Author Topic: is nike cutting skate program soon?  (Read 62725 times)

snowballz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -12
Re: is nike cutting skate program soon?
« Reply #120 on: April 28, 2021, 12:43:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Insane to me that Blake Carpenter is still on but Zion and Midler are off. Seems like a shit business move; those two are huge with the kids. As for Blake, I can't tell you anything about him other than he rides for Toy and Nike.
[close]

I'm surprised they let Zion go too but you're out of your gourd if you don't see how hard Blake rips

Blake fucking rips for sure; no doubt about that. I'm looking at it from the perspective of Nike. Sadly, being able to rip =/= being marketable/popular. Zion to me seems like the perfect Nike SB skater (popular, family friendly jock type) which is why I was so fucking confused they dropped him.

too fakie

• Rep: 63
« Reply #121 on: April 28, 2021, 12:56:26 PM »
Expand Quote
They currently have a 50 person team according to their website. What do you guys think the annual salary is for that entire squad? $15 million tops?

Obviously guys like Nyjah, P-Rod, and Koston will tip that scale a little higher, but I imagine the John Fitzgeralds and Bobby Worrests of the world balance it out.

Even when factoring in salaries for SB employees, travel, and a robust flow program, I would bet that the annual cost of entire SB program is still less than 1 year of Lebron.
[close]

And move significantly fewer shoes than does Lebron

Wasn’t there an article or something that said Janoski is the 2nd best selling Nike athlete after Jordan?

Even so, I’m not really arguing that skating and basketball should be viewed on the same level. I am just trying to put it in perspective from a cost standpoint. They could refine some things, get the team back down to a more manageable number, and probably still be a profitable division of Nike. I think that is more likely than dumping the entire program.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #122 on: April 28, 2021, 01:45:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
They currently have a 50 person team according to their website. What do you guys think the annual salary is for that entire squad? $15 million tops?

Obviously guys like Nyjah, P-Rod, and Koston will tip that scale a little higher, but I imagine the John Fitzgeralds and Bobby Worrests of the world balance it out.

Even when factoring in salaries for SB employees, travel, and a robust flow program, I would bet that the annual cost of entire SB program is still less than 1 year of Lebron.
[close]

And move significantly fewer shoes than does Lebron
[close]

Wasn’t there an article or something that said Janoski is the 2nd best selling Nike athlete after Jordan?

Even so, I’m not really arguing that skating and basketball should be viewed on the same level. I am just trying to put it in perspective from a cost standpoint. They could refine some things, get the team back down to a more manageable number, and probably still be a profitable division of Nike. I think that is more likely than dumping the entire program.
janoski is a hologram now because nike didn’t want to pay him a royalty and couldn’t risk him being cancelled. he doesn’t count.

Jud Nestorkins

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -59
  • Only YOU can prevent corporate espionage.
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2021, 07:19:38 PM »
Remember when Nike cut Todd Jordan, and skaters everywhere refused to buy another pair again?
Just an FYI, the guy from that meme, the guy laughing, died two days ago (RIP)

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 59
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2021, 07:46:36 PM »
Just reminding all of the lurkers out there that no one in this thread truly knows what they are talking about.

• Rep: 99
  • Fully Flared! coming November 16th 2007
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2021, 09:13:30 PM »
heard they cutting stefan and he gotta change his name to joanski

Freelancevagrant

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1555
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2021, 10:09:39 PM »
heard they cutting stefan and he gotta change his name to joanski

Heard they made a new mold after signing this polish kid named Steven jankowski. Nothing signals success like the polish, weather it be business or skateboarding or even defending against invading armies.
Well I have like 9 Andy Anderson dated flight decks.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 295
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2021, 11:43:52 PM »
Might be useful having a brand-talk subform dedicated exclusively to pal's evolving personal relationships with companies/brands

Only if there's a Capital/Nicotine thread stickied at the top.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2021, 07:44:32 AM »
Dude digging Zion and Midler over Blake knows nothing how skateboarding influences the culture.

Man, I dont now, I dont see any skater who dresses like Nyjah or Zion, both dudes only brings hard work and impressive tricks, nothing more.

In other hand, a lot of skaters and young people dresses like Dylan Rieder, JB Gillet, Gino. Underground skate is more important for the culture than mainstream. Nike knows it and thats why you see many unkowledge dudes getting box.

Janoski before pro model was just an underground skater, now the world knows his model. I can tell you, Blake, Bobby and other are more important to Nike than Nyjah, and Nike knows it.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #129 on: May 01, 2021, 07:47:37 AM »
I can tell you, Blake, Bobby and other are more important to Nike than Nyjah, and Nike knows it.

Truly a statement detached from reality.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

bony bawk

• Rep: 7
« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2021, 09:19:43 AM »
I can tell you, Blake, Bobby and other are more important to Nike than Nyjah, and Nike knows it.
aand thats why blake and bobby have pro models shoes right ?

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #131 on: May 01, 2021, 09:31:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
aand thats why blake and bobby have pro models shoes right ?

Salazar

snowballz

« Reply #132 on: May 01, 2021, 09:41:22 AM »
Dude digging Zion and Midler over Blake knows nothing how skateboarding influences the culture.

Man, I dont now, I dont see any skater who dresses like Nyjah or Zion, both dudes only brings hard work and impressive tricks, nothing more.

In other hand, a lot of skaters and young people dresses like Dylan Rieder, JB Gillet, Gino. Underground skate is more important for the culture than mainstream. Nike knows it and thats why you see many unkowledge dudes getting box.

Janoski before pro model was just an underground skater, now the world knows his model. I can tell you, Blake, Bobby and other are more important to Nike than Nyjah, and Nike knows it.

for every core skater, there are 10 kids who love ppl like zion and midler bc they don't know any better/don't care. it's why revive is outselling most core companies. Keep in mind, i like Blake way more than Zion/Midler. Dude rips, I just don't give a shit about Tum Yeto in general. With skating making it to the olympics, more and more ppl are gonna view skaters as athletes. Zion literally got a shoutout on Ellen. I don't see Blake having that kind of mainstream appeal.

You gotta remember, "core" skating is not exactly a money maker. I don't want skating to go all Nyjah, but it's going that way whether we want to or not.

I'm looking at it purely from Nike's perspective. If they wanted to influence the culture they wouldn't have kicked Max off. They're a corporation at the end of the day. To think they give a shit about skate culture is laughable.

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2021, 10:04:34 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

for every core skater, there are 10 kids who love ppl like zion and midler bc they don't know any better/don't care. it's why revive is outselling most core companies. Keep in mind, i like Blake way more than Zion/Midler. Dude rips, I just don't give a shit about Tum Yeto in general. With skating making it to the olympics, more and more ppl are gonna view skaters as athletes. Zion literally got a shoutout on Ellen. I don't see Blake having that kind of mainstream appeal.

You gotta remember, "core" skating is not exactly a money maker. I don't want skating to go all Nyjah, but it's going that way whether we want to or not.

I'm looking at it purely from Nike's perspective. If they wanted to influence the culture they wouldn't have kicked Max off. They're a corporation at the end of the day. To think they give a shit about skate culture is laughable.

Nike doesn't give a shit about skate culture obviously, but to say they have never been clever about who they sponsor is silly. "Core" skating/low key skaters  might not be the money maker as you put it, but it's how they became largely accepted.
Why the fuck else would they put Stefan, BA, Omar Salazar and Gino back then?

If they had come in swinging in their earlier days with a full SLS Skateboard Superstar team they would NOT have penetrated the skateboard market the way they have managed to so effectively.
Sure they had P-Rod back then but goddamn didn't he fit the fucking poster boy image for Nike at the time. But it wasn't a team of Prods and Jahs, they have those guys for the mainstream Olympics appeal now.
They knew what they were doing and they obviously still value those more "underground" skaters / with less mainstream appeal.

snowballz

« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2021, 10:26:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Nike doesn't give a shit about skate culture obviously, but to say they have never been clever about who they sponsor is silly. "Core" skating/low key skaters  might not be the money maker as you put it, but it's how they became largely accepted.

If they had come in swinging in their earlier days with a full SLS Skateboard Superstar team they would NOT have penetrated the skateboard market the way they have managed to so effectively.
Sure they had P-Rod back then but goddamn didn't he fit the fucking poster boy image for Nike at the time. But it wasn't a team of Prods and Jahs, they have those guys for the mainstream Olympics appeal now.
They knew what they were doing and they obviously still value those more "underground" skaters / with less mainstream appeal.

You said it yourself. It was back then. Nike is so established in skateboarding that they really don't need that core market anymore to be quite honest.

I'm not defending Nike, I'm just looking at it from a suit's perspective.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2021, 10:33:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

You said it yourself. It was back then. Nike is so established in skateboarding that they really don't need that core market anymore to be quite honest.

Exactly. They won. They are part of the culture now and can do whatever they want. They don’t have to sponsor anyone.

banksandledges

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 205
« Reply #136 on: May 01, 2021, 10:35:00 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Pretty much this. A lot has changed since SB inception. The founder Sandy Bodecker passed away, there’s been multiple leadership and direction changes since and the nail in the coffin is their new CEO (look him up and where he comes from). So yes when SB started it was hard to argue they weren’t investing in the skate culture as a whole. Today it’s a whole different ball game and the shops, employees and riders that built the brand no longer matter at this point.

Dwyck

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 150
  • Harley-Davidson Ironwing
« Reply #137 on: May 01, 2021, 10:54:37 AM »
i just think if zion starts winning shit he'd cost them more than blake.
Regular stance is a mental disorder defined by the DSM-5

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #138 on: May 01, 2021, 11:04:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Pretty much this. A lot has changed since SB inception. The founder Sandy Bodecker passed away, there’s been multiple leadership and direction changes since and the nail in the coffin is their new CEO (look him up and where he comes from). So yes when SB started it was hard to argue they weren’t investing in the skate culture as a whole. Today it’s a whole different ball game and the shops, employees and riders that built the brand no longer matter at this point.

Snowballz I got you, but I'm certainly not suggesting anything I've outlined be thought of as Nike investing in our culture.
Today is totally different, the market is different and a big reason is Nike, their their strategy and how successful it has been. This isn't a judgement in the slightest (or a slight for that matter) but the same people that campaigned against Nike wear them these days.
Literally every 'type' of skater wears Nike shoes.

Honestly, the reason I find this topic so discussion worthy is because of how calculated and successful who Nike picked to represent their brand was.
Fucking obscure ass Dan Murphy for fuck sake.
Chet Childress.
Not to mention the UK team.

snowballz

« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2021, 11:07:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Snowballz I got you, but I'm certainly not suggesting anything I've outlined be thought of as Nike investing in our culture.
Today is totally different, the market is different and a big reason is Nike, their their strategy and how successful it has been. This isn't a judgement in the slightest (or a slight for that matter) but the same people that campaigned against Nike wear them these days.
Literally every 'type' of skater wears Nike shoes.

Honestly, the reason I find this topic so discussion worthy is because of how calculated and successful who Nike picked to represent their brand was.
Fucking obscure ass Dan Murphy for fuck sake.
Chet Childress.
Not to mention the UK team.

It was very evil genius what they did. Nike knew that core East Coast skaters would be their hardest sell, so who did they put on? 3 underground East Coasters (Supa, Reese, Gino) and one Californian for all the LA heads (Mulder)

« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 11:17:49 AM by snowballz »

snowballz

« Reply #140 on: May 01, 2021, 11:08:09 AM »

Nike doesn't give a shit about cost. They give a shit about ROI.

Let's get hypothetical for a second here, and pretend Zion is still on:

Say Nike pays Blake $20K and he brings the company $25K, 125% ROI.
If Nike pays Zion $40K and he brings in $60K, 150% ROI.

While Zion may be more expensive, Nike would rather keep him, as he's a better return on their investment vs. Blake.

Keep in mind, I'm stoked Blake is on Nike. I hope he stays there. My sentiment was more "I'm surprised the suits haven't kicked him off due to their own ignorance/ only giving a shit about the bottom line."

coconut water

• Rep: -2
« Reply #141 on: May 01, 2021, 11:26:22 AM »

this is totally wrong. guys who think this way are the ones out of touch now

most kids, not just skaters, dress almost exactly like Zion and Alex Midler now. a random mash up of mall clothes, sports wear and big sneaker brands

and not just in America... like everywhere in the world. and especially in the part of America and the world where there are a lot of kids. I.e. like Florida. Zion dresses like every kid in Florida.

"underground" skateboarding is totally NOT important anymore. nobody give a fuck about Ginos push except 40+ old white men. all those folk hero guys should be thankful they were able to milk that shit for so long

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #142 on: May 01, 2021, 01:31:48 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

this is totally wrong. guys who think this way are the ones out of touch now

most kids, not just skaters, dress almost exactly like Zion and Alex Midler now. a random mash up of mall clothes, sports wear and big sneaker brands

and not just in America... like everywhere in the world. and especially in the part of America and the world where there are a lot of kids. I.e. like Florida. Zion dresses like every kid in Florida.

"underground" skateboarding is totally NOT important anymore. nobody give a fuck about Ginos push except 40+ old white men. all those folk hero guys should be thankful they were able to milk that shit for so long

Right, because no 28-39 year old skateboarders who buy Nikes dress like Gino, Blake C, Stefan, Alex Olsen or find those type of dudes more appealing than the MidlerJah skaters.
Also I'm pretty sure you're the one that brought Gino's push up and that you're missing the point here.

Both the Midler clones and cord wearing cool guys buy Nikes and accept Nike because of Nikes deliberate choice of representation in people such as and like Gino +others I and others have mentioned.

The less mainstream / energy drink / SLS, more "underground" skater (of whom here we are talking about seems to be the ridiculously talented Blake) is absolutely important to Nike and their image.
Perhaps more so in their earlier days, yes, but the point remains.

It's almost laughable how obvious or deliberate some of their choices have been direct attempts at bolstering their legitimacy and acceptance. Only its not laughable at all because it worked/ works.

EDIT:
Full disclosure, I buy Nikes to walk, skate and chill in. Sb or not.

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2196
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #143 on: May 01, 2021, 01:57:26 PM »
Guys, we got the craziest letter from Nike today. They're setting rival shops up against each other. Whichever shop can commit to placing the biggest orders for the next 2 years, Nike will send the other shop a bunch of stuff they don't wan't and then close their account, putting them out of business.

We lost the bidding war and I got fired and my wife divorced me and I'm homeless and addicted to crack so I'm only gonna wear Lakais from now on.

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 719
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
« Reply #144 on: May 01, 2021, 02:11:44 PM »
Watson over here like
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Lame_Nigga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2
  • Just a lame nigga who can't kickflip
« Reply #145 on: May 01, 2021, 02:35:17 PM »
Just checked their team page, and there's 50 people listed on their team. If they hypothetically were to cut to just 10, that's enough for 4-8 teams. How many shoe companies would sprout from the influx of sponsorless riders?

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #146 on: May 01, 2021, 03:43:26 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Nike doesn't give a shit about cost. They give a shit about ROI.

Let's get hypothetical for a second here, and pretend Zion is still on:

Say Nike pays Blake $20K and he brings the company $25K, 125% ROI.
If Nike pays Zion $40K and he brings in $60K, 150% ROI.

While Zion may be more expensive, Nike would rather keep him, as he's a better return on their investment vs. Blake.

Keep in mind, I'm stoked Blake is on Nike. I hope he stays there. My sentiment was more "I'm surprised the suits haven't kicked him off due to their own ignorance/ only giving a shit about the bottom line."
the thing is, both of them probably have a negative ROI. kids wear their shoes now because they like the color options and customization potential. zion and blake both don’t have pro models or colorways, so the idea that someone bought shoes because of zion is really difficult to trace. to them, he’s probably just factored into the cost of advertising, not into their greater sales nexus

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 380
« Reply #147 on: May 01, 2021, 05:46:57 PM »
We know Nike isn’t cutting their SB program because of all of the astroturfed accounts coming on here and trying to tell us that fucking Blake Carpenter is a cool, underground, memorable skater. It must have cost them millions to get anyone to type that out.

gub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 221

fredgallSOTY

« Reply #149 on: May 01, 2021, 07:37:42 PM »
guys i heard nike is gonna do what anti-hero did and split into 6 different teams