Author Topic: back crooks and nollie heel problems  (Read 878 times)

VHS ERA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
back crooks and nollie heel problems
« on: April 29, 2021, 10:56:11 AM »
When you’re trying to come out of back crook to regular, and the board flips a half heelflip instead of staying with your feet. any advice for that? I can land them sometimes but that happens to me a whole lot. Crooks 180 to fakie are no problem but eh.

Nollie heel- my switch game is pretty nonexistent but I’ve started getting nollie heels sometimes. Any advice on them appreciated. Sometimes they roll on the ground because I kicked down too hard on the flip, sometimes I pop and whiff the flick entirely.I fully kick with my leg but the board stays flat in the air, no flip at all lol. I’m at a point where I’m popping and landing them sometimes just fine, but that airball non flip looks so stupid I don’t even want to practice them in public because it’s 50/50 chance that happens. Anyone know what’s going on there?  Simultaneously working on switch heels and pretty much same story.

SOS

GardenSkater77

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1035
Re: back crooks and nollie heel problems
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 11:31:05 AM »
I know what you mean about the crooked grind dribbling out and the board turning and the fact that you turn 180 out makes sense. Crooked grinds grind better to regular when on heel instead of toe. If you lock in with your heel on the ledge and come out at the end it won’t turn. You should get a little pop at the end of the ledge. When on toe it is hard to pop out.

I used to have a flat ground nollie heel but I stopped doing them cause I took it up the ass too much and couldn’t do it down anything and I hated just doing flat ground I couldn’t take anywhere. I can picture doing them by setting my front foot on the backside curve of the nose with my backfoot toes off heel just in from the edge. When you pop your front foot you push the front foot off the nose while rolling your heel off the back on the frontside so basically allowing the board to flip with my legs on both sides of the board. My problem with this trick was opening up front side and having to shuffle the board from the tail on landing, but I never landed a nollie kick flip and I feel like nollie heels are much easier because of the lack of delay from nollie to the flip.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 11:37:50 AM by GardenSkater77 »

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 03:24:41 PM »
I know what you mean about the crooked grind dribbling out and the board turning and the fact that you turn 180 out makes sense. Crooked grinds grind better to regular when on heel instead of toe. If you lock in with your heel on the ledge and come out at the end it won’t turn. You should get a little pop at the end of the ledge. When on toe it is hard to pop out.

This is absolutely right, it's all in the heel.  If you mash on the heel when you're pinched in the grind and use it to push your wheel away from the ledge so your board isn't at an angle as you come off the end, it should keep your board stuck to your feet so you can really stomp it and keep your speed coming off. Same with popping out in the middle of a ledge, but you can sometimes get a baby nollie popping out if do a little hop off your front foot as you lean back a tiny bit and roll your back foot up the tail.

I got nothing for nollie heelflips, those fuckers are a credit card waiting to happen for me. 

VHS ERA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 210
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2021, 03:39:34 PM »
this is insane I been doing crooks for many years and very much do it on my toes, thought that’s the only way. Going to have wrap my brain around this heel thing.

Switch heel seems more risky than nollie for my asshole

Blueabyssofthisss

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 11:08:42 AM »
I got some nollie heel tips. Pop straight down with your toes really fast. Also the popping foot is same position as a nollie. Idk how pros and most people slightly tweak their pop foot when setting up, for me that ruins all the timing or I get nollie inward heel.
 Some days my flick is off because I’m flicking more off the side rather than directly off the nose. As soon as I start consciously aiming my heel in the nose’ direction, it starts working good again.
I also sit back (like I’m sitting in a chair) slightly like all heelflip variations, and jump directly up making sure my shoulders are square and all.
When I was learning these I’d overthink it when trying to jump straight up and keeping everything aligned, so I’d jump off 2 feet rather than 1 foot. This was basically blocking my own shot.
The timing is exactly like a nollie. If you’re getting it up the bum or getting ghost pop, do 15 good nollies in a row to lock in the proper timing.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 523
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 01:52:17 PM »
Getting the board up your butt/choad on nollie heels comes from trying to start the flip too early before you've properly snapped the nose, and from leaning forward too much. Gotta center your weight over your board before nollieing.