duh.  It's a nuance, and he exploits that nuance to make the people questioning it sound ridiculous.