Author Topic: Skateboarding has changed...  (Read 11279 times)

PERILL

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -1
  • Heh, yeah.
Re: Skateboarding has changed...
« Reply #120 on: April 18, 2021, 03:11:01 PM »
You're probably suffering from what I call post-trend syndrome. It's when you feel like something gets watered down as a consequence of it becoming more popular.

I can't blame you, cuz you're right. Skateboarding has changed. It did get more trendy. It did get watered down. The community isn't nearly as tight knit and pro skaters have lost relevance with the uprise of Youtube and Instagram.

But you gotta see the good with the bad. More people are skating now more than ever. The community is more diverse than ever. Skateboarding as a whole is better than it's been in the history of... ever.

And I'm not sorry to say it's going to continue to grow and change even more. One day there's gonna be a kid born in 2010 on here talking about how they miss the good old days when "Doll" came out. And after your eyes roll to the back of your head, you can tell them what I'm about to tell you right now-

Stop bitching and go skate.

The Ghost of Lenny Kirk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
« Reply #121 on: April 18, 2021, 03:14:57 PM »
id definitely pay for a video magazine that put all the best stuff from the month into an easy to digest format. theres literally too much shit to go thru.....411VM come back...........

Kanye Omari West

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -360
« Reply #122 on: April 18, 2021, 08:02:41 PM »
The word you're looking for is "disposable"

Disposable and over saturated. It's nowhere because it's everywhere. It's nothing because it's everything. The days where you had to wait 2 to 3 years for a quality video are over and nothing holds weight anymore. At least not like it used to. I like skateboarding today but I cherished it more back in the day. Just feels like nobody really cares about it or appreciates it like even a decade ago.

OldCandy

• Rep: 22
  • cant shuv
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #123 on: April 18, 2021, 09:01:11 PM »
id definitely pay for a video magazine that put all the best stuff from the month into an easy to digest format. theres literally too much shit to go thru.....411VM come back...........

watch skateline
Nah i skate big boards cause i got big ass feet and a big ass dick

fakie butt drop

• Rep: 12
  • it is what it is
« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2021, 09:26:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

watch skateline
Gary Rodgers gives me diarrhea

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 81
« Reply #125 on: April 18, 2021, 11:58:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

watch skateline
[close]

Then just click the links in the video discription without watching it. Same for nine club.

Jean-Ralphio Zaperstein

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 664
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2021, 06:20:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

watch skateline
[close]
[close]

Then just click the links in the video discription without watching it. Same for nine club.
Plenty of options
https://cafecremeblog.com/2020/12/16/2020-gourmet-selection/
quartersnacks top10 for the links
unfollow every skate media/pros and just watch what free skatemag posts on the site for example

hairdo

• Rep: -15
« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2021, 06:56:30 AM »
I don't think skateboarding has fundamentally changed that much since 2000.

there have been various trends in clothes and what type of terrain people skate but the tricks and equipment have basically been the same for like 20 years.  I've been riding pretty much the same setup for 2 decades . and even the same kind of shoes for the most part

there have been some big changes demographically. a lot more women and girls skate now. it used to be a white boy sport but now it seems not as much. it used to be super American and even very "California" but now there are tons of skater everywhere in the USA and in Europe. you also see a lot more older guys and small kids skating now than before.

there are fewer spots but a lot more skateparks.

homegrown83

• Rep: -83
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2021, 07:40:10 PM »
I wish there were more full length team videos again.

Wheelbyte

• Rep: -34
« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2021, 02:40:25 AM »
more mental illness
more suicide
more OD
more pre term babies
more special needs
more corporate sponsorship
more money
more risk aversion
more gay
more chubbies
more soft option spinoffs like scooter kids
--------------------------------------------------
less hard-ons
less flamboyance
less originality
less unwanted pregnancies
less trashy ho's
less criminality
less murders

freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose

lahloid

• Rep: 0
  • Compulsory Collectivism
« Reply #130 on: April 20, 2021, 07:16:12 AM »
OP;

Your betters have spoken and your era sucks boomer.

Skateboarding is more inclusive as you are clearly shown;

I'm 31 and you sound like the old bitter dudes at the local.

I am fine with burning all the relics.

fuck this 24/7 nostalgia shit. its a disease.

people waxing poetic about that era is truly fucking bizarre

Ok millennial

...you're old. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but you kinda sorta need to fuck off.

Grandpa please stop posting on SLAP, I put menikamati in the VCR for you all you have to do is turn the TV on and press play.

focus this thread plz.

Generally speaking skating was garbage from 1999 to 2012.

kids now are smarter than you were back then and they don’t give a fuck about what you think is cool. They CANNOT EVEN IMAGINE caring about what you think.

Now that you see how inclusive skating is, and everyone is welcome...other than you

Your salvation, ironically, lies in Instagram. I follow older dudes around my age, 50, just cruising around, doing slappies rolling off curbs crusty 5/8” ollies and other lame shit. You can find ‘em all there, shaped board beer drinking slappy bro, 80’s vert guy, on and on.

Leave the cool stuff for these cool kids.
They do it better than we ever did

Come on into the old guy hot tub with our grapefruit sized salt and pepper testicles. The water’s lukewarm and so is the beer.

The skatepark is ours at dawn! (cause my bladder won’t let me get more than 3 hours of continuous sleep)

Seeya

Mcidraque

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 211
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #131 on: April 20, 2021, 09:45:43 PM »

Come on into the old guy hot tub with our grapefruit sized salt and pepper testicles. The water’s lukewarm and so is the beer.

The skatepark is ours at dawn! (cause my bladder won’t let me get more than 3 hours of continuous sleep)

Seeya

sometimes I wish English was my mother language so i could put together sentences like that. cheers

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1097
« Reply #132 on: April 20, 2021, 10:14:36 PM »
OP;

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Ok millennial
[close]

Expand Quote
...you're old. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but you kinda sorta need to fuck off.
[close]

Expand Quote
Grandpa please stop posting on SLAP, I put menikamati in the VCR for you all you have to do is turn the TV on and press play.
[close]

Expand Quote
focus this thread plz.
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
kids now are smarter than you were back then and they don’t give a fuck about what you think is cool. They CANNOT EVEN IMAGINE caring about what you think.
[close]

Now that you see how inclusive skating is, and everyone is welcome...other than you

Expand Quote
[close]

Your salvation, ironically, lies in Instagram. I follow older dudes around my age, 50, just cruising around, doing slappies rolling off curbs crusty 5/8” ollies and other lame shit. You can find ‘em all there, shaped board beer drinking slappy bro, 80’s vert guy, on and on.

Expand Quote
[close]

Seeya

lol
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2021, 12:56:19 AM »
OP;

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Ok millennial
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
focus this thread plz.
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Seeya

Hahahaha

Mrskillson

• Rep: 5
« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2021, 02:05:42 AM »
OP;

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Ok millennial
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
focus this thread plz.
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

Seeya

Go ahead and lock this one down haha

#SaveIpath

• Rep: -2
« Reply #135 on: April 21, 2021, 02:12:19 AM »

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #136 on: April 21, 2021, 03:58:30 AM »
Instead of complaining that skateboarding g has changed let’s talk about the change you guys want to see in these coming times. Me I’d like to see more flow skating that you can relate to, John gardner is a prime example. I also want to see more freestyle tricks in videos, a good freestyle thrown into a line can really spice things up

Wheelbyte

• Rep: -34
« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2021, 09:27:45 PM »
UN depopulation programs have many faces

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #138 on: April 30, 2021, 05:23:56 AM »
I dont miss the handrail skinny jean era at all, but I do look forward to the day when it somehow gets revived and comes back into style. Then I’ll be able to laugh at everyone who makes the same mistakes we did as kids and wears the same ugly striped sweaters and girls jeans. Like currently I get a chuckle whenever I see kids in JNCOs or long jorts or whatever, because I wore that shit when I was a kid and when I look back now I can see that it both looked fucking stupid and was deeply impractical. But that’s life! It rocks. Keep skating.

Hands down Hass out

• Rep: 3
  • 奇妙な滞在
« Reply #139 on: April 30, 2021, 10:08:13 AM »
You can choose to watch this whole video and make these your "big pros" if you want. The rest of us will watch the "cruising" skaters and enjoy seeing skating develop.

Imagine being surprised shit switched up in a 20 year gap.

I feel legitimately sad for a balding James Brockman. The man was ripping when he came out then eventually faded into the background.

He didn't deserve to lose his hair as well.

To add to the topic: Remember when Garrett Hill tre flip 50'd a handrail but got kooked heavy because his pants legs were different colors? Not so sure that would be the case today.

baaaaaaguette

« Reply #140 on: April 30, 2021, 10:53:56 AM »
I dont miss the handrail skinny jean era at all, but I do look forward to the day when it somehow gets revived and comes back into style. Then I’ll be able to laugh at everyone who makes the same mistakes we did as kids and wears the same ugly striped sweaters and girls jeans. Like currently I get a chuckle whenever I see kids in JNCOs or long jorts or whatever, because I wore that shit when I was a kid and when I look back now I can see that it both looked fucking stupid and was deeply impractical. But that’s life! It rocks. Keep skating.

The Freddy Krueger sweaters and wallet chains combo always crack me the fuck up when I rewatch old vids. Man that era was truly something

dustyassrocketswitchv

• Rep: -137
« Reply #141 on: April 30, 2021, 04:37:58 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Jesus Christ you boomers are ridiculous.  Baker Zero and Crailtap are not the only brands that exist. Quasi literally just dropped a 50 minute long full length video at the beginning of the week.
[close]

Hahaha boomer...are you fucking regular?  I'm a millenial.
[close]

"Boomer" as an insult no longer means a literal baby boomer, just someone who is out of touch with the current generation/pop culture. You'd know that if you weren't such a fucking BOOMER.

gotcha bitch.  People older than 31 love this current state of skating. Get with times or pick up golf
big texas cummer

mj23

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #142 on: April 30, 2021, 05:19:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The Freddy Krueger sweaters and wallet chains combo always crack me the fuck up when I rewatch old vids. Man that era was truly something
It’ll come back, somehow, everything always does. A few spikey jacket pig wheels LA kids are already on the come up, we’re hitting the 20 year mark, I think it might be time...

Cheshire Cat

• Rep: 63
« Reply #143 on: May 01, 2021, 02:29:55 PM »
War... Has changed.

nolliecrooked

• Rep: -23
« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2021, 08:47:15 PM »
the only thing I dont like about skating nowdays is that, EVERYONE has opinion/voice, so back in the day, if a guy was a dope skater but complete shithead (brian wenning, danny renaud, etc), woudnt matter, cuz why would you care? only people next to problematic/idiot pros would care, you would just watch their part and move on.

outside that I guess as older people (I'm only 29 but still) we need to have the knowledge to understand the changes and keep adapting, cuz outside personality and social media clown stuff, skating been as fire as ever, we have so many styles, so much footage every year, its moving clearly for the best, also the culture will never die, doesnt matter how many skatepark heroes/jocks born, there always will be new generation kids here and there that are real skateboarders, we just need to filter.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #145 on: May 05, 2021, 01:51:37 AM »
the only thing I dont like about skating nowdays is that, EVERYONE has opinion/voice, so back in the day, if a guy was a dope skater but complete shithead (brian wenning, danny renaud, etc), woudnt matter, cuz why would you care? only people next to problematic/idiot pros would care, you would just watch their part and move on.

So you liked it better back when general communication was less developed, voices curated by the industry, horrible stuff easily swept under the rug and most skaters worldwide had no choice but monetarily support abusers, rapists, racists and general assholes unknowingly? Not trying to give you shit or put words in your mouth, just puzzled because that's how I see this whole thing. Everyone has a voice and should be able to speak it, it's the old model that mythified pros as people just based on 'skate skill' (gah) and their portrayal in marketing that was a lie. It's better out of the way so that the pros of tomorrow are actually good role models for the kids, much better world than one where over 4 million people follow a rapist on IG because Nike once called their kickflip good. Now the people actually gets to pick their heroes if that makes sense instead of being force fed some bullshit with good skating as a facade and an excuse - can't really see anything wrong with that.

nolliecrooked

• Rep: -23
« Reply #146 on: May 05, 2021, 01:26:50 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

So you liked it better back when general communication was less developed, voices curated by the industry, horrible stuff easily swept under the rug and most skaters worldwide had no choice but monetarily support abusers, rapists, racists and general assholes unknowingly? Not trying to give you shit or put words in your mouth, just puzzled because that's how I see this whole thing. Everyone has a voice and should be able to speak it, it's the old model that mythified pros as people just based on 'skate skill' (gah) and their portrayal in marketing that was a lie. It's better out of the way so that the pros of tomorrow are actually good role models for the kids, much better world than one where over 4 million people follow a rapist on IG because Nike once called their kickflip good. Now the people actually gets to pick their heroes if that makes sense instead of being force fed some bullshit with good skating as a facade and an excuse - can't really see anything wrong with that.

jesus christ, you went deep on this one lol, I can clearly see your point, but I was saying more like, exposing a videopart as art, trick selection, style etc, and this being unique and so good was enough for me, the aspect you are saying is right, but at the same time we can apply to every area of society, and people speaking their minds out doesnt change that to a deeper level, bullshit still happening, people can show off as good person, talk a lot and be a really bad person behind the cameras, so idk... but I can see your point, dont think I'm against free speech or anything, I was talking about the skating!! less talking more skating, also less short insta clips, more videoparts, this was my point, and sorry if you find hard to understand, I'm from BR, my english isn't very good, sorry!

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1569
« Reply #147 on: May 05, 2021, 03:02:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

jesus christ, you went deep on this one lol, I can clearly see your point, but I was saying more like, exposing a videopart as art, trick selection, style etc, and this being unique and so good was enough for me, the aspect you are saying is right, but at the same time we can apply to every area of society, and people speaking their minds out doesnt change that to a deeper level, bullshit still happening, people can show off as good person, talk a lot and be a really bad person behind the cameras, so idk... but I can see your point, dont think I'm against free speech or anything, I was talking about the skating!! less talking more skating, also less short insta clips, more videoparts, this was my point, and sorry if you find hard to understand, I'm from BR, my english isn't very good, sorry!

Your English is perfect, I wouldn't have even suspected you weren't a native speaker until you pointed it out. Honestly I can see your point too, there is both good and bad to the incessant bombardment of information we live in right now, but like most every situation there are positives to be embraced in the trade-off - 'behind the cameras' becoming less of a thing than it ever was is questionable under many aspects, but that also makes hypocrisy easier for skateboarders and consumers to observe and call out, enabling them to pick who they would really want to support despite all the ridiculous marketing and flashy paint over the holes in the wall out there. It's OK to be nostalgic of what felt like more simple times but in reality I'm not sure things were that more simple pre-www, we were just younger and more subjected to conveniently passive consumerism with much less to think and analyze, and we were content barely even thinking who we were really supporting assuming that ads, videos and magazines were honest clues of quality. Now communication is just a lot easier both for entrepreneurs/small brands/alternatives to what was cultivated and branded as the main system for decades, and for the people, be it skateboarders between themselves or occasionally and unfortunately the victims of certain skateboarders. I also do miss the quality of video parts but honestly, people are still making great indie full-lengths worldwide so after a while it becomes a matter of losing one's old habits of dependency on either Thrasher or Instagram and finding the organic videos and crews to get hyped on and connect with. Many fantastic ones from Brazil too. Cheers!

Uh Oh

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 363

ok boomer

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • Gnar Kook
« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2021, 07:05:08 PM »