Author Topic: Film Trucks  (Read 13765 times)

FrozenIndustries

Film Trucks
« on: May 01, 2021, 06:47:42 PM »
So you can stop posting about them in the Ace thread. Thanks.

antarctica

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 21
  • why
Re: Film Trucks
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 06:52:23 PM »
my bad

antarctica

• why
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 06:59:08 PM »
Ill ask the same question I asked in the ace thread but can someone please tell me the hanger + axle widths of film 5.5s and 6.0s? I skate 8.5s mostly so not sure what size I should go with.

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 07:09:15 PM »
Ill ask the same question I asked in the ace thread but can someone please tell me the hanger + axle widths of film 5.5s and 6.0s? I skate 8.5s mostly so not sure what size I should go with.

Old Indy sizing, so 5.5 would be a 8.38 axle, the 6.0 around 8.68. Hanger widths are stamped on the bottom, 145 and 155. So on a 8.5, 5.5's would magic carpet a smidge, and the axles on the 6.0's would hotdog a bit. 

antarctica

• why
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 07:16:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Old Indy sizing, so 5.5 would be a 8.38 axle, the 6.0 around 8.68. Hanger widths are stamped on the bottom, 145 and 155. So on a 8.5, 5.5's would magic carpet a smidge, and the axles on the 6.0's would hotdog a bit. 

Thanks for the info man

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 35
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 07:20:28 PM »
SIZE GUIDE:

- 4.25 (6.5" Axle) - Suitable for 6.5 – 7.25 inch decks

- 5.0 (7.6" Axle) - Suitable for 7.5 – 7.875 inch decks

- 5.25 (8.0" Axle) - Suitable for 7.875 – 8.25 inch decks

- 5.5 (8.375" Axle) - Suitable for 8.25 – 8.6 inch decks

- 6.0 (8.75" Axle) - Suitable for 8.6 - 9.0 inch decks

Got this from Parade
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

FatGuy92

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 566
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 08:59:47 PM »
Anyone know weight (raws and hollows) and how much it pushes out WB?

Edit for spelling (damn autocorrect)*
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 12:02:23 AM by FatGuy92 »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 11:14:48 PM »
Anyone know weight (rates and hollows) and how much it pushes out WB?
wb is very close to ace!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

antarctica

• why
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2021, 08:13:14 AM »
How is the pinch and grind on these? Also does anybody know the exact height.

baustin

• Rep: 115
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2021, 08:28:23 AM »
For some reason I get the feeling Film are like the French version of Royals. Budget to mid level trucks with short wheelbase and performance that no one has sung the praises of but no one who rides them seems to mind. I’d still be tempted to try them if I could get my hands on them in the US though

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2021, 08:48:44 AM »
They do have a short wheelbase but please never compare them to Royals ever again.  I have a pair and think they are awesome.  Great quality, grind really well and turn great. 

I happened to luck out to get a pair in the US since I am friends with a mega gear nerd.  I think anyone that likes Indys or Aces would really like them.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

Bongwater Mojito

• Rep: 50
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2021, 08:58:46 AM »
Quoting myself from the other topic:

Been on them since February 2019, here are some measurements for 5.5"/145 model, which I have waiting to replace current ones:

- weight 361g
- height 53mm
- hanger width 143mm
- axle width 210mm
- WB change +2 7/8" (73mm)

Wanted to try something new, and price was right for us Europeans. Had bit problems breaking the bushings in, but after few sessions all was good for me. Turn is good, not as fast as Aces, but adequate. For an old guy doing slappies, works well at least. Baseplate sticks out enough to clear tail/noseslides with 53mm wheels. Easier to wheelbite than Aces, but hasn't really been a problem.

Still riding them, still happy. Did replace pivot cups with Riptide though, Indy ones fit perfectly.

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -765
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2021, 08:59:20 AM »
They do have a short wheelbase but please never compare them to Royals ever again.  I have a pair and think they are awesome.  Great quality, grind really well and turn great. 

I happened to luck out to get a pair in the US since I am friends with a mega gear nerd.  I think anyone that likes Indys or Aces would really like them.

This is probably a really hard question to answer so if it is dont worry ha

Where do you see them performing between ace and venture ?

Are rotational trucks easier on them cos of the small wheelbase?

I want to try them now lol
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

SneakySecrets

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1238
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2021, 09:02:22 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I would say they are much closer to indy and ace than venture.  I can switch between films and Indy no problem.  If I get any more specific than that, I’d just be making shit up, haha.  I’m sure there are nerds that can answer that question in much greater detail.
When nothing in society deserves respect, we should fashion for ourselves in solitude new silent loyalties.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2021, 09:45:49 AM »

antarctica

• why
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2021, 10:21:16 AM »
Quoting myself from the other topic:

Expand Quote
Been on them since February 2019, here are some measurements for 5.5"/145 model, which I have waiting to replace current ones:

- weight 361g
- height 53mm
- hanger width 143mm
- axle width 210mm
- WB change +2 7/8" (73mm)

Wanted to try something new, and price was right for us Europeans. Had bit problems breaking the bushings in, but after few sessions all was good for me. Turn is good, not as fast as Aces, but adequate. For an old guy doing slappies, works well at least. Baseplate sticks out enough to clear tail/noseslides with 53mm wheels. Easier to wheelbite than Aces, but hasn't really been a problem.

[close]

Still riding them, still happy. Did replace pivot cups with Riptide though, Indy ones fit perfectly.

Pretty excited to try these now. I feel like this brand has alot of potential, if they got some more big names on their team I feel like people would stop writting them off as cheap royal-like trucks. That being said I have yet to try them but I doubt theyll be bad.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2021, 11:10:47 AM »

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 871
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2021, 12:12:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

5.5 is 8.25", maybe a thread over. These are the standards, didn't do the hollows but should be the same since I think it's the same hanger. This is with both the ruler and other axle pushed up against a table leg to make sure they're flush.

https://i.imgur.com/xoBBzkO.jpg

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2021, 12:25:28 PM »
For people in the USA who want to try them:

https://kineticskateboarding.com/products/film-hollow-kingpin-trucks?_pos=2&_sid=53b5ad48a&_ss=r
https://libraryskateshop.com/products/film-trucks-hollow-5-5?_pos=1&_sid=5ab2d40cf&_ss=r
https://eurotings.com/collections/all-film

Never bought from Eurotings, but I cannot speak highly enough of Kinetic and Library.

Library is one of the best shops going and Kinetic is awesome too. Ive ordered from ET a couple times and it's been a mixed bag. First I ordered hollows and they sent me standards, so instead of dealing with the hassle of shipping them back for an exchange I just ordered a set of standards and had them ship me hollows, which they did and hooked me up with some "sorry about that" stickers and bushings which was rad. The last time I ordered some hard bushings and after like 2-3 weeks of them not showing up or giving me an order update I emailed them. They said the bushings were out of stock but they were hoping to get some in soon (when I asked what soon meant they said in a month or two) ... Which would have been fine if theyd told me that, but instead they just took my money and were apparently not planning to ship anything for several months or informing me that was the plan.

I asked for a refund and hit Jeremie Daclin up on IG, he got back to me right away and sent me a pack of hard bushings, and even with international shipping it wasn't really much more than it would have been from ET. Daclin is a good dude.

So I'd say if you're out west ET might be cheaper shipping wise, but if you're east or Mid-Atlantic then I'd definitely use library and kin/noc

antarctica

• why
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2021, 06:13:48 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

5.5 is 8.25", maybe a thread over. These are the standards, didn't do the hollows but should be the same since I think it's the same hanger. This is with both the ruler and other axle pushed up against a table leg to make sure they're flush.

Okay so the 5.5s are 100% 8.25? So does that mean the 6.0s are 8.75 or are those still 8.68?

palelight

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2021, 07:29:47 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Okay so the 5.5s are 100% 8.25? So does that mean the 6.0s are 8.75 or are those still 8.68?

That's my bad man. Trust his measurements. Everything I'd read about them (and Daclin's interview) talked about using old Indy sizing. The measurements on this site back up the 8.25." Scroll down for the measurements and the fine print. Looks like their measurements for the 6.0's are 8.75." They mention updated baseplates (no more 6 hole pattern), so maybe they did a revision with the sizes?
https://offsetskatesupply.co.uk/product/film-new-film-trucks/

bigdave

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 180
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2021, 08:12:03 PM »
I very much like the idea of riding Films. I very much ride 9"ish boards and thusly do not think its feasible.   
ok thanks

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 75
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2021, 09:12:49 PM »
I very much like the idea of riding Films. I very much ride 9"ish boards and thusly do not think its feasible.   
I ride 6.0s on 9" inch-is boards and it's fine

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2021, 11:13:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

That's my bad man. Trust his measurements. Everything I'd read about them (and Daclin's interview) talked about using old Indy sizing. The measurements on this site back up the 8.25." Scroll down for the measurements and the fine print. Looks like their measurements for the 6.0's are 8.75." They mention updated baseplates (no more 6 hole pattern), so maybe they did a revision with the sizes?

Offset is Tony Gale who is a British freestyle pro. Really good guy and a big Ole gear nerd. I've had some long exchanges about woodshops and trucks with him and he helped me track down a deck that I'd been looking for for a while. I would definitely consider him to be an expert, especially in regards to UK and euro companies, and he's a good dude to hit up if you have any questions about this kind of stuff.

anon

• Rep: 53
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2021, 11:26:21 PM »
anyone got 5.25s they can measure the height of?
this page
says they're 55mm tall while the 5.5s are 54mm tall
doesn't seem right

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2021, 04:46:54 AM »
Expand Quote

I happened to luck out to get a pair in the US since I am friends with a handsome, brilliant, big dick mega-stud.  I think anyone that likes Indys or Aces would really like them.
[close]

Definitely closer to Ace. I'd describe them is kind of a hybrid of Ace and thunder. They've got that kind of deep and satisfying turn like Ace but with the snappy nearly instant response of a thunder. This is kind of a weird one and I'm not sure how many people have ever tried these but the overall feel is quite similar to Theeve TI-hangers but obviously much heavier.

I wouldn't say the short wb necessarily makes things easier but if you're coming from a similarly compact wb truck like Ace or theeve or even indy then it shouldn't be much of an adjustment. Everyone should be aware that there is a difference between the hollow and standard WB though, at least in the 5.5. I can't remember the exact numbers but the hollows are wider by a decent margin. It's really weird because visually they look identical and it's not a "cast vs forged" thing. I think I even swapped hangers and re-measured and came to the conclusion that it was something with the baseplates. There's an old thread on here discussing it where I posted pics and measurements if anyone cares enough to dig it up.

antarctica

• why
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2021, 06:03:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Its alright man im only ordering a pair this weekend so didnt purchase any by mistake lol, think im gonna go with the 5.5s because I didnt mind how ace 44 classics felt on 8.5.

If youre riding 9.0 popsicles then yeah prob not but if your skating more shaped stuff then I almost feel like a 8.75 truck would work better.

antarctica

• why
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2021, 06:10:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

I happened to luck out to get a pair in the US since I am friends with a handsome, brilliant, big dick mega-stud.  I think anyone that likes Indys or Aces would really like them.
[close]

[close]

Definitely closer to Ace. I'd describe them is kind of a hybrid of Ace and thunder. They've got that kind of deep and satisfying turn like Ace but with the snappy nearly instant response of a thunder. This is kind of a weird one and I'm not sure how many people have ever tried these but the overall feel is quite similar to Theeve TI-hangers but obviously much heavier.

I wouldn't say the short wb necessarily makes things easier but if you're coming from a similarly compact wb truck like Ace or theeve or even indy then it shouldn't be much of an adjustment. Everyone should be aware that there is a difference between the hollow and standard WB though, at least in the 5.5. I can't remember the exact numbers but the hollows are wider by a decent margin. It's really weird because visually they look identical and it's not a "cast vs forged" thing. I think I even swapped hangers and re-measured and came to the conclusion that it was something with the baseplates. There's an old thread on here discussing it where I posted pics and measurements if anyone cares enough to dig it up.

What size board(s) did you skate the 5.5s with? Just curious

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2021, 06:19:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

x-post from another thread:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just grabbed a pair of Film 5.25s as I've wanted to try a set for a while.

I'm very impressed with the build quality and little design details on first unboxing, pretty great for a pair of sub £40 trucks.

[close]

Report back how you like em. I tried then with bones bushings and did not like them that much, too high for me and the trucks got stuck, I assume it was the pivot cup.
[close]

Pivot cups sticking were the issue for me. I use shaved down thunder too bushings (stock bottoms) and threw some industrial grease in the pivot cups and I love them now.
[close]

Pivot cups prob here too. ACE riptide pivot cups are the hack. Love the FILMS. So good. The 6.0 are closer to 8.625, FYI.

antarctica

• why
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2021, 06:37:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

x-post from another thread:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I just grabbed a pair of Film 5.25s as I've wanted to try a set for a while.

I'm very impressed with the build quality and little design details on first unboxing, pretty great for a pair of sub £40 trucks.

[close]

Report back how you like em. I tried then with bones bushings and did not like them that much, too high for me and the trucks got stuck, I assume it was the pivot cup.
[close]

Pivot cups sticking were the issue for me. I use shaved down thunder too bushings (stock bottoms) and threw some industrial grease in the pivot cups and I love them now.
[close]

Pivot cups prob here too. ACE riptide pivot cups are the hack. Love the FILMS. So good. The 6.0 are closer to 8.625, FYI.
[close]

Im assuming they did tweak the axle sizes when they updated the baseplates like palelight said because the newer baseplates also have a different logo/font aswell as the absence of the other holes. I attached two pics of random trucks but you can see the difference in baseplates.