Author Topic: Bouldering?  (Read 1204 times)

superleftswipebby

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
Bouldering?
« on: August 24, 2021, 01:15:08 PM »
any of y’all into it?

Hinna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 74
Re: Bouldering?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2021, 02:40:52 PM »
indoor. probably doesnt even count. fun though

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1055
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2021, 02:56:46 PM »
Smokin’ crack? I’m down. You holdin’???

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 07:31:57 PM »
Yep, I climb a bunch.  Both indoors, and outdoors. 

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1220
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2021, 07:32:26 PM »
I couldn’t drag my fat ass up a pebble.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Shifty Flip

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 302
  • and the whistle is screaming
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2021, 07:58:11 PM »
Don't Boulder in Settlers Park or Chief Niwot will appear and curse your whole crew. 

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2021, 09:44:10 PM »
Went to earthtreks for the first time last week. Was really fun but damn the membership is so expensive idk if ill get into it.

truthislie

• Rep: 55
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2021, 12:32:57 AM »
I rope climb outdoors and boulder indoors in winter. I have started three or four years ago and have a baby and job and skating, so I cant climb very often. However going with friends that are on the same level/slightly better than you is so much fun. Also your body gets nice and lean when you do it often. There was a winter when I went 2-3 times a week (no indoor skatepark nearby) and I got through it a lot less miserable than usually.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2021, 05:42:56 AM »
Mundanematt?

friendly dave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 736
  • grinding to a halt
    • grindingtoahalt avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2021, 03:00:26 PM »
I like it and do it occasionally but I prefer sport climbing. There are a few nice little crags around Portland, and I try to do a trip out to Smith Rock once a year.
Because you can't kill and idea, and we will not be ruled!

the visuals are also mad visual yo
FTW

Ayanami

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2021, 11:33:00 PM »
recently got into climbing, loving it so far. Pretty skinny dude here so going to a regular gym always seemed too intimidating so I’m hoping this is a good alternative to staying in shape.

Anyone got any tips on how to avoid being so sore? Or is just a beginner thing?
i like the tiny headed bear who says nice stuff to everyone.

in love w/ fs shuvs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 111
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 12:17:27 AM »
All my friends do it but that shits gnarly you can just fall straight down and there's no way to bail/roll. They were climbing at earthtreks and some girl fell and broke her arm.

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2021, 12:49:24 AM »
I climbed through my whole childhood, cause my parents were/are into it. Stopped as a teenager and got into skating. My parents started to climb in communist Poland in the late 70s, shit was real. You could not buy real gear and they had to be super creative to fix themself shoes and security gear. When my mom and I left Poland we had 100 D-Mark with us. And she spend that money on her first pair of real climbing shoes. 

Think it's one of the greatest sports ever, especially outdoors. Having great memories climbing in southern France all the time, camping in caves and doing all the fun outdoor shit. Got to see Alexander Adler trying to redo Action Directe (first 9a) in the early 90s. Two years ago I blessed myself with a trip to yosemite and looked at El Capitan in real life ... it was the same feeling as being to EMB/Love Park/Brooklyn Banks for the first time after studying the magazines for 20-30 years.

Climbing and skating have a lot in common. Street/nature vs. skatepark/indoor, self motivation, spot tourism and more. 

Sorry for the nostalgic post by a non-climber.

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2021, 01:25:28 AM »
Actually went climbing for the first time last week and just was using my hands too much instead of getting up and then kind of relying on the harness more. I only got up one route and was done for the day. I went fast af but exhausted all the strength in my fingers. It was fun while it lasted though.

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2021, 07:57:53 AM »
I used to belong to an indoor gym back when a membership was like $80 for an entire year, unlimited.

I loved climbing but got super bored bouldering. When my climbing friend/belay partner moved away I basically quit and just focused on skating. I wish I had stuck with climbing.

Lenny the Fatface

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 330
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2021, 02:10:48 PM »
Looks sick, but membership around my way is like $75 a month, fuck that. That’s almost martial arts prices.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2021, 08:26:06 AM »
i've been bouldering for quite a few years with some brakes in between. it's very fun to go with a small crew and really solve the problems together. it almost feels like a skate session at times. indoor mostly, because outdoor is such a mission and scary as hell.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2021, 03:45:28 PM »
I boulder almost year round outdoors and obviously train indoors. I've done every type of climbing and been all over the Western US and France to climb. I also make hardwood climbing holds as a side gig: @DubGrips on IG. I don't really like indoor climbing unless it's on a board (Moon Board, spray wall, etc.), but outside climbing feels much more like skating. In skating a passerby is like "why are they sliding down the railing that makes no sense" and in climbing it's like "why are they trying to get up the rock the hardest way possible".

ihatejulio

• Mods
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1091
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2021, 04:24:25 PM »
i don't know anything about this boulder business but i will say that balderdash is a fantastic word and very fun to say out loud if i do say so myself

behavioralguide

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 770
  • dog stuff
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2021, 10:47:44 PM »
broken wrist at the moment but right before I got some guys from our (skate) crew to try it out (gym) and they're all hooked now. I guess everyone always compares their extracurriculars to skating, and usually mention how much they are alike. But bouldering really does scratch a similar itch for me.

wish I could go climbing outdoors, but there's really nothing to climb here, closest place people go is like 350 miles out and that's too much of a mission for me.

when I walk around the city, walls do be looking different now
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 11:13:08 PM by behavioralguide »

Ayanami

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2021, 12:59:50 AM »
Anyone have either La Sportiva Miura’s or Solutions? Been needing to upgrade shoes and need something that will aid me in surpassing V7’s and cutty overhangs in the gym.

essal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 80
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2021, 05:12:32 AM »
i can't fit miuras, but i did fit into a pair of skawas which i liked a lot. i always have to go into physical stores to try to shoes, because my arch apparently is insane.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 509
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2021, 05:57:48 AM »

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2021, 10:09:06 AM »
Anyone have either La Sportiva Miura’s or Solutions? Been needing to upgrade shoes and need something that will aid me in surpassing V7’s and cutty overhangs in the gym.
I have the Miura VS and absolutely love them. I only use them for outdoor sport climbing, but would imagine they would perform well in the gym. Solutions are obviously one of the most popular shoes out there. I would say go try them both on and see what fits your foot better. For me, fit is the main thing I look for in a shoe since we all have different feet.

Ayanami

« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2021, 12:27:12 PM »
i can't fit miuras, but i did fit into a pair of skawas which i liked a lot. i always have to go into physical stores to try to shoes, because my arch apparently is insane.
Same here with the high arch, except I got a very narrow foot so I heard the Muira’s not be for me but I did want that as my outdoor shoe over the TC Pro.

Ayanami

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2021, 12:29:51 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I have the Miura VS and absolutely love them. I only use them for outdoor sport climbing, but would imagine they would perform well in the gym. Solutions are obviously one of the most popular shoes out there. I would say go try them both on and see what fits your foot better. For me, fit is the main thing I look for in a shoe since we all have different feet.
I have yet to see solutions outside, figured they were just a gnarly bouldering-focused shoe.

How are the Miura’s as an outdoor sport shoe? I liked my tarantulace a lot as an outdoor shoe so I’d want something similar.

skateboardnorth

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2021, 08:11:38 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Same here with the high arch, except I got a very narrow foot so I heard the Muira’s not be for me but I did want that as my outdoor shoe over the TC Pro.
You could always try the female version of the Miura VS.  They only go up to men's size 9 I believe.  So if that's in your range, they are worth trying on. 

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2021, 11:54:28 PM »
Boulder?! I hardly know her!

GliderSkateboards

• Rep: 35
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2021, 09:56:47 PM »
Bouldering is really fun & i feel like the lifestyle behind it is similar to skateboarding in a lot of ways (catching up with homies while climbing, etc.)....but sadly had to give it up because of the lack of free time...basically choose skating over it. Went to Cliffs of ID quite a bit

notinternetfamous

• Rep: 309
  • Watch PURGATORY - the Sproul video
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2022, 08:21:49 AM »
wanted to bump this thread as I recently picked up bouldering and got a membership at a gym. I've ran into several skaters at the climbing gym now which is pretty neat. wanted to see how you guys balance both because lately, i've been climbing way more than skating. I started bouldering about 3 weeks ago and I'm hyped to be able to do V3's without too much of a struggle.