Author Topic: Bones Big Balls Prototypes  (Read 2649 times)

switchfrontshuv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 48
Bones Big Balls Prototypes
« on: April 28, 2021, 12:17:49 AM »
So im sure its no secret that bones big balls are a commercial failure - their cages break easily.

Im sure some of you can attest to this, and likely have gotten a new set due to a warranty claim (god bless bones customer service).

Anyways, I did end up getting a replacement for the big balls I initially broke, and these ones held up a bit better (only one or two ended up breaking). I got another email from the CS guy at bones and he asked me if I was interested to try out and review a new version of the bones big balls theyre testing out that have thicker retainers (cages), obviously I agreed.

On first look the retainers are much beefier, they stick out above the balls quite a bit, almost going past the width of the bearing.

Just wanted to share that there is still hope for those still wanting a low-price 6 ball bones bearing. I did absolutely love the big balls before I broke them, they seem to keep speed and roll smoother than the reds ive been skating for as long as I remember.

If anyone is curious I can post about how the bearings feel compared to the old ones, its ramadan though so I doubt ill be skating much untill mid may

SuperRupp

• Rep: 2
Re: Bones Big Balls Prototypes
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 02:36:17 AM »
So im sure its no secret that bones big balls are a commercial failure - their cages break easily.

Im sure some of you can attest to this, and likely have gotten a new set due to a warranty claim (god bless bones customer service).

Anyways, I did end up getting a replacement for the big balls I initially broke, and these ones held up a bit better (only one or two ended up breaking). I got another email from the CS guy at bones and he asked me if I was interested to try out and review a new version of the bones big balls theyre testing out that have thicker retainers (cages), obviously I agreed.

On first look the retainers are much beefier, they stick out above the balls quite a bit, almost going past the width of the bearing.

Just wanted to share that there is still hope for those still wanting a low-price 6 ball bones bearing. I did absolutely love the big balls before I broke them, they seem to keep speed and roll smoother than the reds ive been skating for as long as I remember.

If anyone is curious I can post about how the bearings feel compared to the old ones, its ramadan though so I doubt ill be skating much untill mid may

Can you post some photos of these?

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 850
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 03:12:19 AM »
I don't really think they've been a commercial failure at all. They always seem to sell out first at my local shop and the setup thread seems to have a lot of people skating them.

Boog

• Rep: 196
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 04:43:09 AM »
I changed my wheels and literally every bearing was broke. And I only skate ledges and flat mainly. The funny thing is that I didn't even notice and they were still good up until I took them out lol.

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2021, 12:11:39 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Can you post some photos of these?

hard to tell from the image but if you can tell the bearing on the right is the prototype
also email Kam from Skate One sent me lol

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2021, 12:12:31 AM »
I changed my wheels and literally every bearing was broke. And I only skate ledges and flat mainly. The funny thing is that I didn't even notice and they were still good up until I took them out lol.

haha yeah same story!

toey jershay

• Rep: -10
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2021, 08:04:07 AM »
or just buy swiss 6's or regular swiss and be done with it

PAWL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -70
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 09:00:54 AM »
mine were solid until like four of the broke on back to back days. running some independent black bearings that were on deep discount, they're actually good!
yo mike mo new age ape style high five with my reborn hand.

2008 psychedelic experience. thanks.

Space Monkey

• Rep: 35
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 09:31:29 AM »
My main grip with Bones bearings has always been how the bearing cages shatter and lock up the wheel (happens with all bearings but by using bones mostly, I have seen it more with bones).
If they push thicker cages across their lineup they will be unfuckwithable.

ish_wav

• Rep: 96
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 10:01:31 AM »
I had no clue they warranty claimed these. I was so bummed when I broke mine in just a couple of sessions! I switched to the Swiss six balls and those were perfectly fine

pops

• Rep: 238
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2021, 10:53:51 AM »
I skated Big Balls for two weeks last summer, broke 6 out of 8 bearings in that time. Contacted Bones and they asked me send them back to store I bought them from but didn't bother. Never touching them again.

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2021, 01:47:02 PM »
My main grip with Bones bearings has always been how the bearing cages shatter and lock up the wheel (happens with all bearings but by using bones mostly, I have seen it more with bones).

same story especially in the cold. excited to see how these go

SuperRupp

• Rep: 2
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2021, 06:13:19 PM »
I had no clue they warranty claimed these. I was so bummed when I broke mine in just a couple of sessions! I switched to the Swiss six balls and those were perfectly fine

I’m dumb. I had no idea this thread was about Reds big balls. Didn’t know they were even a thing. Thought it was talking about Swiss 6. Was concerned I just bought they expensive Swiss bearings that had issues.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2021, 11:03:08 PM »
I think you can just buy the cages.....

Mesteezo

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Rep: 65
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2021, 11:06:16 PM »

Do you pop the shields off your bearings by any chance?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2021, 05:21:48 AM »
gotta say i was surprised how i managed to almost completely wreck two bearings almost to shit within a few months, but this would explain it. i cleaned them out and fixed up the whole set, but i was a little bummed.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2022, 08:28:44 AM »
5 broken cages out of 16 bearings, 2 sets bought 2 years ago, almost 3, I'm disapointed

Bristol_Palin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 510
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2022, 08:54:28 AM »
Go birds

tuesday

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
  • The mistery of shadows
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2022, 10:01:52 AM »
Well I'm rather upper class high society
God's gift to ballroom notoriety
And I always fill my ballroom
The event is never small
The social pages say I've got

I've got big balls
I've got big balls
They're such big balls
And they're dirty big balls
And he's got big balls
And she's got big balls
(But we've got the biggest balls of them all)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 991
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2022, 11:15:10 AM »
or just buy swiss 6's or regular swiss and be done with it

As someone with both swiss 6 and big balls, Swiss 6 is your 6 ball answer.

Also, FWIW, I cleaned mine after the first week (they were dog slow out of the box) with a citrus cleaner, it discolored the balls and races...has never happened with any other bearing....went back to swiss 6 and bronson ceramics, both still going strong.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 11:27:31 AM by Xen »

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2022, 12:55:15 AM »
You talk about reds & other low-end bones bearings right? I’m on my 4th set of swiss after set of 6balls and never seen this happen, and plenty of my friends ride swiss too… Last time I got reds like 3/8 broke within first week so I assume you’re talking about those.
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2022, 06:32:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You talk about reds & other low-end bones bearings right? I’m on my 4th set of swiss after set of 6balls and never seen this happen, and plenty of my friends ride swiss too… Last time I got reds like 3/8 broke within first week so I assume you’re talking about those.

I ran a set of Reds for a few years with not a single broken cage. My friend broke half of his in a few weeks. Go figure. I guess their quality can vary a lot.

I still have some old bearings to get through but I’m mainly running Swiss Six now for quite a few years with no issues. Got some SKFs too when they relaunched their skate bearings but I haven’t used those enough to give a proper review yet.

switchfrontshuv

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2024, 06:56:51 PM »
Yo if antones interested, its been years since i posted this and im now older and more fried.

I dont reallt remember what happened to those big balls but i do know they lasted a long time - probably years but yeah thick cages woo

I think the best thing i did on these bearings was bs flip and bigspin a gap and learn bs suskis and stuff all trendy and whatnot

im in a different city now living alone and am skating a lot less on some weird modus titanium bearings (thats such a ratty bearing to skate) anyways cheers mates Eid mubarak

i wish this was the bearings thread fuck

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 774
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2024, 09:13:56 PM »
Eid Mubarak.

I had OK experiences with Big Balls. But Swiss 6 for life, in'shallah.