Author Topic: Board Specs Help Thread  (Read 2208 times)

fs1/2cab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 595
    • a short part avatar image
Board Specs Help Thread
« on: April 28, 2021, 01:36:34 AM »
So I thought it would be a nice idea to help each other out if we are looking for specific deck specs and which woodshop/company does them. I'll start.

Width: 8.1 - 8.2
Wheelbase: 14 - 14.25
Length: 31.6 - 31.8
Concave: Mellow
Woodshop: everything, not sure about HLC quality tho

And of course ya all can kook me if that is stupid.
Cheers pals
IG: @flowterspace

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1240
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Board Specs Help Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 02:43:17 AM »
Brick House

When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 03:10:12 AM »
So I thought it would be a nice idea to help each other out if we are looking for specific deck specs and which woodshop/company does them. I'll start.

Cheers pals

Fuck. We might have to take this to PMs because that's in my wheelhouse and I've got a mental illness that requires me to try anything I find that fits. I can write 10 pages on this easy.

Right now, my number one recommendation would be the Scumco evan smith 8.25. There's some considerable stack variation (as with most PS board) but the bottom stack, most mellow ones are one of my favorite boards ever. That being said, PS wood doesn't last super long and it's not super stiff (which some people dislike), plus the kicks are pretty square, so if any of that isnt up your alley you might not love it.

So here's a few others off the top of my head that are high in my list.

DOA Flat as fuck (e mold) - hard to find right now, but there should be some coming out relatively soon. I personally prefer the 8.12 slightly but the 8.25 is fantastic too. South Central is thicker and stiffer than PS but it has tons of pop and lasts forever.

Blood Wizard 8.25 (PGI) - the new BW boards are clutch but theres still a fair bit of PGI out there so not hard to find. The PGI will be 31.63 length with a 14wb. Big nose for a short board, really nice mellow tail, good stiff wood (some people shit on it for being China wood but it's good enough that people mistake it for BBS a lot) that lasts a while.

Some of the flattest boards I've seen/skated have been the Toy Machine mellow mold PS ones, but the 8.25 usually has a 14.5 wb for some reason. I don't notice it as much on that shape as I do others though, and it's still really good. Unfortunately it's kind of a mess with toy machine boards from at least 4 diff woodshops in shops right now, so make sure it's PS. Alternatively, if you don't mind pink the Scumco Brian Downey board from the latest PS run is the toy machine mellow shape (including the long wb).

If you want something flat concave but medium kicks the Watson pressed tumyeto boards are good too. And of course there's always quasi and the scumco beall/Abair PS shapes. For BBS id say birdhouse is probably the best "mellow" (I don't consider any bbs molds truly mellow) one, and I think Element and Uma use that mold as well. There's also Pennswood silver spoon if you like heavier duty boards but it's kind of weird feeling for me, the tail feels steeper than the nose or something.

If any of these interests you and you need help tracking one down let me know. Any time I come across a board in my wheelhouse I bookmark it even if Im not currently looking for one. If that fails and you don't mind used boards I'm in the process of trimming down my ludicrously large stack, so if you (or anyone else) are in the states shoot me a message and we can possibly work something out.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2021, 09:12:51 AM »
Oh yeah not sure if I'd really call this truly mellow either, but if you're the kind of fella who likes FUN the enjoi deedz 8.37 shape is pretty good too. Kicks are little steeper than I like. It skates like an 8.12 so don't worry about the width. Alternatively if you skate sub 8" boards regularly then the blind lotti showgirls reissue is the same thing just scaled down.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2021, 10:59:57 AM »
Woah thanks for all the information @Buttfart Rapedick.
Will gnar you in 5 years when I reach ultimate pal status.

And I will look into that all. Is DOA stuff available in Europe? I loved that last video they put out.
And that deedz shape looks really fun I have to say. :)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 937
  • U neg cuz UR insecure-glad I got under your skin
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2021, 11:10:26 AM »

Cheers pals

I like a nice 8.18, here is what I found recently:

Sour 8.18x31.875x14.18WB - very mellow, roundedpointy
917 8.18x31.8ish 14.18WB - thick feeling (like SC) but it is a slick - medium
Palace Puig  8.2x31.875x14.25 WB steep kicks, mellow concave, typical DSM

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2021, 01:17:04 PM »
this will quickly turn into another nerd cave and i can't wait.

looking for something like this

width: 8.2-8.4
wb:14 or even under
length: under 32, preferrably around 31.5
shape: standard popsicle or egg/footballish
concave: more than mellow, but not exactly deep either. shallow, but curvy maybe? i like passport decks for example, but their wb is longer than 14
kicks: medium to mellow, don't like very steep kicks like hockey, fa, etc...
woodshop: pretty much anything, mainly concerned about dims and shape. if it has pop and lasts reasonably long that's fine. preferrably tho: bbs, dsm, pennswood or south central. not a ps fan, those things always feel heavy, waterlogged and soft after 3 seshs to me.

already know evisen and palace make 8.25s with a 14 inch wb and a shape i could probably deal with, but i wouldn't mind some alternatives if there are any.

@fs1/2cab you could check out baker og shapes. they come with a 14.25 wheelbase around those widths. i had a 8.25 that i would pretty much describe as mellow by all means, 14.25 wheelbase, a tad under 32 inches long. skated fine, but for me it was too mellow. i desperately tried to get used to very flat or mellow boards for some reason(nah, it's because they look cool in footage), but decided to cut my losses and move back to boards with a bit more bottom, after setting up an old one i'm not sure why i even bothered trying to skate flatter decks tbh.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2021, 03:59:15 PM »
Woah thanks for all the information @Buttfart Rapedick.
Will gnar you in 5 years when I reach ultimate pal status.

And I will look into that all. Is DOA stuff available in Europe? I loved that last video they put out.
And that deedz shape looks really fun I have to say. :)

Ahhh you're EU, that makes my recommendations a lot less applicable. Sadly, DOA isn't available in any EU shops that I know of but I'll check with the owner and let you know. I know theres a shop in the UK that carried some at one point but its really expensive to ship stuff overseas when you're a small company like DOA so I don't think it became like a regular thing. There's some shops in Japan, but I'd imagine it would be cheaper to just import from the US if you were to go that route.

HLC has a decent "mellow" mold, Sour puts a few boards out on it usually. The last one I got was the Gustav "Love Gun" 8.25. It's still got kind of that spoony concave that other HLC decks do, except toned down a bit. I'd classify it as being closer to the medium end of the mellow spectrum. Good wood though, if they had one that was a little shorter I'd definitely fuck with it.

peterpenis

• Rep: 6
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2021, 07:42:10 AM »
looking for a longer board, since I'm 6.6 and finally not a broke student anymore so i can buy something else than shop boards. the girl G056 looks interesting:

Width: 8.6″
Length: 32.625″
Wheelbase: 14.75″

but ideally from bbs or one of the good eu wood shops

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2021, 08:57:43 AM »
looking for a longer board, since I'm 6.6 and finally not a broke student anymore so i can buy something else than shop boards. the girl G056 looks interesting:

Anti-Hero's 8.62" shape is pretty much that, 14.75" WB and 32.56" overall. Slightly shorter, but...

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2021, 10:13:45 AM »
Brick House

Only if she’s 5’3”.

peterpenis

• Rep: 6
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2021, 12:26:45 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Anti-Hero's 8.62" shape is pretty much that, 14.75" WB and 32.56" overall. Slightly shorter, but...

weirdly ive never seen that shape, thanks i'll look out for it. or maybe the 8.75 dlx shape. hopefully things are back to normal soon and you can actually choose what gear you want

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2021, 01:15:43 AM »

Just saw this Quasi
https://wearecivil.com/shop/skate/deck/quasi-ply-2-deck-8-62/
8.625″ x 33″ WB 14.75″
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2021, 08:28:36 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Just saw this Quasi
8.625″ x 33″ WB 14.75″

Just a heads up, at least when I had one a few years ago that shape is closer to 32" since quasi measures length with the tape pushed in. Nose and tail were a lot smaller than I like so that board and I didn't get along too well.

burm

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2021, 10:02:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Just saw this Quasi
8.625″ x 33″ WB 14.75″
[close]

Just a heads up, at least when I had one a few years ago that shape is closer to 32" since quasi measures length with the tape pushed in. Nose and tail were a lot smaller than I like so that board and I didn't get along too well.

That’s good to know since I was considering the 8.375 or whatever version of this board today, so probably I need to see it in person before pulling the trigger.
take what small comfort there may be left
seize what you love and damn all the rest

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2021, 10:15:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Just saw this Quasi
8.625″ x 33″ WB 14.75″
[close]

So that 32" length Quasi have could actually be a bit shorter? Now I'm intrigued

Fhk

Spaced Cadet

• Rep: 111
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2021, 12:03:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Just saw this Quasi
8.625″ x 33″ WB 14.75″
[close]

[close]

So that 32" length Quasi have could actually be a bit shorter? Now I'm intrigued

Yeah I got a 8.5x33 14.5WB Quasi board and it was 32.25 measuring straight across. A pretty big 0.75 difference.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2021, 06:39:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Just saw this Quasi
8.625″ x 33″ WB 14.75″
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah I got a 8.5x33 14.5WB Quasi board and it was 32.25 measuring straight across. A pretty big 0.75 difference.

Just measured an old Quasi 8.5" in the shorter shape, the one that's listed as 32.125" with a 14.25" WB. Tip to tip, without pressing the tape it is actually 31.75".

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2021, 01:50:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Just saw this Quasi
8.625″ x 33″ WB 14.75″
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Just measured an old Quasi 8.5" in the shorter shape, the one that's listed as 32.125" with a 14.25" WB. Tip to tip, without pressing the tape it is actually 31.75".

Woah. 31.75 is the golden length for me. Is there a 8.125 version of that?

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 973
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2021, 02:32:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

weirdly ive never seen that shape, thanks i'll look out for it. or maybe the 8.75 dlx shape. hopefully things are back to normal soon and you can actually choose what gear you want

There are a few around, but the cream classic eagle was the 8.6 shape, the white classic eagle which I have seen everywhere (in US shop instagram posts) is the 8.75 and a great all rounder for a big board.

Black Label also puts out a pretty good 8.6 popsicle (Jason Adams model) in each run and that seems to be fairly readily available too, as well as being BBS wood.

https://blacklabelskates.bigcartel.com/products

The Real 8.75 is fairly common and I have seen those in Australia, as well as US shop accounts - same as the white classic eagle, but specs vary slightly between different shops even though it is the same board.

Width (inches)   8.75
Length (inches)   32.75
Wheelbase (inches)   14.62

• Anti Hero Team Board
• Width 8.75"
• Length 32.5"
• Wheelbase: 14.625"

SPECS
SIZE   8.75
WIDTH (IN):   8.75
LENGTH (IN):   32.75
WHEELBASE (IN):   14.62
NOSE (IN):   7.25
TAIL (IN):   6.625
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 02:44:30 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2021, 06:08:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Just saw this Quasi
8.625″ x 33″ WB 14.75″
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

IIRC their 8.125 is actually even shorter, but I've never skated one.

Also worth mentioning that the 8.5 in that shape (at least the old one I have) tapers down to 8.25" over the back truck.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2021, 07:31:28 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Don’t forget about Black Label, they make some of the biggest/longest boards out.

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2021, 01:16:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Just saw this Quasi
8.625″ x 33″ WB 14.75″
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Also worth mentioning that the 8.5 in that shape (at least the old one I have) tapers down to 8.25" over the back truck.

The Quasi site says
8.125 × 31.75 with a 14.125 wb

Got a head ups today from a pal and have one on my way, shoutout Lobby Skateshop (Hamburg).

I know ya all can't wait for my review, so I will let ya know. 😅

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2021, 11:59:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Just saw this Quasi
8.625″ x 33″ WB 14.75″
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The Quasi site says

Got a head ups today from a pal and have one on my way, shoutout Lobby Skateshop (Hamburg).

Every Quasi I have ever owned has been about .25" shorter than what was listed (same goes for anything out of Sovereign Sect); Case in point, the 8.25 Proto is listed as 8.25" x 32.125" WB 14.25" but every one I've owned has always been around 31.8 ish give or take.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2021, 12:06:03 PM »
True, just got the new Justin Henry slick, site says: 8.375" x 32.25" WB 14.25"
PS Stix length measurement is done with the tape pressed down, so straight across length measured about 31.875"
Other measurements are on point. This one's tail is pretty flat too for those out there looking for medium flatness, this is a solid choice.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 12:39:13 PM by Firebert »

fs1/2cab

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2021, 12:28:22 PM »
When my math isn't off now..

31.5 and 31.75 is a difference of 5mm?

So what @Xen says.. AWS/Habitat decks are 0.25" shorter as they say? Is that also true in Europe?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2021, 01:13:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Just saw this Quasi
8.625″ x 33″ WB 14.75″
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The Quasi site says

they need to put length and wheelbase on their site, seriously tho. but i'm glad you support them. they're the homies.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2021, 03:11:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Just saw this Quasi
8.625″ x 33″ WB 14.75″
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The Quasi site says

Quasi/GX 8.12 is 31.25 tip to tip. I've even seen one that was slightly shorter at just over 31" (the Dick Rizzo Toy one with the blue dog on it) but I'm assuming that was just one of those weird ones you sometimes get where something is slightly off.

If you want 31.75 tip to tip with 14.25wb then get the 8.25. It's one of the better mellow tail'ed shapes that's widely available. Just beware that Quasi has recently been running two 8.25 shapes... the one I mentioned and then another that is a little longer (I think its right around 32" tip to tip, been a minute since I had one), has a 14.4 wb, and has a more tapered/less square shape. I've seen Bledsoe and Josh Wilson graphics on it. I don't think GX1000 does that one so if you want to make sure you get the 14.25wb one you could look for one of those, they're the same shapes and molds.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2021, 11:09:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Just saw this Quasi
8.625″ x 33″ WB 14.75″
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The Quasi site says

[close]

Quasi/GX 8.12 is 31.25 tip to tip. I've even seen one that was slightly shorter at just over 31" (the Dick Rizzo Toy one with the blue dog on it) but I'm assuming that was just one of those weird ones you sometimes get where something is slightly off.

If you want 31.75 tip to tip with 14.25wb then get the 8.25. It's one of the better mellow tail'ed shapes that's widely available. Just beware that Quasi has recently been running two 8.25 shapes... the one I mentioned and then another that is a little longer (I think its right around 32" tip to tip, been a minute since I had one), has a 14.4 wb, and has a more tapered/less square shape. I've seen Bledsoe and Josh Wilson graphics on it. I don't think GX1000 does that one so if you want to make sure you get the 14.25wb one you could look for one of those, they're the same shapes and molds.

I blind bought that quasi shape assuming all quasi 8.25" were the proto shape (square) not a fan of the other 8.25"