Author Topic: is nike cutting skate program soon?  (Read 63128 times)

DCLOVE

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -485
Re: is nike cutting skate program soon?
« Reply #420 on: May 28, 2021, 11:38:17 AM »
That dumb colorway is literally a mashup of materials/colors used on all the promodel nikes he’s had which is like 11 if you count the j-rod.

Y’all really too dumb to see that? Shits literally named “what the paul”... as in it’s basically a “what the” dunk 2.0

Nike started renewing contracts this past week. Expect Kader to be back in nikes in a month

Free max b

I would actually love it if he immediately quit adidas for nike. You know he would too. He didn’t want to go to adidas by the looks of all his clips in nikes and the 2 clips in adidas. He just wanted to get paid cause he’s and idiot who spent 70k on weed last year.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #421 on: May 28, 2021, 11:41:15 AM »
Never saw ge11 on team page now he is full on Hugo too.

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #422 on: May 28, 2021, 02:48:59 PM »
Max Palmer?

Max has never been on there. Neither have Caleb Barnett, Andrew Wilson or Nik Stain though.

Looks like Terps, Justin Brock & Fernando Bramsark are all off, joining Weiger & Willis Kimbel on the scrap heap.

JA4

• Rep: 1
« Reply #423 on: May 28, 2021, 06:28:04 PM »
Nike seem to be doing this in other markets too:

matty_c

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #424 on: May 28, 2021, 07:09:19 PM »
Milder seems chill if he seems like a full on hungrycunt it’s probably cause he’s probably thinking what the fuck have I got to do here

He’s lowkey always done proper gnarly shit reckon they fucked up dropping him and zion
But I hope both get paid those cunts get buck particularly midler in the streets
listen to cosmic psychos

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #425 on: May 28, 2021, 07:14:36 PM »

You know we could end the thread with this, but the speculation will continue indefinitely.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

toque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
    • Portmanteau avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #426 on: May 30, 2021, 12:07:54 AM »

This is pretty interesting. Hard to see a strategy like this doing super well in skateboarding though. Stop giving boxes to all the hometown heroes and "cool" underground skaters and there's gonna be a backlash. The general public may think of Nyjah as the best skateboarder but they're probably wearing Jordans or running shoes, not buying his pro model. Kids that skate all day (and run through shoes) are gonna be bummed to see their favorites getting cut and start questioning their swoosh purchases. Maybe they'll just focus on converse as the home of the 'core' skaters or whatever 

wheee!

Esquivel

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #427 on: May 30, 2021, 12:34:08 AM »
^ So in between the cariumas, which other brands do you go for?

Expand Quote
And people say weed makes you creative
[close]
Good weed does - these broke ass skateboard designers smokin spice

Swithflip

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -748
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #428 on: May 30, 2021, 04:59:22 AM »
The cuts are fucking real, seems like the whole braziliam program  is of, and Fernando Granja (team manger and filmer) is of.

Hevonen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 18
« Reply #429 on: May 30, 2021, 07:08:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

This is pretty interesting. Hard to see a strategy like this doing super well in skateboarding though. Stop giving boxes to all the hometown heroes and "cool" underground skaters and there's gonna be a backlash. The general public may think of Nyjah as the best skateboarder but they're probably wearing Jordans or running shoes, not buying his pro model. Kids that skate all day (and run through shoes) are gonna be bummed to see their favorites getting cut and start questioning their swoosh purchases. Maybe they'll just focus on converse as the home of the 'core' skaters or whatever

Does that really matter to nike though? According to a quick google search, Nike sold 780 million pairs of shoes in 2019. I have no idea how many shoes they sold for skating, but it can't be that significant. What they've achieved with skating imo is that now a person who is into a skater aesthetic can wear a Nike outfit and not feel like they're dressed to go jogging or something. They achieved the same thing with golf after a big push and then stepped back. Nike wants to be everywhere but they can't dominate every single core market because that's just too much work and they don't need to do it either because 90% of people aren't part of any core and don't put nearly as much thought into why they're gonna buy a certain brand as skaters do.

assvogel

• Rep: 202
« Reply #430 on: May 31, 2021, 05:50:13 AM »
Finnish NikeSB program got canned as well or at least the guy running it. Don't know what it means for riders like Eniz though or what will happen to the distribution, but I'd guess it will be the same across the globe.

honey island

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 640
« Reply #431 on: May 31, 2021, 06:03:59 AM »
The cuts are fucking real, seems like the whole braziliam program  is of, and Fernando Granja (team manger and filmer) is of.

i heard brazil has a tm purely just for the etnies marianas

mooraga

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
« Reply #432 on: May 31, 2021, 06:10:50 AM »

Southamerican team have been chopped off already; the Chilean program got cancelled 1-2 years ago.
Nike Sb Argentina its still going but can't believe exists cause those shoes go REALLY EXPENSIVE over there.

MyUserName

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #433 on: May 31, 2021, 06:28:21 AM »
Reynolds recently talked about it in an interview and he was absolutely right: back in the day, a lot of us (myself included) hated the mega brands infiltrating skateboarding, but kids today don’t give a fuck. When I first started skating, I was told it’s better for skateboarding to support skater-owned brands, so I did. It just made sense. This new beautiful thing I discovered was mine, and I wanted to “protect” it.

I’m not going to sit here and debate right and wrong, people can buy whatever the fuck they want. But I’m genuinely curious and would love if someone could enlighten me: what changed? Why on earth was my generation so quick to reject outsider brands, but dudes today simply don’t care?

Lisa96

« Reply #434 on: May 31, 2021, 06:35:10 AM »
because the outsider brands became the most prevalent during their formative years

Ghost Face

• Rep: 108
« Reply #435 on: May 31, 2021, 06:40:11 AM »
90% of the shoes sold by Vans/Cons/Nike are NOT bought by skaters. and these brands know that. They don't need a skate program besides using it for marketing, good will and tax write offs in trips and production costs.

Nike could can the whole thing and hardly notice the loss in monetary value. Now image loss, that they might feel and that's why they'll keep a smaller team and mix it in with the other sports.

These smaller territories don't even have a column on their spreadsheets.
Jerrys Kid : "I work at my real job like I'm a pro skater. Years of work can be summarized to about 3 minutes worth of actual achievements."

HORSES

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 334
« Reply #436 on: May 31, 2021, 08:38:50 AM »
Nice of them to give us one last video

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1093
« Reply #437 on: May 31, 2021, 08:47:30 AM »
Reynolds recently talked about it in an interview and he was absolutely right: back in the day, a lot of us (myself included) hated the mega brands infiltrating skateboarding, but kids today don’t give a fuck. When I first started skating, I was told it’s better for skateboarding to support skater-owned brands, so I did. It just made sense. This new beautiful thing I discovered was mine, and I wanted to “protect” it.

I’m not going to sit here and debate right and wrong, people can buy whatever the fuck they want. But I’m genuinely curious and would love if someone could enlighten me: what changed? Why on earth was my generation so quick to reject outsider brands, but dudes today simply don’t care?

I think that, in large part, younger kids are much more aware of being marketed to, and are less impressed by who is sponsored by what, except insofar as that person “secured their bag”. Brands are everywhere and they’re all more or less equally shitty, so may as well get the ones that look good or will impress your friends.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Double Thick Filbert

• Rep: -56
« Reply #438 on: May 31, 2021, 10:17:34 AM »
So pretty much nike's new CEO and president came in and said fuck skateboarding and now kader has no money for blunts

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 615
    • a short part avatar image
« Reply #439 on: May 31, 2021, 10:35:05 AM »

I can only speak for myself (30 years old) but I hated every sport I ever tried. Skateboarding was never a sport for me, more like a way to express yourself. When I started skating, I mostly hung around with punks, goths and similar subcultures (terrible word, I know, but you get the point) that wasn't seen as cool as the soccer crowd for example.

It feels like kids nowadays see skating as a sport, just like soccer. And it attracts not only the outsiders, socially awkward kids anymore. It attracts all kinds of kids. Well at least those, who don't pick up a scooter.
IG: @flowterspace

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 680
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #440 on: May 31, 2021, 10:45:03 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I think that, in large part, younger kids are much more aware of being marketed to, and are less impressed by who is sponsored by what, except insofar as that person “secured their bag”. Brands are everywhere and they’re all more or less equally shitty, so may as well get the ones that look good or will impress your friends.

Roger from the 9 club said he thinks "a lot of skate shoe companys pumped out shitty shoes for awhile, and nike adidas nb started making really really good skate shoes" i am not 100% sure if he is referring to the really shitty models that didnt sell well (really experimental/hyphy ones) or if he just means in general.

i dont think that statement is super off point though. most skate shoes did suck in retrospect. putting on accels after not wearing them for like 10 years felt fucked up man. i was like wow how did i skate in these. vans suck. they are budget shoes like accel. going into ~2010 the busenitz was such a better shoe than anything else that ws on the market. nike fans loved those janoskis or whatever. New Bals are the best skate shoe i have ever had though free.

idk fuck nike child labor shit. im not gonna sit and pretend that adidas or nb is made by chill pros in cali but i know they hold their factories to higher standard than nike. i dont tihkn the shoes are that hot either but thats just my opinion. i dont like most of their skaters either dashawn and KB are the main guys i like from there idk i just cant get behind it

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #441 on: June 03, 2021, 09:55:22 AM »
Milder seems chill if he seems like a full on hungrycunt it’s probably cause he’s probably thinking what the fuck have I got to do here

He’s lowkey always done proper gnarly shit reckon they fucked up dropping him and zion
But I hope both get paid those cunts get buck particularly midler in the streets

Midler the dildler is sporting Adidas in the Rome Practice sessions
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 02:32:18 PM by KGB »

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"

Senrud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 54
    • Twatter avatar image
« Reply #442 on: June 03, 2021, 12:08:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Roger from the 9 club said he thinks "a lot of skate shoe companys pumped out shitty shoes for awhile, and nike adidas nb started making really really good skate shoes" i am not 100% sure if he is referring to the really shitty models that didnt sell well (really experimental/hyphy ones) or if he just means in general.

i dont think that statement is super off point though. most skate shoes did suck in retrospect. putting on accels after not wearing them for like 10 years felt fucked up man. i was like wow how did i skate in these. vans suck. they are budget shoes like accel. going into ~2010 the busenitz was such a better shoe than anything else that ws on the market. nike fans loved those janoskis or whatever. New Bals are the best skate shoe i have ever had though free.

idk fuck nike child labor shit. im not gonna sit and pretend that adidas or nb is made by chill pros in cali but i know they hold their factories to higher standard than nike. i dont tihkn the shoes are that hot either but thats just my opinion. i dont like most of their skaters either dashawn and KB are the main guys i like from there idk i just cant get behind it

I think it also depends when you started skateboarding/ became aware of the industry. If you're in your 30s or older there was a time when Nike and Adidas were still viewed as the outsiders or the new guys, but at this point the bigger corporations have been in the the game for 20+ years. Gonz has been on adidas since '98. Granted their programs started small and grew, but point is, WE knew a time when these companies weren't part of the core group, most kids skating today don't. It's also just the wheel of trends and what popular culture has been for the last 10+ years or whatever. Skateboarding went from a punk/outsider activity and grew in acceptability, so that section of the pool got diluted with all the new blood that had never really viewed themselves or skateboarding as outcasts. Also, in the trend wheel you can only stay Piss Drunk and punk rock for so long before the wheel keeps turning and you end back at athletic inspired technical skate shoes, Nautica and Hilfiger jeans. So, you know, hard to make a fit work with emerica Laced and some wind pants or whatever.

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 127
« Reply #443 on: June 03, 2021, 12:59:09 PM »
So pretty much nike's new CEO and president came in and said fuck skateboarding and now kader has no money for blunts

Am I missing the joke or something? I though Kader was on Adidas. And how tf get/blow 70K on weed! wow.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -762
« Reply #444 on: June 03, 2021, 01:55:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Am I missing the joke or something? I though Kader was on Adidas. And how tf get/blow 70K on weed! wow.

I didn't the 70k bit is true
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Witcheshit

• Rep: 3
  • nosebeforehoes.blogspot.com
    • nose before hoes avatar image
« Reply #445 on: June 04, 2021, 08:00:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Max Palmer?
[close]

Max has never been on there. Neither have Caleb Barnett, Andrew Wilson or Nik Stain though.

Looks like Terps, Justin Brock & Fernando Bramsark are all off, joining Weiger & Willis Kimbel on the scrap heap.

Damn. Now this site in Brocks ig bio makes sense. https://www.sbcareerdevelopment.com/ Same with Dani Lebron and Erik J Pettersson.  :'(

Roll Forever Tate, 360 Frip, Yappie Dappie, Rusty, T Mack, Pablo, Malcolm, Nosey, Abair

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1324
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #446 on: June 04, 2021, 09:01:10 PM »
^Yo those headshots. They all look so bummed
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
« Reply #447 on: June 04, 2021, 10:16:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Max Palmer?
[close]

[close]

Damn. Now this site in Brocks ig bio makes sense. https://www.sbcareerdevelopment.com/ Same with Dani Lebron and Erik J Pettersson.  :'(
made possible with the help of nike sb apparently though

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
« Reply #448 on: June 04, 2021, 10:24:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Max Palmer?
[close]

[close]

[close]
made possible with the help of nike sb apparently though

Yeah this seems like a positive thing SB is doing to give skaters a way to transition from being pro. There’s only so many TM spots out there

KGB

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -461
« Reply #449 on: June 05, 2021, 12:28:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Max Palmer?
[close]

Uh no. Willis Kimbel is def not off Nike.

"Armed with seven rounds of space doo-doo pistols"