Author Topic: is nike cutting skate program soon?  (Read 62735 times)

Billy Bitchcakes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 462
  • Q U I T E S T Y L I S H
Re: is nike cutting skate program soon?
« Reply #150 on: May 02, 2021, 05:56:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dude digging Zion and Midler over Blake knows nothing how skateboarding influences the culture.

Man, I dont now, I dont see any skater who dresses like Nyjah or Zion, both dudes only brings hard work and impressive tricks, nothing more.

In other hand, a lot of skaters and young people dresses like Dylan Rieder, JB Gillet, Gino. Underground skate is more important for the culture than mainstream. Nike knows it and thats why you see many unkowledge dudes getting box.

Janoski before pro model was just an underground skater, now the world knows his model. I can tell you, Blake, Bobby and other are more important to Nike than Nyjah, and Nike knows it.
[close]

for every core skater, there are 10 kids who love ppl like zion and midler bc they don't know any better/don't care. it's why revive is outselling most core companies. Keep in mind, i like Blake way more than Zion/Midler. Dude rips, I just don't give a shit about Tum Yeto in general. With skating making it to the olympics, more and more ppl are gonna view skaters as athletes. Zion literally got a shoutout on Ellen. I don't see Blake having that kind of mainstream appeal.

You gotta remember, "core" skating is not exactly a money maker. I don't want skating to go all Nyjah, but it's going that way whether we want to or not.

I'm looking at it purely from Nike's perspective. If they wanted to influence the culture they wouldn't have kicked Max off. They're a corporation at the end of the day. To think they give a shit about skate culture is laughable.
[close]

Nike doesn't give a shit about skate culture obviously, but to say they have never been clever about who they sponsor is silly. "Core" skating/low key skaters  might not be the money maker as you put it, but it's how they became largely accepted.
Why the fuck else would they put Stefan, BA, Omar Salazar and Gino back then?

If they had come in swinging in their earlier days with a full SLS Skateboard Superstar team they would NOT have penetrated the skateboard market the way they have managed to so effectively.
Sure they had P-Rod back then but goddamn didn't he fit the fucking poster boy image for Nike at the time. But it wasn't a team of Prods and Jahs, they have those guys for the mainstream Olympics appeal now.
They knew what they were doing and they obviously still value those more "underground" skaters / with less mainstream appeal.
[close]

You said it yourself. It was back then. Nike is so established in skateboarding that they really don't need that core market anymore to be quite honest.

I'm not defending Nike, I'm just looking at it from a suit's perspective.
[close]

Pretty much this. A lot has changed since SB inception. The founder Sandy Bodecker passed away, there’s been multiple leadership and direction changes since and the nail in the coffin is their new CEO (look him up and where he comes from). So yes when SB started it was hard to argue they weren’t investing in the skate culture as a whole. Today it’s a whole different ball game and the shops, employees and riders that built the brand no longer matter at this point.

Wait is that what the SB stood for this whole time?
During sex to prevent myself from ejaculating I think about Osama Bin Laden running my dick through a sewing machine.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #151 on: May 02, 2021, 06:01:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Dude digging Zion and Midler over Blake knows nothing how skateboarding influences the culture.

Man, I dont now, I dont see any skater who dresses like Nyjah or Zion, both dudes only brings hard work and impressive tricks, nothing more.

In other hand, a lot of skaters and young people dresses like Dylan Rieder, JB Gillet, Gino. Underground skate is more important for the culture than mainstream. Nike knows it and thats why you see many unkowledge dudes getting box.

Janoski before pro model was just an underground skater, now the world knows his model. I can tell you, Blake, Bobby and other are more important to Nike than Nyjah, and Nike knows it.
[close]

for every core skater, there are 10 kids who love ppl like zion and midler bc they don't know any better/don't care. it's why revive is outselling most core companies. Keep in mind, i like Blake way more than Zion/Midler. Dude rips, I just don't give a shit about Tum Yeto in general. With skating making it to the olympics, more and more ppl are gonna view skaters as athletes. Zion literally got a shoutout on Ellen. I don't see Blake having that kind of mainstream appeal.

You gotta remember, "core" skating is not exactly a money maker. I don't want skating to go all Nyjah, but it's going that way whether we want to or not.

I'm looking at it purely from Nike's perspective. If they wanted to influence the culture they wouldn't have kicked Max off. They're a corporation at the end of the day. To think they give a shit about skate culture is laughable.
[close]

Nike doesn't give a shit about skate culture obviously, but to say they have never been clever about who they sponsor is silly. "Core" skating/low key skaters  might not be the money maker as you put it, but it's how they became largely accepted.
Why the fuck else would they put Stefan, BA, Omar Salazar and Gino back then?

If they had come in swinging in their earlier days with a full SLS Skateboard Superstar team they would NOT have penetrated the skateboard market the way they have managed to so effectively.
Sure they had P-Rod back then but goddamn didn't he fit the fucking poster boy image for Nike at the time. But it wasn't a team of Prods and Jahs, they have those guys for the mainstream Olympics appeal now.
They knew what they were doing and they obviously still value those more "underground" skaters / with less mainstream appeal.

The only mainstream guy of first nike team was Prod, the rest were core skaters that most of them I never heard before. Why Nikes needs Midler and Zion if they already has Nyjah?
My point is, Nyjah is that marketable as yall are saying? Got kicked of Element, but if his model was doing well, they could renew his contract or pay  him more.
Midler has a lot o fans ? Never went fully on nike and nover rode for  nice boardbrand. You can be a Nyjah fan in your first year of skating, but it changes.
Core skaters rules fashion in the world, here in Brazil nobody want be Nyjah, but every young want be Tiago. Like the influence of TJ has in NY.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 331
« Reply #152 on: May 02, 2021, 07:56:28 AM »
This is all nonsense

Nyjah is the most marketable skateboarder alive right now hands down. The core community isn’t as high on him, but crossover appeal matters way more in marketing.  There’s tons of examples of this in many different fields. Both of Nyjah’s shoes double as workout shoes for a reason.

Vds

• Rep: -43
« Reply #153 on: May 02, 2021, 08:20:41 AM »
This is all nonsense

Nyjah is the most marketable skateboarder alive right now hands down. The core community isn’t as high on him, but crossover appeal matters way more in marketing.  There’s tons of examples of this in many different fields. Both of Nyjah’s shoes double as workout shoes for a reason.

I don't think so. I haven't seen any product with his name on the streets  for years.

Southernmost

• Rep: 106
« Reply #154 on: May 02, 2021, 11:56:07 AM »
Everyone saying these people are of but don’t know if they were kicked of, contracts not renewed, never had a contract maybe only getting boxes. A guy like Zion probably has an agent or lawyer negotiating contracts and can field offers from other big companies. Blake I feel like is more a bro flow or friends with a rep/TM so he can get a sweetheart deal or would be comfortable getting less money or being in the spotlight. Nyjah is probably one of the most popular skateboarders on earth, not here on Slap for obvious reasons. Frat bros and gym guys can relate to him and I see his shoes in the wild fairly often. Janoski maybe didn’t sell his name but not sure if he gets royalties on ever pair sold. Maybe he gets a yearly salary or residual. Lebron signed a lifetime deal with Nike, wouldn’t be surprised if Janoski or P Rod had a similar long time deal with bonuses, goals, pensions etc. I have a bad feeling we’re gonna be seeing Cariumas more often they pop up on my Instagram feed all the time. Wouldn’t mind seeing some core guys leaving Nike start to rep AB Last Resort or State.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #155 on: May 02, 2021, 12:37:44 PM »
Expand Quote
This is all nonsense

[close]

I don't think so. I haven't seen any product with his name on the streets  for years.
something was definitely up with nyjah, shops were being asked to send back all of his shoes by nike for a little bit.

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 59
« Reply #156 on: May 02, 2021, 02:10:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is all nonsense

[close]

[close]
something was definitely up with nyjah, shops were being asked to send back all of his shoes by nike for a little bit.

Defects?
Copyright infringement?
Rape allegations?
Lizard people?

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1118
« Reply #157 on: May 02, 2021, 02:58:26 PM »
Expand Quote
This is all nonsense

[close]

This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Gbeerme

• Rep: -3
« Reply #158 on: May 03, 2021, 10:38:19 AM »
Well Carl Aikens is now rocking the 3 stripes in his new IG vid. Black Shell Toes with the White toe cap(the joey bast). 

Some flow boxes have definitely slowed down? Is this a Bird/Meza exit result?   

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #159 on: May 03, 2021, 01:34:10 PM »
Well Carl Aikens is now rocking the 3 stripes in his new IG vid. Black Shell Toes with the White toe cap(the joey bast). 

Some flow boxes have definitely slowed down? Is this a Bird/Meza exit result?

Hosea Peeters just posted a video on vans now. Kinda bummed to see some of these guys not getting boxes anymore

Gbeerme

• Rep: -3
« Reply #160 on: May 03, 2021, 01:39:54 PM »
could be why Cory Kennedy has not been seen in Nikes since his release as well.

Opportune time for DC, Lakai, Es, Etnies and Fallen to make a push or emergence of something new.

Vans and Adidas seems filled out. Emerica stagnant mold of brand riders. 

Feeling that iPath or Sheep reboot right about now.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #161 on: May 03, 2021, 01:44:53 PM »
There's a new Nike SB video coming out soon. Should answer a few questions.

Red Eyed Swimmer

• Rep: 2
« Reply #162 on: May 03, 2021, 01:49:37 PM »
could be why Cory Kennedy has not been seen in Nikes since his release as well.

Opportune time for DC, Lakai, Es, Etnies and Fallen to make a push or emergence of something new.

Vans and Adidas seems filled out. Emerica stagnant mold of brand riders. 

Feeling that iPath or Sheep or Duffs reboot right about now.

ish_wav

• Rep: 93
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #163 on: May 03, 2021, 02:15:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is all nonsense

[close]

[close]

I am not sure about this. We’ve only seen rumors at this point, and we’re still seeing new color ways dropping.

sus

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 371
« Reply #164 on: May 03, 2021, 02:39:35 PM »
doesn't help that a ton of the flow program is getting cut as well

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #166 on: May 03, 2021, 05:07:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is all nonsense

[close]

[close]
[close]

I am not sure about this. We’ve only seen rumors at this point, and we’re still seeing new color ways dropping.
that request came to me straight from nike, but then once we got them boxed up, they said it was cool and we didnt need to send em back.

Donkey Lips

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1020
« Reply #167 on: May 03, 2021, 06:42:50 PM »
Opportune time for… Fallen to make a push or emergence of something new.

KUberry

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -130
« Reply #168 on: May 03, 2021, 08:29:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is all nonsense

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
that request came to me straight from nike, but then once we got them boxed up, they said it was cool and we didnt need to send em back.

Just so you know, Nyjah resigned with Nike recently, and he got MORE. That is a fact and the details will be public very soon. He also signed with NIKE proper just like his first deal. He is not under the SB imprint although he represents it.

Ghost Face

• Rep: 95
« Reply #169 on: May 03, 2021, 11:41:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
This is all nonsense

[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Just so you know, Nyjah resigned with Nike recently, and he got MORE. That is a fact and the details will be public very soon. He also signed with NIKE proper just like his first deal. He is not under the SB imprint although he represents it.

Well, they haven't posted a single Nyjah clip on their NikeSB IG account in 42weeks.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

Giza Butler

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 87
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #170 on: May 04, 2021, 04:05:12 AM »
Just wondering, since someone has made the comparison.

How much is the Nike Basketball budget compared to SB's?

For example, are lesser known basketball teams and leagues getting free gear like a flow/bro will be getting?

How many people are actually getting paid by Nike? How many outside of the US?
The '80s were the worst period. You had these horrible pop bands growing their hair and calling themselves metal.

thunderclap

• Rep: 1
« Reply #171 on: May 04, 2021, 04:31:21 AM »

For example, are lesser known basketball teams and leagues getting free gear like a flow/bro will be getting?

Paul George gets $5.5 million per year.
Giannis $10 million
Kyrie $11 million
Durant $26 million
Lebron $32 million (and has a lifetime contract)
All those guys have signature shoes. 284 NBA players in total have a Nike deal, ranging from paid contracts to just free shoes.

Nike sponsors a ton of college and high school basketball teams across the US, as well as the NBA, the WNBA, NBA G-League and USA Basketball (US national team). Just in Oregon alone, they sponsor 75 schools with gear and shoes.

And then they also own Jordan brand...

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #172 on: May 04, 2021, 04:36:16 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Paul George gets $5.5 million per year.
Giannis $10 million
Kyrie $11 million
Durant $26 million
Lebron $32 million (and has a lifetime contract)
All those guys have signature shoes. 284 NBA players in total have a Nike deal, ranging from paid contracts to just free shoes.

Nike sponsors a ton of college and high school basketball teams across the US, as well as the NBA, the WNBA, NBA G-League and USA Basketball (US national team). Just in Oregon alone, they sponsor 75 schools with gear and shoes.

And then they also own Jordan brand...

And Converse.  Don’t remember if their basketball attempt from a few years ago stuck or not

fs180

• Rep: -267
« Reply #173 on: May 04, 2021, 05:33:29 AM »
nyjahs shoe is everywhere. haven't seen a single nike skate shoe that often. not even corny dunks.
I totally would get if nike cut all their flow riders. to many that cost and don't make the amount of profit that they are supposed to.
im not even mad at nike. a somehow local hero who happens to be a little better than the rest gets tons of shoes for free most of them limited so he can sell them to make 4 times the amount of money that they were being sold?
that doesn't make me want to have that shoe at all.

as a good non sponsored skateboarder that doesn't make sense. surely I want to see crazy new tricks happening so people need to have skateboarding as their job. but common. buy your own shoes bruh. im skating the same ones since last year and you throw them away after 5 sessions and you get mad at nike for not keeping all of those little curb skating clones around the globe.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 05:44:10 AM by fs180 »

fs180

« Reply #174 on: May 04, 2021, 05:42:09 AM »
skateboarders always want exceptions for their culture. "no we don't want the big companys." "we don't want shitty shoes." "we want to make a living from riding a toy." "we don't want to market ourselves." "why aren't skateboarders being payed like basketball teams?" "why can't I smoke weed all day and become rich?""why is nike leaving us after they sent us plenty of expensive shoes??".

why don't you just venmo Andrew Reynolds 300 dollars so he can buy a new pack of white non branded shirts and after that go buy a crailtap product before tighting your Indi trucks they seem a little to loose for me

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 660
« Reply #175 on: May 04, 2021, 05:53:43 AM »
nike sb program saved by local german park

fs180

« Reply #176 on: May 04, 2021, 06:04:34 AM »
nike sb saved the local skate park in Berlin actually thanks for that. sponsored the whole thing. now they left and its vans who's the new sponsor. still a big support when building and popularizing it.
you think lakai ever gave anything back when they had the sales? no because they are some complete beer drinking fucking skateboarding losers that are to stupid to handle business. not even for the culture. they did nothing.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 06:20:44 AM by fs180 »

fs180

« Reply #177 on: May 04, 2021, 06:24:01 AM »
oh lakai made a Germany tour called "BRATWURST" like that's the amount of love they give back. 3 team riders skating a park 6 sitting around not doing shit. the hard life of a skateboarder.

fuck core companys. fuck skateboarders. I like human beings. I hate most skaters for the amount of stupidity in their fucking stupid ass brain. fuck core skateboarding and all their greedy loser bosses making shitty shoes for 34 old "I understand capitalism" fuck heads. fuck you and your pretentious smart acting.

the amount of scamming crailtap has done is insane. in my opinion some the pros deserve to land on the streets or in jail. you are telling me you build up expectations for tricks for the pro you got on your team for damn near 20 year and all they film is a 30s-1min clip of a fs noslide and a 5-0 stall kick flip out? that's insane to have that as your job.
people build houses, streets, homes for people to live in. they wipe the shitty asses of grandpas every single day and only get a tiny amount of the money a pro gets over the years.
and y'all complain if not those guys have to buy themselves shoes in the near future for not wanting to have even the tiniest amount of marketing going on.

completly insane
« Last Edit: May 04, 2021, 06:32:23 AM by fs180 »

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #178 on: May 04, 2021, 06:39:09 AM »
oh lakai made a Germany tour called "BRATWURST" like that's the amount of love they give back. 3 team riders skating a park 6 sitting around not doing shit. the hard life of a skateboarder.

fuck core companys. fuck skateboarders. I like human beings. I hate most skaters for the amount of stupidity in their fucking stupid ass brain. fuck core skateboarding and all their greedy loser bosses making shitty shoes for 34 old "I understand capitalism" fuck heads. fuck you and your pretentious smart acting.

the amount of scamming crailtap has done is insane. in my opinion some the pros deserve to land on the streets or in jail. you are telling me you build up expectations for tricks for the pro you got on your team for damn near 20 year and all they film is a 30s-1min clip of a fs noslide and a 5-0 stall kick flip out? that's insane to have that as your job.
people build houses, streets, homes for people to live in. they wipe the shitty asses of grandpas every single day and only get a tiny amount of the money a pro gets over the years.
and y'all complain if not those guys have to buy themselves shoes in the near future for not wanting to have even the tiniest amount of marketing going on.

completly insane

u mad bro
ok thanks

jerrygurneyscream

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #179 on: May 04, 2021, 06:40:31 AM »
I would like to see Max Palmer of Nike and on Last Resort please.